Looking to run a campaign where everyone is a macho 80's action hero ala Predator. What system would be best for this...

Looking to run a campaign where everyone is a macho 80's action hero ala Predator. What system would be best for this? Prefer something that has suppression and generally good firearm rules. Setting doesn't matter as I'll just not use things like cyber-goblins anyway.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xIjHI3BzBPQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Macho Women with Guns

All Outta Bubblegum?

As amazing as those rules are I was looking for something more concrete. Has pretty good potential for a fun little oneshot though.

Full Catachan party in Only War

Dungeon world

pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there. It has fast easy to use mechsnics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot cheaper than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars. There is no reason for extra rules when it is he role playing that matters. Dungeon World is fast and innovative and still feels exactly like the spirit of ADND before DnD 3.5 destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of role players.

Does it have gun rules?

Deathwatch.

No but you can home brew them fast and easy, it's also not overly lethal like its lesser cousin, apocalypse world.

GURPS

GURPS. If you want big guns done well and lots of cool 80's karate it has everything you could possibly want.

Take a look at the martial arts book and the High tech books. They have everything you need beside the core rule book.

Don't let the memes fool you, GURPS is not hard. My party learned it in an afternoon and we now use it for pretty much everything.

>pretending to be a DW shill

>Try Dungeon World!
>It's totally now what you are looking for nor it's even remotely playable, but I got paid 1 cent for 5 posts about how great the game is

>Take a look at the martial arts book and the High tech books. They have everything you need beside the core rule book.
You've misspelled Tactical Shooting. Because that's what OP really needs, you mongoloid

It is what OP is looking for. It's the best RPG currently out there. If you are so sure it is not, name a better one.

Savage World is a really good system for that sort of thing

GURPS

No you turbomong.
What OP needs is GURPS Action. Literally made for 80s action movies.

Savage Worlds is an unbalanced generic 3.5 clone with the dumbest initiative system known to man.

> game that allows you to make an ability that can literally destroy the universe for 100 character points.

Yeah no thanks.

GURPS. Any retroclone. Apocalypse World.

Apocalypse World is overly gritty shit that is too lethal and doesn't empower the players.

Same for OSR rules except with ADND attack matrix bullshit. Boring ass games. Dungeon World IS an OSR game, too, by the way, therefore that suggestion is irrelevant.

Dungeons and Dragons, Edition 3.5

Just kidding, what you REALLY want is Dark Heresy

>> game that allows you to make an ability that can literally destroy the universe for 100 character points.
>Yeah no thanks.

>>I can't say "no" when I GM

Well, the day has finally come. This thread is the prophesied memepocalypse.
Sorry, OP, it could have been a cool thread.

For fuckingever RPG system will always cause great wars on Veeky Forums

And Tactical Shooting, which was written to allow half of the shit they pull in Predator and Arnie alone in Commando.

okay what games do you like

>No GURPS
>No OSR game
>No Apocalypse World
>No Savage World

Okay, fuck, I dunno then. Play FATE, I guess, you can set the aspects of the characters to make the campaign feel as empowering or disempowering as you want.

You know, I've had a lot of good results playing Dungeon World as I think it definitely has its place depending on what a group is looking for, but the stupid "DW is objectively the best system ever" shitposting means its impossible to be taken seriously recommending it and that's kind of a bummer, honestly.

These aren't really wars, though, just a meme-loving fuck sperging about every system mentioned, and pretending to be one of those supposedly omnipresent Dungeon World shills (that he has to pretend to be or everyone would forget they were supposed to exist) haranguing everyone with all his copypasta responses.

Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales.

It's a Riddle of Steel successor that has really good firearms rules. The official Beta release only is dieselpunk/WWII level of tech, there's already been a bunch of iconic 80s action guns statted out by the /SoS/ general.

Suppression fire is lethal as all hell to anyone who tries to go through it.

Can we at least agree that GURPS is the correct system for this setting?

It's the correct system for everything.

>Game that gives the GM an option to include a ability that when taken with the correct enhancements allows a TURBONIGGER-tier munchkin to create a world ending attack.

>Game that allows an amazing amount of customization and combat is as close to dwarf fort as most RPGs come.

Have ran more than a dozen campaigns in GURPS as the GM and everyone I've had sit down for the first time had a pretty much full grasp on the rules an hour in and told me that they had never played a more "realistic" game before. Even the 5e fags liked it.

Does anyone have that picture where the guy is like "hey Tom, what's the best system for -"
and it says GURPS fucking everywhere.

You fucking saved my life, I've been looking for this forever.

Have a free variant.

fucking lol

Have fun.

>CTRL F
>no Feng Shui or Feng Shui 2
Are you fucking serious? That system was made for action movie games!

GURPS is still better though, why play a worse system?

True

Even more true, legit specifically designed for this.

So were some of the GURPS Splatbooks.

And before you say that the entire system is designed around that idea and GURPS is not, please remember that you are wrong.

GURPS allows the DM to pick and choose which rules he wants to implement and if he chooses to only implement the rules that pertain to this kind of game then it is literally designed specifically for this setting.

That is great

This is like 5core in the historical wargaming general

i haven't played 5core but it sounds decent

I'm on to you, Satan.

Isn't Feng Shui more hong-kong style, with doing backflips while shooting micro-uzis?
I was wanting a system that has it's fights play out exactly like this: youtube.com/watch?v=xIjHI3BzBPQ

GURPS.

CotV even has rules for a minigun in the starter set of weapons, though you might ned to use cover a little bit more than Arnie.

GURPS has rules for almost every minigun ever made including the old ones you turned with a crank.

memers and shills, fuck off

Go back to the 5e thread retard

Personally, if I were to try to run such a thing, I'd go with Savage Worlds. Fairly simple, yet not lacking mechanics, character creation is both simple and quick, and it's good for small unit tactics.

Being made for something doesn't mean it's good. Shadowrun is made for cyberpunk and drops the ball mechanically quite regularly.

But Gurps Action is good user

I'm not actually disputing that, I'm just saying that being made for something isn't proof of quality.

I'm sure it's pretty alright, GURPS supplements tend to be, though I'm not personally wowed by the system (frankly, I find that unless I want excessive detail, it doesn't have much to offer that a system with less clutter doesn't also offer.

Even more honestly, I'd take BESM second over GURPS.

Clearly, you want "Deluxe Revised Recon".

It can be. But if you set your group up to make 80s action movie heroes and throw 80s action movie scenes at them, it can play as 80s Action: The Game. Mowing through mooks, running out of ammo when it's dramatically appropriate, and a shotgun doing more damage when you rack the slide (and make the sound effect as you do it) all reinforce that vibe.

Quit shilling your garbage, and quit memeing at OP, summerfuck.

This is the same system, but updated a bit to add body armor and a couple of stat differences between different weapons. Still really minimalist, and after a bit of page format tweaking, it still fits on one page.

It's not excessive, and if you find it that way you can pare it to the bone at will too. You can just plain say "fuck it, we aren't using this" for a lot of stuff.

At it's base, it's just like "roll against this target number", "Roll an opposed roll against this guy", "make roll, modify by these factors".

Just because you can do a campaign that has like, everything, doesn't mean you should. Of course, you CAN have a lot of stuff. You could totally do League of Extraordinary Gentlemen/X-Files levels of "everything is there man".

But that would get cumbersome.

Seriously, look at Gurps Actions. It gives very solid examples of how to do the paring down thing. One is "don't fucking bother with mooks, if they get hit, they are down, because they are mooks".

>What system

Oldfag reporting. Good luck finding a GM who remembers the 80s. The best system in the world can't compensate for a millennial in the driver's seat.

there is one system wich could do that, but it's a brasillian system with no translation

in case you want it, it's called 3d&t(or "defensores de tóquio" for the earlier iterations)
it's the dumb and easy version of gurps

ps: it's weeb-focused, but so generic you could run a campaign of 'elections' with enough tweaking

>Feng Shui 2
Wait, what?
When?

Real oldfag here.
Playing with 80s attitude and with 80s GM would mean following:
- game is treated as competition
- the "goal" is to "win" instead of just having fun
- high octane cheesy action shit is treated dead serious

But nice meme

November last year.

Bloodpouch

So would it be appropriate to call the new Millenial idea of '80s shit "neo-80s," or "retro-80s," or something like that?

>the new Millenial idea
Dude, nothing Millennial is new.

Okay, fine. I'm referring to the recent trend of vaporwave and shit like Kung Fury that goes out of its way to appeal to that idea and aesthetic of the 80s without actually understanding what it was.

I'd call it '80s-punk, but that doesn't even flow well.

Stop being pedantic, you know what the fuck I'm talking about.

>just another Friday night out with the boys.jpg

Shit like Kung Fury and Blood Dragon are what the 80's were about and looked like through non rose colored goggles grandpa

Nonsense, the other guy's right. Those things are exaggerated to the point of being ludicrous. And frequently hit false notes, to boot. (Kung Fury was funny for the first five minutes, then it was all downhill)

For what the 80s actually looked like, Stranger Things is a better series.

Friday Night Firefight?

That's only part of Interlock.

What OP describes is pretty much high-level Cyberpunk 2020 but with retro guns.

Strike! with everyone recommended to play Archer classed characters and the "hardcore" cover rules?

>Overblown parody is how things really were in the past
Americans and their theme park verions of everything...

Straight To VHS is exactly what you're looking for

This and Feng Shui 2 minus the Chinese stuff are my recommendations too.

I would reccomend Mutants and Masterminds.

heros that can suvive anything, check.
waves upon waves of mooks, check.
improbable stunts built in, check.
Need to apply common sense when building the characters, double check

The firearm specific rules are meah, but reskinning the superpowers as guns lets the players choose how their hero is going to work and gives everyone a niche, just like an action film.
It is possable to build a pup, but if they are building within the constraints of "macho 80's action hero" you should be golden.

But M&M is a shitty system though.

But Kung Fury sucked and Blood Dragon was fucking awesome.

Fuck off, kiddo - don't come back til your voice changes.
Oh, and nice meme. 0/10 with sprinkles on top.

second

>It's not excessive, and if you find it that way you can pare it to the bone at will too. You can just plain say "fuck it, we aren't using this" for a lot of stuff.

Yes, I know I can say that. I don't want to go to to the effort of trimming a system down when I know I wont use most of it. good lord, what is it with you people and treating GURPS like a gospel to be spread?

What part of " I find that unless I want excessive detail, it doesn't have much to offer that a system with less clutter doesn't also offer" don't you get? Yes, I could trim it down, or, OR, I could use a system that's already trimmed down.

GURPS fans are pushy fucks.