Playing a game of D&D with some bros

>Playing a game of D&D with some bros
>Everyone is a good aligned except ONE GUY
>He is being a straight up edgelord
>He is the only one multi-classing and is mindraping folks with friendship and suggestion spells steadily
>I am a paladin
>Tell him to stop his shit
>He tries to convince the DM to let him use necromancy to bring back dead dire wolves as allies
>DM says no
>I tell him I would straight kill him if he even attempted it (Oath of Vengence, massive hatred for undead and necromancy)
>Tries to talk the DM into making flesh and steel golems with the bones instead at a LOCAL rundown blacksmith in a dirt poor border town OVERNIGHT
>DM tells him no
>Later on we come across an obviously evil artifact that was being used by an explicit evil group to cast explicitly evil magic
>After the fight I go to break to the staff
>He tries to wrestle it away from me
>He loses the strength contest
>He attempts to use his fighter's superiority dice to try and snatch it again
>DM tells him it will cause combat to kick off
>He DOES IT ANYWAY
>DM asks if anyone else wants in on this fight that is about to kick off
>Nobody else does
>Win the initiative toss
>Hit him for 42 radiant damage with the first lick
>He is dying
>I go to break the staff
>Mage talks me out of it because it might be useful in our quest
>Tell him it is evil and must be destroyed
>Roll off for Charisma check
>He wins
>Tell him if the staff is indeed evil and its presence causes undue harm for us I will put him on the top of list of people to fuck up
>Failed death save for the edgelord
>Edgelord player asks for a little bit of help
>Fuck that. Let him lie there
>Druid saves him. He has 1 hp. We now have to kill about 80 needle blights and 30 twig blights

I read ahead. Breaking the staff? Kills all blights within a half-mile radius. The staff is an extremely evil artifact that has vampiric properties and causes madness on those who use it. Looks like I am going to have to fuck a mage next gaming session.

In b4 'Have you tried no playing D&D?'

He was just trying to play their characters. Both of them were. Not their fault you had to go full autism.

I wish that dumb forced meme would die already.

>Letting another player influence you via charisma check
wew lad

In real life people aren't as charismatic or persuasive as an in game character is. It would be rare for someone to be as strong as a barbarian or as smart as a wizard

He is trying to play a character in a way that directly causes conflict with the party. To note we have three super religious individuals (characters, not the players) and he has spat on their gods, called their gods faggots, and wrecked a temple because he hates religion.

We spent time convincing a dirt poor 17 year-old his actions were not right (he stole a holy relic for someone in exchange for 2 gold coins to feed his 3 siblings, the oldest of which was five years old) and gave him enough money to set his life back on track. Good person in a shit situation. As soon as we get the mastermind behind the attack into custody and drop him off for punishment, he snitches out the kid the we helped out and told the authorities to 'make sure he is properly punished because he knew what he was doing.'

We sealed a dark portal to a nightmare realm that was killing people which was opened by inexperienced practitioner of the dark arts. While bringing the culprit to the authorities for punishment he tells the young wizard he will let him go if he teaches him the dark arts so he can resurrect the dead.

Not to mention the time he takes on a turn. Everyone else? One and done. The move, attack/cast a spell, and perform a bonus action and second attack if applicable. Takes them all of 30 seconds if that to describe what they do. This fucker? Looking at five minutes per turn while he asks the DM if he can do several different game breaking things in rapid succession.

>PCs should be able to mind control other PCs at will because they have +30 to their "talk more gooder" skills
No

As an aside, I have no problem with the mage's actions because it makes sense. My paladin would still give the warning for obvious reasons though and will have to follow through with it because that is how he rolls. I got no beef with the mage though, it makes sense. I absolutely have beef with the edgelord's actions because he didn't want to see if the staff could be used to advance the story so much as he just wanted dark magic, in a good aligned party, with the express intent to destroy evil, and the super smity paladin.

The wizard I played in a previous game? He wouldn't have given two flying fucks. Chaotic Neutral all the way. If it wasn't directly related to him finding out the knowledge he was seeking, he couldn't give less of a shit about what was taking place.

>a person wrote this and filled a captcha

>PCs should be able to control other PCs at will because they have +30 to their "do what I say or I'll kill you" skills.

Irrelevant, social checks don't work on player characters if they don't want them to.

That's not how Charisma checks work in these situations.

When both players have valid points and two possible outcomes are up for grabs. Both make their case and the higher Charisma convinces the other PC that their choice of action, while against their choice of action, has merit and should be the proper way. That person seems to be knowledgeable in this situation and it pays to listen to them.

What it doesn't do is let them convince you to do shit against your character just because.

>Give me all your gold
What? No.
>Roll a nat 20 on Charisma
>You have to give me all your gold
I don't have to do shit. I keep my gold, you can go fuck yourself.

That is a far cry different from
>I really need this weapon to be a better fighter and keep the werewolves off our backs. The silvered greatsword would be a major boon but I don't have the funds for it. Can you give me some of your gold?
I was going to use my gold to buy a cart to get use through the werewolf infested area more quickly to reduce the amount of fighting we have to do
>I think having a fighter who can kill werewolves more effectively and usually more than one in round is better than possibly avoiding some of them with a cart
True, but I don't know.

That is when the DM might say a Charisma roll off would settle the issue. Most players would be fine with it too.

I would say your reaction was valid, however you should have done the right thing and healed him afterward. Also, either you or the DM should have reasoned with the mage that the persuasion challenge would be made with disadvantage because
a) you almost murdered an ally in pursuit of evil
b) the mage waited until after this fact to convince you
c) you could have just crushed the staff during combat because the mage had no initiative

you fucked up, now play the game

wait, why are we even referring to him as a mage? he's probably a shitty sorcerer or warlock
what the fuck game is this

The mage in question is a wizard.

Party consists of a Druid, a monk, a fighter/sorcerer (edgelord), a warlock, a wizard, a ranger, and a paladin (me). The crazy thing is, even with seven people, six of us are so on the same page in terms of what is happening and what we are doing we move the game at a good clip, edgelord keeps dragging it down drastically.

That's not crazy.
That is what That Guys do: drag down an otherwise functional group.

>Not their fault you had to go full autism
He's also playing his character.

The player with the evil character didn't have to pick an evil character in a good party though.

>forced meme
Newfag please go

>I read ahead
>cheating in a published adventure

I'll admit the guy seems to be a dick but holy shit man.

It's not too shocking. I was originially tapped to run the thing and was progressing in learning the adventure when a person who is a usual player decided they wanted to wear the DM hat instead. I was cool with that. I know how to be ignorant and just not act on stuff that I know is going to happen. It is roleplaying bro.

I know what this staff does, but my character doesn't and will act accordingly.

Seems like OP is the biggest 'that guy' in his group.

That's stupid. A LG Paladin is not that wimpy, Gygax himself proscribed death as acceptable for any Evil aligned enemy who isn't a prisoner

>He is the only one multi-classing
You want to know how I know you're a retard?

You have to be a complete dipshit to multi-class in 5e.

There is no reason for it when all but the Barbarian can cast magic if you want a magic user/melee build or what have you. You just fuck yourself up more than anything else and make it more difficult to get feats, stat boosts, or class perks.

Hell, even the barbarian is stupid to multi-class because they basically become neigh-invulnerable superhumans pretty fast.

The highest DPR builds in the game are multiclass builds

>Multiclassing is bad
>Mindrape is friends and suggestion
>DM doesn't allow guy to make sure wolves into skeletons
>No one told that guy what type of party you guys are going to be
>Charisma check on other PCs
>Being a paladin that kills others that might be mentally influenced by magic items that are evil
>Metagaming that hard
You're all the shitters

Then go play a MMO if you like using DPS builds.

Go play a game that isn't DnD if you don't like character optimization

>Making an ineffectual character
>Being the only evil character in an otherwise all good party
>Wants to perform multiple game-breaking actions in a row in a single round
>Wants to build a flesh/steel golem in one night inside a old blacksmith
>Wants to perform acts of necromancy next to three religious characters
>Wanrs to use an obviously evil item that has already caused deaths on a whim, going directly against the morals of everyone else in the seven-person party
Nope. He was the odd one out so he is ThatGuy.

I was with you man until you stated that you are gonna break the staff because you read ahead. Nigga, you cheat'n.

>Being a paladin let's me do what ever I want

>Roll Charisma to see who wins a disagreement between PCs
Shitty DM.
>I read ahead
You read ahead in a module? Jesus fucking Christ. YOU are far more That Guy than the guy you're complaining about.

>I know what this staff does, but my character doesn't and will act accordingly.
Why is it, then, that NEXT session you're going to be fucking him up, instead of THIS session? What changed between the end of that one and now? Because the way you wrote it suggests you read ahead after the argument.

You are That Guy and will remain such for the rest of your life.

>Multiclassing -> ineffectual
You are insane.

Multi classing on a evil edgy character usually means they're less effective than a properly multi classes character. Just taking it from personal experience, but typically edgy characters are poorly optimized.

I'm multicasting a Cleric/Druid for a Shaman just so I can get wild shape and go straight to Tempest Cleric. As far as I know there is no synergy with that but it fits my characters theme, idgaf.

I think it's funny people skipped past someone reading ahead in a module and then using it as justification to shit on anothe player (the mage)

Honestly this sounds like the best course of action, though I'd add a personal incentive too should my character win the charisma check, such as paying back some of the gold borrowed over the next few dungeon explorations or local quest rewards

dUDE YOU HAVE A GREAT caps group! Tension, roleplaying, drama... you sound mad but i dont think you are, yo!!

>I read ahead.
So you're a huge faggot who hates fun?

>>Roll off for Charisma check

I fucking hate people who want to play evil in and all good party. As a DM I usually stipulate to my players that if the group is leaning towards good, the only alignments I want to see are good or neutral. I have let a player be evil, with the express warning that he must either hide his intentions or go through some sort of character growth to end up neutral. Once the party detects evil, the paladin is going to break your face.

I do want to ask, if you are playing a LG paladin, why haven't you killed him anyway? Your character, if he is a true paladin, would kill him outright the moment he knew he was evil. I know that isn't the most kind thing to do to the moron who is playing that character, but its what fits your character. I care more about a cohesive story than anything else.

>we have three super religious individuals (characters, not the players) and he has spat on their gods, called their gods faggots, and wrecked a temple because he hates religion.
I have a player who does this consistently. He himself is a pretty chill dude, but whenever we get him free to play with us, he picks edgleord anti-religion fuckers.

It got a little annoying, but it also consistently gets him fucked up. Last time, he disrespected a ghost's old body by stealing the small coins over his eyes and lied about it. And then mocked the ghost's religion and other related things.

Ghost had a telekinetic attack (party was level 4 so I didn't want to age them to death if this got ugly) which slammed the Warlock (yeah) into the ceiling and then into the ground. He was down to 1 hp. He crawled back up to his feet, the ghost demanding his eyes back.

"Okay...okay...how about I give one back...?"

Telekinetic slam through an empty sarcophagus. Dead. Since he was cursed with the power of a group of Death Gods (as in, undead deities out to devour the universe), I allowed him to come back since the party was also way too deep into a tomb and needed to finish the quest, but he remained very quiet when it came to that shit from then on out.

>Your character, if he is a true paladin, would kill him outright the moment he knew he was evil.
This is idiotic.

Well let me tell the story of my group's last session, where moral arguments in the party actually did some good.

>Party exploring catacombs in ruined temple of cleric's god
>Finds massive golden crown in front of ominous sarcophagus
>Wizard wants to take it
>Cleric says no, the crown is obviously holy
>It would be blasphemy
>After some arguing the party agrees to leave the crown
>Heads to nearby town
>While party goes shopping, wizard sneaks off on his own
>Back to the temple
>Grabs the crown
>Undead priest emerges from the sarcophagus and attacks (of course)
>Wizard throws a magic missile, barely hurting him
>Flees
>Manages to get away and returns to town
>Sells the crown to a jeweler
>Meets up with the rest of the party
>They wonder where he was and why is purse is suddenly so heavy, and soon pull the truth out of him
>Cleric drags him back to the jeweler to buy the crown back
>Jeweler demands a much higher price for the crown than he bought it for, more than the party can afford
>Cleric gets mad and grabs the jeweler
>"Help! Guards! I'm being robbed!"
>Guards rush to the scene, arrest cleric and wizard

So: half the party is in jail awaiting trial for attempted robbery, and a vengeful undead priest is coming for the wizard.

Can't wait until next session. I love my players.

>DM allows CHR contests in an argument other than letting them RP it out
wew

How? If a paladin is not a cleanser of evil he's just a pansy wearing plate.

I can't stand the idea that paladins have to be goody two shoe little bitches that get pushed around by every other alignment.

Being good does not mean kind. What happened to the idea of paladins being holy crusaders, you think the guys invading Jerusalem held hands and sung kumbaya?

I mean, for fucks sake he said he's a pally of vengeance. You think a paladin of vengeance would just pick up and dust off an idiot who picks a fight with him and is openly evil? Is your brain soft?

>tl;dr I'm triggered, and I'm okay with that.

I missed the paladin of vengeance bit. Anyway, there's no way he'd know if he's Evil with a capital E or not.

>Roll off for Charisma check

Sorry, did you just say that two players made opposed Charisma checks to determine which of their speeches was more persuasive to the other players?

I mean, if that's how your group does it, sure, I guess.

Did you not get to the end, where OP read ahead in a published module to find out more about a mysterious magical item they had?

OP a shit.

>I read ahead

Maybe the player you nearly killed is that guy, maybe not. Wanna know how I know you are That Guy?

The real problem is that you read ahead you piece of fuck.

One of the tenets of vengeance is to focus on the greater evils.

>"Okay...okay...how about I give one back...?"
>Telekinetic slam through an empty sarcophagus. Dead.
I hope that was as hilarious to experience as it was to read.

>He is the only one multi-classing
Non sequitur
>Complaining about sugestion spell on player but has no problem with rolling charisma to convince a player
Hypocrisy?

You attacked him because he wanted to have the stuff? he's an edgelord but you're that guy

You're acting like all of this isn't your GM's fault.

Have you talked with other players about this?

>he just wanted dark magic, in a good aligned party, with the express intent to destroy evil, and the super smity paladin.
How is this not the GM's fault?

And people wonder why Deendeefags have a bad rep among roleplayers.

Because of a few idiots?

That said, D&D is a game that you win or lose.

It's still talked about. As is the RL 2 hour in-character argument that broke out over it.

I love my players.

Because they make up the majority of roleplayers and minorities gonna minority.

You mean they're the plebeians of roleplaying?

More like the white people of roleplaying.

>I read ahead
go die in a fire you metagaming piece of shit

yes... they should? I don't see a problem with that. lets use OP's example

the paladin is strong of faith and physically superior to those that want to keep the staff. a simple CHA roll shouldn't be able to stop someone who would in character have no reason to stop.