WIP Work In Progress General

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hGq2_EMp5vY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is there a guide for achieving that red?

Nearly finished.
After taking this I've based coated all the axe heads and will hopefully turn them look like Jade, trying to avoid making them look like traditional Necron green weapons so I'll be going a more "minty" green highlight.
Also highlighted the grey and oranges and ink the gold again to get into the runes on the shields better.
Still need to highlight the black handles which will get done when i'm finished with the axe heads and also need to do all the directional lighting with the gemstones then apply some ardcoat over them. Also need to highlight the gold and general cleaning up.

After these I'll move onto a warlock/spiritseer, a converted Farseer from the bonesinger model and some rangers I've recently stripped.

Well, I tried making ghillie capes for my Pathfinders (jungle/swamp theme, want them to have some form of modeled camo due to being behind enemy lines) but it failed hardcore.

My method was to take some fine cotton gauze, drench it in watered down white glue and flock it like a base but it's too floppy and flimsy and plain looks awful. Once the test subjects dry I might post pics.

Any other way to make good-looking camo capes without actually makinbg them with milliput/greenstuff? I'm just fucking terrible at that stuff and I don't like the sound of making 1, much less 10.

Ideas for alternate means of physical camo also appreciated. Some practical the Tau grunts would consider.

It's 33°C today, my paint is drying on the brush, the airbrush is clogging...

I'm dying

I'm not even going to try and paint today, I'm just washing off mould release and cleaning up some minis. There's meant to be thunderstorms tomorrow so hopefully that will clear the air a bit.

There is, but it's in 5 parts, give me a few minutes to make the composite image for the whole thing, rather than posting it over 5 posts.

nice painting. Quite a striking scheme.

And here is the combined image, warning, it's not small...

bump for
'does anyone know what the mini in this video is?'

youtube.com/watch?v=hGq2_EMp5vY

Finally got round to starting the praetor from calth, he was originally going to be a blood angel but me being the magpie I am I saw the dank Angels 30k colours and had to try them out, haven't picked up a brush in about 4 months so I'm a tad rusty but I think he's coming along nicely

And the back

Thank you! I'm assembling Blood Angels and I want as many options as possible when it comes time to test paint snap-fit marines.

That's an Infinity Umbra Legate, see image.

you can buy capes and torsos with capes from 3rd party manufacturers.
Attaching some of those to Tau should be easy enough.
Even it you had one with arms swapping the hands should be a minor conversion.

Victoria miniatures has some Ghaunts ghost minis and I'm pretty sure if you check out the other usual suspects like Anvil industries, Maxmini, Pig Iron and the like you'll probably find some other alternatives too.

If you google around for conversions in historicals you also might find a good tutorial. Bolt Action is in 28mm too, so maybe you even find some conversion bits there.

If you want to make a cape that is gonna be covered in flock/spices anyway you could also just use some tissue paper soaked in PVA. Won't hold up to regular gaming as well as putty though.
Another alternative might be aluminium foil. Pretty popular way to convert banners, flags and the like, but I've seen it used to convert IG with trenchcoats too, so a cape should be possible too.

Happy to assist, the pre-shading might be a bit tricky on those really small surfaces. But a little simpler probably works fine.

Thank you. What do you mean foil though, like just flock some foil? Won't that get super scrunchy when you handle it?

Maybe I need better gauze? Finer grade, perhaps taped and thicker so it holds up when wet? I found this tutorial by a guy and this is his result. I wouldn't flock the head or anything of the sort but it looks solid for a cape.

Another look at the tape pre-flock

excellent, thanks user, I was currently looking in the wrong faction (yu jing!)

Rather annoyingly, my Agrax earthshade has gone AWOL, so can't finish the helmets. (Is army painter soft/dark/strong tone the same? I have that.) Otherwise, irksome.

Soon be finished though, then my second squad in 2 years will be done (lol)

Most of the fancy asian style swords are in Yu Jing, so I can't blame you for starting there.

Army Painter Strong Tone is basically a nearly exact copy of Devlan Mud, so it's similar Agrax Earth Shade, but better almost.

i mixed in a touch of seraphim sepia and it seems close enough. thanks!

I can't help with your paint question but those look awesome. I especially like the effect on the power and force swords. Are these Blood Angels?

>Thank you. What do you mean foil though, like just flock some foil? Won't that get super scrunchy when you handle it?
Sorry for not clarifying. I don't mean the cooking variety of aluminium foil.
You can get thicker stuff in arts and crafts stores or just cannibalize an empty toothpaste/paint/mustard tube.
Something thick enough to hold it's shape.

>Maybe I need better gauze? Finer grade, perhaps taped and thicker so it holds up when wet?
Hard to tell what is going on with your minis without any pics but if you want it to stay in shape somehow I'd recommend leaving the mini at an angle while they dry or maybe use some pens or plasticine to give it some support while it dries.

Exorcists I'm afraid, thanks though :)

Oh shit, I didn't even think of that. That's a good idea! I'll see if I can find some.

I haven't tried the method on my miniatures yet as I was just experimenting to see how doable it is. My attempts are in the sun drying right now, should be ready soon since it's quite hot. I'll post pics after.

Is it too radical a notion that I actually sew little camo cloaks for them out of fabric and then perhaps do the flocking? they certainly will be durable then and I've a lot more confidence with handsewing than sculpting putty.

>Is it too radical a notion that I actually sew little camo cloaks for them out of fabric and then perhaps do the flocking? they certainly will be durable then and I've a lot more confidence with handsewing than sculpting putty.
You could do that.
But once you cut a piece of cloth and drenched it in pva you don't really have to worry about frayed edges of the material anymore, so it would be total overkill imo.

If you got some other fabric kicking around, that you think will look better, you can totally use that too though.

Well I would sew the edges so it wouldn't be frayed. Really tiny stuff, but I figured I'd flock the cloth cape and gave it a bit of a brown wash to not make it look so solid and "fresh", while also looking like its meant for concealment within brush. I could just give them basic cloth capes.

I got plenty of fabric lying around since I sew, including felt but that would be too thick for this purpose. I have a drawer full of scraps from old clothes to sew up random shit. Handsewing is really therapeutic, I find~

I'll try that next and update with pictures.

Finally finished the terrain for my first Malifaux crew.

Mostly pink foam + Spackle, then paint. I still need to give the plants a wash- they're too bright right now.

These were my first major terrain pieces. Went for a jungle/Pride Rock kinda vibe. Any pointers from more seasoned terrain builders on how I could improve?

>1 of 2

And here's the rest- scatter terrain and the like to fill up the rest of the board.

Currently working on Greenstuffing some 'counts as' Effigies for my puppet crew. Don't have any pics yet, but shooting for a 'What I saw/What they were/What they came out as" final product.

Also got some additional models in for the Metallic Demon/Nothing Beast crew- gonna get those painted up next week hopefully then start on the terrain for their board.

It's near impossible to find decent jungle plants where I live :( even our version of the dollar store doesn't sell aquarium plants

I hope none of you remember me posting these a while ago, I've made zero progress on them. Going to be count as for something. Planned on giving the 54mm models wings for a Kings of War army.

Unexpected day off meant I could put some work into these guys. Got a replacement for the imperial marine undercoated and a legless heavy weapon marine to truly finish off the squad at ten dudes, but I think I'll paint something that isn't space marines for a little while.

>cat hair
god damn it

Should finish this guy today at this rate.

90% came from The Pet Store and Michael's floral department. The tall "trees" were individual stems from some crappy dollar plant I cut to pieces (while salvaging the petals too).
The rest were 2 dollar sheets of aquarium plants glued together.

You made the retro scheme work very well.

>that gradient on that diamond shaped pattern
nnnggghh

would you like a tutorial?

How many ways are there to say "fuck yes"?

Repostan from last thread.

Waaagh and all that!

That, my friend, is fifty shades of awesome.
Great conversion and great paintjob -- promote that Mek!

Lifta-droppa is awesome, nice work user.

Don't suppose anyone got the new how2 paint deathwatch PDF?

Here you are
Really the hardest part is painting the lines, though i guess it is a bit time consuming as well. Probably takes me about an hour for each model overall

Wouldn't be better to do first the gradient and then the diamonds?

That shit's crisp af. I love the red especially.

then how would you get it on top of the squares>

Is there an official guide for Dreadnought heraldry? Something that shows where the chapter symbol and company number go?

You have been visited by the cozy Fire Warrior of camo blankets. Army-wide BS5 and Ignores Cover will come to you, but only if you reply with "Stay warm, Shas'la!"

So, quick painless stitching of a camo cape. Definitely could've done it better, it's fairly sloppy for what I usually do. I can alternatively do it without stitching at all by just supergluing the folds, which may end up looking better, along with cleaner contours (I didn't really cut to shape much at all).

I think there's merit to this method and I might not flock it at all because it'll turn too stiff. That said, maybe that's better since as cloth it will flap about too much unless I superglue it at various joints. It's hard to get it to flow over things. If i had softer and thinner fabric, I might have an easier time.

Here's a shitty shot of my WIP Khorne Hellcannon.

Relevant to my internments

Sorry for the size, comes direct from my phone and forgot to resize it.

it is shity because khorne is a shitty chaos god.

>browsing the infinity models and falling in love.
>Dont even play it.
>going to be bankrupt anyway.

SEND HELP

Hmm, looks good. Certainly never seen anything to this effect done on a miniature. Some rigidity via glue/flock might be a good thing for the "flow"? Then you can shape it so it looks like an actual cloak, rather than rather obviously a tiny square of cloth?

Stay warm, Shas'la!

Yes, that's the idea I hope. I didn't really cut it to shape nor cut any proper contours. I just grabbed one of my scraps, chopped off a small bit and sewed the edges hastily to see if it'd even look good. I think I'm on to something here.

I'll attempt a better one tomorrow I think. Try to superglue the edge this time too so I can avoid the visible stitching (though if I decide to flock, I could cover the stitching with that in the end). I'll look for thinner cloth. I think dark tan and forest green cloth would work equally well, as I'll splatter some paint and a brown wash over it regardless.

>Is there an official guide for Dreadnought heraldry? Something that shows where the chapter symbol and company number go?

Yes.

A lot of factions can be found online for scraps

Blood Angels are a little different.

Dark Angels are, too.

Thanks man. Looks like they changed BA a bit.

>Thanks man. Looks like they changed BA a bit.

Yeah, that kind of things always happens with GW.

I say this with complete respect, I love your cartoony style. You have a great eye for color.

This is a general for works in progress?

Cool. I'm currently working on some music right now. It's too bad the whole Chapter Master 2.0 died out. I had a lot of positive feedback doing the music for it. I guess it was meant to die.

I kind of like this pre flock better. Would have to hand paint the camo on then.

it gave me an idea for something, thanks

No problem, happy it helped someone. I think its a great and cool look, criminally underused. Part of the hobby is out of the box thinking and creativity.

I found a really nice light brownish/tan fabric that's much softer and thinner than the green. A quick draping of a piece around a Fire Warrior made it flow a lot better. I can't wait to continue this tomorrow, it would look so cool having actual capes on my pathfinders.

I love it, user! Reminds me of some old action figures I had.

Is this a homebrew craft world? Or just colors you like?

It's mostly for painting, but everyone needs something to listen to while splashing paint on tiny grey men. I'd take a listen if you had an upload somewhere.

if you've made 0 progress why bother posting? Quit stalling, don't just say you're going to do it, just do it.

What's a good way to model moss? I want to make some Necrons that have risen from a swamp world.

green sawdust flock with heavy washes in browns and greens with a ardcoat layer,maybe

I use citadel paints right now, but I was missing brown to paint some leather stuff on my captain. He has those roman leather things dangling in between his legs.

I decided to get some aclyric paint. I will thin it down A LOT and probably end up applying like 4 or 5 layers of ultra-thin paint over it. Will aclyric paint end up looking shiny?

I'm shooting for primarily black with red/blue highlights scheme but I'm running into problems with making it all blend well together.

I was thinking maybe try and base the blue and red off of Night Lords but how do I make black look interesting? It'd probably be "black robes", "blue or red highlights", and "metallic bits in the shade of either blue or red depending on what color the highlights are".

>how do I into "not matte black" and colored metallics?

>I use citadel paints right now
>I decided to get some aclyric paint. I will thin it down A LOT and probably end up applying like 4 or 5 layers of ultra-thin paint over it. Will aclyric paint end up looking shiny?

Not sure I follow you, user. Citadel paints (and P3 and Vallejo) *are* acrylic paints. Did you buy an off-brand, or are did you buy enamel paints?

Not done yet, but it's my first model.

I didn't know citadel was acrylic. I thought they were a special type of paint specifically designed not to be too shiny.

But yeah, I use citadel aclyric paints that came with the start painting kit for space marines. I also got a captain who has some leather stuff on his armour. The kit didn't have any brown, so I'm going with some random brand.

What I'm worried about is if the brown will look too thick or diffirent than the rest of the mini.

Looks cool. I'm also working on my first ever model.

That squirrel looks so happy

Did anyone save the pic of the some user's SM scouts from the landspeeder storm with Scion heads?

I remember the guy chilling on an ammo box loading his bolter

nice. heres the first one i did, about a year ago

So do I wash this guy in nuln oil everywhere or use a different wash on the skin

fleshshade for the skin, agrax earthshade for the metals and nuln for the rest

Last time I used nuln oil on my last marine it turned them from Khorne red to this slightly dark purpleish colour
Is that normal? Or did I use too much?

what is that axe arm from?

bloodreavers from AoS

First time sculpting ever, how did I do?

Made Arthas out of Vlad the Dark champion from warmachine. I'm not happy with it, but I tend to be over critical

That's really good for a first time sculpting

Green bases for a 10//10

Interior side for my predator executioner.
The other side is probably going to be sponson munitions

Any pointers?

do basic shapes first, let them dry, then do finer details overtop. for example, do the main shape of a shoulder pauldron first, then any details after you've got the shape done and dried

So what would you recommend I wash a desert ochre color with? More yellow than ochre, but not a bright color.

I made a terrible mistake involving a basecoated model and some watered-down Nuln Oil.

If I had to guess, you took it straight from the bottle. While that works on some colors, you might need to water it down a bit for colors like red. Just be careful not to let it pool too much.

I thought it hardened to a point where it's not malleable

It darkens the color, of course. You have to bring it back up with the same color or a lighter color for highlight, obviously not covering everything up again, leaving the shade where you want it to be darker.

All done!