/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Miracle on the Vistula Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit
List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R
ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes
/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/8tatre3vd10yv/Avalon_Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mediafire.com/download/xjbn3jmc7j3vh5k/S&T 156 - Russo-Polish War.pdf
mediafire.com/download/lb6xy1ly06r7wm0/Osprey - MAA 497 - Armies of the Russo-Polish War 1919-21.pdf
generalpettygree.blogspot.co.nz/2016/07/54mm-battle-of-tokar.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_de_Gaulle#Between_the_wars
war-bases.co.uk/ACCESSORIES/Carts-Wagon?product_id=1256
mediafire.com/download/7hbulrbhoq12nfi/S&T 024 - Battle of Moscow.pdf),
youtube.com/watch?v=11Bc1yZ6qsY&index=4&list=ELlzBS5WrPu4s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder supplements
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Hail Caesar! Late Antiquity to Early Medieval Army List
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Germany Strikes!
Bolt Action: Empire in Flames

August 25th in military history:

357 – Battle of Strasbourg: Julian, Caesar and supreme commander of the Roman army in Gaul, wins an important victory against the Alemanni.
1537 – The Honourable Artillery Company, the oldest surviving regiment in the British Army, and the second most senior, is formed.
1543 – The first Europeans and firearms arrive in Japan.
1580 – Battle of Alcântara. Spain defeats Portugal.
1630 – Portuguese forces are defeated by the Kingdom of Kandy at the Battle of Randeniwela in Sri Lanka.
1758 – Seven Years' War: Frederick II of Prussia defeats the Russian army at the Battle of Zorndorf.
1830 – The Belgian Revolution begins.
1914 – World War I: The library of the Catholic University of Leuven is deliberately destroyed by the German Army.
1920 – Polish–Soviet War: Battle of Warsaw, which began on August 13, ends with the Red Army's defeat.
1921 – The first skirmishes of the Battle of Blair Mountain occur.
1939 – The United Kingdom and Poland form a military alliance in which the UK promises to defend Poland in case of invasion by a foreign power.
1942 – World War II: Battle of Milne Bay, Papua New Guinea.
1942 – World War II: second day of the Battle of the Eastern Solomons. A Japanese naval transport convoy headed towards Guadalcanal is turned-back by an Allied air attack, losing one destroyer and one transport sunk, and one light cruiser heavily damaged.
1944 – World War II: Paris is liberated by the Allies.
1991 – The Battle of Vukovar begins. An 87-day siege of a Croatian city by the Yugoslav People's Army (JNA), supported by various Serbian paramilitary forces, between August–November, during the Croatian War of Independence.

Today marks 96 years since the end of the Battle of Warsaw, the decisive Polish victory at the apogee of the Polish–Soviet War. Poland, on the verge of total defeat, repulsed and defeated the invading Red Army. It was, and still is, celebrated as a great victory for the Polish people over Russia and communism. The battle was fought from August 12–25, as Red Army forces commanded by Mikhail Tukhachevsky approached the Polish capital of Warsaw and the nearby Modlin Fortress.

After the fall of Radzymin on August 14th, only a mere 15 miles separated the Russians from the greatest prize of the campaign. General Haller reported to Marshal Josef Pilsudski that unless the military situation was drastically reversed, the entire Polish front would soon collapse and his forces pushed back into Warsaw itself. Within the capital, women, children and the very old were pressed into worker battalions constructing makeshift barricades in an effort to defend the city against the inevitable assault.

Pilsudski recognized that the bulk of the Russian forces comprising the Northern and Southern army groups were separated from one another during their advance by the immense Pripet Marshes. Tukhachevski had left only 8,000 men of the Mozyrska Group in the center to establish a continuous link between the two. Pilsudski decided to gamble the entire campaign on one last offensive, devising a plan to breakthrough the Russian center then swing north behind Tukhachevski's Armies and roll up the entire Soviet Northern Front.

He set about massing the sufficient number of troops needed for the offensive by stripping every combat unit along the entire Polish Southern Front of its most veteran battle hardened troops and the necessary resources which could be spared leaving the Polish armies dangerously weak. After an incredible feat of logistics he managed to raise an assault group of 20,000 men which would be supported by the 4th and 3rd Armies under Generals Skierski and Smigly.

On the 15th Tukhachevski ordered Budyonny's 1st Cavalry Army to begin their southern advance on Warsaw. Budyonny however blatantly disobeyed this order due to his petty jealousy of Tukhachevski's success during the campaign and a personal grudge between himself and the Russian South West commander in chief General Yegorov. Instead Budyonny choose to attack and lay siege to Lwow. Although the move was militarily sound, this critical error would also neutralize the Russian 14th Army and would exclude both from taking part in the upcoming battle.

In the early morning hours of the 16th Polish forces crossed the Wieprz River and began the offensive which would decide Poland's fate. The Poles quickly overran the weak positions held by the Mosyrska Group and for the next two days steadily advanced North East without encountering any Russian opposition. The Russians, completely unaware that large Polish forces were operating in their rear areas, blindly continued with their offensive operations bringing them to within eight miles of the Polish capital.

The Poles now began to sever the Russian lines of communication with their forward armies. On the evening of the 18th, reserve units of the Soviet 16th Army under Sollohub encountered advance elements of the Polish 4th Army. Sollohub quickly informed Tukhachevski of the large Polish counter attack against his left flank. Completely unaware that the Poles had effected a major breakthrough, Tukhachevski believed the attack to be no stronger than a single division and ordered a limited withdrawal to straighten his front line.

Pilsudski now ordered a forced march northward towards the city of Bialystok to cut off any Soviet retreat. Confusing reports of enemy activity in their rear areas now began to reach Generals Lazairevich and Solluhub who in response sent two divisions to investigate, in two separate battles however both divisions were caught out in the open and annihilated by superior Polish forces.

Tukhachevski now realized this was no diversionary attack and saw that he was in danger of being surrounded. He ordered all commanders to cease offensive operations against Warsaw and withdraw eastward to escape the Polish trap. But the order had been issued too late; after an epic march lasting six days Polish troops had fought their way to Bialystok effectively completing the encirclement of the entire Army Group.

The Soviet command structure within the Russian pocket began to breakdown and they quickly lost cohesion with one another. Entire divisions simply disintegrated as their troops marched off into the Polish interior in search of an escape route.

Only the Soviet 15th Army stood firm and attempted to shield the withdrawal of the most westerly extended Russian 4th Army. But twice defeated in the field on August 19th and 20th, it too joined the general rout along with that of the 4th Army, reaching the East Prussian border where they surrendered to German troops. As the Soviet 3rd Army retreated east it managed to fight its way through the Polish lines and broke free of the encirclement suffering the least amount of casualties. After fighting its way to the city of Bialystok the weak and exhausted remnants of the Russian 16th Army had nothing left to give and surrendered.

Red Army losses were about 15,000 dead, 10,000 wounded, and 65,000 captured, compared to Polish losses of approximately 4,500 killed, 22,000 wounded, and 10,000 missing. Poland also captured about 231 pieces of artillery and 1,023 machine guns.

The Battle of Warsaw would make for a perfect wargame campaign played at a variety of levels. A strategic-based game could see players test themselves against the historical outcome, while lower levels provides some intense late-WW1 action.

mediafire.com/download/xjbn3jmc7j3vh5k/S&T 156 - Russo-Polish War.pdf
mediafire.com/download/lb6xy1ly06r7wm0/Osprey - MAA 497 - Armies of the Russo-Polish War 1919-21.pdf

This month's /hwg/ challenge is a command group of any type. Some inspiration here: a Russian general (Poltava, 1709) preening in front of a mirror with attendants and bodyguard.

So is Konflikt47 allowed in these threads?

Probably. /awg/ might be a better place for it though.

>Miracle on the Vistula Edition

what's wrong with 1/72 scale that /hwg/ hates it?

Nothing is wrong with it and /hwg/ isn't hating it.

All scales are as valid. No scale is objectivly better than another one.

Except for 6mm, the god scale

6mm and 28mm, friend. 6mm and 28mm. And 3mm. And a naval scale - 1:1200 or 1:3000. And, well, certain periods of massed armies look best in 10mm or 15mm, and there is something to be said for the toy soldier style in 40mm or 54mm - generalpettygree.blogspot.co.nz/2016/07/54mm-battle-of-tokar.html for instance. 54mm from AIP is pretty cheap too, and let's not forget about the glories of 20mm in plastic and metal. Rapid Fire is built for it, and I've had some wonderful club games with that.
fuck

Any tips for painting batches of irregular/militia troops?

Uniformed troops are easy enough where you go through and paint everyone's boots black, webbing brown et cetera but what's the best procedure for painting a dozen or so irregulars at a time?

>ny tips for painting batches of irregular/militia troops?

Where and when, user? For modern stuff you'd probably be best off consulting photos of them, and making your little dudes the same.

Paint them in groups. Say you've got 40 dudes - split them into a few groups, paint each group's shirts a different colour. Then put them back and split them into different groups, and paint their trousers a different shade. Different groups, paint their belts and accessories, different groups, boots, hair, skin tones, etc.

You end up with a bit of a mish-mash but there's still some coherence.

well you use a few different colours and still batch it. like say a quarter of the unit have beige webbing, another quarter brown etc.

So that there is variation but it still looks cohesive and isn't much more strenuous to paint.

I like it. cheap scale with a large variety in the WW2 period. Also napoleonics are decently represented. Even some modern stuff around.

Main problem is its a bit big for modern battles, even a bit big for WW2 on a 6' X 4' table, but fuck it, I like the size of the tanks and they feel good when you move them around. any small just feels hokey

28mm isn't a scale, at least everything else can claim to be, like 6mm and its 1:285 or 1:300 scales.

:^)

Seriously though I don't give a fuck

Batch paint colours but rotate through different locations; red shirt for one guy, red shoes another, red hair for some other person and so on.

Same goes for lot of pre-modern troops, except you might want some kind of uniform colour turning up in jackets or hats to at least group peoples together.

we like it theres just a shitposter around who harassed our resident 1/72 fan until he went full nuclear so its a weird issue atm

>so its a weird issue atm
No, it's one obnoxious troll taking a swing at anything he can; hardly representative of the thread at all

I mean its weird because 1/72 engaged and went full nuclear. Shitposter-kun is shitposter-kun

stop shittalking other scales please

You have a strange idea of what shittalking means.

>48969844
Youre an asshole.

How's life, shitposter-kun?

This painting is so cheesy

Shitpost-kun please

It's "you're" m8.

This is just nonsense now

Its "feldgrau" you graummer nazi

Can back up

But anyway, shall we get back on track?

real mirror or paintjob?

Simple edit m8, you're fooling nobody.

Looks real to me.

I read too much into hokey my bad.

Also wtf this thread...

Pretty sure these are the only shitposter-kun posts here, but Jesus whenever he does he triggers us all. I-is /hwg/ dying?

> I-is /hwg/ dying?

Nah, people just need to learn to not reply to dumb shit.

Isn't everyone here like 30 or something?

>there is something to be said for the toy soldier style in 40mm or 54mm

At Salute this year, there were a couple of 54mm-scale games. One was a VBCW encounter dubbed "Battle of Hook's Farm", in a nod to Wells' Floor Wars. It was fought using old-school Britain's lead 'toy soldiers', and an assemblage of terrain pieces from the past fifty years or so. It looked really cool.

>I-is /hwg/ dying?

I have no intention of stopping them, so no worries there.

Not taking the b8 is something people of all ages must learn, user.

>Polish–Soviet War
Wasn't that the war for which Charles de Gaulle volunteered, saw tanks in action, wrote pretty much the handbook on Blitzkrieg, was told by his French superiors it was shit and ended up inspiring Nazi Germany's military doctrine by accident?

I'd call it funny, but millions died as a result.

Indeed I did, in the future I'll hold back.

just make a pdf

What system is this for?

Command unit is developing slowly, decided to go with some more bright colours and not just plain metal. Wonky as fuck at the moment but getting there.

Something I've learned as I've gotten older is that wisdom and age really don't come as a shared package. Some people never get past 13, even though they end up with a family to look after.
I know I was a complete dickhead until about 19-20, then had to rapidly grow the fuck up /blog.

love you shipanon

Hail Caesar

Reminder that all scales are beautiful in their own way

Had to dig out the panther I've had for years. It's the only 15mm thing I have and I don't know why I do but it still counts, right?

> 'All scales are beautiful'
> Openly admits to having neglected 15mm

You filthy hypocrite, user.

>After succesfully having invaded Russia and subjugated Britain, Napoleon's legions and their new panzer divisions march into the heart of Africa to fight guerilla-giants
I'd play that

Sounds like a much better premise for a Weird War game than I've heard in a while. Nicely asymmetrical factions too.

>Captcha will not stop asking for storefronts

You know, I think we've been helping train the Skynet of petty thieves all this time.

>no 54mm
discrimination

H...Hey... You can't always group scales neatly into a Millimeter based spectrum, because that description doesn't adequately describe them!

Definitely something good to be found in every scale

I was writing up a shitpost ruleset to cover the 1:72 vs shitposter-kun conflict and accidentally ended up working on a generic, rules-lite, all-eras skirmish game centered around train robberies/caravan hijacking/fighting around a key road

Post it when it's done, for the love of God. be a great start for a post-apoc caravan attack too, probably.

Gotta sort out some campaign rules but then ill get a working.

Based on the massive amount of lolcow drama it's causing on the Bolt Action FB pages I'd say it's probabley better in /awg/ as it's not really a big enough game to have it's own threads and expect to get anything out of it.

And as much as I like K47 it's a historically flavoured sci-fi game, not a straight up historical so it doesn't belong here.

If you've got questions about actual historical stuff to take and apply to Konflikt47 like modelling questions and the like, I'm sure someone would be happy to answer though. General discussion should go to /awg/.

Why is it causing drama?

Yeah that's reasonable, people have asked stuff like that before when making historically themed forces for other games like King of War.

>48971304
I'm 23 mates, plenty of time to hoard other scales yet.

>Africa
Those are native americans

I don't have anything so small, but those are cute a f.

"Hurr, why can't I post my Konflict '47 when it's in the group rules that I can't post it here and there are separate groups for it, durr."

People have started posting K47 in some of the BA groups and the grognards have gotten upset.

Now to be fair I don't think K47 should be posted in BA groups as it is a separate game but unfortunately the grognards have been unable to make their point without resorting to being a snarky elitist douchebags.

It's an awful lot of "Stop liking what I don't like" and people making ridiculously hyperbolic statements about how people aren't going to buy things from warlord any more or play their games because they published a weird war game and weird war games are bad because reasons and "muh rivets"

Granted it is being caused by people willfully posting things in the wrong place so basically everyone is in the wrong and making themselves look stupid.

Just another day on the internet.

Questions about rules, models and everything not fluff are ok imo. Better than meme/meta discussions or image bumping. Just keep the sperging about alternate history at a minimum.

>posting images is off topic

k

Can't comment on De Gaulle, but Guderian's book Achtung Panzer was inspired by the British successes with tanks at the end of WW1.
He goes into details of when they used tanks well, and when they wasted the opportunity.

>posting non-historical games in a historical games topic

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_de_Gaulle#Between_the_wars

>700 copies sold in France
>7.000 in Germany
>Including one to Hitler

Between that and the British, the Entente created their own worst enemy. Weird, how this shit goes sometimes.

I actually come here for the images most of the time, but I don't think it's better than a talk about about alt history. That really wasn't my point though. I hate how much we discuss memes, trolls and what to post/what not to post right now, so I'd rather talk about an alt HISTORY game. I mean it's based on a 'historical' ruleset and at least 50% actual history, so why not?

Just post it m8. Half of ancient wargaming is theoretical anyways.

I would say there is a difference between Alt-History and Weird War.

Weird War is basically science fiction. Proper alt-history would be more like

> What if Carthage won the Punic Wars?
> What if Napoleon didn't invade Russia?
> What if Operation Sea Lion actually happened?

i.e. plausible scenarios.

>i.e. plausible scenarios.

Brainless rotting hordes of former humans spreading their influence across the planet who can only be stopped by killing as many of them as possible IS totally plausible, though. Exhibit A: Americans.

I was just thinking this.

Mainly because I was waiting for someone to say something daft like "Well, if A Very British Civil War is allowed then K47 should be too!"

It's about where you draw the line, if K47 should be allowed then logically so should Dust, Secrets of the Third Reich, In Her Majesty's Name, All Quiet on the Martian Front, and so on.

Before you know it you've diluted the whole purpose of the general.

I do agree though if people want information on the historical aspects of those games for painting or terrain, or whatever then that's fine.

bm

The difference between aVBCW and K47 is the fantasy/sci-fi elements, while AVBCW is goofy as fuck, it's still something that is theoretically possible with our laws of nature while K47 is not.

I don't really care about it K47, I don't mind it in the thread but it's deffinitly more fantasy than history.

> Turnip Cart

It's been too long since we've had one of these in a thread.

Now I wanna modify a turnip cart to an improvised platform, a general uses to view the battle, it'd be a great command base.

Where can I buy a turnip cart!

Perry miniatures sell a variety of medieval carts.

They're also really easy to build yourself. Even the wheels if you're going with a simple solid design rather than one with spokes.

war-bases.co.uk/ACCESSORIES/Carts-Wagon?product_id=1256

For what its worth, I dont hate K47 or GoA. I hate how Pike And Shotte, Hail Caesar, and Black Powder have alll been abandonded in favor of stuff like Project Z. I hate that the only new stuff for any of these games is a Starter Set (Waterloo)
I'm fine if they want to do fantasy sci-fi etc i just with they wouldn't completely ignore the historical stuff.
Bolt Action isn't my cup of tea so I'm not gonna buy into either of the new systems but if it gets people into the hobby thats cool.

In the interests of posting more command squads. Here is my Soviet command and their attached commissars.

Hi guys. I printed SPI's "The Battle of Moscow" from the Strategy & Tactics magazine, number 24 (mediafire.com/download/7hbulrbhoq12nfi/S&T 024 - Battle of Moscow.pdf), and the last couple of hours I've been preparing the map, pasting the counters in cardboard and cutting them.

But right now I just found out that the pdf lacks the playsheet with the combat resolution table, and the german reinforcements sheet. I managed to find the playsheet in BoardGameGeek, but I've got no luck with the germans reinforcements sheet.

Could any user help me? Right now I feel like a retard.

late night emergency BMP!

God, Project Z is a sack of shit though. The starter is good value for the minis but the game is such poorly held together bollocks it's embarrassing.

That seems to be the case with a lot of zombie games, but then, many are simply quick band-wagon riding games. And being how wargames stuff is generally dictated by middle-aged men who take a while to adapt, well, the bandwagon for zombies is still going apparently after a late start. So we can probably look forward to a few more years of shitty zombie games and miniatures getting churned out on the tail-end of the trend.

I think you'll find we're all 20 somethings

Hot diggety

I don't get it.

You just don't know about fights and stuff.

Are you even a man. Do you want to do a fight?

There are good zombie games and good zombie figures, and Project Z is neither of those. Its the lousy wargames factory figures with a price hike and an afterthought rule set. I dont know if it will be good but Mantic at least looked like they made the game on purpose instead of trying to find a use for figure bought as part of a deal.

To be a little more on topic though, How do people like Pike and Shotte? Our group is super interested in ECW and Being the rules whore I am i picked it up, Im also looking into buying to defy a king but from what ive read i need more figures for it (per unit)

You've lost me completely, and I'm not even new to these threads. Was this the result of some recent retarded argument, as usually creates such things?

I'll end your suffering

Pike & Shotte is a fairly generic game, though far less so than Bolt Action. There's some good flavour to the system, but the book is full of clunky, conversational wording in the rules, with the miniatures porn and creator's collection of relevant artefacts box-outs getting in the way of the system conveying how to actually play it, it's ok when reading through but trying to reference it in game is far harder than it should be. Otherwise the game is basically the same as black powder except there's pikes, a 'hedgehog' mechanic for retreating shot units into pike formations, and artillery is notably worse. Lots of familiar old mechanics like the command system of getting sub-commanders and the overall one to assign up to 3 move orders to a unit and rolling for how much of the order it can manage, an IGOUGO turn system, no individual casualty removal but disordering of units. Figure requirements suggested by the book definitely lean on the large side, well, for 28mm things fill up the table fast. So for the love of all that you care about play in something smaller than 28mm. Play speeds up a lot once you get the hang of it, but the book itself is a hindrance to that.

But my overall opinion can be summed up as "it's ok". Probably can just as good as using the free Victory Without Quarter. Or Baroque as an user mentioned in the last thread, that had stronger recommendation than I'd be willing to give P&S.

Warlord games are just historical rulesets that work, are acceptable and quick to pick up for some fun gaming afternoons

Damn...serious old school hex and counter gaming. Well done user

there is no reinforcement sheet for the Germans.

the Germans start with all their units on the board set up as he wishes WEST of the front line (See Setting up the Game page 36xs.)

German reinforcements are handled under the rules on page 39xs. Reinforcements are pulled from destroyed units at the rate of 3 infantry combat factors per turn and 1 combat factors worth of mech or armored per turn.

hope this helps

and something to get you in the mood for the drive on Moscow...a documentary done in Russia a few years back..entire series is pretty damn good....even if their numbers are a bit off on things.....

youtube.com/watch?v=11Bc1yZ6qsY&index=4&list=ELlzBS5WrPu4s

Wow you certainly picked one of the older ones there user; any particular reason you choose this title?

Hot Fuzz-style skirmish down the model village, or full-scale battle with remote-control model tanks there instead?