4D creatures

How would you even fight a 4 dimensional creature? It's be the equivalent of you fighting people inside a sheet of paper; you could stab them at well and they could only hurt a small cross-section of your hand.

Like-wise, a true 4D creature, assuming it could find your "plane" of existence, would be able to fuck your shit with impunity. You would need actual supernatural insight to be able to dodge or hurt these creatures.

I had these appear in a Savage Worlds game, the characters could only hurt them by going on hold to when one appeared to eviscerate a villager and shooting it. But even that feels too kind in some ways; at worst it would be like a papercut.

Am I wrong in saying these 4D creatures would basically be unbeatable? Thinking of adding them into my setting as elder things one dare not summon.

Other urls found in this thread:

atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/v3ch1-cover
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That a valid way to run them, just don't actually put them any where your players have to deal with them and keep them as a lore only thing because it would be a rather no-fun instant-lose scenario.

Attack the DM. This dimension is just as valid as the story one, but in this one you can actually hurt something.

The same way as the 2D can beat a 3D creature: Just cut them in half. If a 2D creature runs sideways into a 3D it can just cut a part off with ease since 2D is perfectly thin, so there will be no resistance or whatsover. Same way shall 3D work with 4D.

The 4D creature would also have trouble perceiving and interacting with the 3D realm. The analogy is of a human interacting with beings on a piece of paper, but obviously dimensions aren't physical things you can see like a sheet of paper is.

If it has bulky parts to it then those could be attacked and damaged while the exist in 3D, the creature would just then be able to get them out of harm's way along a fourth dimension. In fact, that could even be used to the 3D's advantage, by stabbing something into the creature which would damage it as it draws more of its 4D self through the same 3D space, like a pin cutting you as you pull your arm past it.

But there's an extra dimension involved there. You'd have to effectively fill a 3D space for a real "slash"

A sword slash in 2d would be a 1d line instead of a 2d slash path.

We can't comprehend 4D so I have to go with mathematical analogy.

But yeah you might be able to slash off a limb.

But then the creature could just enter the third dimension inside of you and blow you up chest-burster style.

They have infinitely more insight than you would. I mean, they are also completely ridiculous but I find the idea compelling for some reason. Just imagining a roiling mass of black inky substance appearing then disappearing in random sequence, as though something larger is tangentially intersecting reality.

True on the no-fun part, though I don't mind the idea of "you must stop the ritual" as a win condition, and if they fail that win condition, they enter a combat they cannot win as the losing consequence.

Kinda like trying and failing to stop Cthulu. If they bring out Cthulu, you're fucked. But it was fair because you had an opportunity to stop them.

Read this arc of Atomic Robo, called The Shadow From Beyond Time

atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/v3ch1-cover

Its probably the best example I can give you of fighting a 4d enemy.

That's not how any of this works

>How would you even fight a 4 dimensional creature?
By applying a sufficient amount of kinetic energy.

Imagine it in flatland terms. When a sphere intersects with flatland all the flatlanders will see a circle, of the part of the sphere intersecting their plane. This circle behaves like normal matter to the flatlanders, and it's only when the sphere moves in the z dimension, above or below the plane, does the shape of the intersection (the size of the circle) change.
SO a 4D creature would appear as normal objects made of whatever it's made of, but when the creature begins moving they would change shape, teleport around, connect, disconnect, etc. It's perfectly possible to fight one as long as it's not overly intelligent, or has lots of experience fighting 3D beings.

A 2D person's blade would have absolute sharpness ("thin" doesn't begin to describe the edge) against a 3D person. But the 3D person has maneuverability that the 2D person cannot comprehend - it moves in directions that only the 2D pure mathematicians and fringe physicists could guess at.

If the 4D fighter stays out of reach of the 3D it cannot be beaten.

>The analogy is of a human interacting with beings on a piece of paper, but obviously dimensions aren't physical things you can see like a sheet of paper is.

Also that is a good point, I hadn't really thought of that. I just latched onto the flatland analogy and stuck with it.

>They have infinitely more insight than you would.

How so? To them 3D space is likely to be invisible. Just as we couldn't see the 2D equivalent of photons moving through an infinitely thin 2D world, they wouldn't be able to look into 3D space. At best, if they are specifically adapted to the 3D environment they could perceive us with organs which were in 3D space at the time.

>But then the creature could just enter the third dimension inside of you and blow you up chest-burster style.

That assumes that the 4D being can push into occupied space with minimal effort. That seems unlikely. I think you are picturing a 3D person fucking up a 2D enemy who exists on a sheet of paper or something. But paper is a 3D object, which is what lets us see it and interact with it. A 2D universe can't be ripped apart by a 3D person pushing on it, because it doesn't have a third dimension to be pushed into.

Even if beings with different dimensions could interact at all, it seems far more likely that the higher dimensional being would be damaged by the process than the other way around. They have to work against the very fabric of an universe to do anything.

Of course, if they are 4D and also have god-like capabilities (which seems likely for something able to interact with fundamentally different planes of existence) they can fuck you up, but that's more of a consequence of them being god-like than being 4D.

Incidentally, I think this is how Yog-Sothoth from the cthulhu mythos is meant to work.

It can be beaten, just not conclusively.

You could make it to where they can't physically hurt people but seeing them in 4d would san-blast them

You dont.

Imagine a line on the ground that goes to the infinite on both sides.
Now imagine living being that can't leave this line, but can go up and down as much as he wants.

Would you die to this monster? Nope.
This is 2D monster, and we are 3d.
Basically the same idea would happen on 3d vs 4d

With a black hole / gravitation weapons or tech. Assuming you're talking about Sci-fi. If fantasy, magic.

You see, OP, you can't make 4d monster without people start arguing about how 4d works. So don't be retard and just make monster that can shift between planes or physical/ghost forms.

I would shoot the fucker.

Very carefully.

I remind them that they will never be 2D.