/CYOA/ General

Last Thread
Our desperately in need of a rewrite Pastebin:
pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu

>Question of the Thread
Do you like CYOAs, that after some deep thought you can puzzle out the 'best' options for, or not?
What are the CYOAs that you consider 'solved'?

>Solved CYOA -
A CYOA that has a 'best build', clever combo, or a particular must-have-choice that is clearly superior, which stands head and shoulders above other possibilities and that it would be foolish not to choose

Starting with this CYOA because it has been on my mind a lot, and I think I found a build that I would consider optimal.

Also I am 3 threads overdue on discussing a build for this that I promised to praise and/or critique.

By the way, is this a recent CYOA?
I have been away from /cyoag/ for a couple of months, so maybe everyone has already discussed it to death.

Here is the mentioned build
Updated build just a bit.

Vrillivith Phoromandrossa

>Brython
Purple eyes like Dany, magic, part dragon. Yes pls.
>Ophelia
Blessed with Beauty and Grace.
>Persuasion
>Intimidate
Persuade them. If can't persuade, intimidate. If can't intimidate, kill.

>Fighter
>Invoker
>Druid of the Wild
Fight'n and magic'n.

>Blocking Mastery
>Reflexes
>Melee Mastery
>Ranged Mastery
>Static Cloud (trade 2 Druid skills)
>Octarine
>Mastery (Fire)
>Mastery (Water)
>Mastery (Lightning)
>Earth Manipulation
>Air Manipulation
Be hard to hit. And fight things with magic, swords, bows, whatever.

>Wolfheart Choker
People better be afraid of my wrath, or else I'll give them reason to be.....

>Rooting Out Corruption
Got good skills for this.
>Lunester Academy
That's where I went to school! Everyone should know me!
>The Issfor Civil War
Me and my party can handle this.
>Clash of Clans
Green spaces in the cities.
>The Bastard Queen
Kill her. Whatever.
>Moth Dealers
I hate drugs! Time for real intimidation!
>The Priests of Runa
Try and be nice. If doesn't work, intimdation and violence on peaceful priests.
>The College of Styr
I like College! We have to protect it!
>Dragon's Helm
Dungeon crawl adventure!
>The Rogue Necromancer
I have friend who'se better necromancer
>The Two Lovers
I love Much Ado About Nothing!
>Treaty of Love
More love games. I sure somebody out there likes Gorgons.
>Brynjolf the Pirate King
Good fighty quest.
>Snake in the Grass
Tough one, but we'll find a way!

>Shamila Flower-Hair
>Zylkira
>Diosna Arvangati
>The Breakbones Knight
>The Iron Centurion
Companions who know how to kick butt and stay calm and not get hung up on "morals" and "ethics". Tough body guards to get in between me and bad guys while I cast spells.

What cyoa should I make next, guys? I have three ideas that I would like to pursue.
1. The path to power cyoa.
2. A sort of virtue cyoa (not the seven heavenlies, something different.)
3. A sort of dlc/addon/explanation on what is in the Secret Room from pic related.

What do you guys want to see?

>What do you guys want to see?
Either one of the first two, depending on what exactly the "path to power" thing would entail.

>>Mastery (Fire)
>>Mastery (Water)
>>Mastery (Lightning)
>>Earth Manipulation
>>Air Manipulation

I like the Avatar style I can bend and control all the elements angle but...

All the elemental control, plus this
>Static Cloud (trade 2 Druid skills)
>Octarine
and this
>Melee Mastery
>Ranged Mastery
leave you very jack of all trades.
I mean, you aren't really going to be doing most of that at once, just one or maybe two at a time.
So there is a big trade off for all of your versatility.

>depending on what exactly the "path to power" thing would entail.

Basically, it shows several different paths people can take to gain power. Choosing a specific path will grant you slightly increased skills related to that path. As well as the ability to continuously grow in power with no upper limit, so long as it follows your path.

For instance, If you choose the path to physical power, you will have slightly increased strength, speed, endurance, etc, and can further train with no upper limit. You might even find other supernatural powers as you train, such as a healing factor or perhaps even muscle memory.

Yes, each path can grant you the power to stave off death, though each in their own ways.

>1. The path to power cyoa.

Please explain.

See

Requesting the incubus boyfriend CYOA.

In that case, I'm-a stick with my "either one of the first two".

>ability to continuously grow in power with no upper limit

Please drop
>"with no upper limit"
It is much better to just imply it with the statement
>continue to develop in xyz

Mentioning "no upper limit" makes it seem too wish-fulfillmenty

>too wish-fulfillmenty

Isn't that one of the main purposes of cyoas?

>makes it seem too wish-fulfillmenty

Is the problem that it is wish fulfillment, or just that it sounds to much like wish fulfillment?

This sounds great, but can I ask for it to not be in a fantasy setting?
I think that it would come off as much more original in a modern, or near future setting, while fantasy will be very "choose what class you want to be"

>working hard to earn limitless rewards is wish fulfillmenty!

That really speaks volumes about today's society.

>but can I ask for it to not be in a fantasy setting?

It's going to take place on current Earth, but I'll see if I can't make it a sci fi sort of setting. Or at least science fantasy.

The second.
You want to make it seem like the character has to bust his ass to become powerful.
Most people are not fans of Mary Sues.

>It's going to take place on current Earth

That's awesome. No need to mix science fantasy thing, just some options to push the boundaries of what modern science is capable of.

Really looking forward to this CYOA now.

Because working hard to earn great, but still limited, rewards is much more realistic.
There is a reason that One Punch Man is satire and comedy.

>1. The path to power cyoa.

Thanks for remembering and taking the time. I thought that since the spells are described as "one part this element, and two parts that element" that taking the 3 elemental masteries would make my two main spells stronger. But earth and air manipulation don't really help with that, so maybe I should switch those out. Maybe I could trade them both for Stormfluid which would be good attack spell and just not actually have any druid skills.

>Realism

It didn't use to be at the beginning. Most of the scenarios were
>Stuck on a nightmarish Island
>Confined to a small basement
>Oh shit, zombie apocalypse
>Stuck on a real world desert island
But they fell out of favor, and now people have a hard time thinking of CYOAs as anything but wish fulfillment

Just a case of authors pandering to the lowest common denominator since that is what got them the most replies and praise.

SDA detected

>Suspension of Disbelief

Ah, that explains why my cyoa didn't get that many builds.

You can only do a max of ONE 2 for 1 trade.
Also the Mastery description outright states
>it will not enhance the combinations of the three

Thank you for the compliment.
I am the user from a few threads back that wrote:

I am 99.9% convinced that the SDA-shitposter avatarfag isn't the real SDA.

If it is SDA than his tone and character changed a lot.
When he was creative there was a level of engagement with the Anons that made him one of the most liked OC creators, and for a time the patron saint of CYOAs.

The troll-posting avatarfag sees these generals as some kind of insane carnival.
If it is SDA, then he had a mental breakdown, or his give-a-damn broke.

Which would be understandable, I had to step away from these threads not to get too jaded.
And the burden placed on him because of his reputation, on top of all of the Ass-Cancer jokes, was probably too much.

OC would prove that the old SDA as he used to be is still in there somewhere.

I've talked to SDA in the cyoa IRC channel for the pass few months user and when he announced he wants to make a Mary Sue killer cyoa to spite Angelanon and that time he literally turned /cyoag/ into his personal blog when he went into intimate detail about his personal life and girlfriend, I don't know how long you've been away from /cyoag/ but he was never a saint and he always treated /cyoag/ as his toilet.

The Aristocrats!

B, D, and G sound great.

I hate the "hunted" premise behind C, E, and F. But I guess someone might find that interesting.

'A' suffers from the fact that most CYOAs are balanced enough that losing half the points screws you over, while others are so generous that it barely limits you, or they have one be-all-end-all best choice like 'Kaleidoscope' from the original Worm CYOA where everything else doesn't matter.

I am curious, post some CYOAs that YOU think would be greatly improved if they only gave you half of the points that they do.

Not improved, just an added challenge.

Magical Realm cyoa would greatly benefit from giving you only half of the points, the way it is structure now, you can take every single option the cyoa has to offer by loading up on complications that only inconveniences you.

I guess it is easy to overlook a multitude of sins, as long as there is good OC being created.

Me personally, I was pissed that he beat me to the punch and "stole my idea" with Stardust, but then when I was giving him critique, and pitching him my ideas, he accepted and incorporated them into the CYOA.
That made me grateful, since I can never finish my own CYOAs.

Lurl is that you?

7 points makes some of the CYOA vestigial.

Alright, even for a challenge cyoa I admit it's a shit option.

Nope, never namefaged, since I never had a major CYOA that I needed to get feedback on.

Being anonymous is great, your good ideas are not dismissed out of hand because of the horrible ones.

So with "1/2 A" option you could only choose Dualism and would instead get one god with one power?

I was thinking something to do with only half of the points at the bottom, but I like your idea as well.

I guess I just don't like having 3 classes then. I'd rather have a extra spell or two for my main class then have druid or anything else.

So do a build for it.
And I guess you do get 5 points at the bottom too.

Guy who made the army CYOA here, I was bored so I made a short shopkeeper CYOA. I'll read through any builds or feedback if people post them.

Who said you can't pick the same class twice?
You get 4 choices per pick, and there are 8 skills for each class.
Double dipping Occultism also has potential.

>No-Recettear-Art/10

The Eternal Champion
Indomitable
Kyra the Undefeated
Super soldier

Chosen one
Dislocation

I never need to sleep and intense exercise, which I can get from increasing the gravity, will increase my power.

Shit, fucked up the build. Just remove the eternal champion and indomitable. Sorry about that.

You picked 2 gods...
Wasn't the WHOLE POINT that the CYOA is better when you get 1/2 of everything?

>the poorfag girl
>people
No, I've played that game, you're not fooling me.

I know, see for a better explanation of my feelings.

I want an option to build a highway to the Danger Zone.

I get it, so you can be one of those warriors who have unrealistically large and heavy weapons, but your control of gravity lets you get away with it.

Maybe I'll change it up a bit for next time.

No.

I just wanted to be able to bitch slap the world.

The absolute best way to improve the ballance of a CYOA with a bunch of choices, is to ask Anons which options are so weak that they would not be worth picking, and improve those options that there is a "this sucks" consensus on.

Neat.

>Big City [15]
>Warehouse [25]
>Highest Quality Pets [60]
>Highest Quality [Pet] Accessories [15]
>Regular Quality [Pet] Toys [5]

Rich people love pets. Adventurers love pets. They're a great status symbol, way to express individuality, etc. So I turn my Warehouse into a functional zoo. Different habitats for different creatures.

People can come and gawk at the animals for a reasonable fee. Getting different animals each month is sure to keep the exhibit fresh and exciting, drawing both locals and tourists. Plus, I can sell advertising rights for each habitat to local businesses every month. People can buy animals publicly (if they want to flaunt wealth) or privately.

>Our desperately in need of a rewrite
Mind telling me what needs to be rewritten? Have other authors come out with more repositories?

All the giant piles of horrible, terrible, rotten ideas.

>doesn't appreciate brainstorming

Sometimes you can't properly judge how good or bad an idea is until you tell someone about it.

Anyone got the pokemon version of this thing?

What an interesting thought. I'm glad you shared it.

Noice

Would slaves be illegal goods or a unique item?

There is a difference to being a dick and working, because they're two completely separate things. You can be a cunt and be a good worker at the same time. Arguably, me being an insufferable cunt is comparable to a lot of people on Veeky Forums. I just have a name, so you can collect everything I shitpost about into one alias. I really don't care how you guys treat me.

I was never a "saint", I have always acted this way (at least on anonymous image boards). But my working mode has never changed; I will engage and seek for feedback like I always have in the past.

The reason I'm so secretive about the upcoming Battlemage update is because I don't really want to showcase it until it's in a relatively complete state. It's coming as one big, complete package, packed with lore that's taking me a shit ton of time to come up with along with a many-times-reworked stat system. It's unlike anything I've made before, and is arguably more intricate in design than Star Dust (from a CYOA designer's perspective). I'm beginning to think that it's my real magnum opus, despite my namesake. I don't even care if it's well received or not anymore, I just wanna see it come together.

Probably unique item, although it doesn't really matter since the price is the same regardless.

It's nice to see someone have such pride and devotion towards their work. I'm looking forward to see what you made.

We're getting Romance DLC with it right? I want to know who to pick to be my waifu.

Smalltown:100
small building:90

Potions 2:70
Books 3:40
Clothing 2:20
Trinkets 3:5
Smoking Pipes:0

At some point you just stop caring about these faceless comments. But having a name does make for an easy target.

Even though I never really agreed much with you, especially you as a person, I still respect your works.

>It's unlike anything I've made before, and is arguably more intricate in design than Star Dust (from a CYOA designer's perspective). I'm beginning to think that it's my real magnum opus

You ruined it, now it can't possibly live up to the hype.

>pic
Is this part of a series?
Gremlin D.Va is a gift. But Mei is a real monster.

>I just have a name, so you can collect everything I shitpost about into one alias.

Why not just leave the name field blank?
Did your parents not give you enough attention?

Being a attention whore is all part of SDA's lesbian essence.

Gremlin D.Va is love. Gremlin D.Va is life.

Source was lazorchef on tmblr.

>We're getting Romance DLC with it right?
Possibly. I've thought about it.

>Why not just leave the name field blank?
Because it makes people angry and I find it entertaining, so I deliberately do it to piss people off.

Update to the pervy superhero cyoa.
90% playable.
Still accepting feedback/suggestions.

Namefags have existed forever dude, this isnt /b/ by the way. Stop shitposting the lot of you.

Veeky Forums is just /b/ but about traditional gaming

All boards are essentially /b/ focused towards a narrow range of topics.

>No castrator.
>Included my other suggestions.

I'm okay with this.

>Veeky Forums is just /b/ but about traditional gaming
>All boards are essentially /b/ focused towards a narrow range of topics.

What are your actual powers? Just generic super strength and durability, or something else?
Either is fine, just confused.

Could use some explanation/detail on some of the powers I guess. Examples being vampirism, Time freeze, aura vision, disintegration, probability manipulation, energy neutralization, etc. Maybe just add a bit of detail to each, and put "does what it says" if there is really no detail needed.
That sounds like a lot of work though.

>Time freeze
Yes please

danger zone
nothing
potions x3
magical ingredients x3
spell tomes x3
weaponry x2

Founder
The Legate

Listening