/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

>Question of the Now:
What awg's would make the better super sayian wg, if mashed up and combining their features?

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

scotiagrendel.com/Products/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=217_218
s252.photobucket.com/user/chambersofminiatures/library/
ebay.co.uk/sch/Wargames-Role-Playing/16486/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=acrobat23
russia-best.com/category/medieval-town/all/
bogdanwaz.blogspot.co.nz/2016/04/clever-paper.html
gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com/search/label/15mm 40K
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How does this thread not relate to fantasy? It's full of fantasy miniatures.

Is this a meme now?

I hope it's just that rather than people being unable to process words correctly.

wut gaem be this?

Dunno, just Antenocities old line of totally not straight from Red Faction Guerrilla vehicles.

Looks nice at least!

>Little Wars

This game was my shit in middle school. We'd get big bags of civil war army men and use tiddliwinks for rifle fire, with lincoln log buildings and fortifications and plastic trees and fences for terrain. Looking back the one thing we did wrong was using nerf guns to simulate artillery fire, since it made the cannons so ridiculously powerful that we had to limit how many times each one could fire in a battle. We'd have been better off flicking wine corks or something.

Damn, I looked for a model I used as a zoanthrope proxy (just skip attaching the arms) back in the old dark days of 40k, using the wargame wiki list in the OP, and holy fuck these models are still being made today?
The company actually has a damn fine range of scifi 28mm, everything from postapoca or slumming ganger dudes (i.e. Necromunda minis) to spess muhreens and hitech killing machines. Didn't expect an old 90's relics leading to a goldmine?
scotiagrendel.com/Products/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=217_218

I was wondering if anyone recognizes these scifi minis?

these look so good

Was gonna ask about these too, but they were Copplestone's Future Wars apparently.

Dude has tons of albums of cool awg minis:
s252.photobucket.com/user/chambersofminiatures/library/

How does Little wars compare to modern wargames?

you can play it with risk minis

Those are Ratnik/Lead Adventure not!stalker figures.

I have some, they're really nice figures.

They've also inherited the Void/Urban War lines, I'd order more from them if they weren't in the UK.

Those are all studio mcvey's sedition wars IIRC.

>tfw no space asshole minis game
>in a truck, flying off a ridge

Note that a lot of their scenery is more 25mm than 28mm, and, well, use it for squats is what I'm saying. Thin squats. It can still look cool, but it's teeny.

It's the first wargame I know of with a point system for determining the composition of forces (though you can also just play with whatever you have) and it uses the same rules for designing the battlefield that many modern games use (one guy arranges the terrain, the other guy picks what side to start on).

It has rules for hidden movement in large scale games, instead of placing the troops on the floor you stick them in boxes until they get within a certain distance of the enemy, so you can't tell what each unit is composed of (Too Fat Lardies use a similar mechanic in their games called 'blinds', and I'm sure other games do something similar). Wells suggested using a curtain to divide the battlefield while both sides arranged their forces. I don't know of any game that handles it this way although you could easily simulate the same thing by drawing your order of battle out on a piece of paper and revealing it at the same time as your opponent.

One of the rules is that there's a time limit for each turn, Wells laments that what we would today think of as a chess clock wasn't widely available. It encourages you to plan your moves and actually pay attention when it isn't your turn, but I doubt it would work with any wargame that used dice since it takes so much longer to measure ranges and hem and haw over the effects of gunfire, special abilities of different troop types, etc. One thing that could be interesting would be to change the amount of time each side had based on the 'quality' of the force's commander. I'll use the example of the Civil War since that's what we always played: if in the scenario you make up the Yankees are commanded by Burnside while the Rebels have Lee, the Union player gets half as much time as the Confederate to move and fire, in order to reflect the massive disparity in leadership ability.

For what it's worth, here's a compiled version of the rules we used. It isn't hard to find a PDF or html of the original game.

I saw in the other thread people criticising the quality of the WGF minis Warlord acquired for project Z. I was interested in the spec ops team for use as modern soldiers, has anybody had any experience with them?

>I'd order more from them if they weren't in the UK.
Mainalnd Europe user here, I can't pity you since ordering from the UK is expensive postagewise, but ordering from the US is expensive AND slow.

Appear to be. Such a shame they don't sell those now, I could take some extras that fit the base game,

I have a box of them, they are cool. There are some annoying "features", such as not nearly enough arms so the poses are a bit limited (originally they planned 4 bodies per sprue, so two sprues per box, like with all the other boxes), and you need to be careful with assembly so avoid some crappy poses. The bullpup assault rifle poses look weird, I'd avoid using those. There are lots of additional weapons as always, so if you want ARs with tacsights, go for it. I got it when Warlord sent me a 10GBP off coupon, otherwise it's fukken expensive.

Yeah, £15 for 8 figures is slightly ridiculous. I just don't know of anybody else making a modern soldier 28mm plastic kit. The Mantic one is monopose as far as I know.

Also if this supermarket was not £45 I would definitely buy it. It reminds me too much of playing XCOM to resist.

Nobody sadly. Plus there are some pretty important weapons missing, like no M249, no sniper rifles...for the mall, it seems big enough to worth that 45 britbucks.

Well its not intended to actually make US Army squads, just generic spoopy spec op guys. It also looks handy for making paramilitary guys. Still a shame.

They don't seem to give dimensions for it on the website but it looks roughly 12x12. Its not bad I suppose, just seems to compare poorly to some of the Bolt Action terrain for a similar price.

All of that sounds super interesting

Timed turn may work on a game were each player only has a handful of minis.

The original game is practically impossible to play rules-as-written due to the comparative scarcity of tiny breechloading toy cannons, but it isn't hard to come up with alternate solutions like flicked corks. The rules for infantry shooting given in the original are just to use a cannon and fire once for every five soldiers in the unit, but you can easily use tidliwiinks or rubber bands for rifle fire.

Thanks!

Isn't it just GW minis in the last few years that have grown large enough to be "true" 28mm? It seems the scale has mostly become a standard term for old 25mm stuff? For example, Necromunda and everything Scotia Grendel had was always 25mm.

I don't know, is this a /awg/-related question or not, but are there any resources (forums maybe, or something) for a new SAGA-players?

I'd like to know how this system feels on the table. What more common system it's closest to. What playstyle different armies have. What miniatures are good beside Gripping Beast.
In other words - typical noob questions.

Well this seems like a question for /hwg/ they love men doing fights I hear.

Hot Diggety

>/hwg/
oops, I missed that thread. Thank you, kind user. And sorry for the wrong thread.

Has anyone tried Konflict '47 yet?

So I was browsing the bay of e and came across these:

ebay.co.uk/sch/Wargames-Role-Playing/16486/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=acrobat23

Pretty decent looking cardboard terrain, could be good for games like Frostgrave. Anyone have any experience with any of it? Be nice to have a brand name.

Shame shipping is so high, the base price is decent but once you factor in shipping (and if you are unlucky tax) they aren't really worth it.

I suppose if the seller combines shipping it might work out.

I may be wrong, but I remember seeing something like that on aliexpress and cheaper.

I haven't built anything from cardboard myself, but i'm in a Papercraft group for Warhammer40k on FB and the things these guys are building are incredible. If its well done you hardly can tell the difference.

That being said, i wouldn't pay that much for these because there are free copies for "kits" in the internet everywhere.

There was a bundle of holding with "Fat Dragon" terrain a few weeks ago too, maybe someone can upload these for you.

the problem I have with the free stuff is to get the most out of it I'd either need to pay to get it printed or buy a new printer as mine is pretty gash.

Once you factor that in I may as well have just bought some terrain.

I saw that in my LFS like an hour ago and wondered the same thing. Looks neat.

Well, you can use a printer for many other things, plus if you already have a good one, it's all good.

Nah. GW are well on their way from "heroic 28" up to 32mm, having started out as 28mm as opposed to 25mm, while Scotia Grendel's terrain is slightly small even against "true" 25mm.

That's a bit overpriced - IIRC you can get it without going through ebay stores. Try russia-best.com/category/medieval-town/all/ although I can't personally speak for the site - I've read decent reviews though.

They're apparently pretty solid and thick, more like hardback books than thin card.

>having started out as 28mm
Funfact: GW didn't started at 2nd ed 40k and 4th ed WHFB.

Check scale though. IIRC the "medieval town" stuff should be OK. I checked shipping to the UK and it was $10 for one $5 item, $36 for ten, which puts the average price of a $5 inn up to $8.60. Seems reasonable, actually.

bogdanwaz.blogspot.co.nz/2016/04/clever-paper.html

I'm simplifying, hush. Scotia Grendel are a decent company anyway.

if its anything like bolt action is when it comes to smoothness of play I'm stoked(especially as I preordered it and got the damn thing for half the price) that said in BA I've been playing late war soviets...so I've got some waiting to do for the fun stuff yet for my army.

Any official source for 2ed 40k being 28mm? I've always understood it as 25mm being the "default" scale in the olde days of yorne, and most of that crap gotten reclassified as 28mm in the last 15 years?

But I dunno anything about Scotia Grendel's terrain, so I won't argue you there. Buy-terrain a shit, compared to polystyrene with some flock upon a it, so I've never cared for it. But their models are at least nice and very usable for both 25mm and 28mm ranges.

GW has always claimed they're 28mm and now they're 28mm heroic to cover for the clown hands and heads.

Foam board works better if you're going to build terrain, simple to make ruins with just a knife a pen and a ruler. Just don't be one of those pricks using 2D terrain. Fuck those bitches

So is Dragon Rampant is any fun?
Has anyone played?

i read the rules but seems kinda bland, but i really like the idea that i don't need many models to play

i was thinking on use my beastmen to prepare a demo game but the forces seems kinda unbalanced or is just my impression , so here are the warbands what do you think?

Warband 1 BIG BULLS
3x minotaurs 6pts
Elite Foot, leader (banner), Reduced Model Unit
3x monotaurs 6pts
Elite Foot, Reduced Model Unit
1x gorghon 8 pts
Greater Warbeast, Fear
6x warhound 4pts
Lesser warbeast

Total 24 pts

Warband 2 Beastmen
1x shaman 10pts
Elite Foot, Single Model, Leader, Spellcaster
12x bestigors 6pts
Heavy foot,Offensive
12x gor 4pts
Bellicose Foot
12x ungor raider 4pts
Light Missiles

Total 24 pts

Is the activation the same as in Lion Rampant a.k.a. good chance of you sitting idle for turns because of your first failed activation?

preach it brother, my warmahordes group has gone to using placemat terrain and its sickening.

I'm not sure why they're doing it DESU. I understand now everyone is creative but at that stage you may as well use a coke can and a used condom.

it's basically the same rulebook + fantasy elements
and you can use Reduced Model Unit (so you can field half (or less) models and every model has 2 (or more) "wounds") like minotaurs (the elite foots has Strength Points 6 so every model has 2 wounds) Single Model Unit (one unit is one model) like the gorghon or shaman (so one model has 6 "wounds"

beyond that i can't say much i haven't play lion rampant

>good chance of you sitting idle for turns because of your first failed activation?

you're an actual retard who doesn't understand statistics, please stop posting

>He doesn't know that statistics cannot be applied during a game and you are at mercy of your dice

hey now, I've used coke cans and carboard boxes as improv terrain and they work pretty good really.

Are you a fucking retard? Any decent player applies statistics. If I need a 12 to hit on 2 dice I sure as fuck don't take the chance, if I need a 4 I do.

>failing 4+ on 2d6 happens all the time

good argument, good claim

see

"muh statistics" versus my game experience where I got slaughtered because my dice simply refused to roll above 6. And if you fuck up one, single, solitary activation, your turn is over.

>2d terrain
The fuck, 4srs? That sounds worse than playing with one of these.

>waaah I got unlucky this one time

we need another world war

>I buy cheap dice that are weighted towards low numbers so statistics are invalid

I still have mine, I wonder if it's tourney legal..

Race wars coming brother.

So you say that a system that has a good chance that you sit out half the game because fucked up activation rolls is good?

Lol, okay.

I'm not arguing the system, I'm arguing you're a nigger who can't maths. It's a fundamentally different argument.

Tbqh a system where if you're kinda unlucky your whole goddamn turn goes out the window, and your opponent is free to commence The Rapening, doesn't sounda like a good system.

Best unit activates on a 7 if I recall correctly, and you won't have that much of them. Which means you'll have a greater chance NOT activating your units.

And yeah, me asking if the same activation rules are in the Dragon Rampant rules that has the god-awful "fail a roll? turn over" mechanics is totally legit. Which is what I originally said, and I have no idea where you got that "hurr, can't math shit".

Why aren't you using 1/144 scale gundams as titans for your 15mm sci-fi games yet?

Because I'm a Gundam autist and I will fucking shit talk you until you stop abusing Gunpla that way.

>1/144
>not 1/100
pleb

because i don't play any 15mm sci-fi game or have any gundams

what game do you recommend me

Horizon Wars

This.

I mean, games that tend to do this mechanic are typically the big games with lots of commanders to fail with or a minimum of 1 successful activation so you're never gonna be stuck doing nothing. Or games that'll let you choose who gets to activate but not allow everyone.

Being prevented from doing anything in a turn at all due to random chance is just bad game design, 'realism' be damned.

How is that abuse?

How is it not abuse to tell something it is something that it isn't? Do you think we can just cut a Gouf's nose a bit shorter and it will be a Zaku? That's no Zaku, no Zaku..

Especially if enemy archers are in your infantry's face, but they would charge, because they are too buy picking their nose. Get shot to pieces? Nah, more interesting stuff to do. The Warlord mass battle systems handle this by giving those units free moves so they could act on their own in the face of danger as soldiers are not fucking retards.

I actually bought a chibi gundam (google "Gundam Converge") for some 15mm play in mind.

The convergence line is fantastic. I wanted to collect them but had no reason to do so. They're cheap and cool.

shit units activate on a 6
average units activate on a 5
elite units activate on a 4 or better

it helps to play the game you shitpost about so you don't come across as actually retarded

nevermind the fact that units have different activation values for moving/charging and bonuses for defending

That's no Zaku boy, no Zaku

Why would I play the game if I find the core mechanics bad, and why letting others know about the flaws bad?

Wait...shitposter-kun, is that you again?

For Lion Rampant the scale of battle is so small that's it's also really unreasonable to have to require rolling for orders from a central commander. It's an oversized skirmish, there's far better, more appropriate ways to limit freedom of action and include imperfect control mechanically.

>So you say that a system that has a good chance that you sit out half the game because fucked up activation rolls is good?
>Lol, okay.

Confirmed that you've never played any Rampant game in your life and you're just a fat console warrior in your mom's basement shitposting.

>tourney legal..

Well, it is 100% GW made.

I meant they wouldn't charge, but forgot it...but basically yeah, that's my biggest problem. The activation system. Something along the line of Sharpe Practice would be much better, but since Lords&Servants is available, which is basically the same, but with better mechanics, I see no reason to play Lion Rampant other than the hype train of Osprey.

It's okay shitposter-kun, you can go to sleep now.

When I started /awg/ I had a grand vision, a vision of discussing fun games.

Now the thread is just whining about dice and how dice are bad. Apparently frostgrave is garbage and so are the rampant games, I guess SoBaH is bad too because you can lose your turn activations, which also makes Gods and Mortals bad.

This thread originally spawned from "Veeky Forums doesn't give osprey enough credit" to which I disagreed because /hwg/ loves osprey, then browsing KoWg they were wishing there was a fantasy wargaming general because KoWg was dying.

Now this thread is just a couple of babies crying that they get bad dice rolls. You guys and your worthless lives sicken me, not because you upset me, but because you propagate misinformation about wargaming. If you have noticed there are occasionally people who come into these threads because they're new to wargaming, and the first thing they see is you spilling your cheerios all over the floor because "muh dice in muh dice game".

When this general started it was very positive, discussing miniatures, discussing rare wargames, people talking about assembling warbands. Now it's just whining like the other wargaming threads.

TL;DR you guys are the /v/ of wargaming and I regret starting this general, I hope it dies.

sucks to suck

I'll be

Kindly fuck off. You can blog about your stupid shit else where while we discuss how cool men so small they make your penis look big are.

Calm down user, this is just the usual cycle of hype > moan > hype and repeat. Ignore the dice shenanigans and look at this cool blog of a dude who made a couple of 15mm 40k warbands: gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com/search/label/15mm 40K

I've seen a whole bunch of 15mm 40k on Shapeways a couple of years ago, and they looked neat.

If you want a hugbox where no-one ever has a critical opinion of any wargame, valid or invalid as they may be, then kindly fuck off to lead adventurer or any other heavily moderated forum where there rule is if you can't say anything nice, don't say a damn thing.

If you actually want to discuss games no-holds-barred, welcome to Veeky Forums.

Dinosaur Nazis related.

>Dinosaur Nazis related.
You mean sleepy dinosaur nazis.

so what can i do with a 40k ork army
i really like the models but i haven't play 40k over 3 years now
is it This is not a test any good?
or should i sell those green men

>Lead Adventure

I know its not their fault but its pretty fucked up that a wargames forum with a WW2 section is not allowed to post images that have a nazi symbol in them.

Why's that?

I'm /pol/ as fuck and if they're going to censor Nazi shit I'll go to a different forum to discuss my toy soldiers. I understand keeping politics out of mini forums, but not allowing imaginary is fucking stupid.

It's a Germany-based website.

Yeah, but you won't need more than a handful of soldiers. Try some Mantic games, you can use your orks there with little to no modifications. Deadzone and Warpath+Firefight as soon as they get released, but you can get the beta rules from their forum I guess.