/5eg/ D&D 5e General

Dangerous Settings Edition

Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Previous Session
Have you ever played a campaign that primarily took place in dangerous/inhospitable environments?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/4ze9ar/spoilers_just_picked_up_storm_kings_thunder_ama/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First lockadins being the strongest

Warlocks are indeed the best, so it would make sense that lockadins are among the best.

Sorcerer paladin is better.

Isn't that the point of Dark Sun?

reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/4ze9ar/spoilers_just_picked_up_storm_kings_thunder_ama/

SKT has begun the early release!

scan when?

Is there a way to represent that my character is good at navigating underwater ruins/dungeons as opposed to ones on the surface?

>Have you ever played a campaign that primarily took place in dangerous/inhospitable environments?

Yup, had one entirely taking place in cold-weather climate places for awhile once.
Campaign didn't last particularly long, but it was a memorable one for everyone involved, enough that I've reused PC's and NPC's from it as characters in other games I've done.

Sure.
Give them Advantage when doing Perception checks and such in those specific environments.

favored terrain, underwater dungeon.

>The disclaimer
Someone call in an orbital retrieval for my sides.

is that a new feat?

yes please

Ranger feature. You can be forgiven for forgetting about stuff rangers can do.

Best case is sometime this weekend, worst case is a week or two after world wide release and not the early WotC-approved stores.

No, it's a ranger class feature, but ask your DM to let you have it.

Rogues are supposed to sneak attack pretty much every turn, but they're forced to think about it.

They don't just choose an enemy and say 'I'll sneak attack them.'
They have to co-ordinate with their team, get the jump on the enemies, use a bit of skill.

The level 13 ability does not gaurantee advantage.

You have to use either an action or a bonus action to move the hand within 5ft. If you use your action, you've lost your attack. If you've used your bonus action, you cannot use the ability to grant advantage. You cannot move the hand as the target must be within 5ft before move.

The 'you can't take shield or absorb elements if you take find familiar' is a very good point, but it doesn't stop someone such as a wizard abusing it, either.
A wizard practically gets 'find familiar' for free, and has a good number of spells that would benefit from free, unadulterated advantage.
Not to mention, warlocks get invisible familiars, so they could have invisible familiars granting them advantage all day long.

Longbow does less damage, plain and simple.
BB does extra damage, increased on a crit (more likely to crit with advantage) and then more damage if the enemy moves (You can disengage the enemy).

See above, the hand is a later level feature and doesn't automatically grant it. This doesn't justify use on warlocks, either.

For rogues specifically, advantage is better than two attacks if the target cannot be sneak attacked.

>moving next to enemy that your teammate is hitting
>hitting them for sneak attack damage
>moving out with your free disengage

"""skill"""

Rogues aren't that hard to play.

I'm not saying it's hard to do.

I'm saying rogues aren't supposed to automatically get sneak attack on anything they want to sneak attack. Guy the fighter is fighting? You can help with that.
Want to go lone wolf and attack that archer way off in the distance? You're going to have to use a bit of stealth.

If you want to make a point like that, you might as well ask them to remove the requirements for sneak attack entirely.

You can use your bonus action to move the hand AND grant advantage (otherwise the ability would be totally worthless). It's part of your cunning action; it grants a new feature to your Mage Hand and your mage hand is useable via bonus action. Furthermore, when you use your mage hand you can move it up to 60 feet as part of the action.

You do have to think about how to keep your owl safe too. It's not just someone shooting it with a bow or swatting it out of the air. Any AOE will kill it dead, and while you can "just summon" it takes an hour and ten minutes which isn't something you always get. If you're relying on your owl spam too much and it dies before a fight with your BBEG, your screwed.

>If the target cannot be sneak attacked

that's ridiculously easy to do. Go up to something another melee is in range to, and use two attacks. Those are better than one attack with advantage.

>attack with advantage for sneak attack damage
>move to obstacle
>take free hide action at end of turn
>repeat

This barely requires any thought at all.

Alternatively
>be swashbuckler
>attack with advantage when alone
>attack with advantage when not alone

Alternatively
>be arcane trickster
>use mage hand to gain advantage every turn.

In order for a rogue to not have sneak attacks you practically have to ignore all their class features, and force combat to be in featureless rooms made of perfectly clear glass.

I am very excited for tressym stats. My minotaur could do with a flying cat familiar.

Also, let me add to this:

At level 20, a rogue might actually prefer having advantage over having two attacks sometimes.

Let's say you roll 17, and then 20.
The 17 hits.
Normally, you'd apply your 10d6 sneak attack then.
However, since you have advantage, you take the 20, your sneak attack crits and you do 20d6 sneak attack damage instead along with a 2d8+5.

Otherwise, you'd make two attacks, a 1d8+5 + 10d6, and then you crit on the second doing an extra +2d8.

Of course, the chance of this situation occuring is (19/20)*(1/20) for getting an extra 10d6 which is slim, whereas the rogue with an extra 1d8 every round they get an additional hit probably competes with that.
Even so, you're choosing between an additional tiny chance of getting super sneak attack or an extra 1d8, it's not a big deal.

You designate a creature within 5ft of the hand. THEN you can move it.

You can move the hand every time you do something with it, and while you could normally make it go pick up something, you can't even take the action in the first place if nothing is within 5ft of the hand.
You can easily move the hand into position on another turn since you can use it as a bonus action, there's no way that's useless.

And, as above, sometime advantage is better. And, what if:
a) you move first, visible but high initiative
b) you're not an assassin (you're an arcane trickster)
c) because of the above, you have neither advantage and there are no allies within 5ft of enemies?

Thanks to whoever suggested contacting customer support before when I mentioned that giant chunks of pages had fallen out of my PHB. I preordered it on amazon and got a first print and had no idea the bindings were faulty until the pages just fell out one day when I honestly had barely even used the book, everything else is basically perfect condition.

They just offered to send a replacement with basically no questions asked except my mailing address.

There are not always places to hide.
You do not always succeed your hide check.
Hide action is not free. Hide action takes a bonus through cunning action. If you could use it as a free action and use your cunning action, you could probably dash 60ft to find something to hide behind in almost any situation. But you can't, because hiding is a bonus action.

The swashbuckler is one specific archetype that's sort of a dueller and kiter, the other archetypes can't follow that.

I've already ben mentioning why mage hand - which you only get to get advantage with at level 13 - does not always grant free advantage.

Yeah, bindings on the very first print run were rushed and shitty because they wanted to get like 5 million books on the shelves for day 1 sales and only got PHB to the publishers like 6 weeks before release.

your reasoning that advantage is "Sometimes better" is retarded and doesn't make owl flyby assistance any less not broken.

You're also wrong about Versatile Trickster. The 5 feet restriction just means your hand needs to end within 5 feet of what you're trying to get advantage of.

Moving 30 feet to find an obstacle to hide behind is sufficient in most indoors environments, and really outdoors too. Unless you're fighting on them featureless plains, in which case your DM is really phoning it in.

Failing hide checks is possible, but far less likely with expertise and eventually reliable talent. You may as well say that sometimes other classes miss their extra attacks. Good job captain obvious and irrelevant.

tfw fighter 2/ sorcerer 6

tfw hurling 3 fireballs in a single turn.

Fireball + Empowered Spell
Action Surge
Fireball + Empowered Spell
Fireball + Empowered Spell + quickened Spell

>tfw out of all my 3rd level spell slots and almost all my sorcery points in a single turn.

I just rolled 24d6 and it was dank as fuck though.

You're going to have a hard time convincing anyone that two things that are completely allowed by RAW and RAI from the developers is something that shouldn't be allowed. You've chosen an interesting hill to stand your ground on.

You should probably read the rules on bonus action spells. Page 202 iirc

When you cast a spell as a bonus action, any spells that require 1 action to cast, on that turn can only be cantrips.

Wrong guy?

Probably but the sneak attack argument has been going long enough that I'm sure the interested parties will still see it.

It's probably a response to bait though.

Oh, so quicken spell is like, fucking worthless then.

Whatever I guess you could get similar effects by using an action surge and casting 2 single target spells that were twin spelled + empowered

I'm experimenting with making magic item creation more interesting and wanted some thoughts.

This assumes magic items are rare and cant just be bought in town. Although ive toyed with the idea of rare underground magic item auctions in big cities.

My idea is that players with the correct proficienes collect magic iten formulas that can then be used to craft items. Theae formulas are scribed in a book much like the wizards spell book but the formulas are random and handed out by the DM as treasure or are gained on a level up . They start out as uncommon item formulas from level 3 and this increases at level 6 and then 11. There's also a small chance they can get a higher rarity formula at lower levels.

The formulas themselves contain components needed to craft the magic items such as an ogre hand , or an enemy chief killed in battle that players need to quest for. They may also need to craft the item in a certain location ot a certain time of the day. I'm concerned this may be too laborious or abusable if the players find a way to farm ogre hands or whatever.

I also thought of an alternative which can work either in tandem or alternatively which would involve players being able to melt down magic items for an equivalent amount of residuum which they can use to craft items from the formulas they have learned. Such residuum is so rare it again can't just be bought in the marketplace however may turn up as treasure sometimes. This makes the process simpler but removes some of the flavour. The idea in general is to make magic items special but also give the players some agency and control over it, and excitement when they find a cool formula and manage to find the components for it.

Any thoughts?

Quicken can make the bonus action spell and the cantrip hit the same target. Twin has to be different targets. It's more damage, but it's spread out and less effective.

Twin Spell can't effect a creature twice. Quicken Spell is also by no means "retarded", it's arguably the best metamagic alongside Twin Spell. You may not get to throw out double fireball but bonus action fireballs are still swell, whether you get additional damage out of a cantrip that turn or simply use your action for something else.

Don't call Twin bad either because Twinning haste or Hold Person is huge.

do we know for sure if Volo's guide will ahve goblin playable race?
Reaaaallly wanna do that one shot campaign that matthew mercer did for that pathfinder event, it was fun as fuck.

Your first option is literally suggested in the DMG as an alternative.

Your second option works exactly as it did in 4e DMG 2.

This. Quicken is the best metamagic because of its efficiency and versatility. A fun combo is to concentrate on Sunbeam or Watery Sphere and then quicken spells on subsequent turns while controlling the concentration spells with your action.

Fucking worthless was definitely an exageration. I think I'd rather have twin spell though and be shittier on single target fights until later when I can pick up quicken as well.

Since I can only cast 3rd level spells what spell is best for LOADS OF DAMAGE thats a spell that can be twin cast?

And where does it say that?

According to mage hand, you can use an action to control the hand, and move it 30ft. It then lists things that you can do during that action.
You do it during the action, which means you can move it and then do the task.

However, according to the versatile trickster ability, it doesn't even specifically state you are using the mage hand. It is implied, but it is not stated.
>you pick a target within 5ft of the mage hand, you gain advantage against it.
That is what it is functionally doing.
It does say you are distracting targets with your mage hand, but it doesn't specifically state you are using the mage hand.
So, already, it's coming into question whether you can move the hand after using that ability.
And most would say yes.
But, it doesn't really say you're controlling the hand at any point, whereas the other features specifically state you are controlling the mage hand.
If you want to be strict about RAW, I don't think you can even move the hand at all using that ability.

And it'd still be viable. You can move your hand as a bonus when you don't need to cunning action, and you can grant yourself advantage as a bonus another turn. This advantage is MUCH better for booming blade, as booming blade does not allow you to make two attacks.

And you'd deal
8d8+20d6 + potential extra 4d8 on a crit, at a 39/400 chance.

Two-weapon-fighting on the other hand without advantage might deny you extra crit damage, and does less damage.

Hopefully not for a few weeks at least. Go buy the damn book.

can someone answer me please?

There's nothing really good for single target damage until Disintegrate that is eligible for Twin Spell.

If you're in an indoors environment, you could be having to fight through doors or corridors sometimes.

If you can't find a flank route and have to go through that choke point, stealth may very well not work.
A hide check doesn't make you invisible like on WoW or something. If you have to go right up to an enemy's face and attack, there's debate as to whether you've been sneaky enough to catch them off-guard with all the fighting going on or if they see you coming down that corridor because it's almost impossible to stealth down that corridor when a guard is looking directly down it.

I think, in the end, it's vaguely justifiable if you used a bonus action to command your owl to give you advantage.
A beastmaster has to use an entire action to make his pet use the 'help' action.

So yes, it's not awfully broken at later levels and conditionally at lower levels, but...

Your DM will then have to allow all chain warlocks to have advantage on their familiar's attacks.
A warlock's familiar has invisibility.
A warlock's familiar has magic resistance.
A warlock's familiar can actually attack if the warlock uses an entire action, however -
Can a warlock's familiar really grant the warlock advantage all the time until an enemy notices this invisible, helping thing in the air?

That would make pact of the chain way too powerful compared to the other two pacts.

Just use stats for halflings with a few extra twists to it. Run the game, have fun.

Sorry, I meant on 'their' attacks, not their familiar's attacks.
The familiars likely already have advantage on their attacks due to being invisible.

>doing the math now I'm cockblocked my sorcery point caps.

I assume I need 8 sorcery points max in order to spend 8 on one turn even if I spend a spell slot for more points.

They made it really hard to do tons of damage like a boss. I just want to do 12d12 damage on one turn at level 8, is that so much to ask?

ouh, which twists would you put?
I'm a fairly new both dm and tabletop player.

Advice building a Flaming Grappler in 5th edition? I am DMing Lost Mine of Phandelver and have a friend who wants to build a grappler who sets himself on fire and then grapples people. I would prefer to find a magical way to do it, but I can't find any touch attack fire spells that stack with grapple attempts. I may have to just suggest a non magical means or homebrew something. Any help would be appreciated.

Beast master is the most underpowered class in the game. If you're using it in any way as a basis for your balance opinions about other classes, you've got serious problems with your argument.

And yes, Pact of Chain Familiars can use the help action, explicitly RAW.

Yeah, you got it right. It usually takes a little multiclassing to get serious single target damage out of a sorcerer, but you give up aoe potential and versatility for that kind of character.

Yes. Explicitly by RAW, you can be trying to tell the town guard that you are not a warlock.
Your imp can come around the corner and give you advantage through the 'help' action, to help tell the guard you are not a warlock.

That is RAW.
That is a thing.

And I'll be damned if I ever see a DM allow you to do that, or allow a player to do that myself, because that is downright stupid and what the purpose of having a DM is - to cut out blatant, unintended abuse of the RAW.

I honestly can't think of anything off the top of my head. Never really considered it. Take a look at the character race and if something sticks out as 'that would not fit' then toss it. Same with 'really need that and it is not there', just add it.

But I can't think of anything specific right now.

My greater point is not to wait for the official officialness to come out. If you don't tell anyone, they likely will never know. Or even care.

Just narrate the thing as if they are goblins, use Matt's game as an example, and go with it. Focus on size problems above all else. You will do fine.

Well I figured the action surge from fighter would be good for that, but I guess not.

I mean I did have the idea of going dragonborn, then being a draconic sorcerer, and doing like,

Breath Weapon + cantrip + quickened spell. That would be pretty cool I guess.

Ice knife, for a low-level interpretation of "loads of damage."

Spend a 2nd level slot on it, twin it, and send the knives at a pair of chumps within 5 feet of each other.

Despite creating an AoE damage effect, Ice Knife explicitly only targets the intended recipient of the spell attack.

thanks for the help :) much appreciated

I don't know how many levels you're working with, but Fighter 2+/Paladin 2+/Sorcerer X can Booming Blade+Divine Smite, Action Surge Booming Blade+Divine Smite, then Quicken Booming Blade+Divine Smite. Substitute Greenflame Blade if you can get the cleave damage and/or you're a 6+ draconic sorcerer

What the fuck is booming blade/ice knife. I only have the PHD to work with.

Booming Blade is a cantrip from the Sword Coast Adventure's Guide

Ice Knife is from the Elemental Evil Player's Companion, which is a free pdf on the DMs Guild.

EEPC is official content from Princes of the Apocalypse, not some homebrew crap

Booming blade makes you make a melee weapon attack with additional effects. It does not work with multi-attack, nor does it run off of your spellcasting modifier. Damage scales with character level.

It is a direct upgrade of making a single melee weapon attack.

It's like you don't even read the rules.

Imps can't help convince people that someone isn't a warlock, because an imp doing that is a fairly obvious sign that someone is a warlock. However, imps can help distract an enemy in pitched battle, conferring advantage on their master's ranged blasts.

First time DM, I'm using a module that is meant for 3-5 level 1 characters. But my group agreed level 1 is boring as piss for a one-shot so i agreed to make everyone level 3.

How do I scale the encounters meant for 3-5 level 1 characters for 5 level 3 characters? Should I make new ones, if so whats some good creatures for 5 level 3s to fight?

Imps have proficiency in deception.

And if you follow that very last part of the rule, you may as well throw the whole familiars thing out the window.

A familiar cannot attack. It cannot get directly involved in combat, other than flapping about and being annoying.
They do not have proficiency in attacks, because they can't even attack in the first place.
Therefore, they cannot help you make an attack.

And don't try and tell me 'well, if they COULD attack, they would have proficiency'... Because a blind bat that has proficiency in perception sure as hell isn't going to help you see the colours of the rainbow.

Oh, alright, all of what I said there assumes a wizard's familiar.

For a warlock's familiar, you have to really bring into question whether a imp can use the help command independently while invisible.

By RAW, it could.

Otherwise, I don't see why it should.

Most people can't see the imp.

Most people could hear the imp, but they're kind of too busy fighting.

The imp can't really tug at their hair or whatever, because in such a case, why don't they attack instead? That uses a warlock's attack.

Repostan. Question: If warlocks could wear cool suits of armor and turn that suit of armor into a giant mecha of 16x their size, what mechanical functions should that have?

kobold fight club.

You're really misreading a lot of rules here:

The Help Action is a combat only thing, and doesn't have the limits that Working Together has.

Find Familiar lets familars take other actions as normal, including the Help Action.

Additionally, working together doesn't require proficiency all the time. it only requires proficiency if proficiency is a requirement to do the action being helped. Proficiency isn't a requirement for making attacks, and anyways, as previously stated, this doesn't matter for the Help Action.

Help Action is someone serving as a distraction. Tapping on your shoulder, whispering in your ear, shouting in your ear, etc, etc. (more for ). All of these are things a familiar can do in some form or another.

Hey lads

I'm playing 5e for the first time and rolled a ranger. I just leveled up and need to pick a fighting style, I was originally going to go with archery but everybody in my group is a ranged/squishy character so I am thinking about getting dueling or TWF but all my stats are in dexterity so what would you guys recommend?

So can you tell me why it is a free action to make this imp distract an opponent, but why it takes an attack action foregoing an attack to make the imp make an attack?

I can't argue that it can't do it by RAW, but I swear, if anybody tries to abuse something like this I might as well make a universe where everyone carries around BEES because as long as a bee counts as a combatant and has something telling it what to do, it can technically use the help action, and BEES using monsters will always have advantage because they have BEES helping them.

If you outright tell everyone that the level 3 warlock feature is:
1. Gain 3 cantrips from any class
2. Summon a weapon in your hands
3. Get a chain that lets you use augury a few times
4. Give one person in your party free advantage on their first attack every round until the enemies discover and kill your invisible imp

I think people would probably go for the free advantage.

It's really a case of RAI over RAW, and I seriously hope you're just fighting for the case of what the RAW says, because I can't get it into my head that this would be fair.

Speaking on multiclassing paladin 6/ fighter 14 wouldn't be a meme right?

hypothetically with a paladin 6 fighter 3 you could make

4 attacks with a greatsword and deal

4 because of extra attack/action surge(((2d6 greatsword) + (2d8 divine smite) + (1d8 menacing strike superiority dice))+ strength/other damage mods)

I think that would work. It just says you can make a divine smite for each attack that hits. You can use 1 superiority die per an attack.

It's raw, and it's fair. Giving up 3 cantrips and ritual casting is huge. As you've previously demonstrated with your silly beastmaster based arguments, you have no idea what's good or bad, so I highly recommend you never DM, or attempt to """balance""" the game.

It wouldn't be a meme but it'd show you were a holdover I guess. Not that that's a bad thing.

If you're concerned about the party being too squishy pick up dueling & use a shield, or just pick defensive for the passive power.

TWF for rangers is alright, but not amazing, since you already have so many ways to spend your bonus action

Dueling's a great choice.
Get a rapier and deal 1d8+Dex+2 damage and you'll find shit works out pretty well for you.
It won't be as blatantly powerful as archery can be once you get Sharpshooter, but you won't exactly be hurting for damage at all.

Serious question, no judgements; do you even have a group?

Help has two different paragraphs. One of those paragraphs says something can help you make an attack by distracting an enemy. I'd say you could have a bird or bat familiar distract someone pretty easily.

not right now, I'm a DM and I'll probably never get to be a player. Its not so bad imagining myself playing while I watch critical role though right?

If I did run a game it would probably be fantasy craft

I'm looking at 5e because I figure the games popular enough that I might actually be able to find a group at some point. Finding a group would be easy if I could drive since I'm pretty outgoing in regards to meeting new people and hanging out.

>it's fair
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who would think it would be fair.

Wizards get 'find familiar' as practically a class feature, you could call it.
It isn't even a choice for them.
Why do they have 'true strike' as a possible cantrip when they could just use their familiar for a no concentration, free action, applies to any one teammate and not just yourself truestrike?

Pact of the tome is pretty much entirely utility. Yes, you can get shillelagh, but that only opens the option of melee fighting. Yes, you can get attack cantrips, but those are weaker alternatives to eldritch blast usually.

So is pact of the star chain, and to some extent pact of the blade as pact of the blade offers no immediate, no-invocation direct combat advantage other than allowing weapon proficiencies.

If you understand the level 3 warlock pacts, you'd understand why you aren't given 'magic resistance' as part of the familiar, and why familiars aren't intended to be free truestrikes.

Familiars are scouts, not proper combatants.

It's not even beastmaster. Almost everything that has pets or something that can help them requires the user to use actions to command their minions about.

There is a reason it's generally discouraged you have a minion army that can do everything as its own actions. Because that's broken.

Stop wasting the DMs time with extra creatures to worry about that just 'help' every turn, and play D&D as not something to be abused, but as a roleplay.

Alright, thanks guys. Gonna just go with dueling then. I don't think we are playing with any optional rules so I couldn't get feats like sharpshooter anyways.

Also just to double check, ranger spells cast like sorcerer spells right? I don't have to prepare them like a wizard, I just spend a slot and cast any of my known spells?

Quite possibly. Given it's practically free, ritual-based spell for wizards and it's a warlock's utility option, however, I would say the intention of 'find familiar' is not to have a direct effect on combat.
Only open more possibilities, for scouting and the like.
It's not supposed to be a free truestrike every turn.

Good/Bad/Meh?

Nice Stormwind fallacy, faggot.

And as a DM, I think all the familiar stuff is fair. Familiars have issues with stuff like aoe spells and breath attacks. You act like familiars are invincible.

True Strike is just in the game as a legacy thing. It's a trap option.

True Strike sucks anyways. It's probably there because...honestly I have no idea. Set up? But True Strike sucks and True Strike sucking doesn't make Familiars being able to give advantage in combat over powered.

>are scouts, not proper combatants

giving someone advantage on a single attack at huge risk to yourself is hardly a "proper combatant".

>that shit about minion army

not even closely related dude. I honestly think you are just kind of a shitter.

If you don't want the Wizard getting True Strike every turn then just have people kill the fucking thing. Have someone shoot a bolt into it to remind them that familiars aren't immortal and that the help action has risks if they keep trying to abuse it against the same enemy.

>Its not so bad imagining myself playing while I watch critical role though right?
No no, not at all.
I'm just telling you that theorycrafting silly builds for 20th level characters you won't even play and don't have a group for is kind of not really the kind of thing a lot of groups look for in a long-term player or even at GM.
You see that a lot in those Pathfinder threads and stuff too, but a ton of people on there have self-admitted that they don't actually even have games, so they just do silly theorycrafting exercises all the time instead.
While there's nothing inherently wrong with it, groups that tend to stick together for longer then one session tend to look askance at that kind of behavior because it looks like you're some Magic the Gathering player trying to "win" the game before you even play it, which I guess for some people kind of peeves them off.

I used to do that alot myself, and I basically found out that it's something people online do but the people who ACTUALLY play the game more then once and stick around in a group are usually either causal players who don't care enough to maximize efficiency and thus think the behavior is a little annoying or are more interested in the character of the character or his story or his art inspiration rather then his elite stat build or whatnot.

I don't think there's much room to question whether Versatile Trickster counts as using your Mage Hand, but you're overlooking its biggest limitation. It still took an action to cast in the first place.

As for advantage versus an extra attack, the extra attack from TWF comes at the cost of using different weapons too. Advantage on 1d8+5+sneak attack barely edges out TWF with 2d6+5+sneak attack. Advantage with 1d8+5+Sneak Attack+Booming Blade is the best, but it's hard to pull that off, and a lot more dangerous of a position than just hiding and shooting a light crossbow.

>Have you ever played a campaign that primarily took place in dangerous/inhospitable environments?

Does the underdark count?
yes, yes it does.

>I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who would think it would be fair.
Google it. Mine is by far the majority interpretation.

>Wizards get 'find familiar' as practically a class feature, you could call it.
>It isn't even a choice for them.
>Why do they have 'true strike' as a possible cantrip when they could just use their familiar for a no concentration, free action, applies to any one teammate and not just yourself truestrike?

Wizards shouldn't be attacking, generally. But familiars let them truestrike and grant advantage through help. The two are not mutually overwriting.

The warlock's biggest disadvantages are limited spell slots and limited available spells. Pact of the Tome directly addresses each of these disadvantages with cantrips, and the ability to learn rituals. It is as close to objectively the best pact there is right now.

>It's not even beastmaster. Almost everything that has pets or something that can help them requires the user to use actions to command their minions about.

Really? Because every conjure spell in the spell list lets you issue orders to your pets with a big fat (no action required) written write into the spell.

Create Undead is a bonus action to command.

Giant Insect doesn't say anything either way (it acts on your turn, but obeys your commands).

Find steed doesn't say anything either way.

I'm sure I'm probably missing a few, but in general, Beastmaster is the minority: most pets act without their master having to use an action.

Read the fucking rulebook before you pretend to be a DM.

So aside from strike damage and debuffing via eldritch blast and hex, what are other areas that a warlock excels in?

Warlocks get less benefit from Help anyway, since they operate on Eldritch Blast's multiple attacks.

Warlocks don't have to use it.

They can grant advantage to any friendly target.

They can grant it to someone such as the rogue or the champion fighter.

tfw 17th level character
paladin 6 / fighter 11
martial adept feat

6 greatsword attacks
4 1st level divine smites
2 2nd level divine smites
6 total d10 superiority dice

12d16 + 14d8 + 6d10 + damage mods

A magical weapon might make it absolutely amazing

If you go oath of vengeance you could even spend a spell slot to hunters mark it and swear your oath to get advantage on all the attacks.

Looks okay, but I feel like it reduces the likelihood of taking TWF down to just people who want to dual wield something bigger than short swords.

>muh Stormwind
The people who shout stormwind are usually the worst at showing that there's no fallacy

Utility/buffing.

Hex/Darkness are great debuffs, because they don't force a save. With the limited amounts of spell casts, you want to avoid saves as much as you can, meaning you have to turn your spells towards utility/buffing.

For instance, warlocks get Silent Image at will with an invocation. This is full cover for a teammate, at will. A hide check, at will. And those are just the obvious uses. Hex is more like a party wide damage/accuracey for saves buff.

>Looks okay, but I feel like it reduces the likelihood of taking TWF down to just people who want to dual wield something bigger than short swords.
Oh, so your saying it should be Dexterity or Strength mod damage, for people who use swords? I can see that...

yep

Any help?