Why is Age of Sigmar so hated

So I have been planning to start playing Warhammer fantasy for a long time, but after finally moving to a place where I can procure them, I heard that Warhammer fantasy is dead and is became Age of Sigmar.

I saw on the internet a lot of hate going on about this but mostly were pure hate because Warhammer fantasy died.

So I want to ask now:

-Is Age of Sigmar fluff as good as Warhammer fantasy?

-are the rules different or better?

-would you recommend it to new players?

Thanks

Answeing your question in order:

- No
-Yes, but not better
-Yes, if you're a mentally handicapped person

In the odd chance that this isn't bait.

>Is Age of Sigmar fluff as good as Warhammer fantasy?
Not even close, Warhammer fantasy has had 30+ years to develop, AoS has been around for a year.

>are the rules different
VASTLY different

>or better?
see skub

>would you recommend it to new players?
As in, your first wargame? Sure, from my understanding its simple enough ruleswise, so shouldn't be too hard to grasp, fucking expensive, though thats all GW stuff anyway.

Maybe look at some skirmish level stuff for cheaper entry level, I quite enjoy Malifaux and Infinity.

>-Is Age of Sigmar fluff as good as Warhammer fantasy?
No. Sigmarines can eat a dick.

>-are the rules different or better?
They are very hard to compare under this topic. 40k and AOS are closer for instance.

>-would you recommend it to new players?
No. Instead I would have a look at the 9th age. Looks promising.

>9th age

Fan fiction that is actually worse then End Times.

>Fan fiction that is actually worse then End Times.
I disagree. There are not many things worse than End Times and 9th age is not one of them.

>Fan fiction that is actually worse then End Times.
I disagree. Not many things are worse than End Times and 9th age surely is not one of them.

Nice shilling retard.

Warhammer had 30 years to focus and refine it's story to help develop a distinct story style and sits in a fairly low-fantasy sort of niche. Sure there is magic and monsters and whatnot, but Warhammer always tries to paint these things less as magical and mystical and more as giant wheels of teeth that will fuck you up.

Age of Sigmar is pushing pretty heavily for the High Epic Fantasy sort of material - think Hindu mythology. They are aiming for the fantasy epic to be as stupidly over top as 40k is.

Vastly different. The two games are essentially non-compatible from a mechanics standpoint. As for better, it depends on what sort of game you like. They only recently figured out that they should have a points system in place.

Not especially. The rules are easy enough, but the price of miniatures is prohibitively expensive. And you get a real mixed back with the community thanks to all the vitriol it's attracted from the whole End of Times shit.

>fluff
meh? WFB was pretty dry, AoS is kind of trying for more drama and bombastic stuff. I don't care for either that much.

>rules
WFB rules were a clusterfuck. AoS rules are very quick, but could use improvement.

Still, nice to have games not take all day.

>new players
If your area plays AoS absolutely yes
otherwise, only if you like the models

the rules are free and just four pages. Give them a read if you haven't

As a fellow new player, I'll say that the game is easy to pick up.

I wouldnt hey involved in it if you didnt have a group of friends to regularly play it with.

The lore sucks, and thats without me knowing anything about the old lore.

>STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE

>Nice shilling retard.
You are retarded.

Are you talking about the insufferable 9th age samefags that never shut up about how end times ruined their fantasy before ranting about their own shitty fanfiction?

Fuck off to your containment board and keep discussing your furry ind armies and raging over end times when the first post asks you not to.

>Fuck off to your containment board and keep discussing your furry ind armies and raging over end times when the first post asks you not to.
You truly are retarded aren't you?

Nice to see you have no arguments beside raging over your dead setting and shitposting.

>incredibly stupid plot possibly written by CWC's long lost secret twin brother
>it was all according to Tzeench's plan
>even the part where Krell(undead allowed to live by Khorne) kills Sigvald the Magnificent(whom Khorne should really like due to the RAGE)
>especially the part where Sigmar decides to kidnap Slaanesh, remake the world with no powers, remake the fucking orks and call them something else, remake all the horrible undead that absolutely fucked the empire, and give Chaos a fighting chance.

As someone with absolutely no history in any Warhammer property and no clue about what he is talking about, I'm assuming it's because they took WH40k and went "except without the guns" and people took that as extremely lazy.

>Nice to see you have no arguments beside raging over your dead setting and shitposting.
Neither do you. You have argued about fuck all, and you know it.

9th age is a desperate attempt by fans to cling to warhammer fantasy. They claim to hate End Times yet base their new lore on it. They complain that Age of Sigmar is badly written when their own fluff is horseshit. I personally believe that if you liked the setting just ignore end times and keep with the never advancing story. Warhammer Fantasy is dead and no amount of fanfiction or bad third party miniature kickstarters will bring it back.

Warhammer Fantasy Battles is dead, long live Warhammer Age of Sigmar!

Warhammer Fantasy:

>Had been around for about 30-ish years
>Not exactly the most unique setting but still had some great stuff
>Generally had a mixture of high fantasy elements alongside fairly grim and low fantasy elements
>Game-wise typically focused on large battles between units of soldiers
>Fairly complex rules

Age of Sigmar:
>Very new, the end result of a series of books called The End Times that killed off the Warhammer Fantasy setting
>Generally appears to be a more high fantasy setting that focuses on big heroes and battles
>The game is considerably less complex than Fantasy (4 pages of rules compared to a massive book)

>9th age is a desperate attempt by fans to cling to warhammer fantasy.
And? What is wrong with that?

>They claim to hate End Times yet base their new lore on it.
From what I know, 9th age doesn't really contain any lore whatsoever. Even if it did, I would not care.

>They complain that Age of Sigmar is badly written when their own fluff is horseshit.
I don't care about the fluff. What makes AOS bad is the rules. I haven't gone over the general's handbook (perhaps they fix everything?), but the rules before sucked.

>Warhammer Fantasy Battles is dead, long live Warhammer Age of Sigmar!
Fuck you!

9th age is a continuation of the 8th edition ruleset yes? The edition was was universally despised? All editions after 5th were a mistake.

>. They claim to hate End Times yet base their new lore on it.

Are you confusing Endhammer with 9th Age?

>They claim to hate End Times yet base their new lore on it.
This always bugged me about 9th Age. End Times was 90% dogshit so why base your retcon on it?
Wouldn't it make more sense to write off End Times entirely and place it at the end of Storm of Chaos?
>Chaos actually suffering a proper defeat for once and retreating to lick its wounds
>the various good guys getting hopelessly overextended going after them
>Nagash gearing up to sucker punch *everyone*
But no, let's keep pretending there's something worth salvaging in End Times.

That was*

Most likely I have.

Well I can see why people would be pissed. All that work and money you spent going kinda down the drain.

But personally as a guy who never got into WHF but just started AoS I really like it personally. I like how I only have to drop like a 100 bucks to get into it totally. Wasn't that bad.

Literally none of that last paragraph happened

No. The setting is simply inferior in terms of content and comprehensiveness.

Different yes. 8th was bad, but I can't call Age of Sigmar any better considering the poor core rules and variety of broken shit.

It is easy to learn the core rules, so maybe. The game is very expensive though in comparison to the competition. If you are fine paying $100 for three horsemen, then I would say that it is the game fore you. Otherwise Infinity, Malifaux, Warmachine, Kings of War, are all cheaper and better designed than Age of Sigmar, making them good choices for beginners.

It's literally only that one box that has that ridiculous price, and WHFB wasn't much better.
$100 for five FINECAST horsemen

AoS' main sin is that it's different

>$100 for three horsemen.
Just spent $80, got a giant dinosaur, 8 riders, and twelve soldiers.
So clearly it's not that expensive across the board.

Its main sin is that it killed WHFB. If it was a spin off rule set with some exclusive models it would have been far better received.

Don't forget the Orc box that costs LESS than one of it's component parts in the UK

With a clear conscious I cannot recommend this awful game.

I suggest you look at the alternatives that the WHFB players moved to.

Warhammer Fantasy Battles killed Warhammer Fantasy Battles... 8th edition required so much initial investment to get into in the first place, let alone the competitive asshats that populated the community, that it's a miracle the game hadn't collapsed sooner. And I say this as a WHFB Empire player.

That doesn't mean that they had to axe the setting and replace one bad ruleset with another. They could have followed suit with something similar to the LotR rules, which were legitimately well designed.

Have you ever played it?
Have you ever looked at it other than what the neckbeards say

Pretty much
Game wasn't selling well so GW had to kill it, reboot it, or sell it

>AoS rules are very quick,
And bad for quick and simple game.

>GW killed Warhammer Fantasy Battles...
fix

Yes I have played Scrumhammer with my Empire army and the experience was pretty boring. Everyone basically piled into the middle.

It has potential but it's far from fulfilling it at the moment and in GWs hands I doubt it ever will.

First of all, I'm an AoS llayer myself

>NO
>different?
Yes
>better?
Very skubtastic question
I'd say so as they're simpler, shorter and easier to remember and also free
>recommend to new players?
Definitely, it's much easier to get into than Fantasy was

>It's literally only that one box that has that ridiculous price,
All new cavalry boxes has ridiculous prices and indvidual models too.

The first two questions are purely subjective, although I would tend to say the WHFB wins out. But, that last one:
>Would you recommend it to new players?
Yes. Yes. Yes, yes, a million times yes. It is simple, short, and to the point, yet still allows for strategy. Its minimialist. Its compact. But MOST importantly, its easy as fuck to play.

Let me explain; Prior to AoS, there was no "Beginners" Wargame. If you wanted to play, you'd not only have to buy, build and paint a army of minis, but also dedicate yourself to learning a 100+ page CORE Rulebook, along with a seperate army book of your army. Than you'd have to drag your army around, find another oppenent to play, and hope that he knew the rules as well as you did, less you spend a day and a half trying to get through a single fucking game, and thats not bringing money into the equation. And EVERY. GAME. Suffers this dam problem. They want you buy and read a 50 page rulebook, than assemble a whole army, and tha

With AoS? You have everything core wise on 4 pages, and anyone can download the specific warscrolls for units. In my town, literally no one played Warhammer. Plenty of people collected, but nobody dared play. That was until, Age of Sigmar came out; suddenly, we could help completely new people play a full game within a hour or so. That was mind-fucking-boggling.

So don't listen to people who say that other games are easier to learn; they're just plain wrong. Now, does that mean the AoS ruleset is good? Probably not. Infact, I know that when properly played, Malifaux and Infinity are far more fun. But, on the other hand, that takes far more time, effort and pure dedication to help build a community from scratch.

This is a fact: There is no easier game to learn than AoS

>t; Ward

Yeah, because they dwarf both Blood Knights, Blood Crushers and Chaos Knights in size.

>They want you buy and read a 50 page rulebook, than assemble a whole army, and tha
FFG cheaper and Infinity rules are free. Go back to AoS general.

It's still plastic with bad design which somehow more expensive then metal CB bikers.

AoS is free as well you dolt;
And guess what? Heroclix is just as cheap, if not cheaper. Guess that makes Heroclix better than anything FFG has released, huh?

>bad design
Purely subjective, but regardless, its 3 times the size of a CB biker as well. Its more comparable to a TAG rather than a Biker of all things.

>D-Do you guys hate AoS yet?

Age of sigmar managed to make Savage Orcs have personality and a concept.

That's something WHFB hasn't done for 30 years.

>AoS is free as well you dolt;
Only 4 pages.
>Age of sigmar managed to make Savage Orcs have personality and a concept.
It was WoW, not AoS.
Also
>personality
>not even a full-fledged armynot even

>>Chaos actually suffering a proper defeat for once and retreating to lick its wounds

You mean like they always do since the Great invasion? And all the Everchosen bar Archaon? Suck the biggest dick you fucking faggot.

$0.01

>Savage Orcs
>Not a full fledged army

Bonesplittaz have their own army book, backstory and culture.

It's funny how behind and stupid Anti-AoS retards are.

Slav please. Your trolling has grown stale.

Explain how the Bonespilttas are anything like WoW "Orcs

Thats because AoS only needs 4 pages to create a wargame playable by anyone.

>Bonesplittaz have their own army book, backstory and culture.
So as the fireslayers, yet still they had only 2 infantry units and one monster.
>Explain how the Bonespilttas are anything like WoW "Orcs
They are literally Bonechewer clan rip-off.

Too bad the 4 pages unplayabe withh all these rule holes as endless summoning or 1+ save.

>They are literally Bonechewer clan rip-off.

Wrong. Did you just say this because the WoW clan had the word bone in it? You failed.

>Literal Bonechewer clan ripoff

Bonesplittaz are Tribal Hunters who revere large beasts thinking their spirits reside in the bone sand so craft weapons of power with them.

Bonechewer Clan were cannibals who wore bones.

>1+ Save

Rule of 1 nigga, also, we had 1+ saves in WHFB you literal moron.

Also Bonespilttas don't use Armoured or metal weapons and they are certainly not "Chaos Orcs".

If Anything Bonesplittaz are one of the greatest aspects of Age of Sigmar because it shows Orruks as being more than dumbasses with one note.

Orruks worship Gorkamorka in his guise as "Da greatest Hunta" so Bonesplittaz are actually LESS likely to kill you outright because bigger game is best.

Unless it's a Morboy, but they're crazy fucks.

>Wrong.
Nope the same "barbarians even for other orcs" oh yeah, I forgot about Gul'Dan model.
But you kind of right, not only Bonechewer, Ma'Ghar and Bleeding Howl from WoD too.

>because it shows Orruks as being more than dumbasses with one note.
So it's noble savages, you are right, totally not Warcraft rip-off.

>Rule of 1 nigga,
Doesn't appear in 4 pages.
>also, we had 1+ saves in WHFB you literal moron.
Yeah, but not in all armies.

Nope, they are not "noble savages".

>Nope the same

Prove it.

>noble savages thus Warcraft
This is almost like saying "Orcs thus Tolkien". They're definitely far more savage than noble.

They are not noble at all even.

I've been playing wfb since 3rd edition. The flgs is owned by friends who have played since 4thish. We all play 9th age now with pre end times fluff.

Play what you can find games of in your area. If you are lucky that will be warmahordes/infinity/frostgrave for skirmish, 9th/kings of war for mass battle.

AoS has very high fantasy fluff. I think it's very very bad. If you like super high fantasy then you might like it more than I do.

GW makes technically good models. You decide if you like the new WoW aesthetics vs the old school witcher aesthetics.

>Bunch of Abbo orcs
>MUH WARCRAFT

You Anti-AoS retards REALLY grasp straws don't you

>Orcs less likely to gut you than other brands of orcs
>Must be noble savage

I'm laffing, Bonesplittaz would probably kill you for fun anyway, it's just not their only idea of fun.

>I play 9th Age

Nobody plays 9th Age but the 9th Age faggots.

Also, nobody "Plays with fluff" you fucking retard.

>You decide if you like the new WoW aesthetics vs the old school witcher aesthetics.

Jesus fucking christ did you just find warhammer in 2012?

>is Age of Sigmar fluff as good as Warhammer fantasy?
No, and it's not really a problem of time or development, it's merely that HW don't care about writing good shit anymore

>are the rules different or better?
The rules are shit to the point they don't even fix most of the problems that made the game unfun in the last edition of FB, despite being 4 pages long.

>would you recommend it to new players?
I'd probably recommend Warmahordes before AoS, desu.

Slavposter, just stop.

AoS fag saying fluff is unimportant. I guess you have to when your fluff is so gay.

Old warhammer was low fantasy. A good comparison is Witcher, the aesthetics are very similar. AoS is high fantasy, just like WoW, with over the top armor magic etc. That isn't even an insult, many people prefer high fantasy, he'll even d&d/pathfinder are similarly high fantasy per default.

>Old warhammer was low fantasy

Not really. It was very high fantasy. There some parts in it that made it seem like low, though.

>Fluff is so Gay
>Had more fun with the "Fluff" in decades.

Also Warhammer? Low Fantasy? I'm laffing mate.

Warhammer Fantasy is high fantasy as fuck, it's just gritty.

The Old world was like the Brother's Grimm Fairy Tales.

What the fuck you're talking about faggot ?

I would consider it low when looked at relatively... Not as low as game of thrones but miles lower than Eberron

>Miles lower than Eberron

I'm still laffing mate.

The thing pictured is a rare as fuck event and many citizens would never know lizard men even exist. It's lower fantasy than AoS and just about any other major fantasy setting in tabletop gaming

The guy you're responding to was doing nothing but offering an honest and frank appraisal of the situation. They offered great advice, no bias and even pointed out reasons OP might enjoy AoS.

You respond with vile, vitriol and by generally being a shithead.

I don't know what you play, and I don't care - you're just a perfect example of what an asshole looks like in this community.

It's some AoS meme/delusion that every single anti-AoS post is made by one single (slavish) troll. Pretty sad, actually.

ITT: People who have never played AOS

I personally don't think the fluff is better- it's like a bad DnD campaign in that a lot of "cool" stuff happens, but it's so over the top that nothing really matters.

-The rules are very different. I personally think they are better. People see the simple rules of AOS and think it's a simple game for retards, but in my experience there's a lot of tactics in the game that the meta has not figured out yet. A lot of games are simple in theory but complex in practice. Also warhammer fantasy was fucking boring

yes I would recommend it. The models are gorgeous, and are the cheapest GW models have ever been.

You know they have magic fucking trains in Eberron? Fucking street lights are magical you dumb git. Goddamn robots you limey fuck.

Yeah, the Common citizen nevers see Lizardmen, All they see is normal every day things and nothing ever fantastical or otherworldly.

Because after all, Warhammer fantasy was always realistic and low Fantasy.

>yes I would recommend it. The models are gorgeous, and are the cheapest GW models have ever been.

So blatant lies undermine your whole post.

>and are the cheapest GW models have ever been.
>model prices are up
>people don't care because start collecting boxes stay the same price
I guess the marketing guys were right about one thing

>You can buy a 1900 point Beastclaw army for £135

It's not a meme. He is in this very thread. If you think that Slav isn't real than ask WHFB and THWH general. He has been trolling them for a whole year. He flip flops between supporting AoS and opposing it, whatever suits for him to troll with.

Because the guy is stupid and his Opinion is stupid.

Saying "WoW Aesthetic" when AoS looks more like older renditions of Warhammer than the 6e starting mongoloids doesn't mean shit.

>tfw you can build a 2000 points empire of dust army for the same price
>tfw 140+ minis
GW shills are kinda out of touch.

The average citizen never sees nor believes in shaven, fimir, chaos proper (just the occasional mutant they conflate with beastmen) airships (which are rare and only used for the biggest of deals)

He's taken to trolling Infinitry threads too using AoS as bait.

>140+ minis that look like absolute dogshit

That meme is older than that. It's pretty much an anti-GW post that's attributed to that fucking Slav.

>low fantasy

>Rifles, helicopters, tanks, elves riding dinosaurs, giant magical feet coming from the sky, rats with miniguns, portals to other dimensions, entire civilizations of the undead