MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Black appreciation edtion.

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/poisonous-skittles-1/
q-workshop.com/
q-workshop.com/p/271/3061/black-purple-call-of-cthulhu-dice-set-horror-on-the-orient-express-7--call-of-cthulhu-dice.html
q-workshop.com/japanese-dice
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/s-a-f-e-t-y-d-a-n-c-e-1/
q-workshop.com/p/275/2735/green-black-forest-dice-set-7--forest-dice.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Post 'em!

Ashling is the best commander.

Mardu is for tokens.

Red>Blue>Black>White=Green

I'm building a really obnoxious deck and I need some good-quality tilt accessories (mlp sleeves, lewd anime playmats, etc.). They need to be durable so I don't have to buy replacements for garbage.

"Black begets black" is still my favorite MTG thing (for lack of a better word). It's flavorful, it's the complete opposite of Green enabling all colors and it pains me to hear WotC is slowly stepping away from it.

I just bought my first Commander deck, decided to grab the Ezuri premade and go from there seeing as I aim to play mostly simic/sultai commanders. Can I get away with putting a super expensive card in my deck if it doesn't match up with my commander's style? I've always wanted to get a use out of Mind's Dilation, even if it's janky.

>tfw can't shake the feeling that any Izzet artificer Wizards puts in Kaladesh is going to be awful
I feel like Wizards knows how disgusting UR artifacts would be

Depends. Do you play to win? Don't.
Do you play to have fun and do ridiculous shit? Go ahead.
A lot of my decks aren't aas good as they could be because a lot of the time I throw in cards that I like not really taking functionaility etc. into account.

yeah, it's a shame.
B is one of the strongest colors for mono color decks and it's just so toolboxy and versatile.

Why not just play Grixis artifacts? with b as a third color if will be even more degenerate since it's pretty much the best support color
maybe we'll get a decent izzet artificier in commander 2016 though.

>"Black begets black"
What do you mean? And how/why are they moving away from it?

SOI, Oath and BfZ were pretty lackluster in the black spells department imo, I mean just look at the removal options., most of it is overcosted trash.
Eldritch moon was a bit better and made mono B kind of viable in standard imo.
The creature focus standard has atm is the biggest problem imo.
G and W are dominating because B and also U are not very strong.

Don't want to play Mishra

Definitely the latter, I know it's suboptimal but I love the idea of eventually making a deck where all I do is copy the opponent's stuff. Altered Ego, Progenitor Mimic, Mind's Dilation, and anything else I can find that has a similar feel of either duplicating the opponent's permanent or playing cards from their library.
Speaking of which, are there any obvious commanders/cards for that kind of janky playstyle? I was thinking of trying to transition into that once I get the hang of Ezuri.

Wrexial, Thada Adel, Mishra, UW Daxos, kind of Mimeoplasm

Then play a different grixis commander? What is the problem here?

Veeky Forums I want to build a deck around this guy. I think hes unique because hes all about killing the other players with kindness. Its just alot of the group hug cards that Ive looked up and searched for effect all players. For the deck I want to build I want to do something different in the sense that I can choose who I help and who I get to bully. What are some good cards to build around this guy?

I assume they mean the Black subtheme where Black rewards you for only playing Black. Usually it's done through cards like Nightmare that care about Swamps, or through the iconic BBB costs. The premier card for this kind of attitude would probably be Phyrexian Obliterator.

Hmm, probably mimeoplasm seeing as I already have a progenitor mimic and an altered ego I'd like to use. I'll give it some thought.

>Phyrexian Obliterator
Why is this $25? I've literally never seen it played.

Not the same guy but an Izzet commander that cares about artifacts would just be perfect. Mishra is kind of gimmicky

Casuals genuinely believe it is one of the most powerful creatures ever printed.

>Black appreciation
Is the Skythirix infect deck any good? I built it on Cockatrice and want to move it to paper.

Mythic with only one print run and massive casual appeal

Rune-Scarred Demon is probably my favorite MTG card. Not only does it have great utility but it has kick ass art. Like the best fucking srt.

6/6 flyer that tutors? Hell yeah motherfucker

It's certainly fun. You have the power to kill any random player lightning fast. It makes for very unusual games and all sorts of shaky political maneuvering.

user black has been in a very good position in standard for the last year. OGW provided black control decks with Kalitas and Grasp of Darkness, which were and still are Lynch pins of the black control decks that are in standard. Black has also had access to languish since origins, the appearance of WW into the meta and the disappearance of siege rhino from the standard pool has allowed these almost mono black control decks to put up very good numbers on both the WOTC and SC circuits.
TL;Dr black has been stronk for quite a bit, mtg players just like to meme about the Gw boogeyman

The talk about Slobad from last thread makes me want to resurrect my Daretti deck with him at the helm. I like the sound of a general whose entire game plan is OH SHIT GOTTA SAVE THESE ROCKS

While I hate that every deck I play puts a target on my back (Narset, Jhoira, Elfball), I can't deny that it feels good to be in control of the table and force the other players to work with each other to stop me. I feel like Skythirix will only add to that. Anyone else know this feel?

So I wanna build a new Goblin deck. I tried Krenko and I instantly always had a huge target on my forehead with him. I'm thinking one of the Worts this time around. Question is, do I go with B/R or G/R? With Black I can get more draw power and control. With Green I can swarm more and make my small dudes into bigger beat sticks. Either way, I'm still gonna play the same combos as was in Krenko.

I have managed multiple times a turn 2 kill, and afterwards 1 kill per turn, complete annihilation at turn 4, if someone hasn't managed to drop me until that point

I'd go BR with Grenzo but that's just me

Play Squee and go for dat value

When it comes to Skittles, I've found that typically the one card players will be most scared of is Phyrexian Crusader. Nothing will get people to make rash decisions quite like seeing him hit the table.

Here's my current Skithiryx list. Lake of the Dead is way better than I thought; I just wish I could afford Crucible for recursion.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/poisonous-skittles-1/

Unspeakable Symbol is probably the most powerful enchantment for monoblack infect, but people underestimate it every time. I might be playing with complete retards, but they have lost because of it over and over, but they never learn from it, they're more scared of specific creatures, never apparently thinking that why did they die first time I attacked with like Plague Stinger or that one Plague Myr.

Then play a different grixis commander? What is the problem here?

>they die first time I attacked with like Plague Stinger or that one Plague Myr.
but how? Don't you need 15 poison counters in edh to lose the game? And to give Plague Stinger 14 +1/+1 counter you have to pay 3 * 14 = 42 life. Or are you implying that you already poisoned your opponents?

It's 10 for people who don't need pussy houserules.

EDH is 10 poison counters breh

it is? I only find 15 as official rules. Got any link?

Reaper is frankly overcosted. I'd personally rather have Plague Stinger.

I tended towards Voltron style equipment strats when I was playing Skithiryx and the allstars of the deck were Grafted Wargear, Nightmare Lash and Lashwrithe. Being able to play Skithiryx into a bunch of "free" equipment makes for extremely easy kills. Hero's Blade is also an option, for the same reasons.

A Plague Stinger with +5/+5 from a Nightmare Lash is pretty fun.

Correction: The info I had was talking about Two-headed Giant which got an extra poison ruling, so 10 is the official number. Didn't know that but now I do!

Where are these "official rules" you're finding? As for 10, go read the reminder text on infect.

>903.11. The Commander variant includes the following specification for winning and losing the game. All other rules for ending the game also apply. (See rule 104.)

>903.11a A player that’s been dealt 21 or more combat damage by the same commander over the course of the game loses the game. (This is a state-based action. See rule 704.)

So, from that "See rule 104" we get to:

>104.3d If a player has ten or more poison counters, he or she loses the game the next time a player would receive priority. (This is a state-based action. See rule 704.)

Nowhere in the Comprehensive Rules does it ever say it ignores, modifies or replaces rule 104.3d. 15 Poison is a house rule for babies.

Already found my mistake, see But thanks nevertheless!

Already found my mistake, see But thanks nevertheless!

A few playgroups have a faggy 15 infect rule, so that's what we assumed. Glad yours isn't that shit.

are there any cards i could use to color rasputin's mana?

Wew

Don't forget, a clone style deck falls flat if the opponent goes wide with Tokens or just doesn't play anything you can realistically copy for value. Make sure to have a couple targets in your deck just in case for this kind of thing. Tutor creatures and super value beatsticks like blightsteel and rune scarred are my go to creatures usually.

don't be too quick to judge my playgroup - we just don't have any infect edh-players so the question never popped up

Seems like this is it in W/U.

Prismatic Prism, or whatever the fuck it's called.

Pentad Prism won't work, since it uses Sunburst.

I guess you could use effects like Prismatic Lens or Prophetic Prism if you were really desperate, but they're basically shitty mana rocks more than they're filters.

The thing with infect is that it's pretty underpowered, the creatures are pretty vanilla and overcosted. Only way for it to work is to have 10 counters, since nerfing it would make it pretty useless. It's still pretty hard to keep up with it and I'm packing removal.

Most places house rule it to 15 or 20 to mirror the increase in life

I don't know about "most places". Every group I've played with has left it the same.

I meat those.

>shitty mana rocks
They don't generate mana, therefore they're filters.

That's fucking cancer.

Every playgroup i've played with changes it

Get That Which Is Forbidden sleeves, a Force of Will playmat, and if you can, carry your deck around in a Yugioh tin.

As for dice, go buy one of those stupid Cthulhu dice things; not necessarily the Cthulhu ones, but the stupidly stylized ones that you have to be 2 inches from to actually read.

Every playgroup you've played with are babies.

There's like... three times you ever actually have to worry about Infect in EDH: Grafted Exoskeleton on a commander like Nekusar/Ruric Thar/Kaervek; Triumph of the Hordes as a slightly better Overrun; and Skittles as a Commander.

For the damage commanders, upping the total to 15 only slows down their kill by like, a turn at the most. For Triumph, it probably doesn't even stop them at all. For Skittles, it does slow it down a bit, but... eh.

Infect 'feels' bad because you can't make it go away, and it takes a fraction of what it takes to kill you with damage, but outside cheesy shit like Exoskeleton and Triumph, most Infect cards are laughably, unplayably bad.

I have, and love, a clone-centric deck. The biggest problem with it is that eventually people get wise to it and just beat you to death with mediocre creatures that give them more value than you get.

Who's the most fun Grixis commander? I've been looking into them.

Sedris: Probably my favorite. There's already a deck with him at my store, but the player shows up infrequently and the deck just uses Sedris to get access to the Grixis colors and doesn't use him well.

Jeleva: Seems fun but very narrowly focused.

Thraximundar: I like the look of him but he seems like he'd work as well in Sedris' 99.

Bolas: Cool but incredibly high CMC?

Tell then how cancerous they are and/or laugh at them for playing pillowfort.

I do actually have a YGO tin. Do you have a link to the dice and sleeves?

>using a commander just for shard colors
>not an OG elder dragon

I know, right? He often forgets to even cast Sedris.

Well, depends on how you want to build. Sedris could be used a few different ways- you could build a Zombie-centric deck, or one with a huge reanimation theme in general, you could use it as a control deck that gets double duty out of big threats.

Jeleva is a spellslinging deck that wants to get value out of Jeleva, and most people here will recommend you build it as a Doomsday deck.

Thrax can be brutal- there's a guy in my group who plays a Thrax deck as basically hard control (lots of spot removal, counters, edicts, a few wraths, shit like that) and the wincon is "Throw Thrax at an empty board, kill in 3 swings". It can be tough.

Not for the sleeves, but shit like this
q-workshop.com/

Wait, wouldn't no playmat and no sleeves be better?

Nah, that just makes you look like a new or casual player, and you have to either play ignorant or intentionally antagonize people by damaging your own cards.

Going with the tilty mat/sleeves protects your stuff for down the line, while also letting you tilt people without changing anything about how you act.

Should I double sleeve with the anime style oversleeves, but no perfect fits?

Nah- the "character guard" sleeves are usually just clear with an 'edge' design, and I don't think they'd actually tilt anyone. There's 2 guys in my group who use them; one uses them to keep his sleeves intact longer (it's got art from his favorite card, and he only has so many packs of them to fall back on), and the other one has monstrous hands and says that it makes them a little easier to hold, and he finds it easier to double sleeve THAT way than double sleeving with perfect fits.

q-workshop.com/p/271/3061/black-purple-call-of-cthulhu-dice-set-horror-on-the-orient-express-7--call-of-cthulhu-dice.html
Dice like these? They seem like the hardest to read.

Never mind, it's these. q-workshop.com/japanese-dice

Alright gA, I'll finally bite. Post your list for Safety Dance - I need to use my Pro Tour Treyvon

Yeah, or the ones that the face of the dice is dominated by some big goofy fucking design, and then way down in the corner in tiny font is the actual number.

For extra troll, buy two or three sets and mix them up, or change which set you use every 2 or 3 weeks so people can't get used to which stupid art is which number.

I warn you, it's anathema to these threads.

It's superfriends pillowfort enchantress

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/s-a-f-e-t-y-d-a-n-c-e-1/

I'll be back in an hour or two to keep working on this. Check these out. q-workshop.com/p/275/2735/green-black-forest-dice-set-7--forest-dice.html

>it's a $2.6k pillowfort deck
I would reee but Bant is such an aesthetically pleasing color combination.

I mean, to be fair that's mostly stuff I've accrued playing for 12+ years. I didn't go out and buy the deck, I've just picked up duals here and there, traded for Expeditions, cashed in judge comp for foils, etc.

>mostly stuff I've accrued playing for 12+ years
I wish I had gotten into Magic earlier so I could have grabbed the good shit when it was still relatively cheap

Yeah, sometimes it can get weird. When I bought my house I got a rider for my Magic collection on the insurance, and part of that required me to submit an itemized list of the high-value stuff, so I decided to punch in all my EDH decks and my rare binders into Deckbox. There were more than a few cards that when I punched them in and the price came up, my reaction was "Since fucking when?!"

Doomsday definitely doesn't look that fun, or at least not for my opponents after a few games.

Quick, what are some fun and cost effective fatties in black or red? I'm talking desecration demon levels of jank, preferably deeper cuts as I have most of the stuff dating back to RtR.

To each their own. Doomsday combo isn't my thing either, but some people like it.

So I'd say Thrax lends itself better to hard control, where the idea is to keep everyone reeling and then stick and protect Thrax while you start two and three shotting motherfuckers.

Jeleva can be played non-combo, just focused on protecting her and spamming huge spells, which is pretty much pure Battlecruiser Magic

Sedris would be a good reanimation/Zombie centric commander. Pick whichever seems fun

But how does it win?

How long has Tabernacle been a $1000 card? My friend owns one and god damn that thing is insanely good

I'll look closer at Thrax. Thanks for the help.

Technically, but since they cost comparatively to several actual colored mana producing rocks, they're functionally shitty mana rocks more than filters like or Bog Initiate.

>That Which Is Forbidden sleeves

What?

It was 400 last year, probably got bought out by some jew

The way I see it, 2-3k decks are fine as long as your opponents are also playing in the same power level, I'm sure gA's meta is pretty powerful, I wish I had a higher powered EDH group to play with.

Also, I crashed hard after posting last thread, to clarify for the folks who pointed out that I can't sac more than one land per turn, I sacced one per turn and only had 2-3 if memory serves so they were gone before my next turn.

Have you tried Lord of Tresserhorn and Marchesa yet?

I'm experimenting with a Bolas ping deck. It's janky.

Existential despair.

Nah, usually Angels.

ponies