Scenes from a hat

Hello and welcome back to Veeky Forums where everything is made up and the points don't matter, just like "excuse me" threads.

Now for everyones favourite game : scenes from a hat!

First up : "Rejected ideas for alternatives to using dice"

Don't worry, we'll just go with what "feels" narratively right, I've done this countless times before!

Picking outcomes from a hat.

Rock-Paper-Scissors with the DM to see what happens.

"Okay, if we open the box and the cat is dead, you succeed. If it's alive, you fail."

Tossing live honey badgers.

Goddammit, Schrödinger.

Draw from this deck of cards and tell me what it is and I'll tell you if you hit or not. I've got a table here for each outcome

Everyone has there own deck of playing cards that they constantly change cards in and out of.

*continues stabbing shonen final burst's corpse*

Flipping a coin; tails PC loses, heads DM wins.

My dick

Using starting contests with GM to decide socials and thumb war to decide combat.

Drinking contests.

"I have a notepad up on my computer with ten thousand lines of either yes or no written on it. We start at the top and go down."

We use a random number generator based on the decomposition of Uranium and the typing of a monkey on a mechanical keyboard to determine outcomes.

Also, whenever the monkey types in a legit word with a total ammount of letters greater than 2 but lower than 4, it is an automatic success or failure depending on the nature of the word.

Remember, we need to roll in order to blink and breath in this setting.

For every time we'd throw a die, we play a game of Hearthstone.

All skill checks are decided through a game of Mornington Crescent.

>"I have a notepad up on my computer with ten thousand lines of either yes or no written on it. We start at the top and go down."

What happens when we reach the end of the list?

Can you memorise ten thousand outcomes?
Besides, I'll just switch it out between sessions.

"I swing at the Orc with my Greatsword"
"Swinging at the Orc with a Greatsword... Well let's see how that works out for you! We asked 100 people one one of America's beautiful shopping malls..."

The universe halts, as there is no longer any success to moving. Time stops, as it's actions can no longer resolve. Everything is simultaneously existent and nonexistent, as reality cannot resolve it's "continue existing" check.

>reality cannot resolve it's "continue existing" check

So basically what you're telling me is that we need to finish the campaign without making more than 10,000 rolls?

yes. This is starting to sound just a bit familiar.
>Hero 10,000 campaign starts when?

>Whoever elicits the strongest "feels" wins the contest.

>Creepypasta
Whoever creeps out the group the most wins.

>limits number of rolls
>inform players as to the number of rolls they have
>players are less inclined to make stupid rolls because they know they'll need them to beat the BBEG

I don't see the downside

>Auction

So pretty much most CCG's.

Player's stats are randomized before each roll, and their highest stat minus half the median stat plus however many push ups they can do in ten seconds is their roll number

I play chess at a tournament level. Also, I am a geek with no life, as such i possess nothing but trivial knowledge.

imagine the 10,000th roll doing 1 below the damage needed to kill BBEG

Holy fuck I need to buy a Hand Tally Counter for my table

well, maybe you should have just accepted the shopkeep's offer of 5 gold for that potion instead of trying to haggle!

Coin flip.

Everything is coin flip.

>reality cannot resolve its "continue existing" check
is... is your world an NPC, user?
because that's fucking sick

My hat of d02 know no limit.

>Enemies that don't damage hp, they attack rolls
>Party deaths take rolls to resurrect them
>devil deals that use rolls as currency
>Turns as an MP system
think of the unlimited potential.
Technically speaking, even walking is a roll required in many systems. It's just that it's normally DC0 so you really don't need to roll it unless weird circumstances arise. I assume that "Continue existing" is a roll that everyone has to make that's got a dc of -(ridiculous number). Of course, those rolls don't eat your remaining rolls.

That kind of tradeoff would be fun to explore
>do we declare perception checks and lose attack rolls to that, or risk getting ambushed and losing more rolls in the ensuing fight?
>do we search for hidden treasure (costs 1 roll per player) and possibly get better equipment, or keep going and save the roll?
>autoattacking the monster to death would be efficient in terms of resources, but costs a lot of rolls. We could instead consume a limited-use power or item to save up our rolls

Oh God, now I have to add in a system that allows for frozen time like Bravely Default's Bravely Second.
>'Rolls' are a matter of time, you get one every turn, wasting it not recommended
>Resting takes rolls
>Eating takes rolls
>Downtime takes rolls
>Seducing the barmaid takes rolls
>Class powers could be based around recovering rolls on certain actions or results
>Special powers can be used but cost rolls to activate
>You can save a certain amount of rolls for a time of need
The possibilities are endless, man.

The real question is do you tell the players before or after character creation that the game ends in 10,000 rolls?

>that guy who rolled a two-weapon attack-spammer
oh boy

Probably before.
Also relevant.

Remove a tile from the Jenga tower

OH WAIT

Definitely before, maybe make concessions to said player too.

Kek

a couple decks of cards shuffled together
encourage card counting

is someone screencapping this or are we just letting it go into archive?

An alternate setting is that the players are all clockwork knights in a clockwork world. Everyone, even the NPCs have a limited number of ticks(rolls) before their mechanisms wind down. Of course nobody is aware of how much wind they truly have left so sometimes people just stop dead in the middle of the street and everyone takes a moment to mourn their passing.

The only time anything gets winded up is when the great factories churn out a new citizen and it's the societies great goal to find a method to wind people back up. Maybe there are even some who take this too far.

what game?

it'd be interesting to see if anyone goes balls deep into making a character with such high diplomacy that they can talk their way out of fights to save rolls

not enough posts brainstorming the idea to make it worth sending it to suptg yet, I think.

So in this hypothetical 10,000 Rolls system, what happens if/when all rolls are used up and the party hasn't accomplished what they set out to do?

Do they just "game over"? Do they get "reset", and if so do they retain any memories/gear they had on them? Is there a cost to each reset?

I'm also assuming rolls the DM makes against the party don't count against the 10,000.

Question: In a party of 5, do they have 10,000 between them or 2000 each?

Aroused.

kinda like Ocarina of Time? that could work, turns it into an excercise in speed running. Doing it again and again to get it within the time limit

I don't think a full campaign with 10 000 roll would be fun (because it'd either end up with tons of roll left or just fall way too short unless you calculate like crazy)
But some sort of one-off scenario with only 100 roll could be pretty fun (and not 100 each, 100 for the whole party, for maximum fun)

not OoT, Majora's Mask, my bad

to clarify: should it be possible for one player to start hogging rolls, or should it be that one player can run out of time before the others.

I mean, if we went with then it'd simply be a case of saying "your character stops, your time is up" and everyone else carries on around you

I disagree.
For a 10k roll game, just keep going with adventure after adventure until they run out
How far can they go?

For a 100 roll game, make an elaborate, self-contained adventure that the players have to do over until they win in only 100 rolls.

>n a party of 5, do they have 10,000 between them or 2000 each?

I'd want to make it a party resource, just so that one guy doesn't max out his rolls and have to sit out the game.

>full campaign
>roll left
I'll add that full campaigns never stop, bro
Never

This has potential.

>Party wakes up in their beds the morning their adventure first started. They retain their memories of what happened.
>Knowing full well what awaits them, they make their way to the BBEG, fully aware of everything up to then.
>Something happens and they fail, waking up again.
>They try again, but something's wrong. There seem to be roadblocks popping up that didn't happen the last two loops.
>A certain backroad they took is now heavily guarded, an important contact they needed to meet is dead, an important tomb they need to loot an artifact from is already cleaned out, etc.
>It turns out the BBEG is also retaining his memories of previous loops.
>He's trying to find a way to stop the loops, not realizing they're tied directly to the party's victory over him.

>is someone screencapping this or are we just letting it go into archive?

I think that this is worthy of it's own thread.

Done. This is now my new setting.
>People can spend 'ticks' to rewind another person's mechanisms: The exchange is two to one, making it unfeasible to most people, but wise clockwork kings have loyal servants who sacrifice themselves to keep their king in shape.
>The king, not realizing it because the number of ticks varies greatly between people and having been told he was projected to last an extremely long time, eventually finds out
>Heartbroken by all the stopped comrades who have pushed him forwards, he immediately begins research on the nature of the machine that creates clockworks, hoping to resurrect his dead allies who have given themselves for him
It's funny, because my LGS is literally Clockwork Games.

so when does work on Multivac start?

And each time he becomes increasingly desperate until eventually (if the party hasn't succeeded) they go back into the loop to find no one around, no items about, with the BBEG looming over the players demanding they end the loop, not knowing what he's asking

bro, don't get so wound up over this

Done

>they slowly come to realize that the loops will never end as long as the conflict between them is going.
>Extradimensional entities keep looping them over and over again, enjoying the journey and conflict that keeps happening
>They only remember this time because they fucked something up during the ""first"" loop.

I don't think there's anything grinding his gears, user.

So Prince Valiant.

Repostan because I'm not sure which thread we're in.
Okay, so, I just came up with another possible way to interpret 'rolls'.
Let's say that a 'roll' is an actual roll, and when you decide to take action, you take a number of dice out of the 10k to succeed. Since 'clockwork' was a theme, skills could have 'gears' that cause them to succeed on a particular number or higher. For example, a Gear 9 skill would succeed on a roll of 9 or 10 on a 1d10.
Of course, there would be a limit to how many rolls you could draw from the pool, but it would still be interesting.
It would also drive (heh) certain people to specialize and prioritize who does what when.
Clockwork Knights would be a setting, 10k Hero the system.

>This eventually culminates in a desperate alliance to break the loop by finding a way to kill these extradimensional beings

>fucked something up

wouldn't it be crueler to have it be intentional?
"They WANT us to remember! They want to see if we'll crack! If we'll give up and accept the end will never come! I do not know how many times I must defeat you curs before they are satisfied, but my beloved waits and I will not be denied!"

right now it seems

Oh, the other thread's gone.

So to summarize so far:
>The party starts with 10k rolls at the start of the adventure, as a pooled resource between the party
>If the party is unsuccessful, the adventure starts from the beginning
>Since players (and so PCs, because fuck player/PC separation) now know what is going to happen, BBEGs retain knowledge in a similar way, turning a simple time trial into a game of outwitting the BBEG with move and countermove
>The adventure only ends when the BBEG is slain/the goal is completed (if no BBEG is present)

CLOCKWORK
This setting, by necessity changes the formula
>instead of a shared pooled resource, all players have their own roll-pools that work independently of one another
>rolls can be transferred from one PC to another at a rate of 2:1
>When a PC's timer runs out, they are Stopped, and must either be rewound or left behind
Is there anything I'm missing?

I'd say BBEG retaining his memories is optional.

Maybe once you'd done the system once without a memory-keeping BBEG to get the players used to the time loop mechanics.

Then throw in a BBEG who keeps his memories to add a challenge to it.

noted

It's called Dread, it's a horror game based on horror movies loosely. You pull to do stuff, and if you topple the the tower you're the monster's next victim. I'd suggest it.

>The adventure only ends when the BBEG is slain/the goal is completed (if no BBEG is present)
nonono, it should be goal completed

and there can be BBEG stopping you from reaching your goal, or with a separate goal you also need to prevent

I'm just saying both goal & BBEG, not if the other is missing

>if no BBEG is present

This could be an interesting one.
For an extreme example

>a meteor is coming down, you have to stop it
>through hard work, you discover a clue to a magic strong enough to stop a meteor, and with a few knowledge rolls narrow down it's location
>however, you're now down to your last few rolls
>use them up quickly to force a reset before you die, maybe one with an intelligence roll to make sure you've memorized everything you need to know about the magic
>wake up at the start of the loop, now armed with the knowledge of where the meteor stopping magic can be found and can head straight there

Honestly, could have an interesting thing there, where players take advantage of the time looping, maybe using it to open a safe they couldn't have known the combination to at that time, or finding a killer they couldn't have know the identity of before then.

Underrated

if time loops after 10,000 rolls, doesn't that remove the tension? Why worry about using up rolls if you're in a groundhog's day scenario?

once the loop happens, you're right back where you started. You have knowledge of what's going to happen and know what to do, but you still have to start all over again.

Makes sense, poor phrasing kills

I feel like this specific example would use shorter loops, maybe 1000 or even 500, so you could only accomplish one task each loop
e.g. loop 1: Head to temple, find you need an incantation that a man in the next city knows to get in. Loop 2: Go to City, find man, learn incantation. Loop 3, go to temple, go inside, find coordinates to the magic item that saves the world. Loop 4: go there, etc.

"Magical realms" that include really mundane fetishes.

Damn it, they only sell stockings and heels here, no fuking boots

A realm where reproduction can only occur through inserting a man's penis into a woman's vagina.

"hmm, it seems this cute dragon-girl will only be defeated by having loving, consensual intercourse in the missionary position but occasionally placing a hand gently on her throat"

>"What do you mean we all have to hold hands for the spell to work?"
>"Out of character, too?"

>spoiler

MODDDDSSSS

But, iħ·∂Ψ/∂t = ĤΨ.

A witch. Burn him!

"Dude, you're new, so I've got to warn you about this campaign… the DM's fetish is encounters that scale appropriately to dungeon-level depth, and commensurate treasure hoards."

Great now you guys make me want a Tragedy Looper RPG...

"Welcome to the Sultry Shadow, where all your carnal needs are met within a dark, hard to see in, room.

that's easy, slutty maidens half nekkid waiting to be sacrificed to a dragon.

I prefer "10k Hero" name. It's less obvious and spotlight a core concept of the system.