Malifaux General - AAAAAAAAAAND TWWWWWIIIIIIIIINS edition

Books;
mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives.
New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules:
themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114900-gaining-grounds-2016/

Thread topics:
>starting box(s) and individual models to get new players into the game on the cheap

>best guesses on what will happen during the newly announced september event wyrd-games.net/news/2016/8/25/divergent-paths-event

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eowPka21BNc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This.

Agreed. I love wyrd, and their models are pretty great looking when assembled, but they really need to work on how things fit together.

Having tiny pieces like Wong's mustache be a separate piece is terrible.

>>starting box(s) and individual models to get new players into the game on the cheap
Most of the starting boxes are cheap and a great start. Might be good to point out the ones a that don't do a great job, or have models you're unlikely to use later.

It's also probably not a bad idea to call out boxes that give models you'll use a lot of. I'll start running through the list and see what I can see on both sides.

>starting box(s) and individual models to get new players into the game on the cheap
Starter box and Sonnia for Guild or Lilith for Neverborn.

>best guesses on what will happen during the newly announced september event
I get to lead the Guild to another glorious victory.

I just picked this game up and is my first skirmish tabletop. I bought the Ulix Starter Crew along with a box of Piglets and a box of Slop Haulers. Anything else I should look at picking up? I was eyeing Gracie and the Sow but wasn't sure what else.

Gracie and the Sow are great.
Lenny is a big one too, since he hands out Rams, he can up the damage output of anything with ram tiggers, like Gracie.

More piglets is probably a good idea. Ulix (and to a lesser degree Lenny) can summon them by the handful.

Pigapult

Alright, starting by faction. I'll note this isn't a list of masters that are good and bad in general, these are ones that are good or bad to buy for a first time player.

Guild:
Good (works well, has models that are useful across the faction)
-Perdita (Great synergy, models useful in any guild list, make your opponents hate you)
-Sonnia (Works well together, you may use the occasional witchling in other lists)
-Lady J (Works well together, death marshals are solid minions)

Bad (Doesn't work well, has models that will be rarely used)
-McMourning (While the box works well, you can't use most of the models outside of lists with him in the Guild)
-Lucius (one of the weakest masters in the game, models are okay I guess)

Ressers:
Good-
-McMourning (Good synergy and models you'll use in a huge number of Resser lists)
-Seamus (Easy to pick up, models you'll use in a huge number of Resser lists)

Bad-
-Tara (Models that can only be used with her, complex master)
-Yan Lo (Few models you'll use outside of him, complex master)
-Nicodem (Relies heavily on having a large pool of models to play effectively)
-Molly (Relies heavily on having a large pool of models to play effectively)
-Kirai (Relies heavily on having a large pool of models to play effectively, not actually playable in box v box games)

cont.

a warpig and merris probably will give you the most milage

Molly only relies on having punk zombies.

Not sure how I feel about the pigapult.
The damage is great, but you're sacing a 4pt model to a 9pt model to get a couple shots off.

The repositioning is pretty great, but Lenny does a good job of that too (10"+2-3 walks vs 24" inches and paralyze)

I'll add Nellie and McCabe to the good. They're a bit more complex, based on their supportive nature, but their boxes are useful and they work just fine with a few additions (Peacekeeper and austringers, done)

Yeah, she want's less stuff then Nico does.
But to play optimally, you should have quite a few models, so you'll have options.

Looks good so far.

I should note that I'm not including the new masters because I know very little about them.

Neverborn:
I don't know anything about them, nobody here plays them.

Arcanists
Good
-Ramos (Powerful master, Howard and Joss can be put in any Arcanist list)
-Colette (Powerful master, though a bit complex, models can be used in most lists)
-Rasputina (Great beginner master, though you won't use many of her models for other arcanist lists)

Bad
-Marcus (Powerful master but you will use almost nothing from here in non-marcus lists)
-Ironsides (Very complex master, though the minions are alright)

Outcasts
Good
-Von Schill (Straightforward master, models can be used in a wide variety of lists)
-Viktoria of Ashes (Straightforward master, models can be used in a wide variety of lists)

Bad
-Hamelin, Jack Daw, Leveticus (Complex master, models primarily used only with boxed master)

Starting with Molly, you can do well with her crew box, Seamus, punks, Hanged, and drowned. It's not everything, but it's a good start and not too hard on the wallet.

Absolutely, but my list was written from the perspective of "A new player wants to buy one box to see what they like, what box should that be". In that situation, Molly would be a really, really bad choice.

If you include the new masters, I'd say Reva is a good start. The models are nifty and she seems to have a lot of synergies with other resser models.

I'd probably still not recommend it. If you pick up McMourning and Seamus (which both stand alone) you'll have most of the bit's you'd want.

The last two I am really not very familiar with, sadly, so someone else can take a look at Gremlins, TT, and Neverborn and do a writeup for potential new players.

Thanks for the recommendations. Nice to see I had the basic idea down right then for Ulix 'n Pigs.

Does anyone know some good sites for 10T battle reports?

Some models have such bad scale that it's off-putting.
Like the samurai dudes with gatling guns. the kneeling one not the same scale as the others.

Then there's a dude from the rail crew i think, or the ten thunders starter with an arm that reaches down to his ankle.

Are there any more fucked up sculpts like this or are these the only culprits?

Didn't know there was already a new thread
You misunderstand, others can grant him the second movement 0.
I'm not playing him in ressers, but why underwhelmed? I think you have to see him in action to really appreciate all he offers.

Ten Thunders
Good
-Lynch (Gives a lot of room for error, great crew, incredibly strong)
-Misaki (Doesn't require synergy, good crew, really straightforward)
-Mei Feng (Great crew, versatile master, straightforward)

Bad
-McCabe (Okay crew, needs lots of extras, medium difficulty)
-Shenlong (Great Henchman, worthless minions, complex)
-Yan Lo (Minions can't be used with other TT masters, very complex)
-Brewmaster (Crew can't be used with other TT masters, very complex)

Gremlins:
Good
_Somer (Powerful and versitile master, plays well right out of the box will need many more models if you want to run him as a horde summoner Bayou Gremlins and Lenny are must haves in a lot of lists)
-Ophelia (Great Beginner master, Francois and the other kin are good in other lists)
-Zipp (Bit more complex control/scheme master, good box)

Okay
-Brewmaster (Complex master, models aren't often used in other lists.)
-Mah (Straight forward master, Bayou Bushwhackers don't see a lot of play)
-Wong (Slightly more complex master, lightning bugs don't see a lot of play)

Who are you running him with?

Mostly in Ressers you can get better beaters or movement shenanigans for the same points. He's not particularly durable for a 13 point model, especially since his healing is capped at 4.

The only real use I can see, is with Nico for a more aggressive version of Mortimer. At 13 points (the same as Mort with Corpse Bloat and Shovel) he can potentially drop 1 corpse a turn up field as instead of 2 a turn back field.

Hoffman?

are the viktorias a good starting crew? its what my friend is most interested in, how to expand to have a decent model pool for 50ss games?

How does Lord Chompy Bits work?

Hoffman's in between. He could work as a starter master, but he's not the best at it. I was only really listing the standout boxes for a new player, good or bad, not the ones that are kind of in the middle.

The Viks are mobile buzzsaws. They cut a bloody swathe through enemies and are one of the more lethal close combat box sets. Total glass cannons though, so there's some finesse needed to get them close and do their business. They're great for assassination missions, and their box set comes with Ronin which are solid melee beatsticks that go well in a number of Outcast lists. Taelor is also just a great overall model, and she can put some serious hurt on Arcanist and Rezzers.

Overall they're a good starting crew, mostly because they're very straightforward: get in close and smash their faces in. If your friend wants to expand, he can't go wrong with a Friekorps Librarian for some healing and magical back-up. The Strongarm Suit brings some more melee to the list, and the Trapper adds some much-needed range to a list lacking in it. Vanessa is a Sister, which means any abilities that the Viks have will affect her too, and she fulfills much the same role as the Librarian (but with better tricks).

It's a good thing lenny can make ammo in every list and ulix and sow can just pump it out.

Also stuffed piglets are only cost two and are better than piglets for ammo

McCabe doesn't really need that much. A big beater (Izamu) and austringers/snipers, plus obligatory hounds and you're golden.

Pretty self-contained, just needs Ryle/Peacekeeper/Ramos box to be complete. Hardest part is learning activation order. Armor crews can also be matchup reliant.

Pretty much this. I'm not big on the strong arm suit. I think I'd pick up Killjoy and Johan first. Killjoy is another big threat/beater. Johan hits above his weight class and being able to remove conditions is amazing against some crews.

>Also stuffed piglets are only cost two and are better than piglets for ammo
True. Harder to make on the fly though.

I think I might try it more with Ophelia. She can Oooh a girl! it forward for mobile terrain.

Neverborn
>Good
Lilith (easy to learn, lots of depth, good models)

Lynch (easy to learn, crazy damage potential, good models)

Zoraida (good models, deep hiring pool, fairly straightforward with lots of fun tricks)

Titania (self contained crew, maybe a little harder to learn)

Maybe
Collodi (tricky to learn, needs a lot of models to play well)

Pandora (crew works well enough, but can be an NPE to learn with and against)

Bad
Lucius (no in-faction models in the box, tricky to learn, weakest master in the game)

Dreamer (lots of summons, only about 15SS out of the box)

Thank you guys for the responses I'm thinking about getting the Hoffman box or the somer box. With the Hoffman box I'd also pick up Ryle, a warden and the emissary. With the somer box I'd pick up Sammy, burt and Grace.

I think that Mei Feng needs more for her crew than McCabe does. Overall I think that these lists are very helpful, even for someone who already plays the game considering which box to pick up next.

>Sammy, burt and Grace.
Good choices. Sammy can run summoning duty.
Burt and Gracie get nuts with rams from Lenny or Somer.

Don't forget Slop Haulers, if you don't have them already.

Best dedicated healers in the game.

The emissary is great with Hoffman. It also opens you up to add just about anything to his crew since he can make the emissary bury something and then make it use the buried model's actions. Shenanigans forever.

Big things for Hoffman are also the Ramos box for Howard, Joss, and a spider swarm as well as metal gamin to make his casting virtually automatic.

For Som'er, you're gonna want more bayous and slop haulers. Burt, Gracie, and Sammy are good, as well.

So I know for Hoffman some of his upgrades that would be really needed would be the MS&U and what else? For somer with what I'd be getting plus the slop haulers what would be good for somer other than the kin upgrade?

Sorry meant family tree upgrade

Swamp Gas is good. Especially with Skeeters.
Dirty Cheater is good too.
The summoning upgrade will probably go on Sammy so he can stick in the backfield and summon.

how does guild lucius compare to neverborn? i realize he's terrible (i confess to not knowing enough about the game yet) but he looks cool so i'm gonna play him a bit. being able to paralyze minions because they failed a wp check sucks but i could use westrels to pass/ignore that.

General consensus is he plays like Zorida but worse.
They just added a minon that's right up his ally, it's a 9 soulsstone beater that auto passes horror tests instead of being immune to them.

But they also just released a new master with a ranged attack that a built in trigger that lets a friendly model get a 1 mi action swing in, or potentially push a model 5inches towards a friendly model who then gets a swing in. So it looks like she'll be doing Lucius' role better, with a bigger bag of tricks.

> Lighting bugs don't see a lot of play.

Wut.

Guild Lucius has the lovely new Witchling Thralls to help him out, plus the terracotta soldiers working with everything. Death Marshals and Witchling Stalkers are always good as well.

Lucius just takes too many resources to do his job. He's far from an auto lose and he is the coolest master in the game.

Ymmv seem kind of expensive for what they do. Never seen them outside of a Wong crew.

Unless armor is a thing, there are cheaper/better choices.

so they only get used against half of the factions?

Exactly. Why take a minion that only works on half the factions?

Gremlins have a lot of great choices for dealing damage or running schemes. Lighting bugs are thoroughly okay, which means they often get outclassed by the better stuff.

first mate and the cuck himself done except for basing

What to paint next? in no particular order:
3x Lightning Bugs
3x Survivors
3x Iron Skeeter
Lovely Assistant
Nightmare Whiskey Golem
Zipp

Looks great.
Zipp or the survivors.

If I do end up doing zipp next, the real question is do I go off his box art or go for a zapp brannigan look?

Definitely Zapp.
I keep getting their names confused as it is.

Shit, now I need to take show off upgrade somewhere
>stop exploding you cowards!

youtube.com/watch?v=eowPka21BNc

alright, zapp it is

Lmao

Stuffed pigs might be a good investment with Zapp, the iron skeeters could hand deliver them.

Quick rules question, Veeky Forums: Do you suffer falling damage when getting Pushed? Had a sniper on a building get hit with Challenge of Winter, which is 'push into base contact', and I wasn't sure how to rule it.

pushed yes
placed no

>pg44. models moving off elevations and falling suffer no damage if the fall was 2" or less. If the fall was more than 2" the fall deals 1 damage per 1", or fraction thereof, fallen.
>pg 46. a push is an effect that moves a model in a straight line

so the push moves a model to the edge of terrain, the rules for terrain state that if a model moves to the edge it falls off.

Yes you would fall. Only a placement effect would avoid it, like Lilith's tangle shadows.

> A push is not a normal move, and it does not count as a "move" for rules purposes.
p. 43, big book.

mr. rich guy over here with the big book

Yes. That's why you gotta be careful placing snipers up high.

Pushes don't count as a "move" but they still count as movement.

What's the difference between a move and movement?

>any time a model is moving across the table it is called movement, or the model's move

>areas of terrain can effect movement

models movement is subject to other rules that can limit movement like terrain

a move is subject to the rules of that move, be it push, place, or whatever rule you are using. for example the rules for push say that the model is moved in a straight line with the additional restriction of not being able to pass through impassable objects or climb

Book 4 turns Lucius on.

With thrills and teracotta Warriors Lucius can almost ignore the resources he'd have to use to make things go.

I wonder who will take up the mantle

Yeah, but Book 4 shit is broken across the board compared to book 3 and before, so that doesn't mean much. Anyone who got any sort of support in Book 4 is now 2 tiers higher than they were.

He does get some good stuff.
Unfortunately it looks like Nellie does his shtick but better.

>I wonder who will take up the mantle
Mantle of worst?
Kaeris? Mah?

It's what's in the OP's pdf cache. Sue me.

I really hate that hair.

I can get that. Sort of has an unnecessary anime vibe.

Gremlins you're lucky grots. Soon, you'll all be fighting for your bayou. many of you will be dying for your bayou. A few of you will be put through a fine mesh screen for your bayou. They will be the luckiest of all.

as always, basing not done~

What to paint next? in no particular order:
3x Lightning Bugs
3x Survivors
3x Iron Skeeter
Lovely Assistant
Nightmare Whiskey Golem

also need to finish painting the alternate sculpt bayou that a nice user sold me the other day :^)

Glad I could sell that to you. Can't wait to see it when it's done. Saturday I'm committed to working on my own paints for Parker, debating on paint scheme since I'm using forest base inserts.

I know my brother picked up Yan Lo's box ( sigh...I get to fight the beard), and asked for me to attempt a Dynasty Warriors setup.

And because I'm dumb I forgot to say but that is an awesome paint job! I kinda feel like there's some Roger Wilco from Space Quest 5 there too (andthatimmediatelyagesme)

>I get to fight the beard
As a Ten Thunders player, the beard honestly wasn't as bad as the whole of the female guild guard.

Getting Reva off the sprue with a broken exacto knife is a balancing act

That sceme looks amazing for Zipp.
Great work.

Lol we can be old together.
Reminisce about the good old days and plungers to the face.

I'm going to start my Malifaux General Hospital Staff.
I haven't made a list yet but total minis wise I'll have both McMourning and his 'On The Clock' crew, the Grimwell crew, a child (Junior Assistant Surgeon), a few lawyers (in case of malpractice litigation), a few assorted guards and maybe a few reporters (secretaries, press, surgery photography). I'm planning on having a small pool of staff to give me more flexibility.

I also noticed I never even assembled my Doppelganger for my Lilith crew so I'm wondering what a role she could proxy as a patient. Probably just be an objective counter.

Reminds me of Marvin the Martian. I dig it

*laughs* What's your astrochicken high score old-user

It's not that bad.

Let me guess, Neverborn player?

As an Arcanist, I think Kaeris is pretty sad.

It's okay though since the rest of the faction is pretty pants on head retarded.

Arcanists and Outcasts. Titania don't scare me.

Mah is far worse than Kaeris.

I remember being so excited for that Sailor, but the pose is so fucking bland... I am pretty letdown.

what did lucius get exactly?

>I still need to put that nigga together, and his lawyers

yeah, it does seem rather static, especially compared to the rest of the box... and the fact he is a slurid

Are the iron skeeters any good? Has anyone used them yet?

Big beater minions who auto pass horror duels and terracotta warriors who can give him upgrades (hideous interaction with curfew) and can discard a card to take no damage when Lucius uses them to keep his stones topped off

yes YES

Lucy's day has finally come.

I haven't but I've heard they're amazing.