"I fucking wish there was a game for that" thread

"I fucking wish there was a game for that" thread.

Post about movies/books you wish there was a game/setting/mechanics for ready to play, and maybe someone can point you in the right direction

Other urls found in this thread:

mightyatom.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-regiment-alpha-21-playtest-kit.html
mightyatom.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-regiment-colonial-marines-25.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I wish there was a game based on or inspired by Lord of the Rings.

Or Gor.

>based on or inspired by Lord of the Rings
there are a few, have you not tried googling that?

>Or Gor
ERP is on /soc/

Metroid series.

Like a dungeon crawl where you're a party of bounty hunters? Space Pirates, large monsters, loot and upgrades? Sounds awesome

Time Bandits.
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
Gormenghast.

The Wardstone Chronicles

Sid Meier's Civilization.

>Some game really like Wheel of Time, but maybe not exactly Wheel of Time.

The official RPG from Finland has great setting material, but the diceless system is a bit too world of darkness storygame style emphasis for me.

All of the alternatives I've found are some kind of meme game shit with 5 pages of rules for chugging vodka and yelling cheeki breeki.

>Time Bandits.
With all I have in me, YES

Chronicles of Riddick

I know there's plenty of giant robot RPGs, but not sure of any that do high speed robot action.

I feel like it might be easy to emulate with certain SWN mods

Disciples and Might & Magic

I know both series technically got some shitty card games, but they barely count

Literally any tactical shooter.

All the games that try to be "tactical" end up just being D&D with guns and way too many charts and brand names, but not any actual tactical decision-making or the kind of speed-of-play that would make a firefight stay exciting for more than one round.

I once ran a Rainbow Six game using heavily modified Old World of Darkness rules. It went pretty well, considering the system. I just upped the ante and nerfed soaking to make it super lethal. Might not be what you're looking for, tho, just thought I'd share.

There's this fantasy scenario I've always wanted to play, but I'll never find people to play it.

The Demon Cycle

The Hungry City Chronicles

I, too, lament the obsessive over-focus on minutia for the sake of realism.

One game that sort of comes close to blending tactical shooting, a fast pace, and RPG story stuff is The Regiment.

It's not done yet but check out the latest WW2 flavored version: mightyatom.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-regiment-alpha-21-playtest-kit.html

and the latest version period (with sci-fi flavor): mightyatom.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-regiment-colonial-marines-25.html

Hard to figure out how it works without understanding pbta though, so take that as you will.

I know you could probably run it in something like D&D or Pathfinder, but I desperately want to be in a Black Company game.

Man, that would be great. I'm more familiar with the european name of the series, Mortal Engines, but that whole setting was so damn good.

What unique things would you need to represent, though, that couldn't be dealt with by a generic pulpy system like Savage Worlds or Spirit of the Century?

I wish there were RPG's for the worlds of avatar (the last airbender) and tge Kliff Chronicle's. Both feature interesting worlds and cool combat. I just wish i could have characters of my own run around there.

Try using RuneQuest 6/Mythras. The firearms rules are really good and the system isn't bogged down by things too much.

It's often been suggested you could run Avatar with Legends of the Wulin.

It's a crunchy system but a very good one, with excellent combat and an almost unique blend of detailed mechanics with a more thematic and narrative focus. Your characters beliefs, personality traits and ideals can be just as key to your victory as your Kung-fu. It also has elemental powers right off the bat, which is a plus. They might take a bit of modifying, since LotW uses a chinese style five element system, but as a basis for adaptation I can't think of anything better.

If this thread is up tomorrow I'll preform an Avatar World dump, it's a World hack yes but I've run it and I feel it has merit.

there's a PbtA game called avatar world for this, I can't speak to the quality of the system but you could take a look at at, rulebook and classes are in seperate pdfs though

How have none of you people shoved these great settings into gurps?

Probably because 2much effort.

There's The One Ring, it looks pretty good.

'shoving' is a great description of adapting a setting to GURPS. Forcing it in, losing all the depth and texture, blending it all into a vaguely familiar mush which fits the default pattern.

The whole thing is about how some people are stronger, more important and more speshul than others, just because "fate". I won't want that shit in a tabletop RPG.

What do you mean?

The fuck?
What have you run in gurps recently?

What in the hell kind of system could I use to run a Warframe game?

I generally run mecha games in Mutants&Masterminds instead of dedicated mecha games. Mostly because most western mecha games are basically Battletech with the serial numbers filed off, and fuck that noise I want Anubis and Jehuty slugging at each other at Mach 6, not can-shaped tanks with legs.

This has been discussed before, and the only easy options require compromise.

Either you go for the tactical, methodical heist movie approach, in which case you go for a system along those lines, using something like Shadowrun or Eclipse Phase as a base, for a more grounded/realistic story.

Or you go full on high flying space Wuxia and run it in Legends of the Wulin.

He's too lazy to perform the actual work involved in drafting up a setting guide and telling his players what's allowed so he ends up quitting and just playing a kitchen-sink GURPS game with the setting as nothing but a cosmetic theme.

>fuck that noise I want Anubis and Jehuty slugging at each other at Mach 6, not can-shaped tanks with legs.

Hell yeah.

I've never used M&M before tho, is it easy to convert for mecha stuff?

>GURPS
Good system, sure. Not the best system for anything, though. It's too generalized to be an exact fit for any setting.

But, if you can find a way to wade through the rules, then you can make it work for just about anything, with the right splat book/s. "GURPS Asparagus," is the running joke about how many different splat books there are, but it's apt enough; there are a literal shit-ton of splat books for GURPS.

It's something which I've noticed varies a lot between people, but personally mechanical feel is a very important factor of a game to me. Different core mechanics create a different atmosphere, different expectations, different tendencies and patterns in a system. A well designed game can convey the tone and feel right from the bottom up.

GURPS is immensely modular, but it's all rooted in a functional but bland core mechanic, and every time I've tried to run or play a game in GURPS it's just ended up feeling fundamentally lacking and unsatisfying. For all the modules and options you can stack on top of it, you're always rolling the same dice in roughly the same way.

Lots of people don't have a problem with this, but personally it kills the system for me.

Your character can straight up be mecha, but the rules start to fall apart at literal high speeds. Things scale up very oddly in that game and a lot is going to start coming down to plot fiat, or rolling literal dozens of dice per action.

But yeah, it should actually work.

Is there a tabletop that would translate Bloodborne really well?

Drakengard.

It is quite easy. It's a system designed for superheroes, and it's also effect-oriented and point-based, so it's tremendously flexible because when you have a system that has to cover all the ground from Superman to Doctor Strange, making a stop at Gundam station is a definite possibility.

2nd Edition even has an anime addon book with suggestions for how to build things like mon trainers, or gundam-style mechs, or Valkyrie fighters.

Thank you guys for the info, I'll be sure to look those up. And i hope the thread'll still be up to morrow.

Star Control. That would be some top tier stuff.

There was a game called Murder! floating around on Veeky Forums years ago. I think that was the name, at least. It was a tongue in cheek game inspired by Drakengard. I recall the movement system being measured in how many people you needed to kill to get from one point to another.

I was more going for the fantasy type and the slow realization that the players are godawful people.

Kohan

>always rolling the same dice the same way..
So only systems with varying dice sizes suit you? I don't care if you don't want to play GURPS, but I'm just trying to get a better idea of why people are so turned away from it.

It's not internal variety within the system so much, GURPS has plenty of that. It's the variation that you can only get by completely changing system and building everything anew right from the bottom up.

GURPS is a masterpiece of design in managing to get a single set of core mechanics to do so much, but along those same lines... All the experiences are rooted in the same ideas, the same fundamental concepts, no matter how much you modify them.

Rather than one system that can run anything, I personally prefer more focused systems, which have a very clear, specific design goal in mind and focus all their effort on doing one thing well. And while this is reflected in a lot of ways, in my experience the best designed RPG's can convey you the themes and style of the whole game just from the core mechanic.

The Edge Chronicles

>rolling 3d6 is WAAAAAAAY different from rolling a d20 guys!
>The GAMEFEEL just doesn't work!

I'm trying to stay with you here. Do you have any concrete examples of systems that you feel have accomplished this and what their core mechanics are? It would be helpful to see what someone who doesn't fancy GURPS thinks other systems do better. I personally love GURPS and I have many friends who refuse to even try it for various flimsy reasons.
>Someone is being vague when asked vague questions
>Waah!

Not that user, but I don't think it's about dice sizes exactly. It's more about... well, different actions feeling different. GURPS has a big thing where often it doesn't feel very different mechanically whether you're playing an ancient bearded kung fu master in mythical China, or a drunkard ex-soldier from Glasgow in a cyberpunk game.

Compare playing those same two characters in, say, Legends of the Wulin and Shadowrun. The games don't even feel similar. The way you even start building your characters is entirely different, to say nothing of playing them. The incentive systems in both games are utterly dissimilar, and shepherd players towards diametrally opposed playstyles.

You get what I mean?

I know these are all video games, but they need Veeky Forums equivalents, too.

Etrian Odyssey series
Shin Megami Tensei series
Persona series
Half-Minute Hero
Monster Hunter series
Tales series
Atelier series
Trickster Online
Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley/Rune Factory
Fantasy Life
Recettear
CrossCode
Transistor
Long Live the Queen
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Final Fantasy Tactics/Advance/A2
Earth Defense Force
Phantasy Star Online/Zero

Yes. It's a relatively simplistic case, since as core mechanics 3d6 and 1d20 plus modifiers are quite similar, but they each convey a very different feel.

3d6 is, as is often trumpeted as 'superior', a bell curve. It tends towards reliable, predictable results. In a 3d6 system, you can generally be sure of success or failure, with wild swings one way or the other being rare, edge cases to be compensated for rather than things to rely on. It tends to a more grounded style of play.

1d20, meanwhile, is wildly swingy- And I do not think this is innately inferior. The results of actions are inherently unpredictable, with amazing success or catastrophic failure being just as likely, relatively, as average, middle of the road results. It tends towards a much more cinematic, heroic mode of doing things, taking risks, banking on luck and hoping for that natural 20.

They aren't things most people think about, but watch any group in play and you'll see how those different assumptions and patterns will change the way people act and interact with a system.

I'd really love to see the powder mage trilogy adapted into a ttrpg. The differences between Knacked, Privileged, Blanks, and the Powder Mages themselves would make an interesting party.

Predictable vs random
Okay, THAT I can get behind. You're right that gurps can be stable and predictable (you gotta think that shooters can shoot, wizards can spell, etc. Right? ) and I can see how that would modify the real meta-thought players go into. There's certainly more risk/reward in dnd when GMs use the "Nat 20 kills anything" house rule. But I feel gurps grounds things in reality more, even when playing a fantasy setting. Lower HP vs reliable Weapon strength. More believable wounds vs death. It really lends( the games I have run)a sense of immersion I always found blocked by d20 based, hp bloated, feat tax, "I hope you're a high enough level" systems.

That's where I have a hard time understanding. To me all character I make in GURPS feel fully fleshed out the way I want them to be. To the very last detail I can build my own way of fighting or solving other issues, most things not even involving any rolls. It is a subjective issue I suppose. It might stem from how restrained I always felt when playing D&D and being forced to fit in a box where my character's mechanics didn't match up with what I wanted them to be like at that level. I've also found a liking to M&M for its more generic and open character creation. In GURPS a kung-fu master and a cyborg ninja wouldn't feel the same to me at all, even if both roll the same dice to hit someone with their attacks.

Then on the other hand, with the 3d6 approach it is more of a deal if you succeed against poor odds, since you're more likely to lose out with its more reliable approach. I think GURPS' maximum critical chance is actually around 5%, just like D&D.

A simple example is Legends of the Wulin. Its core mechanic is rolling a pool of d10's and collecting sets of dice showing the same face, evaluating each set individually.

Without getting into the minutiae of mechanics, the thing which really makes the system feel different to play, for me, is that it is the only system I have ever played which allows you to undertake multiple simultaneous actions on a single roll. It's part of what really gives me the feel of being this omnicapable kung-fu badass, in and out of combat. Having the flexibility and options to do multiple things at once makes it feel unlike virtually any other system I've played, and allows that sort of extreme competence to come naturally rather than cluttering up a game with loads of dice rolls.

>Monster Hunter
Yes.

>Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley/Rune Factory
Wouldn't that just be growing crops? Well, I mean, Rune Factory has the dungeon diving thing, but it's still mostly crops.

>Final Fantasy Tactics
Ye-
>/Advance
Eh.
>/A2
You had me, then you lost me. The Advance series was far too much of a departure from the original, not just plot-wise, but also mechanics-wise. As far as FFT goes, though, couldn't you just use a point-buy system to build some classes, then let people buy into them using class prerequisites?

So basically since you roll once for a combo of actions it feels better? Does every success just make your action bigger and better? It sounds very cinematic, which is one way to deal with things and I can agree that if you were able to make 10 attacks on your turn in GURPS then that'd take a while to handle in its entirety. I guess the chunky bits of GURPS slower combat pace does appeal to me since it feels like every action matters. When you move, when you strike, how you defend, where you are located. The effects of tour attacks are also more than just hitting a brick wall of HP as even a standard punch can knock a man off his feet if you're strong enough.

Do you actually DO these things as you get multiple actions or so you simply improve upon your effects dynamically?

How are you people becoming even more ubiquitous and annoying than the GURPSposters? At least they're doing it """ironically"""

Sounds awesome guys, thanks! I'll check it out.

Legend of Eli Monpress (probably pretty obscure? the magic system has all objects having spirits, and magic is just forcing/asking those spirits to do things. Books open with Eli tricking a door into falling out of its hinges by convincing it to let go of the nails holding it up)

Probably wants its own game, but I'd settle for a decent d20 hack

>Wouldn't that just be growing crops?
Maybe for Harvest Moon and even then, there's far more to the game than just the daily chore in the morning that you finish in no time flat.

For these games in particular I was thinking more of a board game than a RPG.
Then again, we have Ryuutama, so I wouldn't rule out that you can make an interesting RPG out of this stuff, either.

>You had me, then you lost me.
I was merely including all three so as to not pass up any good, interesting or even just convenient elements from either of them.
My first game of these was FFTA, and as a result I never quite managed to warm up to either of the other two.

>As far as FFT goes, though, couldn't you just use a point-buy system to build some classes, then let people buy into them using class prerequisites?
No.
And the job system is not the defining feature of the Tactics games.

No, it's the tactical part, with the square-/tile-based movement. Which more systems than not already do. It's basically chess, but with varied stats for the individual pieces, a progression system, and a setpiece instead of a flat board.

My point is that, if you had the classes already statted out, you could turn almost any system into that with a bit of work.

Unless, of course, you were talking about actually turning the system in the game into a tabletop game in and of itself. If that's the case, I'd suggest looking at other tactical games, like XCOM Enemy Unknown/Within, XCOM 2, the GBA Tactics Ogre, and similar stuff, finding a happy medium, and making it yourself.

I've always wanted to run a game based on Old School Runescape.

a setting with both magic and custom mechsuits. The best idea I can have is dwarf clerics praying for divine knowledge that they write in holy blueprints, which then get created piece by piece via high level wizards using fabricate spells. Suits are powered by home brew phlogiston....

Sounds like you need gurps, friend

>Tinker Tailor

Cold City does espionage in 1960s Berlin very well, and Night's Black Agents is a fucking incredible modern spy game that you can easily ignore the supernatural elements of.

Final Fantasy Tactics works almost exactly like D&D 4e.

>I don't want players in my tabletop

It's almost like there are a lot of people that want a robust and tactical combat system without too many detailed rules. This game is BRP + great combat and cool magic.

A modernish setting set completely underground.

>amazing success or catastrophic failure being just as likely
>cinematic, heroic mode

I agree. Remember all those times Batman tripped over himself trying to climb a building, or failed to vanish away from people he was just talking to? Or how Neo's guns would hilariously misfire every 20th burst? What about the part of 300 where Leonidas' grip slipped and he accidentally stabbed himself in the foot? I'm pretty sure Jason Bourne ends up clocking himself in the face about once a fight, that sounds about right.

Please learn what cinematic means.

I really want to see this. I had the pdf and then my computer went tits up and I lost it. When I went back to re-download it the dude took it off his website and made a Kickstarter for it.

I'm still kind of pissed.

Just woke up and won't be at a computer for a few hours have some thread CPR.

Delivery soon.

You know some asshole is just gonna try and make it to the surface despite the village elder's wishes.

(There's a d&d campaign book. It's really very good)

it's pretty specific but i've wanted this for a while

grand strategy game based on a united states of ~2016-2020 where the federal government dissolves and each state becomes an independent entity (without nuclear weapons, however--the federal government exists only as a nuclear weapons operation thing)

canada and mexico could or could not exist as powerful, existing factions

the endgoal could possibly be 'unite the 50 states whether through diplomacy or force' (i.e. create a new federal government under the legal entity of your chosen state)

it would work so well too

Bleach. May have been a shit anime, but it's recent ending reminded me of something: Bleach was fucking cool as hell. From the character designs to powers to fucking clothes, Bleach was cool. Plus I'd love to play a table game in the setting, along with a series of customizable powers & abilities, with a story that actually made a lick of sense.

You can give this a try. It's a really simple beer-and-pretzels game designed to emulate stuff like John Wick or Expendables, but it's fun to play and lets you get really operator if your players know what they're talking about.

Always wanted to run something in the fallen London setting, it's already an RPG mechanically, just need a way of either shaving stats to a max of 100 or getting a quicker way of determining percent of success without a computer to do it for me

Either Legends of the Wulin or use Mutants & Masterminds.

4e dnd would be great for this actually

I would love to see a game made for Monster Blood Tattoo. There certainly is enough information about the setting in the appendixes of the books to run one.

Idk, some of the powers just weren't fucking close in power level. Like, some characters had utterly useless Shikai or Bankai. 4e benefited from having generally similar power levels across the board. Plus, not sure how many times bankais could actually be used in succession, but I get where you're coming from in that dailies / Times per encounter abilities seem like they'd fit.

Basically, it comes down to structure of play and incentives, not the dice, as I said.

Legends of the Wulin, for example, incentivizes kung fu movie play from the basic mechanics in a way that in GURPS the GM and players would have to constantly manually correct for. From the moment you make your character (where things like the school or sect your character belongs to or which of the classic Chinese Virtues you adhere the most to are legit mechanical concerns in the system), the entire system is constantly nudging you towards playing genre. You COULD represent the loresheet entanglement system in GURPS, too, but I would bet you a doughnut it wouldn't be the thing that would occur to someone hacking GURPS to run kung-fu unless they read some of the EOS games first.

And this continues in play. Using your noncombat special abilities and Secret Arts require actually engaging with the five-element mindset of the setting, rather than just being an ability you press a button for. The game mechanically forces you to get entangled with things, and as you act in a genre way and follow the Classic Virtues in your actions, your fellow players are the ones driving your entanglement further, motivating you to show off in front of them, which is in fact a huge part of Wuxia. And so on.

Basically, you can make GURPS work for kung-fu, but a specialized game like Wulin will make the kung fu sort of happen with a lot less effort because of the way it's built to cause and incentivize it.

You feel me a bit better now?

I think I can understand that. It is most often conceeded there are better systems out there to hit a specific theme and feel than GURPS, but even when I suggest things that GURPS does a lot better than the many other systems I know people still roll their eyes. A high-wuxia campaign would be something GURPS would need heavy adaption to fit in, but there are many things I feel GURPS can do much better than other systems. Gritty things are especially well done. Lethal and tacticool combat where all choices really matter, turning your back to someone could be the dumbest thing you do. I think I might actually need to delve into things a bit deeper in the future, see if I can get a group willing to test system X and the GURPS equivalent and then we work out which fits the bill better. That could be a fun project.

World of Warcraft. Specifically designed to emulate WoW from scratch, so no, not 4e or that 3ed White Wolf thing or Strike! or any of the various reskins (although I found some okay ones)

Also a game based on parkour and chases, something like Mirror's Edge.

I would love a setting splat for Pern. stats and mechanics for stepping sideways/teleporting... Pern dragon stats... breath weapon info... I know a lot of these have been homebrewed but I would love something official. sadly that will never happen...damn it.

I'd love to run a game based off of Timesplitters, myself. GURPS: Infinite Worlds or Savage Worlds might work pretty well though.

DINGDINGDING!!!!!!

Delivery! Get it while it's hot!

Don't like singles? We got spreads to.