Tell me about your worlds lore

Tell me about your worlds lore.

We all know you spent a lot of time building a world and story so lets share them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_X68VEaIIdc
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

But where should I start?

The beginning. What's the creation story for your world?

Very little established lore aside from what the players have directly asked me during char gen. (Consequently, dwarves are super fleshed out. Humans less so)

Large countries along the racial bent; human elven dwarves and savage beast men. A war some two hundred years previous to the start of the game, a massive war pitted the three aforementioned against the evil bad country. The war concludes with the death of the Horned King, but a massive magical curse engineered by the Alliance royally fucks up the lands to the South.

I don't have much of a genesis story for how/why the humans elves and dwarves are in the lands they are. Some of the history is there (the dwarven Kingdoms encroached from off the map, but the exact histories of the lost empire were lost in the last war, and the current king is in his last years. There's also a few lost Deugar clans the party are soon to meet)

Also, gunpowder has been adopted by the humans, elves are slightly druid derp naturalists, and dwarves are mountain dwelling stick in the muds. But the party seems to like it.

I'm actually redoing the creation myth, so there are some unfinished ideas
>world is already there
>inhabitated by intelligent, magical dragons
>new gods appear, want this to be their world
>create the fantasy races to fight a war against those dragons
>a lot of fighting
>they basically win, barely any of the dragons left
>fantasy races live in paradisaic world
>until a god creates humans, which nobody knows what to do with them
>they rebell against the gods and incite fantasy races to do the same
>rebellion happens
>gods fuck off
>they actually protected the worlds from demons
>everything is fucked until NEW gods appear
>constant fight against demons, humans trying to make fantasy races to believe in new gods, new gods are kinda bros, some are shady, some can be assholes, but they all fight against evil
At some point everything becomes kinda normal.

Just copy pasting my own stuff, so apologies for any typos:

Before the "Child" races, there were the "Elder" races.

The Elder Races' creation myths revolved around their affiliation with the primal elements: Fire, Earth, Wind, Water, and Seele "Soul". Seele is the element of Magic, the "Godstuff" that creates, shapes, and rewrites the World as only the Gods could.The very elements themselves are akin to their divine interactions. So these elements were combined into the first races, or so it goes.

To give some background, the Gnomish and Dwarven races, of whom typically reside in the more mountainous/hilly areas, are said to have been crated in very much the same way they make their fine dwarven crafts: Earth gave metal, Fire powers the furnace to heat the metal, Wind fuels the fire, Water cools the metal down to make it manageable, and what is left is the "Godstuff", the finished product of all the elements combined.

Gnomes and Dwarfs share essentially the same story, however the Gnomes were created by the slag of the finished product, into a smaller version of the previous work, the Dwarfs. This is not to be considered as belittling of the Gnomish race, as the tale explains how while Dwarfs may be the intended final product, the Gnomes exist just as hearty and stalwart comparatively with the Dwarfs themselves, leaving nothing to be wasted; a Craft in their own right.

The Gnomes exemplify this with their stubborn nature, their "work hard, play hard" attitude, and their sheer tenacity against odds that seem stacked highly against them, like the native Dragons of the mountainous regions. The Dwarfs remain their amicable "twins"(*think of better kinship name) that keep them supplied with fine weapons, impressive keeps, and good, good mead.

In my world, there aren't very many true elves left.

Most of the old elven kingdoms have been breeding with humans for so long that what we know as "Elves" are actually statted as "Half-elves".
They still have many trademark qualities of the elves, long, pointy ears, slim figures, thinner faces, an insufferable cultural attitude, etc, but they dont live as long as the true elves of old do.

The exceptions are the Snow Elves, who have mastered the ways of sailing through everything but water, and build their ports high on the freezing mountaintops. There are only a handful of these Snow Elven ports in the world, and probably no more than 2,000 Snow Elves between them.

Shall I tell more?

The Dwarven race revolves around the self-improvement, refinement, and creativity of crafts, buildings, traps, etc. Anything that can be improved, re-imagined, deconstructed and reconstructed, or something entirely new to be made: the Dwarfs are the ones to do it. The race has divided itself into "Crafting Halls" and from there, families and communities work toward the particular goal of that Crafting Hall, i.e. traps, fortresses, weapons, shields, armor. To be the Hall of whom their craft has been recognized as being "the best", if for a while, is the greatest achievement a Crafting Hall could strive for, and hope to defend.

The Gnomish race started with little. Little territory compared to the Crafting Hall City-States of the Dwarfs, of whom would carve the whole inside of mountains to prove their mastery. Little food when all you have left to hunt are mountain peaks, deadly creatures that lurk in darkened corners, and surviving on the supplies of the Dwarfs, which vary in quality due to the nature of their "craft". And this left them with little patience. The Gnomes make due. They work harder, run faster, think sharper, and have little patience left for anything else. They live spartan lives and live in tribes. Although their live may seem rough, in general the society of Gnomes almost has an unspoken appreciation and love for a lifestyle revolving around hunting, exploring, and individuality.

Horizon is extremely, unnaturally young for an inhabited world - different sources estimate it to be 5000-10000 years old only - yet it has (relatively) developed geography and several established and sophisticated civilisations. There is a very good reason for this - none of the Horizon's inhabitants are actually native to it, with few exceptions. They have all arrived on the planet around 2000 years ago as part of a mysterious cosmic event known as "the Planetfall".

No one knows what was the original reason for it, but millennia ago, 70 spelljammers - massive vessels, capable of interplanar and cosmic travel - have departed an unknown inhabited world (or perhaps several of them?) carrying millions of living creatures, in search of a new home. The journey continued for hundreds of years - a rare creature who has originally boarded a spelljammer have lived to see the end of its journey. It carried on without end - and people lost their hopes of ever ending it. They cursed their destinies, renounced their gods and accepted the fact that they will probably live and die on their ships, when Galador - the captain of spelljammer "Thessea" has noticed a weird cluster of light on his navigational panel. He directed the remains of the fleet - of which only 12 ships have remained - to follow the light and in three more years, 12 remaining spellhammers have made Planetfall. They called the planet Horizon, the Promised Land, the Realm - and its existence was most curious indeed. It was a world full of native life and water - yet no intelligent lifeforms inhabited it. To this day these questions remain, even though the majority of people don't even remember that their civilisations weren't born on this distant, alien land. Why have the spelljammers left their home worlds? What really led them to this plane and what is the true purpose of it? Has there really been only 12 spelljammers that have reached their destination?

Religious freak Nature elves pop up out of no where saying it was time to reveal themselves to save humanity following a nature goddess orders they then introduce their religion to convert humans in their ranks that actually gained a shitton of followers but they arent really the big part of my setting the only big thing that the goddess has done was was fuck over a combined military force by turning them all into beastmen/fantasy creatures (Orcs,centaurs,goblins, and other assorted mutants) forcing almost all of them to be depressed bitter veterans or mercenaries trying to make it by due to their own countries abandoning them they might be scumbags to many but they have a deep brotherhood with the other mutants even if they are from different countries

The setting was just an idea I had after reading this book "Company of Darkness" about a group of villains who live in a world where the good guys won and have to deal with the shit after it. I wanted to make the nature faction seem good on the outside but once they gained power they started doing some shady shit the elven leaders also say they have the best intention for its people and will often have the public ignore the problems of the outside world.

>Human experimentation
>Historical cover ups
>We accept anyone one into our religion expect those evil mutants!!

While the military faction is fueled by propaganda and extremely religious not mention they say the battle where all of those soldiers were turned into mutants was a victory but all the soldiers are marked KIA by them this war on information has turned it into a big brother state.

>world covered in water except for small islands that were once mountaintops before the flood
>the gods are dead and their ghosts roam the earth, taking refuge in objects to prevent their essences from disappearing forever
>these objects become known as artifacts and those who come into their possession gain pieces of the god's power - and fragments of memories
>the nations of this world-made-primitive go to war over these artifacts
That's all I got so far.

I have another setting, more of a standard fantasy one:

>worship of magic-hating god is the mainstream religion
>those with sorcerous blood confined to tower to live their days as part of a treaty made to prevent them from being killed
>said god's religious capital city has fallen under a curse after priest-king went missing
>plague upon plant life spreads and draws attention of tree-people
>nobles vying for control due to power void and other nations want influence

For starters, my setting doesn't use a formal pantheon, it uses vague astrology (for my convenience and for player benefit)--there's essentially a star for everything, and constellations carry significant meanings to people based on their combinations of stars. Phrases like "lucky stars" and "thank the stars" are more common.

The oldest known sentient beings are FÆries and Dragons. Dragons are broadly similar to the base rulebook versions, but far more dramatic in size and scope, to the point of being the settings' only "gods". There used to be many, but eventually one devoured the others and took their souls as his own. He is known as Vaurtacks, the Last Dragon.

The timeline of magic starts around this point, as the oldest type of magic is Druidism. Druids, typically known for impartiality, actually had a sort-of civil war (but little of its is actually recorded). TL;DR there used to be pro-Dragon Druids and pro-FÆrie Druids, and they didn't get along. Ultimately, since Vaurtacks greatly trimmed down the number of Dragons, pro-FÆrie Druids won out before also going extinct.
Vaurtacks was put away--you can't kill a god, but you can easily make him rule over nothing.

Elves are the next oldest race, and they have a sort of cousin-like relationship to FÆries. Over time, they and Gnomes banded together and formed what is now known as the Oberon Alliance, which is a pseudo-nation that shares ties with the mainland (and essentially governs the forests freely). "Halfings" are half-Fey, hence the name, making them direct cousins of Gnomes. They get along with Humans the same way Gnomes do Elves--famously.

Humans were originally desert folk, generally presumed to be a twisted branch of the Elven/FÆrie family tree descended beyond recognition. Now they occupy swathes of the continent because, compared to other races, they fuck like rabbits. Their pragmatism makes them a decent match with Dwarves. (cont.)

Dwarves have unavoidable culture clashes, which is mostly tolerated thanks to very, very old ties between them and old Humans during the warring periods. Dwarves, for religious and cultural reasons, never grew out of the bartering system. They prefer favours and services over monetary wealth (which extends down into family ties, arranged marriages, intergenerational friendships, and so on). Somewhat ironically, they are a more nonmaterial society than just about anyone besides the Oberon Alliance. They are potentially the missing link in the origin of Humans, since desert Dwarves are a thing.

Half-Orcs are basically the only kind of Orc nowadays. They are also the setting's resident Mongol Empire and Weeaboo central. Their culture is artifacted Human/Dwarf conceits, left unabated for some time due to living on offshore islands.

I won't go into exhaustive detail on the regions, continents, or provinces, but suffice to say I used LEGO Castle flags and soundalike names from other sources for ease of memorization. The tallest mountain is called the Dragon's Crown, for instance.

(cont.)

The last, most important detail is the trees--the oldest "nonsentient" race, and the original source of the magic that made Druidism possible.

Enormous Mana-style worldtrees were common (and the effective homes of FÆries; think Berserk and you're on the right track). To be totally frank, imagine if trees produced Magic™ instead of oxygen and Bob's your uncle. They eventually went the way of the Dodo, same as the Dragons and most FÆries, but the aforementioned Druid civil war made them gone but not forgotten.

Their 'natural' magic made them the origin point for the modern interpretation of Druids. Druids, in my setting, are essentially classified as individual sovereign nations. Each Druid carries a charm with them, and non-Druid possession of one of these is tantamount to a war crime. TL;DR the purpose of Druids in the current state was instated by the foundation for the Oberon Alliance, and the oldest charms were made from the remains of worldtrees.

Some of the pro-FÆrie Druids salvaged the remains of Dragons, as well--they were turned into small bits of jewelry, and intended for Druidic use (godlike powers and what-have-you). These were lost during the warring periods between the predecessors to the oldest Human empires, and ultimately became the crown jewels of the aristocracies.

The Druidic charms eventually became more of a formality; there's only so many dead super-tree bits to go around, after all. But some are still of significance--in particular, a series of five charms intended for an old Druid council. Ones that, if not for the warring periods, would have used in tandem with the crown jewels. It ultimately became "what could have been". For some time, anyway.

(cont.)

The setting eventually catches up during the more modern period, when the nations have generally resolved their differences.

Vaurtacks, as established, is not dead--but he is hardly powerless, even if he's ruling over an abyssal void. He creates a whole plane in his image, and a race that joined him in his banishment, Dragonborn, worship him as their rightful god. Eventually, his interests return to the past--to devour, and to finish what he began. His approach is heralded by his holy servants, along with in-the-know evil Druids and moles in the material plane. In other words, an ancient evil has awakened. I'll see myself out

A single worldtree, though frail and dying, survived after all this time, as a council of the FÆries (themselves a reclusive race), and could feel this palpable return of the Last Dragon. Aware that the Last Dragon, once fully integrated back in reality, would be unstoppable in every sense, looked towards the council's unused charms--and the upcoming diplomatic meeting of the royal families--as an opportunity to turn the tables.

The first announcement of Vaurtacks' return was his holy servants raising an entire continent into the sky (to demonstrate their efficacy on paper, to trap the world leaders and ease their armies into the material in reality). Shadowy beings ran rampant across the material, and the servants were on the hunt for the crown jewels. In the chaos, some of the royal families managed to escape into the Oberon Alliance and contact this worldtree--with the jewels in tow.

Informed of what was transpiring with the Last Dragon, and with the jewels and charms joined for the first time, they could finally finish what the Druids started long ago.

Pic sort of related.

Fantasy setting that takes place inside a computer. Nobody knows this.

Vampire:The Masquerade game taking place in 1400s where the idea of vampires coming from Cain is catching on dude to new vampires looking to the bible as a source of vampire history.

Finally, there's 150 years of housekeeping before my setting proper. I know some of my players go on Veeky Forums, so I'm spoiler tagging to be safe.

The obviously-Green-Ranger-expy had an Evil Druid charm and Vaurtacks gem, which made hell for a while. This guy was actually a prince of the Half-Orc nation (and a victim of the post-warring periods), who had to settle his differences before coming around. These Starmored Knights™ managed to legitimately kill Vaurtacks, though it took a lot of blood, sweat, tears, an apocalyptic arrival of the Last Dragon (who killed millions with nary a thought), and the sacrifice of their powers and the last living worldtree to do it. Dragonborn finally returned to their ancestral homelands and buried the hatchet, the world's tallest mountain became a crater, and a few new nations and sovereignties popped up in the interim. However, their work wasn't all done. The charms--elementally themed because duh--were destroyed when the worldtree went all-in. The 'void' charm, not of this world, did not go the same way, and as such the hilariously-overpowered prince simply went flying into orbit sometime after Vaurtacks' grand finale. After crashing back to earth, it caused a massive underground war between the Underdark and, of all things, Gith. Through dirty laundry the holy corpse eventually came back into possession of nasty-ass pro-Dragon Druids, who returned it to their ancestral temple. In time, the small sliver of Vaurtacks' power in the charm would return him to some form of life--though not an ideal one. At this point, the Half-Orc Empire's navy accidentally found this resting place, and in separating the body from the charm unleashed holy hell, causing a rerun. Material blended with void, the prince's body became a mutated undead shell, the navy was devastated, and the temple was ruined. The charm now rests, waiting for the right person to find it as the pro-Dragon Druids nurse Vaurtacks back to health.

In the beginning, there was only dust, and magic. Across the vast emptiness of the cosmos, arcane winds pushed and pulled the dust until it collected, clotting together. The first planets were born, barren and lifeless. Magic seeped into these worlds, igniting a spark within that cast a blaze visible across all off creation. The stars and suns were born, and with them came heat, energy harnessed into purified form. More dust gathered and combined, yet heat did not ignite these planets. Instead, life flourished from within. Piles of sand and dust formed into beings, hardening into stone and metal. The planets were reformed by their new masters, to cultivate new beings and creations.

And so, life evolved. Life evolved, technology was made and improved, and on one planet a great being was born. He had the sight to look across the cosmos, and see the dust and magic around him. He saw the planets, spread from one another too far to allow proper communication, and he knew of a purpose.

The being was strong, and he reached up and took hold of the magic that had made planets and stars, and set to work. He built great magical tethers, connecting each world as he went. The magic scorched his hands, but he did not care. He was filled with purpose and inspiration. Beings of all kinds followed him, and on each planet his followers grew.

The time came when every planet had been tethered, and it was possible to travel from one end of creation to the other, yet still the being did not think himself finished.

Again he looked to the cosmos, and saw that in his travels not all had followed him. Some had for a time, and stopped, and were now lost. They were distraught, sowing Chaos in their grief, and he would not stand for it. No, the being would create a single massive world, which would house all of creation's denizens. He reached up again, and once more the magic scorched his hands.

I mean I got more but it's all pretty shitty.

Okay, I'll leave.

Well, a setting I'm working on at the moment is a low-mid fantasy consisting of a mashup of cultures from about 1000 bc to 800 ad, so you've got Romans, Greeks, early vikings, celts, and the like.
The basic premise of the world is...
the elves rules everything, and just gently corralled most other races into their own little corners of the world so they could live separately from all the other sapient species, to avoid too much conflict. Effectively the elves viewed themselves as zookeepers on a massive scale. Of course, these other races didn't like being kept in their own sections of the world, even if said sections were nice places to live with not too much danger and bountiful resources.
Over millennia the elves were worn down by conflict after conflict as they tried to stop the other races slaughtering each other, themselves, or breaking out of containment and attacking the elves. Finally a massive tide of Orcs swept down from the north, massacring everything along the way. The elves drove them back, but much of their race was dead.
What was left split into two groups. One was sick of violence and they all got on their ships and went back home, to a small island defending by fierce magical storms. The other group went mental and formed "the wild hunt" who scoured the land slaughtering everything (especially orcs), before settling far in the north, where the few hundred remaining have made it their mission in life to not rest until every single orc is dead. And they don't view the other races with too much fondness either.
Now, in the present, the other races have spread all over the known world, and have formed various cultures and kingdoms. With the exception of humans, who tend to have myths regarding elves as mostly benevolent figures, most races (especially dwarves) regard elves as complete bastards, to the point that they use phrases like "you've got the blood of an elf" as an insult equal to "you motherfucking, whore-born, cock-sucking faggot".

Fourth line
*ruled, not rules.

Gods wandered around the universe and found a planet where the natives created a parallel world out of magic where they housed the souls of their dead and where the gods found they could manifest in the greatest possible capacity, so they shredded all the souls in there and cleansed the mortals in order to replace them with beings that they could control (the various sapients of the setting). Since an influx of souls is needed to sustain the alternate world (souls are batteries of magic, and passing through to the afterlife gives it more building material since it's a magical construct), they keep their new mortals around (almost every major god has their own race, but humans were created as a joint effort by the gods to have a force that can be put into play from any side - the humans were lied to by the gods as being the children of a dead god) and are herding them to a point of technological stagnation with the optimum amount of death and new life to sustain the death.

I thought it was cool.

I feel like this thread was a trap to make everyone simultaneously realize that they are woefully unoriginal the same time

Humans, hobgoblins, and goblins are all related and part of the Goblinoid group and are able to interbreed but only human/hobgoblin offspring are able to reproduce while goblin hybrids are typically sterile.

Orcs and ogres are another subgroup and while able to interbreed, it is rare because of the size and cultural differences.

Trolls are a primitive distant relative that have managed to survive on their own because of their regeneration and strength.

Humans and Hobgoblins live in peaceful coexistence most places but goblins are typically used as slave labor or exist as lower class citizens. They live in large city-states commonly ruled by an oligarchy or rarely a monarchy. Most of their military depends on alchemical and magical warfare supporting armies formed of civilian volunteers or mercenary armies. There are several city-states, one in particular (that the game is set in) that uses mutated and alchemically enhanced beasts of war.

Orcs come in either tribal nomad or imperial flavors. Imperial orcs live in large cities that are quite xenophobic but refuse to utilize outright slave labor but do occasionally use debtors for dangerous and demeaning work. Their military relies on firearms revolving around a waterproof gel instead of gunpowder, the secret to make this blasting gel is a jealously guarded secret much to the chagrin of the human and hobgoblin city-states.

Ogres once had a prosperous trade-empire but pressure from the faster breeding and somewhat more intuitive races lead to a downfall they have yet to recover from in the centuries since. They now reside either in nomadic bands similar to the Roma or living under the control of the Goblinoids or Orcs as brute labor or mercenaries for their large sizes and great strength.

Trolls are barely sophont, living either solitary or as mated pairs. They have no culture to speak of beyond a nearly lost language and antediluvian ruins scattered through the world.

What's the point if nobody is going to respond?

...also I'd probably share but being on my phone means I can't really type a lot.

Lets you get things off of your chest. Also when you're summarizing your settings you're also internally evaluating it.

OP and everyone else can steal the good parts

Near future (with some alternative history) with glaciers and exo-suits?

I'm still working on details that enable all the shit to happen but the timeline hinges on a rogue planet dementing Earth's orbit.

I'd assume there is a paranoia when building up worlds and settings and narratives; I have felt like everything I have conjured has been seized by something else.

In the end, after years of debating my own setting's validity as "original", it made more sense to me that everything we make is dependent on what came before us, so I'm cool with sharing some elements with other fiction.

However, I'm a little done with all the direct Tolkien mythos with elves and dwarves and orcs in settings.

Homo Sapiens are tiny minority race, almost extinct in the grand scheme of things, and survive in the underbelly of galactic society as mercenaries, deniable assets, menial laborers, and gypsies. There are of course exceptions, but they're obviously the exceptions not the rules.

These people are those that were sent out in the early days of space colonization in stasis or generation ships.

There's a race of hyper intelligent and reclusive posthuman AIs/gastalts that called dibs on Earth and the name Humanity in the mean time while these people were all on ships. Most Homo Sapiens don't like to be associated with the word Human or Humanity anymore, because the AIs are kinda scary and most of the galactic community is pretty wary of them. The name that's kinda bubbled up as the term for them, also what I've been calling the setting as a whole, is "The Last Children of Earth." Usually shortened to either "the Last" or "the Children" by most homo sapiens. Other races obviously have their own words for them.

The stuff I'm hung up on right now is a good variety of non-cliched but still interesting and approachable alien races. Also the galactic political map, but that's hard without the peoples to fill it in with.

Overall it's kinda got the feel of Mass Effect, but with more cyberpunk elements and more different aliens. I think one of the closest things to it is the now canceled Prey 2. youtube.com/watch?v=_X68VEaIIdc Not quite that dark though.

Correction, when I say "more different" I don't mean just different than the aliens in Mass Effect. I mean 20-25 major and minor species. As opposed to a dozen.

Which is in itself kind of a tall order.

>Non Cliche
>"The Last", "The Children"
The post human beings call themselves humanity but the humans call themselves a screamo album?

To me it makes more sense that either BOTH want to keep the name, the Meat Humans resentful that the Metal Humans have stolen their namesake, or that the AI gestalt entities define themselves or themself as a new post human title.

Makes me think of Shakara, except the post-human AIs taking on the name and culture of humanity seems like a cool take. What kind of strangeness factor/variation from humanoid are you interested in for having alien races? I assume however strange most of them would be there would have to be a large number of races capable of reasoning and communicating with each other to create a galactic economy (with room for races that are more 'collective force of nature' than 'galactic player').

Also, have you played Distant Worlds: Universe? It's quite nice for getting a feeling of how galactic empires grow and look like on a map, or even for making your own galactic maps (there's an editor in the game). Space pirates, colonisation and resource exploitation are huge parts of that game.

The world is basically akin to Underworld, but slightly more mystical. There's vampires, werewolves, Frankenstein's monsters, and gargoyles along with other misfits. The world is very low magic and operates on the boundary of magic and science, similar to the early 1900's and late 1800's. The origins of the supernatural world is never discussed and is obfuscated in mystery. Looking into what causes vampirism will yield different results for different people. A scientist might find it's a virus, while another might discover it's an ancient hereditary condition that is unlocked. Others might discover the person is a new type of organism. The point is that it varies from test to test and is constantly obfuscated as the game isn't about the supernatural origins but about supernatural beings.
The supernatural world is dominated by 4 immortals: vampires, werewolves, gargoyles, and Frankensteins. The council of the 4 enforce and create the laws, which are few in number. The basic one is never to tell humanity about the supernatural world.
The setting takes place in 2025 which is about 5 minutes into the future. Technological progress is at a rate akin to the early days back in industrial revolution, and science is bumping heads with the supernatural world once more.

Fair. I really just haven't come up with a good name for regular humans in the setting, but I really liked "Last Children of Earth" as a setting name.

Ultimately, I just really liked the idea that humans don't get to call themselves that for whatever reason. The big AIs have been a major presence in the galaxy for a couple centuries by the time the first of ships start to make planetfall/get picked up. The humans that are found are ultimately such a small group, relatively speaking, and so politically irrelevant that the majority of aliens would just get really confused if one of called their species "human" in public, because they'd default to thinking of the computers. A lot of "middle class" aliens have probably never even seen a human on space TV before, besides maybe the news/educational stuff, let alone met one in person.

Naming things is hard though. Especially names that both stick and aren't too tacky.

I'm looking for everything between amorphous cloud being to rubber forehead. Though there would only be one of each of those extremes, and a most of the stuff inbetween would be not too derived from humans in terms of shape/culture. The farthest I would get for common stuff physically would be something like a Birrin.

I'm generally thinking there ought to be two or three major political blocks/civilizations, then a few minor states, and some totally outlaw areas.

I'll check that out, it sounds both fun and helpful for what I'm doing.

Maybe you could play on that then?

Sure, the rest of the species hear human and think Artificial Beings, but it makes sense to me that at least some of humanity would refuse to give up their namesake.

That's fair, and likely the case. It's just that while the humans might still call themselves that, the entire rest of the galaxy doesn't. If you flip on the news and see stuff about crime rates spiking after a human ship landed in town, they're definitely not going to be calling them "humans" they'd call them something else entirely. Some humans have accepted it and taken that name, others have not but still have to use it on official documents and such if they want to do that. That's a problem I've been having. The setting is obviously built around humans and how they exist, but I constantly find myself getting more involved with how the rest of the setting works instead. I'm just trying to get enough of the backdrop filled in before I start really fleshing stuff out.

I think a way to come up with some of those races would be to think of someone specific to an earth species and then extrapolate that to "how would their society work if they gained sentience?". Some of it wouldn't be terribly original, but it would be better than blueberry aliens of planet babe. I understand why having 25+ major alien races which are coherent to the setting is a challenge though. I think whatever you do you will end up with most of those races being almost exactly like what someone else has thought up of and implemented. Probably the easiest thing would be to outright steal designs you think work for you and then change them, at least that's what I would do in your place.

As for Distant Worlds it is pretty neat. It's actually divided into two main ways to play the game, empire and pirate. Pirates tend to have warpdrive technology ahead of empires and so they can cause a massive headache for the empires, to the point where there are often sectors of space where pirates control everything and keep the populations of various worlds down and out of the space race. Though the alien races in the game and its most popular mods are pretty generic mostly bipedal (though divided into humanoid, reptilian, insectoid, bear-i-forget-their-actual-name, and amphibian) the way different populations grow and dominate the stars is interesting. Having no homeworld for the humans to populate and thrive on is an interesting concept for why their population can't recover, so having that as a storyline seems like a cool idea (even if you have it as a pie in the sky goal the humans can never achieve).

Why not just have the non hu!mam races refer tomthem as just "refugees" then? Never mentioning their race origin, just treating them as a non descript plague or hassle. But you're right, if you want to figure out how the galaxy treats the vagabonds and nomads left of squishy meat humanity, you need the alien races first. As cliche as it may be, its probably best for a few races to just be lumpyhead humans with exagerrated human morality or ideology. At least as a baseline.

Eh, I'm probably gonna cut it down to something more manageable like 15. I've already got 4-5 depending on whether or not I keep one that is kind of controversial. I've been trying to steal parts of ideas rather than whole ideas, but yeah I've dipped into outright taking whole concepts. The controversial race kinda being one of them.

Ultimately, it's not really that humanity can't recover, it's just that they're so far behind that's it not really within anyone's time scale. Most of them aren't going to have more than two or three kids, and only that many for the sake of repopulating. A lot of humans out there aren't replacing themselves, either because they're too busy eking out their existence, getting killed young, or being one of a small handful of believers in species suicide. There's not that many people willing to just spend all day breeding.

That's actually a good idea. The refugee thing. I'll work on that.

I have two versions of my creation myth and no-one is quite sure which is true;

In the beginning there was a fire, burning hot with rage and war. This fire burned so hot and so large that it formed itself. It named itself Kharol'ek.

Kharol'ek thirsted for war and power, he destroyed the Universe and reforged it in his own image. He created The First Men, large, crimson skinned and four armed. They could only see war and murder and hate. The First Men fought for millenia as Kharol'ek watched, he feasted on their hatred.

>This is where the two theories split; The first is about The Mother Kharrellia;

The First Men wiped eachother out, every single one destroyed and Kharol'ek felt something. A saddness that he had never felt before in all of creation. This paternal saddness caused a spark in the sky. A light. Kharrellia was born. A Goddess of Motherly Love, Kindness, Marriage.

Kharol'ek saw her beauty and was amazed. The two were married and together they birthed The Second Men, the Humans, Elves and Dwarves we see today. It is rumoured that Orcs descended from the First Men.

>The other version is slightly different.

The First Men's war was not for Hatred or Bloodlust like the Kharrellians tell you; they were combatting the Abyss, the endless darkness that existed before the Fire was created.

It was then that Kharrellia was born, tossed from the Abyss. She created so called "Second Men", agents of the Abyss.

The First Men went into hiding; knowing that they would awaken one day and do Kharol'eks Will, destroy the Universe once more to be reclaimed and reforged.

>Both
Kharrellia used the godly might of Kharol'ek to sire the Second Men since the First Men were too powerful to bring armies from the Abyss to the material realm?

Been flipping through everyone's settings, but I figured yours was the only worth replying to.

And "no"; I'm not the same poster trying to samefag in order to make his own post look good.

Y'all stick too much to WoW and Tolkien shit. If someone had told me that the last 5 High-Fantasy settings were all written by the same user, and if I didn't know what Veeky Forums was, I would honestly, not even "le ebin meeming", 100% be legitimately convinced that your settings were all written by the same guy.

You guys can do better.

If you say so

I think you fail to grasp genre as a concept.

You sound like a guy that would lurk in the old Civ generals harping on anyone that tried to run anything that wasn't inspired by dadaism

I don't even understand how you would run a civ game based on Dadaism.

>Prey 2
What could have been

No one did.

He would always post this saying it was infinitely better than "repeating Tolkien and WoW shit" and just could not take any criticism to it.

If you ever find someone that was a Civ game person, just ask about the horror of the Myrmidon. He was either a janitor or friends with one cause anyone that would tell him to shut up or disagreed with him inevitably got temp-banned

Oh shit the same guy that would create threads and throw fits when people didn't like his Dungeons and Dadaragons thing?
Didn't he also do that Uguumon thing?

I'm the guy you accused of being that Myrmidon guy.

Which one was your setting? I didn't even get through half of the thread before I made that first post. Maybe yours is different and I'll actually like yours or something.

(To be fair, the picture you provided seems original, at the very least, but I have no idea what the fuck is going on. I guess it COULD be a potentially good setting if you knew what you were doing. I honestly don't know what's so incredibly bad about it, and this is an outside opinion from someone who doesn't go into /civ/ threads. I swear to Christ I'm not that Myrmidon guy.)

I didn't say you were him, just the lumping Tolkien and Wow together as shit sounded just like him.

But I won't disagree that my setting does have some WoW influence

I think someone actually did take that chart and ran a decently successful thread to prove to the Myrmidon guy that he was just shit at storytelling

Well, if that is meant to be truly Dadaist, it is not a setting. It's an anti-setting. Nothing will make sense, things will be totally irrational and disjointed. Ultimately, non of it will make sense and it will only serve as some form of protest against more commonly accepted standards of normalcy.

In that sense, yes it would kind of align with you. But only in some much that it also serves to complain about the stagnation of settings.

I've come to believe that shitposting has become almost a neodadaism but that's a topic for another thread lol

I just looked up the definition of Dadaism and I decided, "Nah, fuck that Myrmidon guy".

Dadaism sounds retarded as fuck.

There is not exactly a coherent extabilished creation myth, but I've fleshed out the apocalypse myth.

The fact is, the apocalypse should have occourred around 150 years ago. Pretty standard stuff, the mortal in their hubris tried to reach the gods, instead pulling down them to the mortal realm and opening the gates to the 4 horseman of the apocalypse.

But!

The Cirali, a now-extinct population that was described as a mix of a gnome and a squirrel, decided to stop the coming apocalypse.

They forged a "Realmscape", a living map of the world, and chained existence as a whole to this artifact. They then scattered each piece of the map to the region it represented (there are around 16 of them in this continent, more to come). Creating the Realmscape basically "burned off" the entire species, so that they became infertile and had their remaining lifespan greatly decreased. In 10-20 years, none of the Cirali remained alive.

Meanwhile the Realscape(s), being sort of sentient, started to attract "guardians", on whom the Realmscape fragments bestowed powers as long as their where in their proximity (defined as the area depicted on that particular fragment).

Lastly, with the gods dead or missing, clerical magic went rampant. Churches now do not depend on approval from an outherwordly entity, and clerics get their powers by their inner faith, regardless of adherence to the church tennents. The fact that gods are no more is not widely known, at least in human society, and those who know it tend to remain secretive about it. It is believed that, with all the divine power coursing through the land, it may be possible to trigger a divine ascension.

Lastly, the 4 hourseman where severed from their power during the creation of the Realmscape, and reduced to wraith-like spirits. They started corrupting individuals pertinent to their area of influence, hoping to birth a being capable of channeling their power and actually unleashing the apocalypse

Rather than being concerned with being original you should be concerned with being good.

This.

>Everything has already been done. It is the challenge of the creator to make it enjoyable and good.

Domus is your native plane, it is comprised of an inumerable amount of twisting vallies and craggy mountains. Nights are long and the rosy sun spends its scant hours edging along dark peeks and casting long shadows over this plane's many denizens. To outsiders it is called the Plane of Battle and Revelations, it's claim to fame being that it was once targeted by the armies of hell for invasion in the previous era and the following intercession by the Pinnacle God of Caelest Summa.

Since then many rulers have risen and fallen but unwavering faith in Caelest Summa has endured. Caelestian crusaders conquered most of the known world in the name of the Light, the church splintered four decades ago following a bitter dispute over which bloodlines were truly anointed by the gods. High King of the East, Gariden Dysurg has claimed the holy city of Apex and has declared a second great crusade, to purge all affronts to the gods and crush his still living rivals. Across the many shadows of Domus though there are many paltry rulers, zealous armies, embittered heroes, and hellish invaders either living in fear of God and their saints or fighting tirelessly to please them.

Undead dwell in Domus too, those who have been blessed or cursed with the fate of the everliving to never climb the peaks of Caelest Summa or trudge the fiery pits of Brimstone. Such abominations would be unheard of were it not for the actions of six humans during the first invasion of Domus. They were kings, chieftains, and mystics who betrayed the world of Domus in order to learn the art of magic from their demonic invaders. They are called the Six Betrayers by the Caelestian church and all schools of magic are derived from the secrets gifted to each of them, necromancy being one of the most foul. Their names are forbidden and while the utility of magic is appreciated by most it's dark origins make most spellcasters somewhat feared.