Guess what time it is!

Guess what time it is!

5:43, where I am.

Time to open Conspiracy 2 packs without drafting?

Fallen Empires was the first booster sets I bought. Or maybe The Dark.

Only if you make me.

>Fallen Empires was the first booster sets I bought.
You got ripped off. Would have been cheaper to wait til now to buy them.

OK

so

accounting for inflation
they are 62ยข more expensive today

but that's *basically* cheaper.

>my old FLGS when I was in college sold FE packs for like $1 a piece

It's funny how they smelled a lot different from modern MTG cards.

Time for a second go

>He pulled the most expensive card from Fallen Empires

Ayyyyy

I personally like to run 1 of each art in decks that have them

Guess what?

One thing I actually wish they brought back from Fallen Empires is multiple art for each common.

And I am going to draft tomorrow night at fnm.

(USER WAS MAZED FOR THIS POST)

>Soul Exchange
I have never known this existed until now. Thanks OP.

Yeah, that would be pretty sweet. Too bad its unlikely.

You're welcomed.

>90s magic set
>375 million cards printed
>any good card in that set would be guaranteed to be cheap pretty much forever
>there's only like two
If they had just shown some foresight and massively overprinted, I dunno, Revised instead the eternal formats would be much healthier. I bet Maro did this.

Eyyy, the powerful rare that you literally absolutely can't use outside of a draft environment. It's a good thing cubes are as common as they are now because otherwise, the fuck would you do with it.

Because over printing was a big problem.
Gonna do a cube for my home meta.

FUCK

My camera refuses to cooperate.

Why even crack them? The boosters look nice and the contents are worthless. Every good card is a common.

Every prior set was under-printed. Fallen Empires was the first set printed in huge numbers and they made a mistake in the opposite direction. The packs were still dirt cheap when I got into Magic years later. I bought tons of it for that reason. Plus the art and lore is top notch.

hammertime?

Some company, I guess it'd have to be Ultra Pro, could totally do sleeves with art on the back that matched the changed colors of some of these older sets and make some nice money. I'd buy the fuck out of them.

Just imagine a whole deck sleeved that looked like card backs done Ice Age style. Mmm.

At least you got a Prison

Dragon dildos

FLGSs (et al.) over-ordered every set up through Fallen Empires as a way of trying to get enough cards through the under-printing.
The printer's throughput improved just before Fallen Empires and WotC took the opportunity to overprint their orders to preemptively avoid running out.

Shit hit the fan between the stores over-ordering, WotC over-printed the inflated orders, and the packs not moving.

>they don't even eat the draft-matters slot

And now?

Fallen Empires is my favorite set.

I remember 5 or 6 years ago, me and my friends got our hands on an Empires booster box from a yard sale for $5, and held a small 6-man draft tournament. The entire time was full of people saying "well...it's not *terrible*...", coupled with surprise when we drew the legitimately good cards that Empires contributed to Magic, like Hymn to Tourach and High Tide.

That same draft allowed me to finish collecting the entire set. To date it's the only Magic set for which I have every card.

Fallen Empires is exactly what happens when a set is released with every good card at common. People complain that it sucks and no one buys it because you can get the singles for cents.

Also Goblin Grenade. Also the pump knights used to be considered good.

Yeah, apparently new players are too stupid to handle two versions of the same card.

>Tidal Influence

Man

These cards may have been pretty bad but some are pretty fucking cool

I'm stealing a lot of the flavor for my own setting, including a race of Ogres who powered their artifacts by shoving souls into them.

>Fallen Empires is exactly what happens when a set is released with every good card at common.
No, Fallen Empires is what happens when they grossly overprint a set.
> People complain that it sucks and no one buys it because you can get the singles for cents.
This sounds like something MaRo would say to justify absurdly strong, meta bending mythics existing along with "muh draft".

Fallen Empires has been maligned as one of the worst sets ever printed for decades now. It isn't. It was usually mentioned along with Homelands (a legit terrible set). It is entirely because of the ease of acquisition of everything good in the set that the opinion exists. There's more playable cards in Fallen Empires than the Dark, but the Dark never had that terrible reputation.

Who cares about idiots and their wrong opinions? It's the rarity being tied to powerlevel bullshit in newer sets that is hurting this game.

It's not a new player issue. It's an invested player issue because they rarely read the cards but rather just memorise them based on their art.

That's largely because Fallen Empire was overprinted to a ridicilous degree. You used to be able to find boxes of it just standing around in stores up until a few years ago.

You still can in some places

What else was overprinted?
Chronicles?

Hymn! Now you're done buying Fallen emps.

Heyyyyyy that looks pretty gooooooooood

Best art Hymn, too.

>pump knight
fuk year

>wizard hymn
fuk year

More than having decent cards, it even has decent cards in each color - Night Soil, Goblin Grenade, Icatian Javelineers, High Tide, and Hymn to Tourach.

I had a Thrull deck back in high school. It got swiped during my senior year. That pissed me off, and a few years later I sold off my card collection.

I'm pretty sure bitching collectors and slightly lower profit margins are the issue. They did a lot of alt-art prerelease shit during Khans block.

Definitely. Ice Age, Born of the Gods, arguably RtR, Gatecrash, Dragon's Maze, some of the core sets (especially pre-M10), Betrayers, Saviors. A lot of this has to do with lower interest during Summer, but shit EV and limited environments matter too.