The Official MTG Snowstorm/Lore Thread

Welcome to the MTG flake/lore thread!
Last Thread:Previously: Desperate levels of life support, serious masochism, deep insight into the afterlife

Writefagging last time: What does this look like, a flake thread?

If you want ANYTHING to go in the repo, just summon me. Otherwise I will only put writefagging and sheets in the repo.

Also, I added the blank template to the ALL FLAKESHEETS folder. And the old snowsheets are under "Snowstorm sheets" > "1- ALL FLAKE SHEETS."

To summon me simply say
>OP OP, I SUMMON THEE. PLACE THIS FILE IN THE REPOSITORY.
Unless that's too gay.

>Current Repository

drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1jSIpLoSNIOJAKPRoku8BOqVneF5NjKVumfla0r0AVLs/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yey!

Psst, hey
when is he going in the flake sheet?

When this sheet is purged and a new one is made, the latest flakes who aren't on this sheet will probably be the first ones on the next. So VtS, Thane, probably Ussa and RFA's vampire bitch, plus all of Bradford's guys are probably bound for the new sheet for example.

The difficulty is that flakes often drive the snow user to drink.

CONFOUND THOSE SNOWFLAKES
THEY DRIVE ME TO DRINK

You try it.
Fun fact. The first snow user became plague lord.

Can I get a list of the flakes that have been made since the last update? I was thinking of starting the newt sheet.

>I was thinking of starting the newt sheet.
Was that intentional?

Well, here's Thane.
He's probably about to drop the black for blue if that affects the sheet at all.

No, and I can't even blame autocorrect this time
I really have cock on my face

bwoop

Real life kicked me in the dick but I'm back. Just in time for the end of the storm, apparently.

Aaaaand bwoop.

Praea is a Snowstorm 1 holdover so you've already got her.

I never exceptionally like the demon thing.
Blue fingers still a cute though.

Flakesheet color template

Ohey, it's this. Are we trying this again? Is that just for new flakes?

I'm going to try and do it.

Let me just re-post this then...

One last checkerino before bed time!

Senpai noticed me!

I'll add it to my list of stuff to do tomorrow. I finally have a free day!

Bump.

It's interesting to note how completely robotic the gargantua looks in its art. Do you think if the card was made in this day and age by the team as they are currently rather than as they were back then, it would have been a colored artifact creature rather than a normal black creature?

?

Like, obviously mechanical creatures nowadays are designed as artifacts regardless of whether or not they are colored because the concept of colored artifacts has already been established during the alara block. What I'm asking is, if creatures like the gargantua, which were made before colored artifacts were a thing and its black coloring was more important than its mechanical nature, didn't exist and were made now, after the convention of colored artifacts was established, would they have been made colored artifact creatures rather than just colored creatures?

That's phyrexian and phyrexian stuff was mostly black back in the days. If you do a gatherer research real quick, you'd notice there were very few artifact phyrexian creatures- we are talking something like ten or so. Old Phyrexia is all about modifying living creautres, without necessarily making them full artifacts (although, the theme of artificial implements is consistent in them) and card-wise was all about black. So the line between black creature and artifact creature gets very blurry with old Phyrexia, and I think back in the days they didn't really WANT TO make many artifact creatures. Funny thing is, no, Phyrexian Gargantua was reprinted, and looks like an horrible walking nightmare of flesh and purple tentacles. Probably they changed the art to avoid that exact question: why is this not an artifact creature? So, issue addressed by Wizard itself.

Oh, I am fully aware of old phyrexia cards and of gargantua's new art, I was more trying to discuss how fluff and crunch, and the interaction between have changed from then to now. I think, if the current standards and concepts were applied to the development process of old phyrexia, many of the colored normal creatures would be colored artifact creatures, just as many colored artifacts now would have either been colorless, or nonartifact had they been made back then. The concept of colored artifacts was a pretty impressive door-opening move on magic's part in regards to future developments in phyrexian creatures, and I think the idea of colorless nonartifacts, while currently almost exclusively eldrazi, will yield neat ideas in the future as well. What big changes to magic and the interaction between fluff and crunch have you noticed over the course of magic's evolution? The grand creature type update is certainly one.

I get the feeling that they didn't want a faction to be "artifact faction" back then. Maybe they thought it would lead it to lose personality, maybe because Invasion came after a very artifact-heavy set like Urza's, and Invasion's theme was all about colors. Maybe they were also afraid artifacts, being easily cast without any color being needed, would have been too strong if they were to release too many of them. it isn't uncommon for old artifacts to be grossly overpriced, probaly to counter the lack of colored mana in their cost- mana fix was not as prominent in the days of yore aside from alpha lands.
After mirrodin they grew much more relaxed with artifacts overall. To the point of releasing artifacts with color in their cost- which probably means they went past the idea that the strenght of aritfacts was in their casting cost (or at least that there was the BIGGEST strenght of artifacts) and realized it came mostly form the simple interactions of the Artifact type.
But I could be wrong.

I personally think that the reason they didn't make many of the phyrexians artifacts was simply because phyrexia had to be the important black faction, and they had simply never thought "wait, what if we make some of them artifacts but ALSO black?" Not that they didn't want to make an all-artifact faction, but that at that point in time it had never occurred to them to do something so outlandish. Artifacts at this point in time were represented by a solid, thick dark color representing either rust or dark stone, and at the time multicolored things were still a pretty hot gimmick, albeit not as rare as they once were, so mixing the idea of "artifact" which had its own perceived immutable pseudocolor identity with legitimate color beyond its abilities would have been pretty out there an idea for the time. Alara was an impressive groundbreaker with its introduction of colored artifacts not only as a concept, but as an entire faction. I wonder how long it will be before we look back on Theros in similar light?

No one is going to look back upon Theros and think anything other than "Fuckin' Bile Blight."

I'm going to look back and think "fishtits fought titfish. heh", but other than that I agree in how unremarkable it was.

I see thy point, but I wouldn't know if agreeing or not- mostly because we have no way to actually get final answer going just by supposition. I don't think they didn't THINK of artifact faction, I think they didn't want to have one. Weird enough, the Thran as well were blue rather than artifact.
Going by a quick search in the gatherer actually, there is a sudden shift from "artifact phyrexia" to "black phyrexia" just after the Ice Age block, which means that phyrexia became black-centered when it became a definite black faction of horror, zombies and minions instead of "robot from another world wreckin' our shit".

I honestly hope we never look back at Theros with any favor. I think it completely failed in conveying an an actual sense of greek mythology, and instead just looked and sounded like some hollywood movie or cheap series loosely based on ancient greek myths and as much as Lucy lawless arouses me, no. That was supposed to be srs bsnss, not Xena.
But this is jsut me being overly butthurt cause historyfag and all.

>thy
Also I liked Theros because it wasn't just Greek myths everywhere.
Also the uncharted realms were pretty good.

Tastes, I guess. I would have liked something more on the line of Kamigawa when it comes to flavor- and I reckon a lot of people didn't like Kamigawa back then, although that was more because they really fucked up mechanically on a bunch of things. It's the same complaint for both theros and kahns really- pretty much everything is stereotyped to the pop culture version on it. Kinda don't like this approach.

...though now that I give it a look the UR were kinda ok. Not good, not bad.
Conspiracy 2, conspiracy 2 I like, on a flavor point of view. I get the feelings it takes the right amount of historical references but builds something interesting over it. Been waiting this Italian set for a while...
...and then... you give me a set that's not even legal in half the formats. T-thanks wotc, that is exactly what I wanted...

>Complaining about Commander Masters
lookit this pleb

I mean it's cool but I run MonoB commander so it is fuckign nothing!

There was also when people who weren't into japanese mythology got confused and unimmersed

>mono b
>not having multiple commander decks.

All my commander decks include white, none of them include black. I'm just racist like that.

How I said, tastes. That's just my two cents.
>literally hitler
I am not a rich person and my money rarely goes to magic. Hance, only one commander and only one color to avoid expensive dual lands.

Also, black has the sexiest angels. Deal with it.

Sexy black angels?

Literally the best of ALL worlds.
Also pro white to defend herself against angel hitlers such as you.

What, you mean Crypt Angel?

Man, card design got a little weird back then. Whose idea was it to make a mono-black angel with pro white whose job is to support the ally colors?

No idea, but still one of my favorite angel. I stil am not sure if it is supposed to be a phyrexian angel or some sort of urborg-corrupted angel. Supporting allied colors tho well ,that's what Invasion was all about, remember the X-scape mages and the emissaries cicles?
And anyway every time you see something weird in mtg, remember Homeland and Legends have been a thing. On SOME things wizard has indeed improved a lot.

I'm a wage slave at Target and I have multiple decks from my collection and occasionally by more expensive pieces.

Yeah ok man, not everyone wants to spend all their money on magic. What is the problem in playing only what you can afford? Magic is an hobby for me ,after all, and not somethign I do competitively.

I get that, just giving you a hard time for being mono black.

>mfw when the white privilege is not as much of a thing as is the Bluearchy
Fantasy racism is as cruel as it is colorful.

I'm red for life.

Wolololo

I used to play mostly red, and got the most mileage in competetive with it, but once you go black you never go back...
...well damn son, well played.

You like that bbd?

What, big black Demon? Of course, I always make sure to have one in my hand.

No not that
Big
Black
D_ck

Big Black Duck?

I dunno, duck look like a Blue thing. As much as I enjoy my Cruel Control decklist, there is no ducks there. Or is that the new codename for Rakkor?

Obviously he's saying
Big
Black
Deck
I mean, 100 cards makes for a pretty big stack to most non-EDH player's eyes. Especially when it's all sleeved up.

Huh, spoilers completely failed to go off in that post.

Ah well yeah I can totally confirm, my Sidisi EDH is pretty tall and heavy, also cause I use pretty fancy sleeves on it.
Test test, cause they failed in mine too

Yeah, all properly sleeved up a good black deck is usually pretty thick too. It might be hard for some people to hold it all with one hand. Especially if you're playing with a black commander like Kaalitas, since he likes to bring a whole gang of tokens with him to join in on the fun.

Just got back from FNM, Conspiracy is pretty cool. acquired new waifu.

>waifu
I see no Marchesa, what are you on about?

>supporting that regicidal tart instead of the just and upstanding captain of the guard
Pah. Next thing you know, these people will be throwing their lots in with the goblins!

So she'll go crazy next conspiracy set?

Yeah, then smoosh into her sister and become a spaghetti monster.

Nah, she's going to become a tyrant and then jace will kill her.

>Become a tyrant
Why, she's already a tyrant! Murdered the Eternal King, she did!

My buddy pulled a Marchesa, Kaya, two Inquisitions, and Adriana.

If your flake got one wish, what would they wish for?

See, that's interesting in regards to my flake. Because of the way he works, if given enough time, he can get whatever he wishes for, so honestly I think he'd only wish for less time spent between him wanting and him getting.

For this storm to end.

Starke would wish to bring her friend who got killed because of her back
Jorge would wish for his clan to be brought back.
Anna has gotten to the point where she decided her previous self was a shitter, so maybe a good burger?
Hondick wishes to find some Phyrexians
The Cathar wishes to get Daisy back
Newt's good, she doesn't trust things claiming to be in charge.

Ayyyy

>Serena wishes for Avacyn to come back
>Wish is twisted somehow, either Avacyn comes back as the Purifier or as some kind of zombie angel.
Never accept wishes. Just look at spooder mom.

>Avacyn comes back
oh yes, this is a concept that is fun to play with

I like the idea of a DFC that is an Urn with her ashes in on the front size and her resurrected on the rear.

The absolute best flavour win for me would be if the flip trigger was 'Fateful hour', I know it's a mechanic that will never be seen again but the idea that when the need is greatest Avacyn rises again is pretty neato.

So this, then.

That doesn't work as the flip side only exists when it is transformed on the battlefield so you couldn't return her with that.

That's a single sided card that can only be cast from the graveyard, dude, not a flip card.

1 the lack of mana cost and indicator circle show it is the back side.
If you want do that, it would use Startled Awake's formatting.

I'll take the formatting tip, but why would anyone ever post just the back side of a double faced card? Plus, it lacks the dfc symbol in the upper left.

I don't know, but the lack of cost and the color circle before the creature type is something that appears exclusively on the backs of DFCs

The color circle is there because it's an automatic function of MSE to show that a card, despite having no mana cost, is still colored. Also, incorrect. Lotus Bloom is not a double faced card, yet lacks a mana cost.

Ok, so it doesn't have a cost or suspend cost.
Why didn't you put a cost in?

The color indicator is something they've added to everything that lacks a mana cost, and things that doin't have mana costs have been printed before. Basically you have to cheat it onto the battlefield or use it's abilities to get it out.
An example to show he did it right.

Because you can't cast it normally. That's the point of the card.

Because it can't be cast. Only put onto the battlefield from the graveyard.
Even a 0 in the cost means it could be cast, while a suspend spell is still cast.

Ok, I get that now. Still don't like it a whole lot.

>Remes
He's a coward. His wish is for immortality, because then he could continue doing his work without the looming fear of death. Which is foolish on his part, because he knows there are other fates out there that are worse.

>Cala
"I wish that I knew everything."
And that's how we get a second firemind.

>Jakrol
Power, probably. Which he would enjoy until he realized just how hollow his life actually is, eventually drinking his way to his end.

>Winifred
A book of spells that can give her information on any spell that she needs or wants to know. She can already live forever as long as she isn't murdered, so why not expand your terrible options?

>Wyston
For peace and prosperity to reign in the land for all time.

>Leon
At the end of the Battle of Thraben? Probably just to go home again, where the worst he had to deal with was potentially running an empire.
>Maxwell
Fame and fortune. which he would enjoy for a while before figuring out that performing is something he loves more than money.
>Yao Shen
A great beast to slay. He's a simple man. He kills things.

>docs.google.com/document/d/1jSIpLoSNIOJAKPRoku8BOqVneF5NjKVumfla0r0AVLs/edit?usp=sharing
As promised before RL shit pulled me away, Praea/Bluefingers lewds. Contains rampant lesbianism and gentle femdom.
Not so much hardcore fucking as just bouncing the characters off each other in a lewd situation. That's more fun to me.

Also I have a new flake but I'm hesitant to post a sheet for her so close to the end of the storm. Should I just wait for the next?

Possibly best to just save it? It's pretty spoopy though.

Also that card is hilariously bad, like Tibalt bad.

Those abilities seem really monoblack.

I think we can all agree that it was the blade of a deranged assassin to do the deed, a person with no proved link to Marchesa. Long live the Queen.
>Murdock
She would be tempted to ask for a peaceful life in a small plane where planeswlakers can't reach...only to set up for somehing more malicious like the sudden death of everyone who wronged her or that even as much as tried to get near Diomedes senpai.

>what is your wish
ANGELS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

And that's how SOI happened.

SOI was an inside job
#MurdocksCanMeltAngelDreams

And there is when she sits down on an armchair made of Belloski's skin, sips the finest of angel tears and chuckles.

J-just according to k-keikaku.

[Muffled Diomedes calling "NERD" from outside the manor window]

>not Serena wanting to see Bruna and Gisela "get together".