EDH/Commander General

Cantrip tribal edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/maziwreck-the-directors-cut/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zurgos-weapons-of-mass-destruction-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/godos-powerviolence-concert/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Haste on a Blue/White effect? Guess the color pie went out the window

1st for gruul barbarian roleplay

Where have you been for the last few years

What's some baller green shit for Xenagod

I'm going to be converting my Zirilan deck into Xenagos soon

All the BFZ land animating cards gave haste to avoid weird situations with lands that you just played being unusable in case you awakened it.

Haste for Awaken is a mechanical thing. It was centered in WU I assume because they're +1/+1 counters alongside green and because Awaken is suited for control colors

I felt bad against a friend of mine who tried this guy his first time

>chooses Noyan
>I choose Oona thinking he'd be able to counter plenty, which is ok because it's a test run for his deck anyway
>End up setting up her combo while Traumatizing him before turn 7ish
>Oona ability+strionic resonator+ashnod's altar+phyrexian altar+ Basalt Monolith for 2minutes
>he scoops
>tell him I'll pick something else
>says "nah," I think I'll just dismantle it
>we play again with different decks

fug

I want to build Noyan Dar because he's so unique and fun but but man it doesn't feel worth it.

I think it's just sort of a hassle to have to play a land and then turn it into something. Why bother manipulating lands when you can power creature that have unique abilities when you cast them?

His ability is pretty useless when compared to the dozens of other UW commanders out there.

Best BU commander coming through.

I think the idea is that you'd play a control deck where your spells become threats so you can just play all answers and build your threat from them but it's not a great plan on a 5 drop.

His ability is detrimental. With all the board wipe in EDH, it's basically playing land destruction on yourself.

You know what? I'm not going to dismantle Godo. Fuck it, I'm going to make him as balls-deep rawdog fuck you up as I can. Gonna save and get them good mana rocks, Gauntlets, the Swords, a Jitte all that shit

I want to annihilate motherfuckers with this deck

I agree

He's ok

just gonna name some cards you probably want:

Hydra Omnivore
Bane of Progress
Pathbreaker Ibex
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Somberwald Sage

you didn't ask for red cards but you deffo want scourge of the throne and probably malignus too

maybe want:

Gruul Ragebeast
Siege Behemoth
Avoid Fate
Rancor
Momentous Fall

also, xenagos loves pump spells that double power or give double strike, so consider those too

Momentous Fall
Blood Frenzy
Fatal Frenzy
Grab the Reins
Rush of Blood
Stonewood Invocation
Temur Battle Rage
Soul's Fire

Made a few changes. Thoughts?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/maziwreck-the-directors-cut/

Anyone have play experience with Edric? I'm curious why it's so popular to run tiny and/or otherwise 'trash' creatures with him. Just that effective to portray yourself as too small to bother with immediately?

I have a Scourge in Zirilan but these are much appreciated, thanks mane

It's really the same with any creature. You can just throw all the counters on one land, and it's not really a big deal unless they're blowing up a bunch of individual land creatures. The problem is individual creatures actually do things by themselves. White can give the creature indestructible with like one card and blue can make it fly but its not worth it and without that stuff its just a big dumb dude that yeah just gets blown up and makes you lose a land for no good reason.

Looks good, thought about adding the Filth+Brawn+Tomb of Yawgmoth combo at all?

As far as I know Edric is actually best when built around with trash flying men. You could just build a generic ug deck I suppose but I'd assume it's worse than actively building for his ability.

Putrefax
Greater Good
Green Ramp
Brawn
Kalonian Hydra
Giant Adephage
Overwhelming Stampede
Triumph of the Hordes

An army of 1-drop and 2-drop evasive fuckers coupled with potentially massive card draw on combat damage is a scary thing to face down

Stick with what you love, user, good on you

That's dirty

I have thought about it but my group runs alot of target specific land destruction so I feel urborg would get blown away before I could use it. Forgot about brawn, I'll have to find room for it

I'd like to make an artifact-based deck, and im having trouble deciding which direction to go in, as I've never done this before.
So far, Muzzio, Pia and Kiran, and Kurkesh have my interest, as i like interesting interactions.
Suggestions? Anything i should avoid? Commanders that do a better job or are more fun?

You don't like playing dirty with Xenagod or in EDH?

Ah I see, looks good. Makes me want to build one for my Mazirek but I already have a Meren and there are other decks I want to build. Your deck has given me ideas though.

forgot to mention Terastodon and Assault Strobe

i'm just listing off cards i have in my 130 dollar xenagos deck, so mine are mostly cheapos. there are a bunch of cards that help you cheat fatties into play so consider those too, although i can't name any besides Tooth and Nail

You've made peace with yourself, and in doing so, discovered what EDH means to you.
Well done.

Best mono red artifact commander is daretti but I don't think you're a faggot so you wouldn't play him. Arcum daggson is the best U artifact commander I've been told but never seen him in action. If you want best of both worlds you could do Jhoira or Keranos.

Infect seems unfair in edh, but odds are you'll lose to it at one point or another. Unless your group has a mutual agreement to not use it, you may as well.

Here's my take on it:
>Muzzio
Powerful, especially with Brainstorm and Scroll Rack, Top and Soothsaying. Can function without it's commander.

>P&K
Removal and goodstuff.dec, get value saccing Wurmcoils, Basilisk Collar is good.

>Kurkesh
Powerful interactions if he sticks, left with a bunch of mediocre and overcosted artifacts if he doesn't

There are actually quite a few

This one is particularly silly

>soothsaying
How have i never seen this card before holy shit thank you user

Wait, wait.
This and Greater Good.
uuuuuh
I must be missing something important, this seems absurd

Infect is basically just commander damage (or rather its probably the reverse), except infect is only on shit creatures.

>want to make a deck
>have all my cards in front of me
>can't find the will to make a deck

Soothsaying is an MVP in my Melek deck

I don't think so. Sac something with Deathrender equipped, put something in, draw a bunch of cards (plus 2 extra from Deathrender buff), then discard 3 cards

Then do it again if you want

THEN YOU ARE LOST

I avoided building Meren just for the reason of her being what she is. She's a nice commander but I would never get her to make a difference with my group, might try her as the 99 in mimeoplasm

Pretty much. I feel burnt out but not

This is the best one

>just for the reason of her being what she is
one of the most played commanders in all time?

Mimeoplasm with her in it is an interesting idea, though I feel mimeoplasm could get more from other cards. Meren just sort of becomes a big black hole of attention really.

yeah i was going to mention that but he asked for green cards

also that card is one of those "oops we made it too good" cards and it also costs like 30 bucks so it might not fit his group/budget

>one of the most played commanders in all time?

Exactly so I didn't want to become another Meren player, if not mimeoplasm what would you suggest? Shattergang Bros. could be goofy but might work

I have that in Zirilan too! It is stupid good, did R&D just not exist during Urza block?

I want to keep it around $200-300 budget-wise, luckily a few of the expensive pieces are things I already own

No no keep the Mimeoplasm. I'm just saying in general Meren brings so much attention to herself and does so much already if you have the synergy in the deck for her to be used in the first place.

Shattergang can be very slow. 4 to cast and 3 for each ability can take a long while to get going

The Theros enchantment creatures can put in work though, and the Innistrad curses in those colors are fucking hilarious. Drop some and start playing mob boss in exchange for "favors"

I absolutely do not know which Artifact Commander deck to make.

Muzzio seems really fun
Sharuum is badass and has a well-known wincon
Memnarch seems really fun too

Noyan dar is actually not that bad, he IS heavy build around, but as a WU control deck he can work

You're definitely gonna want terra eternal and a few other effects to protect your lands (Teferi's response is a terrible card that actually works amazingly well when you're animating lands)

But besides that you just need to play smart with him, definitely put the counters on a single land rather than multiple to avoid getting blown out by board wipes

Inkmoth nexus with Noyan dar is actually no joke, my friend kills people with it pretty frequently

Mishra shenanigans can be very fun. And it's in some of the best colors for artifacts.

Wait for Kaladesh/Aether Revolt and see what we get

Believe me I'm in the same boat

Personally I like sharuum best because esper is cool and even when you're not comboing with blood artist + sculpting steel I enjoy recursion abilities like hers

I'm not a huge fan of muzzio cuz he just seems like the shitty version of arcum daggson

Memnarch is a fine choice but very very mana intensive which isn't my style really

Mishra does seem fun too

I was mulling over the same thing, probably the best idea.

Thanks for the input

Artifacts are fun, but waiting for Kaladesh is probably a good idea.

by the way, elvish piper can be pretty good in a xenagos deck.

if you don't need to swing at someone on your turn, you can play the piper, give it haste, use its ability, then play another creature in the second main phase. pretty easy way to cheat in stuff like Archetype of Endurance and so on

>inkmoth nexus noyan dar
hilarious

The color pie exists to help design, but design is not chained to the pie. With out haste you have the question "what land did I play this turn, does my land a permanent that does not typically have summoning sickness have it?"

Design's job is to make the game intuitive and fun. Giving haste to remove what will be an obnoxious problem is good design. It anticipated a problem and prevented it. Color pie is a guideline not a sacred cow.

>mfw using coax from blind eternities to grab Aeon's Torn

Is this a completely legal move or am I cheating asshole

Depends on your group

If they go with "outside the game=sideboard" then yes you're an asshole, but otherwise I guess anything goes

Ask your playgroup

Anybody else have trouble taking out foils from your deck even if they aren't really optimal?

I have FTV avacyn in my captain sisay deck and I find myself almost never casting it, not because I don't have the mana but because it doesn't actually do much in my meta

I can't imagine taking it out though

No sideboards exist in EDH, and therefore grabbing cards from outside the game will always be cheating under the current rules. Some groups can houserule to make it legal, though.

Just picked up that Premade nekusar edh box

Any tips on how to improve it?

I'm talking about for a LGS, my group doesn't have a problem with, had a who used a wish to grab balance.

Well that's a shame

Not really, efficiency is more important than whether or not a card in my deck is foil.

Sucks, but hey if it doesn't go anywhere else it is something I can trade for something I will use down the line.

I actually dislike foils (though not enough to avoid using good cards of course), so it's not a problem for me.

I guess if its an EDH night,ask the owner before you do, or if its just randos ask before hand I guess

Why?

I'll be the outlier. Yes, for the more sentimental types, its tough to take out foils, even if they are sub-optimal. I agree.

Yeah I should've rephrased that it's not just about any old foil, I really love Angels (I bought FTV Angels lol) and avacyn and it's an iconic legendary in a goddamn legendary creatures deck

It's just that in my meta, it's all cyc rift and toxic deluge, no wrath of God, and my friend stopped playing his MLD deck too

If it's a pet card type of sorts, why not make angel tribal to support your love of it? Or just avacyn at the helm of another deck?

Oh same, I have a few foils I cant bear to cut

On an unrelated note, how do you feel about Gold Bordered cards? I'm fine with them myself and run a gold bop since I got it for a buck a while back

>that feel when I run sub optimal cards just because they're foil
There is no way deadly wanderings will ever be viable for anything.

You can run a foil Lone Revenant with it too
>all by my seeeeellllllllf

This card is a riot

It either backfires horribly or it hits the jackpot and ends up winning you the game, there's no in between

Not him but my reason for disliking foils is just how fragile they hard compared to nonfoils, even double sleeved its almost impossible to keep them in pristine condition, it might be I'm just using shitty sleeves but there's my piece on it.

How can I make this list even tighter

I want to add in a lightning greaves but I'm not sure what to take out for it

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zurgos-weapons-of-mass-destruction-1/

I've thought about angel tribal before but it just doesn't make sense to me, angels are all clustered at the top end of the mana curve for one, and too many of my favorite Angels splash a color or two (sigarda, gisela, Aurelia, lightning angel)

I could make an avacyn commander deck perhaps, but I feel like I'd just run into the same problem of her not being great in my meta, but even more extreme if I'm going to build around her

Gold border cards seem perfect for edh, cheap and edh at you kitchen table is unsanctioned

Idk it sounds like most of the time it's going to be in between

>putting together a new deck
>somehow lost a Jace Beleren
Well this isn't good.

Favorite Jace

Before he became magics poster boy

The Lorwyn Five remain the most well-designed planeswalkers IMO

Strong but not super-busted and fit very well with their colors

post list

you may want to consider tossing in a scrap mastery, slobad, and Daretti. to help support artifacts. Goblin tinkerer, welding jar and trash for treasure are all great too.

If your goal is to load him up with equipment, you'll want a way to recuperate after that dickhead white player casts austere command.

My copy of Sliver Legion finally came in, so my Overlord EDH deck has everything it needs.

>The Lorwyn Five remain the most well-designed planeswalkers IMO
>Strong but not super-busted and fit very well with their colors

I think it's telling that even Richard Garfield didn't like planeswalkers as cards

Iirc Ajani was pretty busted for his time.

Found him. I was real worried there for a minute. Found an Arcanis too, didn't even know I owned one of him. Worth an include in Melek?

>do a lot of trading with strangers at LGS
>happy, got a lot of foils and staples i needed at fair exchanges
>get home later
>notice im now missing my only Nahiri, the Harbinger
>i didnt trade it

That's why I only bring a maximum amount of cards with me to a LGS that can fit in one box in one hand. So none of my cards are ever out of my sight

This is the current list

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/godos-powerviolence-concert/

It's explosive but that fuse can take a long while to ignite, I want it to be consistently fast

>Missing Nahiri, the Harbinger

Its a bad card anyways user. But it does suck to lose out on the money from it

What do you think of running all 6 Runes of Protection in Hanna?

Does playing Kruphix mean you're "that guy"?

Post your LGS house rules
>Commander can only be played as a league at the store
>Your deck must be composed of cards bought from the store either as singles or from packs , except for basics.
>There is a data sheet to keep track of everyone's card lists

Its pretty fun. The LGS is making extra cash and it creates a fun supply and demand system at the store. I monopolized Mirrorwing Dragon to fuck over the Zada player.

No, playing Zegana or Edric makes you "that guy".

Just don't find the visual effect particularly appealing.