/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Fresh Memes Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus or husbandos except for Crassius Curio, Yngling Half-Troll and Fargoth.
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AxaLGbTDcdQ
reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/2gr3w8/current_day_atmora_specific_questions_for_modding/ckmezwz
reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/2kbajo/compilation_of_mk_posts_for_the_span_of_last_7/
imperial-library.info/content/arcturian-heresy-0
reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/4zphms/song_of_the_dromathra/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Speak freely, friend

What Daedric Princes are 'safe' to deal with? Fyr only deals with Azura and Dagon but I can't imagine the latter being a safe option. Clavicus Vile is a no-go ofcourse, but wouldn't Hermaeus Mora be a good option? You could exchange knowledge for knowledge if you're a mage scholar type.

That makes me think, you know what would be cool? College of Winterhold makes a pact with Hermaeus Mora to pass on all their findings in exchange for a pocket realm of Apocrypha. There they are free to practice any kind of banned magic, and they can make special training setups. Think of floating targets to train destruction, caged animals to train illusion etc.

Does Tai Lopez worship Hermaeus Mora?

>What Daedric Princes are 'safe' to deal with?
None of them, strictly speaking.

3rd for the empire

Most, I reckon. See the guy who wanted a way to cure his daughter of lycanthropy, and was given an axe.

It's not what he asked for, but Clavicus didn't really fuck said guy nor his daughter.

In fact, most of the daedric princes seek for their own sphere to grow bigger, and for themselves to grow in power. Of course, they're petty and sadistic and like greek gods on crack, btu if you're careful and handle yourself correctly, the chance of dying is... Less.

Clavicus Vile is such an unoriginal cunt.

Want to cure lycantrophy? Get killed xD
Want to cure vampirism? Get killed xD

That's literally it. That's his special twist, the bad part of the deal, the little letters at the bottom of the contract: getting fucking killed. It's not even a proper solution as your soul is still claimed by Hircine and Molag Bal respectively.

Don't mind me, just checking

Tall Papa is Talos, right?

>/tgesg/ is finally back
Just another reason Friday is the best day of the week.
youtube.com/watch?v=AxaLGbTDcdQ

>Assassins Creed: Cyrodiil City
>Total War: Tamriel
>Ruler of Nirn (By Firaxis)
>Elder Scrolls 6: Elsweyr

Pick one

I know

>Fyr only deals with Azura and Dagon but I can't imagine the latter being a safe option.
Dealing with Dagon seemed to work out pretty well for the Mankar Camoran, until the PC cocked it up for him.

Duh

Elsweyr
Don't really care for the other games, though ASSCRED Cyrodiil is a close second

Maybe Azura. She cares about her followers (inb4 muh skin curse) and her afterlife sounds splendid.

Mora would probably drive you insane or turn you into an elf, and still views you as a pawn, but if you are fine with that, it's whatever.

Hircine is alright if you are fine with being a werewolf. Don't be surprised when you become the hunted, though, since that's just the natural way. You'd also have to be fine with that for all eternity.

Sheogorath can be pretty nice if you prefer insanity or already are insane. Mania in particular is very nice, and if you are lucky you end up with mental illness that doesn't ruin you life entirely, like Nymphomania or or an obsession with research.

Sanguine seems to be fairly safe, but it is easy to become lost in vice, and addiction can be pretty ugly. If you live in his realm and have an infinite supply of any pleasure, hopping realm to realm, it doesn't sound that bad as long as you don't step on any toes.

I choose Valenwood.

>tfw you travel into meridia's realm but forget to bring sunglasses

One of the Legends artists has put up some of his art.
Turns out he has done art for both GW and Fantasy Flight. He's skilled, but his style fits Star Wars and 40k better than it fits TES.

>Ulfric is mad that the western holds don't respect the ancient nordic tradition of usurpation of the throne through regicide
>He doesn't respect the western holds wanting to hold a Moot, which is also valid
this guy's a fucking hypocrite

It'd be soo boring, like any AC game

We know that plenty of Nordic ruins in Skyrim used to be settlements and not just barrows (Saarthal, half of the locations mentioned in Holdings of Jarl Gjalund) but how does that even work? Did ancient nords live underground like the dwemer did? I don't see how Saarthal, Korvanjund or Bromjunaar are nice places to live in.

They tore down the above ground buildings and built their houses elsewhere with the materials. The only things left are the catacombs

This has been your daily 100% bullshit theorycrafting for the day.
We don't actually know cause no one in bethesda thought about them

The Sims: Tamriel.

Hearthfire is likely as close as we'll ever get.

user, are you trying to tell me that Ulfric "MUH TALOS" Stormcloaca might be a bit unreasonable?

Malacath if you're an Orc or just because he's the most straightforward

Or Peryite

Perywho?

>Fitting an entire country into a space the size of a city park.

You only see the barrow, because that's all the game wants you to deal with.
If they had the game resources to do a 1:1 scale map of Tamriel, most of the ruins would have settlements at least close by. There'd also be dozens of villages surrounding the major cities, rather than just one or two quest relevant settlements.

>The god of "I'm going to kill you family to make you tough." and "If you cry I'm going to make your dick fall off and have you get eaten by wolves" and "Your brother is going to rule the family and you will die a pathetic whelp unless you murder him." is a good god to follow.
>The god of outcasts who likens his own people to ogres
>Whose weapon is the defender of the friendless.
Hell no.

Also, Peryite is mucho butthole. I'm not going to follow Nurgle and become a disgusting pustule ridden plague carrier for the janitor god.

I didn't read what you replied to, and was about to call you a cunt for dissing Animal Crossing.

I think a TES version of Animal Crossing would be interesting. You get to choose the province and the neighbors give you quests to send letters or brew potions, with the occasional quest to banish a Daedra or defend the village.

Don't forget that he's made of shit.

I can imagine most of the buildings being above ground (especially in Bromjunaar's case) but what's the extensive underground for?

Peryite seems pretty chill. Actually kind of nice back in Daggerfall. He was a little dickish in Oblivion to his followers, but that was after they'd fucked up. In Skyrim, he's back to being vaguely neutral.

Is he the best Daedric Prince? No. Even if he doesn't give you some disease, he's going to insist on following some natural order. Spellbreaker's totally worth it though.

Is Peryite the Akatosh/Alduin from the previous kalpa?

Is he just some dragon who just grabbed some realm of Oblivion and called it his? There's dragons like Durnehviir that just go do shit on their own instead of just following Alduin like some hivemind.

>see /tgesg/ thread
>want to read through it
>know it'll be better reading it all comfy on Saturday/Sunday morning

Reeeeeeee etc, life is suffering

That's an (in-universe) theory.

He's not just a dragon, at least...actually, he could be. Alduin doesn't have anything to do with it, dragons have existed outside of his influence for much longer, the question is if a dragon can go rouge from the Aka-tusk.

He's not a dragon, dragons don't have four legs. :^)

He takes the form of a dragon in mockery of Akatosh.

Tell me about it. I work 9 to 5 today, then I'm going to hang with friends.
Weekends, I work till close.

Good advice for weekend threads and life in general is to take things as they come. If you can post and enjoy this right now, you might as well.

So just because Peryite is a dragon doesn't mean he has any relation to Akatosh right?

Wyvern memes have to stop

Why does he mock Akatosh?

:(

Because he is Daedric. Daedra view the Andra as foolish as they can tempt mortals into doing their bidding, despite all the Aedra sacrificed.
Also Daedra are supposedly jealous of the Aedra since they feel like they missed out.

>stupid fucking lizard!

Last thread mentioned that MK came up with the metaphysical concepts of West -> East literally being past -> future and Atmora being "frozen in time". Anybody got the original text/source? Not that I don't believe it, I'd just appreciate the ad verbatim context.

Sure. Apparently the concept is much, much older than we know of, and it wasn't addressed in a text so much as something he just mentioned in a post of his online. That said, it is a factor in some of his texts (and others not by him) such as the Sword-Meeting with Vivec.

I'll try and find the relevant posts.

>Why does he mock Akatosh
Does he need a reason?

reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/2gr3w8/current_day_atmora_specific_questions_for_modding/ckmezwz

Here's one of them, which might be the first. There's really no archive newer than some of his IRC logs, which is a real pain.

Some of these are relevant:
reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/2kbajo/compilation_of_mk_posts_for_the_span_of_last_7/

I think Kirkbride made some offhand remark about Pertite being Akatosh's shadow.
People seem to take that as having some deep symbiotic meaning, but I see it as Peryite just literally being an imprint of Akatosh cast on Oblivion.

You might be thinking of the ambiguously developer written forum roleplay, "On Boethiah's Summoning Day."

Thanks fame

Peryite's underappreciated. When's his game/DLC, dammit?

>tfw gave trivia writes him off as one of the few genuinely evil Daedra even though he's always bro and it's fucking Namira who's topcunt

Reminder that Wulfharth was a Bosmer.

>Peryite's underappreciated
He gets his double dragon dong sufficiently sucked here.

I'd rather see:
>Namira
>Vaermina
>Vile

>Clavicus Viles' DLC

>The player asks for Clavicus' favour, Vile responds by dropping him in his Daedric realm, to "prove himself worthy."

>After the player has killed some dremora and made friends with all the odd inhabitants of Vile-land, Vile says "At first I just wanted to see you get killed, but you've actually managed to do it.. Not what I was expecting. A pleasant surprise, if anything! Take this here artifact, and consider yourself blessed by Clavicus Vile himself!"

The thing is, the Daedric Princes that could use more lore don't have a realm that would be as cool to explore. If we're talking DLC material, you can always show a part of the realm/pocket realm as part of daedric quests.

I'd like to see Moonshadow or The Hunting Grounds for full expansions.

Akatosh keeps order in his own way because of how Time has to be structured, Peryite's the Daedric Prince of natural order as much as disease. It's like two people working at the same job, and one's smug about it because he's able to annoy his coworker just by being there.

What can I say, people like an underdog sometimes. It's like how WFB fans often like Bretonnia, or 40k fans like Sisters of Battle. I doubt he even has a dong tho, that seems Sanguine's thing. (Also reminder that Martin Septim used to worship Sanguine and even got his daedric artifact at one point)

I'd argue his quests in Oblivion and Skyrim were his best, so Peryite doesn't really need a DLC. Clavicus Vile played a fairly large role in Battlespire, if I remember right.

None of them, especially the ones considered "safe".

This.

And just to round it off, Zurin was a Bretonized Tsaesci knight who worked for Porco Rosso.

But who was the pig????

That's what I'd like to know.

Reminder that Ysgramor was the first Shezarrine.

Reminder that he was also a dragon.

Ae Ysmaalithax!

Now might be a good time to ask.

How did Zurin Arctus, Tiber Septim, and Wulfharth all turn into one deity; Talos?

>The Underking arrives and is ambushed by Imperial guards. As he takes them on, Zurin Arctus uses a soulgem on him. With his last breath, the Underking's Heart roars a hole through the Battlemage's chest. In the end, everyone is dead, the Underking has reverted back to ash, and Tiber Septim strolls in to take the soulgem. When the Elder Council arrives, he tells them about the second attempt on his life, this time by his trusted battle mage, Zurin Arctus, who was attempting a coup. He has the dead guards celebrated as heroes, even the one who was blasted to ash... He warns Cyrodiil about the dangers within, but says he has a solution to the dangers without. The Mantella.

imperial-library.info/content/arcturian-heresy-0

That's part 1.

iirc Azura is the only one not believed to be intrinsically evil, which suggests that she's your safest bet

Merid too.

Merid is kawaii.

None of them are intrinsically evil, they're just intrinsically amoral beings of concept that will never truly care for you either way, and can fuck you over on a whim.

Best girl.

So is there anything new about what exactly the dro-m'athra are?

I mean there's this
reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/4zphms/song_of_the_dromathra/

but does that mean they are some kind of pseudo daedric zombie thing?

It's a moon thing, right?

>"Meridia despises undead in any form, and is one of the few daedric princes not considered to be wholly evil." - Skyrim Loading Screen
my bad, slightly misquoted and mentioned the wrong one, but yeah

Honestly, Azura isn't that bad either. Conspiracies notwithstanding.

That's really the only things that's a given with Khajiits in general. Doesn't make this any easier to figure out though.

OBSD is more than likely a fan text.

Right, right. Do any texts go into more detail, data-mined or otherwise? I'm remembering something specific.

Yeah, after reading through it all again just now (and MK saying elsewhere that he had no idea who did it) that much is clear. The accounts have existed since 2005 though, six years before the first entry and almost a decade since the last. That's something.

I don't but into the whole musical chairs thing, but it's still a good read, and the real-time response to rectroactive letter editing is fucking cool.

So many typos.

There's a book in the Maw of Lorkhaj but that's even more obscure.

I thought it was a well done text until the author started releasing versions where the Thalmor were messing with time or whatever.
That's what ruined its sense of authenticity for me, nobody at Bethesda would be that blunt with such an extreme topic.

I'll be sure to tell you everything I know about them once I get to that part of my Khajiit project.
Which has been ded for three weeks, but I'm going to finish it.

What I can tell you off the top of my head is that the only non-ESO source I know of that speaks of them is:
>Similar findings have revealed that the dro-m'Athra, or dark spirits of Elsweyr, which correspond to the inverse phases of Masser and Secunda, to be aspects of the more universal Daedric powers.
-PGE1

I wouldn't think too much about the name of them, as the 1st Edition predates proper Ta'agra. Though I'd note that "Dro" means "grandfather" and signifies respect, while "M'" means "child" or "virgin". It is a neat contradiction that might be interesting, but I wouldn't stake too much on it.

Now, the obvious connection is to the Khajiiti Gods of the Second Litter in traditional Khajiiti faith, who broadly correspond to the Daedra. I'm speaking about Sangiin, Merruz, Mafala, etc. Now, that seems reasonable, but the notion of these spirits being "dark", and tied to the phases of the moon is one that, as far as I know, isn't represented in any other text.

At a glance, I'd say it's either a case of Imperial misinformation, or an element of the Riddle'Thar cosmic order, of which we lack significant knowledge. I might have a different opinion once I actually get around to reading up on the dro-m'Athra, and attempt to place the concept in relation to other parts of Khajiiti faith.

Reminder that even High Rock has room for a better game than Valenwood, and that the province could only be made interesting if it had been torn a new asshole by open war on all sides, or something like that. Really, can you imagine something more generic than "forest where everything is large"?

Unless Bethesda really steps up their lore game, I can't see a game in Valenwood being anything other than a samey slog through a big forest.

At least it'd be okay if they added dinosaurs to it.

Well I think that would be a step up from High Rock, with its knights and kings. It feels like High Rock could be accused of being 'Oblivion 2'.

Valenwood I doubt would be on its own. I think it would just be with the Summerset Isles as 'Alinor'.

Fuck High Rock, I don't want more generic European fantasy, and High Rock is the epitome of classic fantasy. If a want to play that I have Mount & Blade, Kingdom Come soon and a hundred more games in a similar setting.

High Rock could be really cool, and there is some really neat stuff in there, but it's far too easy to make into a generic fantasy setting with a vaguely English theme but with a thin veneer of Celtic culture. As much as I love it, I think you really have to show how the province interacts with Hammerfell and the Direnni elves to really make things at all interesting.

Valenwood, for all its flaws, is perfect for a game setting because everything has been disunited for centuries. Plenty of room for all sorts of threats, without having to jump 100 years to make up one.

>Fuck High Rock, I don't want more generic European fantasy, and High Rock is the epitome of classic fantasy
On the contrary, I disagree, and find it easy to make a very clearly different society than that of medieval Europe, with a strong reliance on magical means, a strong celtic subculture, and general medieval fantasy tropes on crack.

Some user posted about it earlier.

>In High Rock, most young boys have their first wank to a forest nymph

>In High Rock, Dremora butlers are commonplace

>In High Rock during autumn, the roads are overcrowded with young adults just finished with the harvest season, starting their journey to become adventurers

>In High Rock, "witch" is synonymous to "elderly woman"

>In High Rock, the number of landed, titled nobles are roughly as high as the number of peasants

>In High Rock, practically everyone has a broom that sweeps the floor for them

>In High Rock, teenage boys use levitate spells on teenage girls' robes, and teenage girls use flames aimed in the boys' general direction as a retort

And that's not even approaching the Reachmen or the Bjoulsae Horselords.

Speaking of which, even a game set solely in the Reach, isolated by CHIM fuckery, would be more interesting than Valenwood. Dwarven ruins, Nord & Breton opressed minorities, Orcs taking their chance to establish a 47th Orsinium in some valley..

The only remotely interesting thing for a game you mentioned.

Check ESO if you want to see how High Rock would be portrayed.

>In High Rock, most young boys have their first wank to a forest nymph
Not gonna be in game. Also Witcher did it, so originality is lost.

Not feeling anything on that.

>In High Rock during autumn, the roads are overcrowded with young adults just finished with the harvest season, starting their journey to become adventurers
And? In game that would translate to seeing people off to do stupid shit like you did in Skyrim watching Nords join the Legion and Imperials join the Stormcloaks

>In High Rock, "witch" is synonymous to "elderly woman"
How does that help break the standard?

>In High Rock, the number of landed, titled nobles are roughly as high
as the number of peasants
That just sounds like a lot of tedious busy work for the player.

>In High Rock, practically everyone has a broom that sweeps the floor for them
What is this, Disney's Sword in the Stone?

>In High Rock, teenage boys use levitate spells on teenage girls' robes, and teenage girls use flames aimed in the boys' general direction as a retort
Still not seeing how this is different from generic medieval fantasy.

Where's the strange customs and and architecture? Where's the esoteric names and color schemes? In Valenwood you got walking trees, cannibal midgets, ticks the size of dogs, centaurs, imga, and Khajiiti raiders.

What does High Rock have?
>Dwarven ruins
Getting real sick of those
>Nord & Breton opressed minorities
Yawn.
>Orcs
Stop right there, if it's another goddamn Orcs vs. Humans trope...

High Rock is cool.

It's just not as cool as it can be yet.

I think it should be pretty damn obvious by this point that no Kirkbride scribbles ever survive the transition to real game intact.

Who shat in your cereal today?

This guy

That art is not by MK.

>he can't see the difference between MK and Lutemoth

Doesn't increase its likelihood we'll see it in game.

That's the problem with Bethesda: Big on ideas, lacking in execution.

As much as I like Highrock, I think Valenwood would be better at this point. Daggerfall was a great game, and I think we should leave it at that.
This shit again? Not that user, but stop rambling about how Weird = Great Setting, and Common Tropes = Setting that can't be Good already. If you only liked Morrowind for the dinosaurs and mushrooms, this isn't the thread for you. Just take a tab or two of acid if that's what you want.

No I want originality. And fact of the matter is nothing I read or hear of High Rock sounds original.

Originality is empty without quality writing.