Why are undead not-Romans not a thing? Post undead not- Romans...

Why are undead not-Romans not a thing? Post undead not- Romans. Also why there are so few Rome inspired civilizations anyway? Unlike vikings they took on actual armies and won even when outnumbered, they were fucking badass.

Our picture of them paints them a cleverer and more cultured bunch, much more like todays folks than middle ages. I rather an uncivilized middle age seeming dark because of age of enlightment making it so, than roman empire.

Maybe this or that tolkien who started the whole thing made his work not very like rome. And then all fantasy felt a need to not differ so much from that picture. Only recently i started to hear of writers breaking the ideal.
Roleplaying games are inspired by fantasy novels.

Are we even talking of fictional civilizations? I assume since this is Veeky Forums.

Nice dubs but post undead Romans.

How many thinly veiled "fuck the vikings" threads are we going to have today? I get it Sven, you hate your own race. You should, you're worthless leftists, there's nothing redeeming about you, but after a while it gets cringey.

Undead Romans.

Undead Rome is a thing. Dominions1-4 and their Ermor.

Make it a thing

Look up Ermor from Dominions, that´s bassicly what you are looking for

I'm already in the process of writing a Bronze Age setting with Romans... Now I have to add undead Romans too.

>31 euros for something that looks like a freeware game

lmao

My guess is,even if Tolkien pictured Gondor as a sort of Roman/Byzantine styled kingdom, pop cultures has always related heroic fantasy to the late middle ages because the arturian cycle, and such, all of those product of the Middle Ages and the preeminence of the classical knight image in all things fantasy. It wasn't until pulp magazines and things like Conan when those tropes changed and new visuals were added to fantasy, but the Middle Ages warrior picture have already taken root in fantasy.

Pic related;there were spooky zombie romans in "Hellboy 1953: The witch tree".

My nigga.

In Legend of the Burning Sands, the Legend of the Five Rings spinoff that covers the world outside magical weeaboo land, there's a civilization of not-Romans who summon the ghosts of fallen soldiers and/or their ancestors to fight alongside them in battle.

>be on Veeky Forums
>somehow still care about graphics in a 4X fantasy worldbuilding game
Are you the kind of autist who insists on using Tabletop Simulator because it has fancy dice physics?

Rome was an empire, empire are bad guys. Especially when they conquer and subjugate people.

That said, bringing education, clean water, literacy and so fucking fourth is noble ideals and but for some reason RPG groups ignore that. THEY are clean. THEY are rich, THEY have no major health problems. THEY can read. And we all know RPG characters are complete psychopaths and value their cultural heritage more than the lives and suffering of their people and their descendants.

Sorry I don't wanna pay so much money for something that looks like shit.

'kay!

Then pay 50 euros for something that looks good, but actually is shit.
Whatever floats your boat, man.

That game is so dog shit no one even heard about it also
>strategy game

lmao

Most either can't appreciate the nuance; they don't care about fresh water through aqueducts or proper roads to walk on -- they just care about easily-digestible narratives that show that ''The Empire'' sounds ominous and is evil, and ought to be destroyed.

Or, they simply can't appreciate all the things you mentioned, because they take it for granted. Being literate, having clean water, maintaining proper hygiene, everyone has access to this in their cookie-cutter carbon-copied fantasy settings.

Im prepping running a game where Halley's comet crashed into the earth in 1531 and awoke magic. One of the things that happened afterwords was Nero resurrected as basically a lich and and set out to raise his legions and take back his empire.

While Nero is a crazy evil bastard, his undead empire is more neutrally aligned. The living citizens live in fear of his undead champions, but because the legions dont need food and stuff they are more free than anyone else in Europe. So travelers through roman lands tend to go unmolested so long as they stay away from the zombies. Not only that but the towns tend to be friendly and welcoming to travelers.

Yeah, the thing about fantasy where people say "dying at the age of 40" is that people for some reason take that as "people did not live to see old age. Instead of people died from hundreds of small reasons that we today barely think of.

Shit, in my family tree we've found a perosn that lived to become 109 years old and lived from late 1500 to early 1700. That dude fucked up the statistics right and proper.

Legend of the Five Rings has the Yodotai, their version of the roman empire.

They summon the spirits of their dead legions to fight at their side, led by the manifestation of their god Conquest. Its not skeleton or zombie romans but its a ghost legion of romans who not only fought alongside their descendants but also denied most magic to their enemies.

They are the big mysterious off camera empire, the biggest threat to the Rokugan empire short of the shadowlands.

They also fail to realize that those numbers include infant mortality rates. A large number of 0s really brings down an average, just look at my high school GPA! (insert rimshot)

You'll find once you exclude the dead babies the average lifespan of medieval peoples skyrockets.

>the biggest threat to the Rokugan empire short of the shadowlands.
Too bad the writers made damn sure to never do anything with them.

>tfw it comes down to a game between Ermor and R'yleh

>''what is a 4X game''
>so dogshit no one ever heard about it
>4 people in this thread mentioned it
Still doesn't change what I said though: Go buy No Man's Sky if you want to spend double the amount of money for a shit game that ''looks good''

While you're doing that, I'mma boot up Dominions 4. I like playing as a spirit of blood magic that's possessing a fountain, ruling over the Not!Egyptian necromancer-priest lizardfolk as their God.

>tfw you will never see roman legions and the Lion clan tear into each other as their spiritual ancestors wage war around them...
>no, legelus doesn't count, he wasn't real yodotai at the time

Though to be fair, they wrote the Yodotai to be far too powerful for Rokugan, to the point that any REAL invasion would have crushed Rokugan short of serious bullshit.

Hell I remember them casually mentioning that a single full expansion army had half a million men. Entire clans can only deploy 20-30,000 samurai. A single army of Yodotai outnumber the entire Emerald Empire 2-1. Of course it was conquering for 1000 years so yeah...

Before the game was sold story team DID mention that only under the Onyx empire, the Spider ruled empire, would Rokugan grow strong enough to actually stand up to the Yodotai.

So unless the shadowlands won they couldn't do anything with Yodotai without basically dooming Rokugan, or forcing the most bullshit story arcs that would put the Destroyer War to shame.

So they hyped them up too much and now really cant do anything with them...

They had clean water, but the streets of Rome were literally full of shit. Well, in the poor areas at least. It's debatable to what extent they were good or bad, so whether you side with the not-Romans or not, you should never be able to tell if you're on the right side.

>so few Rome inspired civilizations anyway
Are you crazy? There are shitton not-Rome shit in fiction. It's just as mainstream as not-vikings, or even more.

stop shilling your shit game no one plays

>Entire clans can only deploy 20-30,000 samurai
Wrong. The smallest great clan army is the Mantis at 66,000 samurai, the next smallest is the Phoenix at 88,000. The rest have over 100,000, with the Lion and Crab having over 200,000.

That said, the Yodotai still vastly outnumber them, they have expedition forces larger than Great Clan armies.

The Scions of Patria say hi.

Actually the shit was pretty much everywhere, we have a really clean and sterile view of Rome painted by the early Rome Rediscovery Historians but we're starting to realise that the capital was a plague ridden mess where people learned quickly no drink the water. Even in the good areas though there are historical sources complaining about stepping out onto streets full of shit. It tended to be private property that was clean(because you'd have Slaves to clean it) but literally outside the front door was no one's property and therefore people rarely took responsibility for it.

Crane and Unicorn have over 200,000 also.

Im still in the early stages of worldbuilding, so I will prolly post about it in the appropriate general.

But some other ideas I had floating around was that the the comet impacted in the pacific and ravaged china leading to a mass exudes from the region leading to conflict.

The remnants of the Aztecs gain access to magic and revolt against their Spanish conquerors. Now they plan to take revenge on the Europeans.

The comet also melted the icecaps and put London underwater, now the Irish use this as an opportunity to attack the British.

Ancient Djinn in the middle east and Arabia awoke from their ancient slumber and claimed to be angels scent by god. When in reality they are simply using the Muslims to live luxurious lives as despots.

I also want to do something cool in Africa but Im not sure as to what yet.

>I'm playing it right now :)
I don't want you to buy it, actually. You'd be the cancerous type to cast Burden of Time as R'lyeh and then spam Imprint Souls. I'd rather you go fuck yourself somewhere else.

Sounds sweet so far.I'm digging it.

And about Africa, it's just a matter of doing some research of what was going on there previously to 1531 and then work on it.

This game has multiplayer?

yes nigger thats the whole point

It sure does

Yea unfortunately they Africans didn't write a lot of shit down and the Europeans just wrote about killing them.

Now that I think about it the Muslims might have kept history, ill have to look into that.

>Being literate, having clean water, maintaining proper hygiene

If you did a historical roman empire then most people would've been illiterate. Romans adored the rural lifestyle, so as a culture they did not give literacy a big priority.

Clean water in the cities yes, everywhere else depends on the source.

Proper hygiene was a pretty constant thing until the black death.
In roman times for example celtic and german tribes used soap (unlike the greeks and romans) and had a bathing culture, steppe tribes had sauna tents.
Not just the "civilized" guys cared about being clean.

I once tried to make a setting where there was a not-Roman empire that was run by catgirls. However no one wanted to play it and I ended up running shadowrun instead.

>Also why there are so few Rome inspired civilizations anyway?
there are
our whole modern civilization is Roman-inspired

So an idea I've been messing with in my campaign world is that the Elves are the not-Romans. It's a play on the idea that Elves are the oldest civilization, basically the rest of the world has moved on to feudalism but the slow moving and near-immortal Elves carry on with their Republic that's been around for over a millennium.

Full-blooded Elves are patricians by default, and all of the other races are plebeians (the exception being Orcs, who are a kind of warrior class that exists outside the rest of society). "Elven Secrets" are practical things like how to build aqueducts and other high technology, which the non-elven world doesn't have knowledge of (and may be prevented from gaining that knowledge by Elven Illuminati).

I'd like to run a campaign where the players are working for an ambitious Elven senator.

If magic works the african witch doctors can create superhumans by giving warriors the strength of lions/speed of cheetas and stuff. Iirc the reason zulu warriors just ran fearlessly into hailstorms of bullets was bc they believed magic had made their skin impenetrable. Africa could be a dangerous fucking place.

There was an old russian wargame called "Ring of Rule" that featured the cursed legion of undead romans.

Cleanliness is next to godliness.

Taking a bath or washing away the grime is what separates you from the animals, it's one of the few true pleasures and relaxing activities encouraged by ancient society that we still deeply enjoy today (besides prostitution and alcohol.)

I bought it for 5 in a steam sale, it was very worth it.

Dead multiplayer games are worth nothing.

>OP pic
>modern state colloseum ruins

>moved on to feudalism

Feudalism was created because after the WRE collapsed no one had the bureaucratic infrastructure to manage such large territories. It's more of a step down than a step up.

Those wouldn't happen to be 25mm scale right?

That is a mighty angry looking doggo.

itt: retarded user gets BTFO

It's neither a multiplayer game nor dead. If I play multiplayer I play with friends but I play a lot more solo.

so is it dominions 3 or 4 that people are playing?

id say that the average is about 60s to seventies, since thats when old age really kicks in, but it still was possible to live to your ninties, you just won't be moving soon.

ENOUGH ALREADY! JUST LET US GET SOME SLEEP!

Yes.

By the fifteenth century Islam had been widespread through northern Africa. You'll surely find some historical records or writings about them if you look for them, even if it's just about what names those countries had back them and who ruled over the people.

Anyways,there are a bunch of myths and folk tales from which you can start figuring out some aspects of African culture. Andrew Lang compilled some of them in his Books of Fairies (and man,some weird shit,but good shit).

I agree that this is pretty awesome. When you've got progress, I'd suggest both putting it in the world building general--they love creative stuff like that--and if you're confident, make your own thread about it.

There's a Veeky Forums steam group that plays blitz games every day, and pretty much every forum that plays Dominions has several PBEM games hosted through the Llamaserver going at once.

It's worth it. Between Dominions 3&4 I put in about 500 hours.

>Between the two

>empire are bad guys
I always wondered about that. Thing is Empires also tended to shape history by being so big. The successful ones also seem to share the same traits

Rome
>Unifying language
>Employed anyone into military service, and allowed them to move outside their class
>Advanced science and mathematics
>Killed a bunch of stupid barbars

Qin
>Unifying language
>Employed anyone into military service, and allowed them to move outside their class
>Killed a bunch of stupid barbars

Mongols
>Unifying language
>Used to be a bunch of stupid barbars

lol
I know that feeling. So much stuff to discover and unravel.

>playing stragety games in 2016
xD

Dominions 4 mostly. Check out Veeky Forums's Dominions 4 for more info on multiplayer. If you want basic knowledge of the game, then check out Marcus Aurelius' on youtube.

That's because the statistics are dragged down by high infant mortality, if you survive past age 10 you'll probably make it to at least 80.

To each their own, friend.

>you'll probably make it to at least 80
Wow, slow down friendo. Americans today live slightly less than 80, on average.

Modern life style is pretty shitty.
Crappy food, little exercise.
Ever since the majority started to live in cities life expectancy has been cut.

Imperial ambitions drive forward progress

They're assholes is why

Sounds pretty dope

It's true.

>I will sodomize you and face-fuck you,
>Cock-sucker Aurelius and catamite Furius,
>You who think, because my verses
>Are delicate, that I am modest.
>For it's right for the devoted poet to be chaste
>Himself, but it's not necessary for his verses to be so.
>Verses which then have taste and charm,
>If they are delicate and sexy,
>And can incite an itch,
>And I don't mean in boys, but in those hairy old men
>Who can't get their flaccid dicks up.
>You, because you have read of my thousand kisses,
>You think I'm a sissy?
>I will sodomize you and face-fuck you.

R O M A
A M O R

Sorry to say user, but it was probably for the best.

Do you have data to support that? I know urbanization related to epidemics before the advent of modern medicine, but other than that agriculture enables greater natural population growth. And we today are less prone to the dietary deficits of the lower rungs of past agricultural societies - excess beats scarcity most of the time. Outside the USA, in other developed nations (and Costa Rica), life expectancy is actually higher than 80, so it's not fair to group all of modern societies together like that.

Not him, but I can weigh in: American Life Expectancy is "low" (at 78.8 on average, though women are higher as always) for a combination of reasons:

>Poor immigrants move to the US and bring their health problems with them. While they often get cured, and become more than productive members of society, even 20 years of harsh conditions will shorten your lifespan dramatically. Furthermore, poor people (immigrant and endemic) typically engage in health-destroying behaviors such as alcoholism and smoking in much greater proportions than higher classes, shaving years off their lives and giving it to Keith Richards

>American Work Ethic: America, for good or for ill, works hard. It values hard work above almost all other things at the societal level. Because of this, the number of hours people work and the intensity they work are often much greater than other nations due to a culturally self-imposed belief that working 40 hours or less a week is slacking off (and I'll admit to myself that if I don't come home from work tired, I feel like I didn't do anything that day). This work builds up stress like a motherfucker.

>Honest reporting: The US takes surprisingly open measures and evaluations of itself, including medical data. It's very, very difficult (though not impossible) to cover up a trail of numbers when government reporting (such as births/deaths) is involved. This means that, unlike a lot of nations, our numbers are almost 100% guaranteed to be accurate in most fields.

This and other things mean that the life expectancy is seemingly lower in the US than it is in other places, when the reality is that quality of life is really very, very high.