EDH/Commander General

wedge color edition

Old thread:RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

thread topic: would allowing a conspiracy in addition to commanders in EDH games be a fun way to shake things up or just degenerate?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11083720
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/isperia-flying-kung-fu/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-08-16-death-and-taxes/#c2779550
magiccards.info/query?q=o:"guesses"&v=card&s=cname
magiccards.info/query?q=o:chooses&v=card&s=cname
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lets-start-an-undead-riot/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Depends on how it's chosen. I don't think having people show up with a conspiracy card would fly, since they're designed for draft.

If the conspiracies were chosen at random, then I think it might be fine.

If you're looking for a way to shake things up, then play planechase edh.

How does Zedruu decks usually win?
What are some nasty things to gift to opponents?

I think this has to be checked after the last thread.

strawpoll.me/11083720

Forgot pic

Illusions of grandeur, mind lash, other permanents that don't let you play spells

Lol, thought lash

I know they're designed for draft but as far as I can tell there aren't any conspiracies that say anything specifically about "cards you drafted." So I thought it'd be cool having access to a commander and having a conspiracy in the command zone at the same time.

I hate when people scoops for t1 plains+maná crypt for pic related

If I have Diplomatic Immunity enchanting a Voltron commander and opponent casts pic related, can I sac the enchantment with Espertai at any point before the DI goes to the grave?

Why? New Thalia isn't even that good.

Steel Golem, Grid Monitor, Aggressive Mining

Dropping Tragic Arrogance to make everyone keep your shitty gifts and then play Armageddon

What the fuck is Espertai

I don't think that was real. It was comically awful

But if it was, holy shit it is the worst LGS on the planet

Police state LGS? What'd I miss?

Read the old thread.

Holy tapdancing fuck, I found it and this is the craziest thing I've read all week.

I would assume evil Ertai

You cannot. Sacrificing the creature is a cost to cast the spell; by the time you have priority to respond, their creature is dead, and the Aura has been placed into the graveyard as a state-based action because it was on the battlefield not attached to anything.

Isn't it completely insane? To the point where I don't think it's real, it's just hilariously "corrupt Slavs being corrupt" stereotypical

Nah, it felt real. If it was fake it was masterful, because he didn't push it too far, and his defense of it came across less as bait and more as "oh my god he's actually been brainwashed"

What's your spiciest Glissa tech?

What is the best mono-black commander for a mono black EDH deck that revolves around graveyard shenanigans?

One that isn't mono-black.

Sidisi

Geth is pretty fun. He can be rolled ip into a big black deck or a graveyard fun deck.

No greater feeling than copying his effect for all opponents, dumping massive loads of cretures into their graveyards then playing rise of the dark realms to blow them out.

Man that was one of the crazier threads we've had in a while

sidisi is pretty good maybe liliana heretical healer.

See I don't know. Veeky Forums might be bad at Magic, but by amd large they're not fucking stupid. The fact that the store tracks everyone's trades just doesn't seem possible

I would love for it to be true, just because of how insanely terrible it is

Chainer?

Chainer has that big, red and white target over his head yelling "hit me and everything else will crumble!", tho.
Sidisi needs to basically constantly do in and out from the battlefield, doesn't he?

I mean, it might just be a sort of Stockholm Syndrome. People will voluntarily tell the store "I traded my Mirrorwing Dragon for his Hallowed Fountain" because they either think the system is a good one, or they're afraid of getting banned if they get found out. But seriously, if I walked in and pulled out a Commander deck and got told "we only allow Commander on league nights", let alone "we only allow you to play with cards purchased here" I'd pack right back up, walk out the door, and never come back.

You only cast her once and then you win.

Esper-Ertai, hence Espertai.
Thought so. What a shame.
Viridian Longbow and Heart-Piercer Bow. Executioner's capsule is a no brainer, unless you play in BLACKED meta.

Fair enough.

I'm throwing together a Lazav deck based around various copy effects; I was digging through my boxes and found a copy of Eye Of The Storm.

It's cool, and I think it would do fun things with Spellshift, but how likely am I to just end up scooping in the face of an irreparably damaged game state? I don't want to COMPLETELY ruin everyone else's fun

Viridian Longbow is super neat with Deathtouch, but Heartpiercer is not. I already have capsule. Thanks for the help!

If you just want a fun goofy deck, I advise you not play Eye. It can get really tedious to keep track of.

How is Heart-piercer not good with deathtouch? You can pick off potential blockers when you attack with her. Longbow is 'safer' since you don't put her in any danger, but with her having First Strike and Deathtouch she's already tough to deal with in combat.

Heartpiercer bow deals the damage, not the equipped creature.

I really want to build Rafiq poison. I need the freshest spices.

Oooh, good catch. I was reading what I wanted to read, I guess.

It's a fun card, but only when it doesn't show up too often. In my opinion its good for a laugh occasionally and if your playgroup has a good understanding of the stack it's fun to resolve, just never put a ritual or tutor of any sort under it, I had a game while playing Melek that I put Turnabout and Mystical Tutor under it, the proceeded to cast every spell in my deck and Ignite memories the table out.

Believe me, I wish you were right.

>Turnabout and Mystical Tutor under it, the proceeded to cast every spell in my deck and Ignite memories the table out
How

Also I wish I could do this but my group often ends up in topdeck mode somewhat soon after early game

Probably any draw spell.

Cast Divination, it gets eaten, tutor for any spell to put on top, untap your lands. Cast literally whatever, draw the card you tutored for, tutor another one, untap your lands. Cast the spell you drew, tutor another, untap your lands. Repeat until you tutor for, and cast, Ignite Memories with a storm count of "HO YEAH"

Well, my plan was to Spellshift into it and churn my entire library through into Tendrils Of Agony

It's been a while, but I believe it was:
Boardstate:
Melek
Lands
Eye with Turnabout under it
>Cast Mystical Tutor, trigger eye
>Cast Turnabout untap lands and Mystical Tutor
>Cast instant or sorcery from the top of my library, Melek copies it, trigger eye
>Cast Turnabout untap lands, tutor another instant or sorcery, cast the first instant or sorcery again
Keep in mind that Eye lets you cast the spells, adding to storm count.

Oh right, I didn't realize that.
Nihil Spellbomb, Ark of Blight, Chimeric Coils, Codex Shredder, Copper Gnomes.
Krark-Clan Ironworks and Kuldotha Forgemaster are good too, depending on what kind of deck are you running.
I would say that he was playing Melek. That'd allow it pretty well.

I kinda hate Glissa for her card art. Every time I see her I think she has a snake body, then am disappointed when I see her legs again.

I never even noticed the legs. I like her more now.

I like her promo art. She looks proper phyrexian. The stomach in the real art gives me a chubby tho

>this guy
She's like a better, cheaper Urabrask. I actually run both new Thalia and Urabrask, new Thalia is far more awful to deal with because she comes out early, then taps down lands.

By far the strongest is Sheoldred, but you will be hated off the table before you can even sit down.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/isperia-flying-kung-fu/

Thoughts?

Only nonbasics. I prefer Urabrask because of the haste, I have no need for more bad Kismets.
That said, I have no idea why to scoop because of her, it's not like she's hard to remove, I'd be more worried for the Crypt

Wow, Veeky Forums really is bad at magic.

Ya don't say?

I don't know about scooping, especially in a 4 player game, but Thalia on an aggressive white deck can probably delay your opponents long enough for you to build a sensible early game advantage. Especially if you couple her with fun cards such as Armageddon and Winter Orb.

>only non-basics
>EDH
Come on now.

>he doesn't like my waifu, he must be bad at MtG

>Basics are bad
I suppose you also enjoy losing to Back to Basics

I run 20-some basics, but have you seen the decklists on here, on tappedout, on reddit? People just looove those non-basics

>a card that puts half the table on slow mana and has a creature Kismet strapped on for 3 CMC is bad

>muh scary rocks

>dies to Shock

>dies to removal

Im building him currently, have been asking around for replacements for a few landbases. Heres my list:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-08-16-death-and-taxes/#c2779550

Its really cool, you can combo pretty good and get vblue out of bouncing things from him, and you have enough recursion to play if everyone pays the troll toll. Value out of ETB/LTB, extort and pingers, then finish with fatties or the classic Exquisite Blood/ Sanguine Bonds, or my favorite (which seems to tilt people less) Sanguine Bonds, Debt to the Deathless for 5+ (5 is 40 dmg with 4 players and Sanguine Bonds).

Still looking for replacements for Meteor Crater, Mirrorpool, Sea Gate Wreckage, and Thespian's Stage if anyone has some good B/W lands.

Not that guy, but saying that she's more vulnerable to removal than actual Kismet is a valid point. There's typically a lot more creature removal going on.

>enchantments
>less vulnerable to removal

Post more "mind games" cards

Yes?

Direct Enchantment removal is limited to White and Green. It's one of the least vulnerable permanent types, competing only with lands.

magiccards.info/query?q=o:"guesses"&v=card&s=cname

Mage's Contest if you're feeling saucy/suicidal

Casual, but fun as fuck

I slot this in any edh I can. It makes the durdly control players pissed, but everyone else loves it when I drop it on the table.

magiccards.info/query?q=o:chooses&v=card&s=cname

Had a good multi-player game the other day:
>run Nekusar Zombie tribal
>only cast him when I have glistening oil or Grafted Exoskeleton
>start game off early by casting some low end zombies
>cast call to the grave
>everyone sacs and clears field while I get more zombies
>one player boardwipes so I plan to get rid of call to grave by the end of the turn but he casts a creature without thinking
>cast Rise of the Dark Realms
Cast Grave Pact when it hits my turn again
>no one able to cast a damn thing
>"Who's your commander? Where the hell is your commander? Asked an opponent
>I explain to him Nekusar but he doesn't really do anything

Woo. I blame luck that they didn't draw enchantment removal.

I have played her as a commander, people always substimate what she can do and when they are going to remove her i just equip her with swords. even if she is removed, she is not expensive enough to worry and in a DnT shell she can do 20 damage very quickly

Yeah, but you're also playing mono-white. If your argument is "she's not expensive enough to worry about if removed and she can do 20 damage quickly", Isamaru wins even quicker since he's only 1 power weaker and comes out 2 turns sooner.

You can't put Kismet as your commander, so it's kind of a different story than comparing them both as part of the 99.

>Yeah, but you're also playing mono-white.
Yeah, that's so bad... because obviously you don't have artifacts like winter orb and somkestack to help you
>Isamaru wins even quicker since he's only 1 power weaker and comes out 2 turns sooner.
Isamaru don't make your opponent's lands enter tapped. fetchlands become weak to wasteland and any creature that haves haste loses it. if your opponent cast a creature, it can't block in your next turn cause it's tapped, giving you an extra turn of damage. Thalia is the perfect commander to abuse mono-w stax/LD

I had built this guy a while ago and kinda let it be mostly because I never really thought it would work so well in my playgroup.

Took it out last night against Maelstrom Wanderer, Azami, and Teysa.

Azami spell all their time trying to lock Wanderer out of their combo and Teysa pretty much got mana flooded.

I eventually won by playing Buried Alive, grabbing Phrexian Delver, Kiki-jiki, and Zealous Conscripts then reanimating the Delver to start the infamous Kiki-conscript combo.

Was fun. Anyone want a decklist?

I just disagree. Against some opponents, Thalia puts them back a turn (and yeah, more than a turn if you have Winter Orb, but you don't always have Winter Orb), against other decks it barely slows them down because they're heavy on basics. She's neat as a second Kismet, but she's also a lot more vulnerable than Kismet is. There's better Stax commanders.

Don't know why I'm even arguing with you, since EDHG has decided that Stax is a perfect and unbeatable archetype, and that building "you're not allowed to play: the deck" somehow makes them paragons of skill.

This happened two sessions ago:
>Jeleva (me) vs. Vorosh, Jarad, Hidetsugu, and Hazezon.
>Jeleva is basically a stealcopy.dec
>Game drags on, no one does jack shit.
>Cast Beacon of Tomorrows
>Hidetsugu Shunts it, Vorosh Mischievous Qagnar'd to copy it. I in turn Reiterate my own Beacon (yes this might of been the wrong target.)
>Jarad player to the left of me frustrated because his turn is going to take forever. He only has a Llanowar Elf.
>So after my initial turn its Vorosh -> Myself -> Hidersugu
>Vorosh takes turn, just swings at me for 12.
>My turn: I Worst Fears the Hidetsugu player
>Take Hidetsugus turn...
>I top a Final Fortune from his deck.
>SMIRK
>Have enough mana to cast Gratitious Violence, Hidetsugu, AND Final Fortune
>Literally putting the ball on his court to kill everyone or kill himself
>Everyone even the Hidetsugu player breaks out laughing
>The only lifetotals that were odd were me and Jarad
>He decided to say fuck it and use Hidetsugu, all five of us were laughing our asses off from the whole sequence.
>Me and Jarad at 1 life.
>Jarads turn
>"......swing with...elf?..."
>Me: "You good, man"
>We all laugh for another good 3 minutes
Didnt care if I lost/messed up. That was one of the best endings of a game I experienced.

>So after my initial turn its Vorosh -> Myself -> Hidersugu
Actually it should have been Hidetsugu, Vorosh, you. Your copy of Beacon resolved first, then Vorosh's copy, then the original targeting Hidetsugu. You take additional turns in reverse order of them being created; the extra turn created by the original was the most recently created, so that should have been first.

This always triggers me. What part of return to your hand do people not understand

yes please

It's the fact that it's on the left of the colon. THAT'S why it doesn't work.

Dude the whole point of taking out those bad lands was putting in more basics

Real or not, that shit's totally going in the big book of legendary /edh/ players next to re mach, Anowon, Serra Ascendant and barbarian RPer.

Anowon's new to me. What happened there?

>the jpg again

Fuck you.

I['m bad at deckbuilding] wasn't sure if 12/11 was pushing it for basics, I always preferred slower mana fixing lands in EDH, but I realize how slow that can make a good deck be.

>pre-ordered ftv: lore
>intended to build a crazy deck from all the parts
>now I just have a bunch of lame 3 colour commanders and nothing fun to do with them
What's the most fun deck you've played? I'm feeling uninspired at the moment. Personally I find b/g and r/g goodstuff to be a complete blast, but somehow jund just isn't as fun.

Guy posted an Anowon sac-based deck looking for advice, and its first iteration contained 29 lands and a Dark Ritual as the entire mana base with like a 4.5 average CMC. No rocks, just basics and a Ritual. People told him that just wasn't enough, but man he was not taking any criticism, it went on across multiple threads and he kept trying to justify not running any acceleration

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lets-start-an-undead-riot/

I'm going to soon be adding in Black Carriage + Eternal Mastery for infinite hasty tokens as well. Deck still be tuned. Probably gonna take apart Sygg and put the black stuff in here that's good.

>

WHEW LADS

I'm bad at deckbuilding wasn't sure if 12/11 was pushing it for basics, I always preferred slower mana fixing lands in EDH, but I realize how slow that can make a good deck be.

How to build her?
Flicker?
Control?
Maybe Enchantress?

S T A X
T
A
X