WIP - Painting/Sculpting/Converting General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

"I didn't die IRL, but also didn't win the lottery either" edition.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Archive 1.1.0.7.6.3
youtube.com/watch?v=cSCOaowF2UI

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Professional-Airbrush-Cleaning-Station-Support/dp/B005DM37MI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472226101&sr=8-3&keywords=airbrush stand
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reposting from the end of last thread, thoughts?

i think it seems too shiny. try some matte gloss. and touch up the purple.

that is matte gloss

Illusion from having 5 lightbulbs trained on it?

Hey there, it's me, user. Didn't have much progress in the last month or so, but at least i've gotten around to finish the base layers on these bikers. They look pretty bland right now, but that'll change once the shades and technicals come into play.

The cape seems like a wasted opportunity for some smooth highlighting. The base looks cool, though.

Also the lord-on-bike, the plague rider!

Do you have a good tutorial on smooth highlighting?

This was me learning a bit about glazing for the first time, I'm still learning basics.

nurgle demands washes on these models user

I can see where this is going, user.
I like it, looking forward to after shades.

This afternoon my titan has been magnetised, due to an Apoc game tomorrow where I get to use this thing for the first time. I'll probably glue the arms and that once I've painted it, I'm not convinced I did a very good job or that it's a good long term option. But hell if I'm gluing it before it gets painted.

Speaking of painting this thing, what's the best airbrush metallics to use around?

Any idea what to do with 6 Penitent Engine Pilots?

After assembly I have 3 of each pilot version.

Might turn them into random "count as" things for my SoB/Inquisitor army.

Well, just ordered a compressor so my airbrush journey is about to begin.

other than cleaner + thinners, whats essential?

I'm not going to splash out on a complete 'air' range of paints for now. i'm just going to thin down standard paints*

oh and with that said, I solemly swear to not do the usual airbrush HEY GRADIENTS ON ALL THE THINGS!!..
im still going to be doing a lot of brushwork

* im a cheap bastard. paying again for the same paint but diluted sounds crazy.

something to rest your airbrush in
i use one of these which can take the cleaner spray/waste paint as well
amazon.co.uk/Professional-Airbrush-Cleaning-Station-Support/dp/B005DM37MI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472226101&sr=8-3&keywords=airbrush stand

Alright then, how does this look? managed to not colossally fuck it up I think.

>Any idea what to do with 6 Penitent Engine Pilots?

Would their posture lend them well to conversion into Daemonhosts for an Inquisitorial warband?

They could work. Then again what the hell do I do with six Daemonhost.

Need to do a little more work on the base.

Still not sure how much I like the model though.

>Dat leg

That looks pretty sick. I think edge highlighting the gold with pure silver would make it really pop.

How to paint glowy fire seord like rhis?

Start from dark to light or light to dark?

Grey Knights guy here. Pretty close to finishing the banner for my paladin squad.

Working on my work army

That's a difficult question.

In terms of sheer reflective metal effect (providing you are shooting for steel, aluminium or something close to it) then Alclad is fucking amazing, but they're hard to use (solvent based paint, NOT compatible with airbrushes previously used for acrylics, toxic as hell) and they need a well prepared surface, and they'll need varnishing prior to acrylics being applied as those may damage the finish.

In terms of Acrylic Metallic paints, Vallejo Metal Colour has served me really well.
Really nice effect, almost (but not quite) on par with Alclad, providing you use their Gloss Black primer, solid coverage and a decent selection of colours available.

Oops meant Ork

Get some proper brushes and such to clean the airbrush, shit will leave traces all over most of the time.
No matter how careful you are, and having some nice pipe-cleaner brushes to get into those nooks and crannies is a lifesaver.

I'll echo in that your need a stand for the brush and one of those cleaning stations is damn useful.

Also i have some grey knights HQs

thanks gents, mercifully cheap considering the hole in the wallet right now!

I painted those too. Absolutely hated them. First experience with finecast. Aweful stuff

Startup cost for airbrushing is monstrous, the rest of it is not that bad.

Yeah they are a pain but the end result is quite satisfying

Don't underestimate the importance of protecting your lungs. Certain paints (especially red) stink like a motherfucker and will do nasty things to your lungs. Also any kind of polyurethane primer, varnish, thinner, and cleaning fluid is horrible for you.

You can get disposable 3M respirators (pic related is mine) for ~$30

my crowe

my draigo (messed up the eyes, I blame finecast)

I'm working on a

>autoposted before I finished typing
I'm working on a draigo conversion rn using the SM terminator captain from the start collecting box. Will hack on a stormbolter to his wrist and I'm hoping to get one of the Inquisition stormshields from the new deathwatch kits.

>not buying the metal ones

Shame on you user. Shame on you.

> I blame finecast

You do know of course, you can buy them in metal on ebay?

Posted in /hhg/ but probably this is the better place?

How would you guys achieve this effect?
Looking to do something similar for my MK2 Jump Packs?
Would it be just wire attached to the base and then lots of flock?

I hated pewter back when I used it. I didn't know I'd hate finecast even more.

Love the base work guys looks bad ass

I just started converting some orruk ard boyz into to 40k ork ard boyz and I'm liking how they are looking some are going to have shields

Nice sword

Noice.

Finished a Deathwatch guy for the 40k facebook monthly contest. Haven't bought the "proper" ones yet, so I kitbashed it.

Excellent choice of chapters, user!

Trying to find a good scheme for my new Eldar that isn't used by any canon craftworlds. Came out with this.
I know the paint on the lamp head came out a little thick, fml.
I think I got the lights right though

Just got some secondhand wraithguard in the mail, all of them are really lumpy and covered in awful, thick paint. Hoping that all of the various lumps covering them are just paint and not the plastic fucked up.

But that's Alaitoc.

So i think i almost finished with my first ork of the bunch.

Things to do
>decide color for eyes. red, orange or maybe a dark green

>decide what to do with the shotta, as it is its still mainly primer i thought giving it a slap brass scorpion or something metal orshould i just leave it like this?

Thoughts and C&C always welcomed and appreciated

The photo won't make justice to the colors, it's actually a turquoise. And the head isn't yellow, just screaming skull.

But Alaitoc also have variant schemes with white helmets.
And there's no way that bliue is turquoise.

Give the black parts a spotty metal drybrush, gives it a chipped, well-worn look.

Orks are green ya git!

Fml
Idk man I used sotek green as a base, for shadows I used stegadon blue, and temple guard blue for highlights.

Looks like a very blue turquoise on my screen, the darker blue shading doesn't help though, but it is definitely a shade of turquoise.

Love the shade of blue. So glad someone is doing any kinds of Orks that aren't green, for once.

I say embrace it, use Alaitoc tranfers and whatnot.

That's how I'm doing up my wraith army, a slight color-shift of Iyanden. Bone and grey-blue instead of yellow and bright blue.

well my are blue because reasons, i wanted to be a special snowflake pun very well intended for my first army

My orks come from a iced over deathworld and lost their natural color and it turned to a blue because science, i will give them also a ice base once im finished with the whole start collecting box

well dont make me blush user, but im not the first with the idea just look up google and you can find some not so green orks

first few stages of weathering are now complete, tell me it looks like shit. like my picture taking abilities

it looks like shit, but i know you'll be wiping most of that off soon enough

Good lord, man, what did those exhaust vents ever do you you?

Clump foliage that is coated in 50% pva and 50% water.

Ya dun well... fer a grot!

The shading is a major improvement. The metals have purple on them and should be based a light brown.

love the wings, very crisp over all

You mean the embrodiery?

The "wetbrushing" still looks like crap, but overall a slight improvement

really great paintjob, but yeah that leg is just so fucking awful looking

I wish the shit armour was optional, it's a truly terrible design.
Nice paint job tho

How do i clean the recesses in this model? I had them soaking in nail polish remover but it hasnt really helped. Simple green hasnt worked either.

brighten up those highlights imo

>How do i clean the recesses in this model?

Did you scrub them hard with a toothbrush?

>I had them soaking in nail polish remover but it hasnt really helped. Simple green hasnt worked either.

This is a metal model, right? Were you using nail polish with acetone in it? Still couldn't get it? Maybe try something less safe ... but more effective.

Thanks! They've been my main army since 1997, after all.

Thanks. My brush is completely destroyed by the scrubbing. Would metal brushes be overkill?

The gloss would also help with the dust. also, fix the purple.

keep the arms magnetised. that way, when a new gambreaking weapon, like a super grav cannon is avalable, you do not need to shatter the titan to avoid paying £500 for a new one,

what dust and what purple

Really lovely, user. Even better than what I had in mind. Any progress?

Yes. Also consider carburetor cleaner from an auto store. I've stared using that for my pewters, and doesn't take long to soak. Dip the mini in for a minute, and get some on the toothbrush as you're about to start scrubbing.

They let you play 40k at work?

>Would metal brushes be overkill?

A brush with metal bristles would likely abrade the surface of and damage the details on your model. See if you can buy some cheap toothbrushes at the store with "Firm" (plastic) bristles instead.

Also, for getting in those tight spots (in between limbs, under weapons, etc.), I have eyelash brushes (pic related). My wife used to distribute these when she sold cosmetics, and the little bag of them has lasted me quite awhile. You could probably buy an inexpensive bag of them for yourself at the same kind of store that would sell you a cheap toothbrush with firm bristles.

Get a brush for cleaning dentures. Honestly they are perfect.

>They let you play 40k at work?

I thought was serious, too, but it was a typo. There have been a few anons I've seen here over the years who have boring jobs that require them to sit in chairs and man phones or other such boring tasks, and rather than watch TV or browse Tinder, they paint their armies. I was picturing this lad sitting here painting up da Boyz as his "work" army, and having a different army of perhaps Space Marines or Panzees that he works on when at home.

How did you get to that shade of blue? I've been working on a homebrewed IG regiment that's from an ice world, and that shade of blue would be great on the vehicles.

Pretty simple, I based it with p3 trollblood base, shaded it with drakenhoff nightshade and highlighted it again with Trollope

I hope I could help you user and good luck with your IG

Nicely done! The jewel at the end of gun defies gravity though.

I work at a hobbystore so yeah lol

Working on an Iron Hands captain.

Forgot the fucking pic.

Just finishing building my magos for inquisimunda.
The gm told us to go nuts with the models and make something cool.

Working on some corsair jetbikes to go with my freakshow (colourblind dark eldar user). Do they look ok? It's hard for me to see the gradient.

nice work user. i like your base, it looks very martian

very busy at work atm so progress is slow. the hazard stripes on the guns need some work but i like the contrast between white and purple. i also made the extra armour and flamer for the left side and primed the hull

at this tempo the war being eternal is a good thing

also DHL delivered this sweet retro thino today (+2 russes and a chimera)

What storage/racks do you guys use for your paint?

Can you recommend me something? So far i keep my stuff simply on a shelf and in a drawer, but i want to have a more organized workspace.

I saw various options of paint stations/racks and before i order something i would like to hear some opinions.

The most attractive option is pic related so far, the paint stands made by vallejo. Just 2 of the straight ones and only one corner to get an L shape.

I also saw wall mounted ones by ammo of mig, but they cost more and shipping is way more expensive.

Forgot my pic ofc.

thats better.

>wow, lions of sigmar! same!

The eyes cover the entire eyesocket instead of just the eyeballs and they have no eyelids. Smaller eyes and eyelids are important. Usually I put down a stripe of bone, followed by a dot for the iris, then I draw eyelids and use brown wash to pinwash shades for the eyesockets.

oi ya git these are pretty Nifty

But there aren't any engines in that direction?

I made my own. I think paintier got something similar too.