Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion

Frostmourne hunters... FOR ROCK! Edition.

Discuss the lore of the Warcraft universe and its potential uses in TTRPGs.

Other urls found in this thread:

wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Arcane
wow.gamepedia.com/Arcane#The_laws_of_arcane_magic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Whoops, forgot link to last thread:

gas the forsaken race war now

nth for best ship

xth for Maiv best elf.

She doesn't have a unique model because 99.9% of the time she's in full armor that IS unique.

>99.9% of the time she's in full armor that IS unique.
Only nelf to maintain her modesty

Who know what else covers themselves to maintain their modesty? Mooslims. Your girl is literally a mooslim.

come on man, it's 2016. 2016, the current year. There's nothing wrong with Muslims.

Did you think we had forgotten?

Arthas rocking out in post-TFT credits was so good.

>tfw no rare axe drop made from the Frozen Throne you can use to rock out with like Arcanite Ripper.

reminder that this is the best ship.

Furion doesn't say that she has to maintain her modesty or else rock giants will throw themselves at her.
That makes her different from farraki.

Will South Park ever make another WoW episode? I wish they made one about the twisted fucking TARDIS plot of WoD

The best ship is Turalyon and Alleria.
Sadly now blizzard remembers them so of course it'll be ruined.

I'm glad they didn't.

>DreadlordxLich King
eh, i'll ship it, why the fuck not?

I agree. Pure aryan love is best love.

How about spend more than a minute negotiating or actually call for the leader of the Wardens and speak with her?

didn't know they were indo iranian people

>call a psycho bitch who will say no
>the legion is going to the world tree.

>what is her normal model

She wasn't a psycho bitch yet. Tyrande helped push her to that point.

>stay in isolation for 10k years with your prisoner
>don't become psycho

She was always a psycho bitch. There's no way she'd have said 'yeah bruh it's cool you can have him'.

Psycho bitches fuck like animals though. I'd be all for her kinkyness.

Thralls death when?

remember when a blizzard guy told that warcraft is the story of thrall?

Does Metzen really do coke, or is that some joke?

have you seen him at a panel.
That dude has a stash of coke in the bathroom.

Remember when Activision bought Blizzard, and it no longer was their intellectual property?

it would explain a whole fuckton of things about WoD.

he doesn't even do warcraft anymore.
its all kosak and the meme team

Metzens cokekeeper is an official job at Blizzard.

She was fanatical, not psycho. But seeing her Watchers, including Naisha, repeatedly butchered and then Malf and Tyrande not do shit about it, and even let her go, started to drive her over the edge.

This

This won't become a meme, no matter how long you try to make it one.

So memes are worse than cocaine? We need to criminalise memes.

>She was fanatical, not psycho.
Semantics. Both lead to irrational behavior and an inability to be reasoned with. Just that one can be managed with drugs and therapy that no one had available when trying to get a demon hunter out of prison.

>muh niggah
When will these two just fuck and get all that tension out? Then they can finally calm the fuck down and fight the Legion together.

So everyone itt agrees Illidan recreating the Well of Eternity was the correct thing to do, right? He was absolutely right when he said the demons would be back. We needs dat magic mojo, mon.

>illidan is exiled from night elf lands at end of nelf tft campaign
>maiev goes nuts and chases after him into another planet.
yeah, totally balanced and sane minded.

>Semantics. Both lead to irrational behavior and an inability to be reasoned with
You mean like Tyrande?

All nelves are crazy.

and the crazier they are, the better they fuck

he was absolutely wrong when he said that.
Later lore changes contrived to make him right.

Its like rewriting the history books to say that operation barbarossa was defensive because the soviets were going to invade.

That was AFTER everything I just mentioned, asshat.

It wasn't a GOOD idea, since 'giant pool of magical energy' would get the Legion working double time to invade again. But he at least had a rational thought process, so it wasn't a BAD idea. Overall, not the dumbest thing Illidan has done.

But Illidan has a tendency to go way overboard, ruining what would have been otherwise decent ideas. I wonder what he was planning to do with the other vials he took...

Honestly, still not a big fan of arcane and fel magics being made separate with the recent lore books. Lore changes make him right, but at the time it seemed like a really stupid idea because arcane magic in high concentrations inevitably would attract demons.

What lore changes? The Legion came back in wc3, the game that introduced Illidan as a character.

Remember though that the demons had already come to Azeroth. Destroying the Well doesn't mean they're just going to ignore the world that defeated them. Even without the retcons, there's still a good chance they come back. Illidan was right, before and after the changes.

they came back because the well of eternity had been remade. The demons could use it as a portal to summon sargeras.

Its cutting a leg off your chair because you enjoy it when it rocks a little.

no it wasn't. She was obsessive and crazy. She told malf that the leader of the night elven people was dead because she wanted illidan to die just that badly.

Up until the most recent separation of fel and arcane magics (instead of fel being a subschool), Arcane Magic was inevitably corrupting, even if the most disciplined mages could slow the process somewhat. Strong enough mages were ticking timebombs into becoming fel users basically.

Is malfurion the most boring night elf character?

Maiev, Illidan and Tyrande are all fun to me.
Furion seems a bit soft compared to the others maybe.

The lore didn't change Illidan to being right about making a new Well of Eternity. Stop taking the "Illidan is a dindu" meme at face value.

Was that the case? I thought it was dangerous if you were using it recklessly, but if it was used properly and with caution, things were fine. After all the Nelves were using magic for a long ass time without anything going wrong. Also Dalaran seemed to handle it fine.

tyrande and malfurion are equally boring and irrelevant. the best thing you can say about tyrande is that atleast she didn't nap for ten thousand years

The entire reason the legion wanted to invade was because of the giant well of eternity.
That was what the world tree was supposed to protect from, by siphoning away it's magical energy.

Illidan remaking the well was the entire reason the legion returned to azeroth.

Arcane and fel magic have been separate sources since Warcraft III. Related, yes, but separate.

He's the generic wise guy character. I like him for what he is though, being generic doesn't necessarily mean being bad. He doesn't do much in WoW though, which is probably more the problem.

Yes, and the canon view is still that Illidan making a new Well of Eternity was a bad idea.

That was one reason of course. Do you really think they wouldn't want vengeance on the world that defeated them once though? Even without the Tree of Eternity they likely would've attacked.

wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Arcane
Luckily, wowwiki hasn't updated in a while so it has pre-retcon stuff.
>Magic is corrupting
>Magic corrupts the soul; if the humblest person in Azeroth became a practitioner of the arcane, by the time the practitioner reached the higher levels in their art, all traces of her humble roots would be lost. Magic breeds pride and arrogance. Magic corrupts the body; it ages the caster before their time and hastens the blight that the world inflicts on things fair and beautiful. Those who claim that only necromancy and fel magic have a destructive influence are fooling themselves.

So she's a bit clingy. Some chicks get a bit weird after being dumped. Give her some time to cool her hot head.

>wowwiki

>Also Dalaran seemed to handle it fine.

they did make themselves a target for demons though

>Let this scar signify the first blow against the mortal world
>From this seal shall arise the doom of men,
>who, in their arrogance, sought to wield our fire as their own.
>Blindly they build their kingdoms upon stolen knowledge and conceit.
>Now they shall be consumed by the very flame they sought to control.

Yeah, it's corrupting, but not to the extent of fel magic. Arcane magic is easier to tame.

wow.gamepedia.com/Arcane#The_laws_of_arcane_magic

It's still canon, by the way; it is even sourced from WoW itself.

Anyone know the name of the fanfic where Illidan commits suicide by kissing Vashj? Read it a decade ago and can't find it now.

>Warcraft Lore
Now not to be presumptuous or anything but it's that just;

"Someone gets corrupted, looks like the people who don't like each other very much will have to team up!"
or
"Some sort of omnicidal shitkickers have kick down our door, looks like the people who don't like each other very much will have to team up!"

yeah.
pretty much

Fair point. Counterpoint: the fact entire societies run on arcane magic means there's obviously ways to mitigate the danger of corruption. The people going mad from corruption are likely the freelancers, the poorly-trained and the reckless.

>Also Dalaran seemed to handle it fine.
Do you know why Dalaran is a thing?

After the troll wars the high elves were worried about human magic attracting demons, so they told/helped/asked the humans to concentrate their magic in a place behind wards.
Wards that could keep the magic hidden from demons.

Still magic was known to humans and still used outside of those wards, so the council of tirisfal was formed and the guardian was created to chase down demons that managed to find themselves to Azeroth.

>it's
isn't
>kick down
kicked down

God I must be tired I sound like I'm translating from polish, maybe I've been corrupted.

I thought he had the final say or something.

he took the titan crash personally and is devoted to overwatch.

It was their first true failure, Metzen must have been crushed that he bought an ounce less of his nose clams

bruh, Starcraft ghost was a thing.

The way I look at it is that arcane magic IS corrupting, but the wide education available allows its users to control it better. That, and although it can be bad, it's still not as bad as fel, where you're pretty much guaranteed to either blow up or go full demon.

Ghost didn't have nearly as much money and time funneled into it as Titan did though, let's be real.

>can't wait to see ancient Kalimdor
>do Dragon Soul
>It's just HE and NE assets in the woods upstate

Pretty, but disappointed.

To be fair, expecting them to create all new assets just for one dungeon is a bit insane.

yeah, titan was cancelled because it would probably clash with destiny.

>Wards that could keep the magic hidden from demons.
Scratch that.
I was looking up a source for it. I was sure that was what I read, but I can't find it anymore.

Maybe I assumed that's what they did in Dalaran since the Elves of Quel'Thalas did with their runestones, barriers for arcane magic so demons couldn't sense them.

Right, that's pretty much what I thought. The corruption aspect is interesting though, because obviously warlocks become more demonic as they get corrupted, but what happens to corrupted arcane users after the changes to magic?

>Magic breeds pride and arrogance. Magic corrupts the body; it ages the caster before their time and hastens the blight that the world inflicts on things fair and beautiful.

To be honest many (most?) of the human and elf magic users absolutely contradict that claim. Maybe it was anti-magic propaganda all along.

>but what happens to corrupted arcane users after the changes to magic?
You start thinking maybe a fel supplement would work well with my magic.

Maybe if they kept it a raid as they said they would.

Another broken promise thanks to Titan

If I remember right, Dalaran was just a city state that grew for the shared desire to learn more about magic.

With so much arcane magic being used in one area without any precautions, demons started popping up everywhere and wrecking everything. Some of the best mages in Dalaran tried to manage the demons, and failed.

So they went to High Elves for help, and that is where the Guardian of Tirisfall came from. Lets put a bunch of magic into one person so they can manage the demon shit.

illusions

What if I just want a very happy unbirthday party?

Magic is something an elf does for money.

Maybe not demons popping up everywhere, but at least popping up at all and becoming a problem.
Yeah that seems to be what happened.

In my headcanon the elves also help with warding Dalaran for more mundane arcane use, just like they warded Quel'Thalas.

Not everywhere, but some coming through the twisting nether into Dalaran, and causing enough trouble for the council to address it and worry about public opinion.

I imagine once Dalaran asked for help from the Elves, and learned more about the history of arcane magic and demons, that they would have taken steps with wards and the sort.

Also I think the orgin of Dalaran is the second generation of mages, who learned from the original 100, or 1,000 I don't remember the number, from the troll wars.

They didn't share the same sense of importance and care in the use of magic like the first gen did.

Thoughts on these? Do they exist in your campaign?

>Also I think the orgin of Dalaran is the second generation of mages, who learned from the original 100, or 1,000 I don't remember the number, from the troll wars.

Yeah that is likely.
I feel like 100 is not enough to found Dalaran.

I guess the maybe the 100 with families, servants and followers could, but most likely second generation.
>They didn't share the same sense of importance and care in the use of magic like the first gen did.

Also because of that

Spellbreakers are a thing so they exist.

Rune punch mages would not, nor would tech slayer. Punchmage is just a monk, and Techslayer would just be a dumdum warrior.

>and Techslayer would just be a dumdum warrior.

The picture doesn't really do them justice.
The little info there is of them, makes mention that people close to nature like shamans and druids can take the techslayer path.

It's basically studying technology, and using technology to fight technology.

Druid using some tech, maybe specializes in bombing venture co facilities to protect nature.
Through his engineering he knows where to strike and can use bombs to aid him.

Punchmage is an arcane monk

Without the retcon of Azeroth being a baby titan, the Legion didn't necessarily have a particular interest in Azeroth other than getting pissed off at failing to invade. However, huge sources of magic is something they want, so the Well of Eternity both acts as huge beacon for demons, and gives them a strategic reason to invade Azeroth.

According to that picture, the moon was a lot bigger in pre-Sundering Azeroth. That's like 10 times the size of it in WoW.
Also, did they ever re-add the second moon in WoW? It disappeared sometime during vanilla (something about implementing weather effects somehow messing it up), and I can't recall seeing it since, despite Azeroth having too moon still being mentioned in the lore.

He technically has, but from what I understands he's busy running the company and so high up the chain of command he rarely has any idea what the people writing the story are actually up to, so most of the time it apparently boils down to somebody calling him and saying they have this idea for a story, and if he approves of it, and he goes "sure, whatever" and goes back to doing coke.

Yeah, it's back on Azeroth. I think Mists, maybe Cata?

Don't know about the expansion continents though.

Does legion bring darker nights back to WoW yet?