EDH/Commander General

Can't be worse than the last few edition.

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Thread topic: does Serra Ascendant make mono-white a good color for commander?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/stop-hanna-time/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jenaras-bant-enchantress/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/little-teysa-3/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-08-16-isamaru-voltron/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How about instead of that thread topic we discuss how to build the best possible mono white deck

It is my honest opinion that cards like Serra Ascendant, Sorin Markov and Magister Sphinx should either be banned, or have new oracle rulings that are more in line with newer things like Blood Baron Vizkopa (10 less/more than starting life total).

Also ban Sol Ring already.

Eggs!

Serra Ascendant can just be countered by Mental Misstep, it's clearly very weak.

Blood Baron Vizkopa is 30/10. It is not the right example. Anya is the proper template.

Ban sol ring sure, but I think those other cards are all fine, hardly see anybody play them anyway

Like I get that the weren't designed with 40 life in mind, but if it ain't broke don't fix it

I could see Serra ascendant being a problem in medium to low power metas though

It's literally just a vanilla 6/6 flying lifelink, it should never be a problem.

In my mind it's not so much a power level issue as it is an obvious "this ruling assumed a 20 life format" issue. It's also ridiculous that the esper combo deck gets to take the brunt of the aggro/midrange deck's assault, wrath the table and ping someone for 30 damage by reanimating a Magister Sphinx. That card would be decent enough and playable in the right shell even if it only brought people down to "half his or her starting life total".

D&T, singleton edition.

Plus that would also make it better at playing a defensive role. You're down low? Magister Sphinx yourself back up to 20. It just feels more logical that way. It would be a buff under certain circumstances but at least the card would work more like it's supposed to, instead of being a "target opponent loses 30 life on ETB".

Serra Ascendant would become weak shit that only goes in lifegain decks, which is what Serra Ascendant was supposed to be in the first place.

I still don't think magister Sphinx is an attractive option as is, you need to be pretty aggro to take advantage of it, otherwise it's not as good as other splashy big creatures

The only problem with your idea is that it's shitty for people, especially noobs to have cards that don't do what they say they do

And I think that outweighs any positives of the cards playing like they were designed to play

It's not the scariest card in a Sharuum list but it's certainly one of the most annoying ones. Gruul / Boros decks have to actually work to get people down to 10, then the Sharuum player does the same AND generates a 5/5 flying just with his commander's ETB, only reminding everyone else that they're retards for trying to play decks that rely on the combat phase.

It presents no real balance issues but it "feels bad", and if I learned anything of the chucklefucks forming the rules committee, it's that they base all their decisions on what "feels" right, so this calls for either a ban or (much preferably) an oracle ruling.

EDH isn't broken because of these cards, they're just highly annoying and so very obviously not working as intended.

This thread seems off to a decent enough start to post this.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/stop-hanna-time/

I ordered this deck a couple days ago, and it seems like it's off to a pretty good start, but I feel like it needs a bit of a tune-up, anyone got any suggestions or know other things I just outright missed?

Fair enough. I also hate when cards don't do what they say. And it would suck for a bright-eyed new player to spend 10$+ on a Serra Ascendant or Sphinx only to be told "Um actually it doesn't work that way."

yes and lightning bolt should do 6 damage to players, and blaze should do XX damage to players instead of just X, and healing salve should heal 6 damage, and

How do you personally make proxies? I'm wondering because I want to draw some cards on paper and put it in a sleeve over a basic land, due to my intense desire to make a tron deck and my intense lack of money

I want to capitalize on Surrak Dragonclaw by using exclusively creatures (and lands).
I'll need ramp, removal, and most importantly card draw.
What are the best of those in RUG creatures?

Also, other recommendations?

Primal Surge?

Creatures that have ETB efects, Landfall, flickers, land ramp, etc.

If I'm proxying a whole deck to test, I print out pages of card images in black and white, cut them out, and sleeve them in front of one of my existing decks for a few days. If I'm only missing a couple cards in a deck I just tear off a piece of paper and write the name, cost, and rules text on it and sleeve that in front of a basic land or something.

I just color print out roughly same sized pictures of the cards and slide those in front of basic lands with sleeve

It's pretty easy but even that much effort isn't necessary if you don't care about aesthetics at all, you can just write the name of the card on a basic or a slip of paper in front of a basic

Yeah, I'll make an exception and have that as the only non-creature spell.

I know that, I was asking about specifics. I know of elves that drop lands and I know of Mulldrifter but I was wondering about other good draw engines and stuff.

Wood elves, Sakura tribe elder, birds of paradise

flame tongue kavu, venser shaper savant, Rec sage

Mulldrifter, zegana, fathom Mage

Don't forget to have some way to deal with a Torpor Orb or Hushwing Gryff.

Go into more detail, it seems like a fine argument, why is it a false equivalence?

Every card that deals with lifegain damage or life loss was designed with 20 life in mind

It is my honest opinion that you are a whiny baby with poopy diapers that need changing

I partially agree with you about sol ring

Caustic caterpillar is okay

Well, bolt can also hit creatures.

I do wonder why people don't mention Elderscale Wurm in these arguments though. Do people feel as strongly that it should stop damage taking you below 14?

Thanks!

Good call
Seems like a good choice. Thank you!

Anyone got a good Geist voltron list?

I think at that point it becomes a matter of perception. Elderscale Wurm still feels like it's working as intended. A card like Worldfire (though it's banned) still feels like it's working as intended, no one would argue that it needs to put people at 2.

When you look at cards like Ascendant and Magister Sphinx though, it gets more subjective. Ascendant, read as is, is active at 30 life. One side says that's working as intended in EDH, another side says it's supposed to get bigger when you gain life and shouldn't be active without lifegain support (eg. the way it was designed for 20-life formats). Magister Sphinx puts people at 10 life in either format, techincally "working as intended". In one format it pings someone for 10, in another it pings for 30. Huge difference. Triple the life lost on ETB on a full-life player. So some players say it doesn't work as intended.

So in the end, this topic is really fucking subjective. None of the cards discussed are broken though so it just gets swept under the rug with a shrug and a git gud.

so it's subjective about how Ascendant and Sphinx works (X number vs. half your starting life total) but not about how Elderscale works (it's 7 life, hardstop)

People constantly complain about these fucking cards and yet you hardly every see them used. Ascendant goes from unusable to barely playable in EDH (it's a t1-3 6/6 flyig lifelink, t4+ it's a 1/1 lifelink). Sphinx goes from niche playability (halve your opponent's lifetotal, but can never kill them) to dangerous but also painting a massive target on your head (deal 30 damage to target player). By the time you can cast Sphinx you could be dropping Omniscience or Tooth and Nail or Mind over Matter combo or literally any other combo that wins the god damn game instead of just fucking over one player and making everyone hate you.

Actually people play Serra ascendant in martyr of sands mono white modern decks

is there anything good to do with iname as one? i have one and i kind of want to play it just because its so stupidly expensive, but it just doesn't really seem worth it in any scenario...

well I learned something today

I'm happy that stupid motherfucker actually gets played

It's not an amazing deck but it's pretty cute when it works

Iname death aspect is significantly better even if you ignore the difference in mana cost

Honestly I agree that Serra ascendant isn't that amazing but this meme that it becomes a 1/1 later in the game is ludicrous as fuck, if you drop it turn 1 you likely gain 6-12 life with it before it's removed depending on whether you're able to get some political swings in

It's not hard to remove but it's almost never going to be less than a 6/6, much more likely that it dies than it is you go below 30 life with it out

Honestly since when do people go below 30 life anyway? Only when they lose the game

Ban Deadeye "goes infinite as soon as it resolves" Navigator

That's not how deadeye works though, you're thinking of palinchron

anyone ever used tetsuo?

It's a meh card with a few strong interactions. Brago is much worse, but even he's fine.

You're being dishonesty here. While I agree that it's banworthy, it certainly has more than just "a few" strong interactions. Deadeye combos with everything. It doesn't go infinite with everything but it provides crazy value with 75%+ of the UG staple creatures worth playing in this format.

I'm too drunk to type, let me start over.

You're being dishonest here. While I agree that it isn't banworthy*

But he's six mana, eight if you want to use him the turn he comes. There are lots of more powerful 8 mana creatures out there, that require half as much setup.

>Brago more broken than deadeye
dude fucking what

like 8 mana matters in UG

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jenaras-bant-enchantress/

Any ideas on what cool stuff can I make for it to be both fun and efficient/semi-competitive. This is Bant enchantress with Jenara so far, but I am considering throwing blue away and making it Sigarda enchantress instead.

DEN is one of those creatures that can completely take over a game when paired with almost anything, IF the game goes long and you have the mana necessary to start leveraging it properly. It doesn't require a ton of setup, just a lot of mana and any creature with a decent ETB. If you compare it to something like Brago, you come to the conclusion that though Brago is a much better card, it doesn't take over the late-game as efficiently and with as little setup as DEN, because it has to jump through more hoops.

I've looked through every commander at edhrec and I just can't find a commander that screams choose me. I love synergy and VALUE, any tips?

DEN's just a lot better in longer, grindier games. Which is why everyone should play stax or run plenty of MLD to make sure nothing can happen even in the late game. I'm not being facetious, fuck ramp and fuck your lands and fuck your DEN, if someone gets 6+ mana at my table I deserve to lose.

Karador is pretty much as good as it gets if you just have a boner for the concept of VALUE.

Teysa the Scion. She's all about turbo charging your creatures with value and running synergy. She's not even that token heavy - all token producers are value creatures. That's my list for reference, I think it's pretty tight, although some cards are sub-optimal for flavour reasons.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/little-teysa-3/

The Azami Wizard deck has fantastic value and synergy. I hope you like Islands.

>It doesn't require a ton of setup, just a lot of mana and any creature with a decent ETB.
I agree with you in general, but this is one of those things that bothers me. On a normal curve you can drop brago, flicker various permanents, and win the game. DEN requires a high value creature to hit the battlefield AND survive a turn before you drop DEN and spend 8 mana flickering it, just to get the ETB once. That's no different, in my opinion, from having Xenagos on the battlefield, casting Malignus. and using a Vines of Vastwood. 8 mana in any deck should win you the game, particularly if it requires invested resources before hand. I just find dead eye underwhelming in general unless you hit one of his combo pieces. If you have good ETB creatures in UW that win the game with two ETBs, let me know and I'll start using them.

1. You talk like Brago just wins as soon as you cast him. You need to attack with him, connect with an opponent, and then have other things that provide decent value when flickered. That's more setup required than "you can drop Brago and win the game".

2. Malignus, Vines and Xenagos is a 3-cards combo that MAYBE kills one opponent if no interaction happens.

3. If you have 8 mana, cast a DEN and the soulbond trigger resolves, you'd normally keep up the remaining 2 mana as protection from spot removal until you can go crazy on your following turn. There are few cards that will straight up win the game from a single flicker, but you can't ignore that if DEN survives, it lets you flicker a whole fucking lot more than a meager two times. And it's not all that hard to protect the DEN even with soulbond on the stack, if you have the mana: beyond the usual counterspells you'd usually run, any flash creature or token producer can let you bond and flicker the DEN in response to spot removal used in response to soulbond. DEN's ceiling is equal to how much mana you have available, it's a fucking beating in the late game and a huge stall-breaker because when everyone's engaging in the cold war antics that define this faggot format (sitting back and preparing some big plays that will BTFO everyone else), a competent player with a DEN can usually work the situation to his advantage.

Basically, DEN is a broken card only in those games that go long enough for mana to no longer be an issue, and it tends to be better than other big mana cards in those circumstance. If the game goes on to turn 9 then fuck yes DEN is scarier than Emrakul or whatever the fuck else you can think of. This is a symptom of EDH being a retarded format where games go on forever more than it is one of DEN being broken. In a high-powered meta with no excessive durdling, Brago or Palinchron would typically be scarier cards for their ability to take over / combo off much earlier.

Fair enough, that is a reasonable opinion.

Why the fuck has everyone in these threads worshipping STAX as the best archetype to exist? Is it REALLY that fun to lock people out of the game aND watch them scoop? Why even play EDH, much less Magic if your only goal is to make sure no one else is going to play? I can see it in high powered metas but do you need to lock out Timmy's Crawford Wurm deck? And don't tell me about getting good, I'm fine thank you.

Same user here.
I'm bored and I have 17 more pieces of paper. Recommend me some Commanders to redraw. Quality not guaranteed

The only deck archetype anyone should worship is Skithiryx Infect

Or Ruric Thar Stax.

So basically, DEN is broken for the same reason Rhystic Study is broken: because EDH is a dumb format played mostly by retards?

A lot of people play in competitive meta. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing games where everyone is nice and just playing fun cards. But in a meta with infect Rhys,Marchesa, infinite turns Jeleva and Maelstrom Wanderer - fuck yes I will be playing Mindslaver locks and Darkest Hours combo.

Shut the fuck up, (YOU) faggots sitting are getting just as bad.

Anafenza hatebears. With MLD.

>So basically, DEN is broken for the same reason Rhystic Study is broken

rhystic study isn't broken though, just demand the person playing it not to draw any cards on your spells and you're set

Any ideas?

You funny. Me like you.

>rhystic study isn't broken
No, but it's really fucking annoying.

It's really hard to beat someone casting 15+ mana worth of UGx spells every turn unless you are yourself casting 16+ mana worth of UGx spells every turn, which feeds into the endless UGx big mana arms race that only stops when one brave player takes it upon themselves to become the stax player the format needs (not the one it wants) and makes sure no one has any mana anymore and things can be, if not fun, then at least reasonable again.

>implying
We post on Veeky Forums user, most of these people are edgy summer time retards who think the pinnacle of skill is making people mad during their hobbies.

Also, this.

>One-turn combo kills made of 3-4 parts that you have to protect and assemble
>"lol you're so tryhard, this isn't fun"

>Control lock or Slaver
>"haha so unfun, blue players are the worst"

>Disgusting ramp into voltron commander and cast shitlots of haste fatties with nigh infinite mana
>"This is perfectly fair! I don't deserve to get shat on, this is what magic is about!"
>Proceed to whine and shit himself when someone stax/MLD to stop him

Did someone say ramp into Voltron?

Did someone say "Best commander"?

Did someone say "Battlecruiser Magic only Final Destination"?

>play a spell, ask if it resolves, everyone shrugs including the rhystic study player
>go through my turn, pass to next player
>Rhystic Study player, one minute later, goes "Oh, did you pay 1 extra for that spell?"
>"No, I did not."
>he moves to draw
>tell him that he can't because he forgot his trigger and that was like two minutes ago
>he argues that I'm the one who forgot to pay and therefore he should be able to draw and he never fucking lets go until the table agrees to let him have his card
Why are rhystic study players such fucking faggots, /edhg/? At least learn the rules of the fucking cards you're playing.

Meren of clan nel Toth

We had this same discussion in our playgroup, I had to lay down the law

Rhystic study is just a feelbad card all around, probably my least favorite card ever

To be fair though, sometimes people were in the habit of racing through their turn with no regard for Rhystic study, so it's not 100% on the Rhystic study player in all cases, but definitely in the situation you described where the Rhystic study player actively passes priority after your spell

Two classic asshole commanders just for you guys

Anyone ever built around Hellkite Tyrant? What are some good artifact generators in WBR colors? I'm in the mood for a fun, janky deck

I dunno. Usually I finish games with Azami at abput 15-25 life.

Resistance is still futile tho.

My Ephara deck very often ends the game at I'm going to take a huge chunk of damage this turn if I do nothing, but I won't die
>ok, cast Ephara, take the turn off, hope for the best
>I survive, Ephara survives, I start taking over

stuff that makes clue tokens might work.

What is Veeky Forums's favourite build of Oloro? I can't decide what to do with him, although I'm leaning towards esper stax.

So I was here the other day asking advice on my Athreos commander. Here's a list, taking suggestions, criticisms, et cetera:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-08-16-athreos-commander/

Artifact tokens is the right idea, clue tokens are easy to make but also it's easy to make a million thopters or myr

I also think you want Vedalken orrery otherwise tyrant will never live long enough to trigger

Lightning greaves and Swiftfoot boots are also a must

Please rate my deck? I don't know why it keeps getting ignored. :(

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-08-16-isamaru-voltron/

Uril the Miststalker AKA "enchant me, it really doesn't matter what"

>driend is priding himself on having made a 5 color superfriends deck with doubling season added to it

I want to shatter his dreams, other than thief of blood what are some counter stealing cards?

I wouldn't say it was "around" Hellkite Tyrant, but Hellkite Tyrant is a wincon in my Riku Investigate deck.
Casting Second Harvest four times in a row with Reverberate and two Riku triggers was probably my best memory of that deck. It's a joke/gimmick/amusing experiment deck at best.

Isamaru really needs good equipment, you're missing all the swords of X and y and the jitte

I realize you to probably won't get those for budget reasons though

I can give you a hint

Enchantress is pure value

>I cast seal of primordium for 1 mana, I gain 1 life and draw 2 cards, I destroy your mana rock, draw another card
>end of turn I discard 5 auras to hand size
>next turn I cast Uril and replenish :^)

You got that right. Otherwise, decent? Just dunno if it'll do better in 1 on 1 or multiplayer

>$4

How are those investments in painted cardboard working out?

Who the hell invests in MtG cards as anything greater than immediate reselling? Nobody would resell a card that's about to be reprinted.

"Investing" in anything that isn't on the reserve list is stupid.

Not that investing in reserve list cards is all that intelligent either.

>burgeoning's getting a reprint
>investfags getting blown the fuck out again
I'm happy with every part of this.
>every green deck will now run burgeoning
Wait I take that back I hate everything about this.

I'm going to bed I'll be back to check suggestions in the morning. Goodnight Veeky Forums, you glorious faggots