D&D is good

Every edition of D&D is playable. Most editions are genuinely good. Some editions are fantastic.

Start edition war? or D&D suck vs ever other RPG?
Choices

I wasn't kidding, though. D&D editions range from okay to great. The very first and very most recent editions are the best ones.

Every edition of D&D is unplayable. Most editions are genuinely bad. Some editions are terrible.

How do I get into playing DnD on here? I've never played at all but I'd like to learn, I like the role playing aspect a lot. Is being on mobile a problem?

Its a huge disadvantage but not impossible.

Could you point me in the right way to start?

buy and/or pirate the core rule books, obtain friends to play with, play game

3.5 is pretty bad, really. It's got far too many rules that just add complexity without depth.

3.5 is pure garbage. The core book lies to you out of the box, it tells you things work one way when the system itself has them work another, and the advice it gives to GM's is worse than useless as it can be an active detriment to attempting to run a fun game with it.

2e, 4e and 5e are all good for different things. My personal favourite is 4e, because I really like the mechanics and don't particularly care that it doesn't 'feel like' D&D.

I would agree with this. Even 3.5 and Pathfinder have a wide breadth of options and work fairly well.

Most of the criticisms against D&D here on Veeky Forums seem to ignore the facts that 1) D&D is not the only RPG with flaws or balance issues, it's just the most popular and therefore its flaws and balance issues are more well known, and 2) D&D is inherently a social activity, and like every social activity, a bad player or DM ignoring everyone else's fun in favor of his own is going to ruin the experience. This is constant across every RPG ever.

One valid criticism against it is that people seem to play D&D exclusively and ignore other systems. But that's a problem with the market, not the product.

I agree with all of this.

3.5 is great. It's got fun mechanics with a lot of depth, and they're all very closely tied with the core mechanics so it's easy to learn and use, regardless of how broad and wide the rules may get.

It's also got superior raw mechanics to older editions, in a bit of a "standing on the shoulders of giants" manner.

>It's also got superior raw mechanics to older editions

Hahahahahaha
Hahaha
Hahahahahahahahaha
Haaahahahahahahahahaha
Ha
Ha
Haaaaaa

You're a funny guy.

I prefer the way the rules revolve around the core system more strongly, and the lack of fiddly bits like excessive tables for things like individual skills or weapons or classes leveling up at different rates, and all sorts of other rules that could have been retooled better, and ultimately were.

I can see your point, but only structurally. 3.5 had some decent ideas in how its systems interacted, but those systems themselves were an utter clusterfuck which actively worked against itself.

>those systems themselves were an utter clusterfuck which actively worked against itself.

The same can be argued even more strongly about earlier editions of D&D.

I'll say this for 3.X - it's easier to homebrew for than any other RPG I've ever played.

That's a blatant lie and you know it.

>Most editions are pretty bad. some editions are alright.
ftfy
Ill give it to you that every edition is playable, none of them get as bad as shit like fatal.

>I'm a blatant troll and you know it

Go on, tell people their experiences again.

It's easy to homebrew because the homebrewer has already convinced himself that it's the only game in existence worth playing, and is therefore unlikely to conclude that other games would serve his needs better.

>still trolling

C'mon. Enough with these old myths.
Hell, your statement doesn't even really make a direct line of sense, and just sounds like you were trying to cram in a random myth.

It's easier to homebrew since the published material already ranges from absolute trash to hilariously overpowered, so you're less likely to top that.

>not even trying to hide it anymore

Can you put on a trip?

I don't know what you're talking about, it was my first post in this thread.

Basic D&D is much, much, much, much easier to homebrew.

Nope. I just find it easier to come up with new stuff for 3.X. It has just enough moving parts that you can get really granular, but not so many moving parts that you can't see what the effects on the whole system will be.

Consider how easily new subsystems can be added on to the 3.X chasis as well, or taken out - Maneuvers, Psionics, Incarnum,, the Mastermind System, the Force, etc.

I'll take your word for it; never played Basic.

>I'll take your word for it; never played Basic.
In 3.x, when you change something, you have to worry about what sort of side effects that change might have. There's enough complexity to the system that things interweave. In Basic? There's so little there that the effects of most changes are obvious and they're unlikely to cascade.

>myths
So D&Dfinder players refusing to use any other system that is far superior than d20 for what they are trying to do is a myth now?

Myths sure have become much closer to absolute truth in recent years.

>far superior

Troll confirmed.
Tried too hard, sorry. Better luck next time.

Unpopular opinions, even stated bluntly, are not bait.

>My personal favourite is 4e

What is your problem user? goddamn
Combat is slow as fuck, it incentivazes you to play like a boardgame rather than a roleplaying game, all of the classes are the same, magic doesn't have those fun creative out of the box utilities anymore...

I know you didn't say it was the best, it's just your favorite, but man... I don't think it can even be considered a good system.

All your criticisms are either incorrect or out of date.

How?

>Combat is slow as fuck,
MM3 and onward (with an update for MM1 and MM2) monster design is very aggressive; there's pretty much no way for a fight to be slow because taking too long to win just means you die.

>it incentivazes you to play like a boardgame rather than a roleplaying game,
Gibberish complaint. Articulate the point more clearly so that it can be dissected.

> all of the classes are the same,
Play a Fighter like a Wizard and you will be useless. Play a Wizard like a Fighter and you will be dead.

>magic doesn't have those fun creative out of the box utilities anymore...
Does 3.PF have a window of defenestration? No? Though I'm gonna go ahead and guess that by "fun creative out of the box" you mean "I cast Dominate Person," since I've never had trouble improvising with my powers out of combat so long as I wasn't looking to just auto-solve a problem.

>all of the classes are the same

This was mentioned before. This is a false perception brought about due to the game using standard formatting. Everything is laid out the same in clear, easy to understand ways, which makes them seem more similar. In practice, I find abilities in 4e are actually more varied and interesting in practice than 3.PF, which tends to represent very similar and boring abilities in different ways to create an illusion of variety.

5e is an incredibly simple and super fun system. I feel like I have a complete grasp of the rules and everything from character creation to actual combat is easy to navigate. The advantage system is a godsend and makes it easy to reward players for thinking creatively.

Sure, other systems do specific things better, but 5e is an all-around fun game.

howdoes it feel to know your edition is only good while mine is fantastic you fucking loser?

It's actually a popular opinion. The various editions of D&D are all the most played games.

>Everyone who disagrees with me is a troll!

Fuck man, this is just sad. It's not even the same person.

>damage-controll

Pathetic.

>Every edition of D&D is playable.
Yes.
>Most editions are genuinely good.
Doubtful.
>Some editions are fantastic.
Just no.

>Some editions are fantastic.
deendeefags confirmed for having low standards

Combat in 4e is designed to take a long time so the players feel like they are having an epic fight. Sure, you have a bunch of minions who die on 1 hit, but then you have the bosses with tons of hp to compensate for the players abilites that do tons of damage and all that. It isn't a player's choice to drag the encounters, it's just how it works.

About the boardgame thing, the game was made to be played with miniatures, most of the abilities use the grid on the board, and in the end you have your players thinking about the game in terms of the board and the meta game in general, instead of imagining the action. It kinda forces you to strategize with other people's abilities not in terms of map placement in general, but in very specific grid squares, which might be fun to do on another game, but it's not really fiting for a roleplaying game.

Of course, I didn't mean all the classes are literally the same, but they are basically divided in melee attack and ranged attack, playing a ranger or a wizard is essentially the same thing. Sure, you have a few different bonuses, different elemental properties, but the mechanics work the same way.

And then, obviously when I talk about fun spells I am talking about stuff that ranges from utilitary spells, like a Minor Illusion, to combat oriented magic with interesting properties that can be used creatively in other ways. Like... I don't know, this one time on 5th edition I was trapped in a dungeon, the prison cells worked like elevators, so most of the time the prisoners were hidden below ground level, then, to escape I cast Windwall, a spell that creates a wall of wind that rises from the ground and hurts people who try to pass through, but I cast it under the elevator, so when it rises it pushes me upwards. I don't know what you mean by improvising powers, though. Do you just creates spells on the fly to compensate for the system's lack of noncombat spells?

>Combat in 4e is designed to take a long time [...]
Except that, again, if you take more than 5 or 6 rounds to win a fight against an MM3-math encounter, chances are the party is flat on its ass or flat out dead.

There are certainly a lot of decisions to be made, and it's true you probably won't ever see a combat-as-war paradigm like older D&D where most fights were exactly one round, but they aren't slogs anymore.

>About the boardgame thing, the game was made to be played with miniatures, most of the abilities use the grid on the board, [...]
As opposed to other editions of D&D, which were just as deeply demonstrating D&D's wargame roots in terms of mechanical weight, but just didn't do anything with it?

The reason you could theater-of-mind a fight in 3e wasn't because the rules were helping you do so, but because the rules didn't have enough tactical depth to make tracking position worth it.

>It kinda forces you to strategize with other people's abilities not in terms of map placement in general, [...]
This makes no sense. What is "placement in general" if not a measure of a character's general location and ability to act, which the grid represents? Are you trying to talk about an abstract locational system like zones, which D&D has never, ever had?

>Of course, I didn't mean all the classes are literally the same, but they are basically divided in melee attack and ranged attack, [...]
Absolutely false. Again, play a Wizard like a Warlock or vice versa, even in a general sense like "where to stand" and "when to use your Dailies/Encounters", and you will be fucking useless to your party.

>Minor Illusion, [...]
Not only present in 4e, but usable at-fucking-will from level 1 (Wizard's cantrips included Prestidigitation from the start and expanded later to include a variety of illusory effects such as Ghost Sound and Dancing Lights)

>I don't know what you mean by improvising powers, though. Do you just creates spells on the fly to compensate for the system's lack of noncombat spells?
I mean doing exactly what you did with Wind Wall: doing things the power makes sense to do, even if it isn't explicitly stated.

Wall of Iron to create a temporary bridge, Curse of the Betrayer to start a tavern brawl, Mass Resistance to cloak a caravan against freezing winds, etc. All shit I did without any issue in 4e.

To say nothing of, you know, Utility Powers and Rituals, which I've been letting you ignore because I imagine you'd complain about the gold cost for doing something miraculous and magical.

Being fair, as someone who likes 4e, I still think the Ritual system was underdeveloped and overcosted, and that they didn't do enough to explore out of combat utility powers. Those that exist are really cool, I just wish there'd been more of them, and that they'd used more things like Healing Surge costs for non-permanent rituals.

OD&D is great.

Objective tiers:

Objectively Good:

Basic

Good But Ruined Reputation By 3.5fags:

4e

Pretty Good:

Ok With the Right Books:

Serviceable:

5e, ADnD

What the Fuck:

ODnD, 3.0

What? OD&D is great.

I've enjoyed every edition of D&D I've played.

My first encounter was with AD&D at about age 8, later got into 3.0 right around the time it was released. I got the 3.0 rulebooks for Christmas so I paid the earlier editions no mind.

I continued playing on through 3.5, a small amount of 4th, and now am running a 5E campaign. I'm kind-of enamored with 5E so while I did have fond memories of previous editions, I'm not eager to go back to them. I don't exactly hate 3.x and 4th, but I bust balls whenever a friend suggests either.

That said, I enjoy playing with my group regardless. Good players + ok game still sounds like a fun evening to me.

I put basic at the top but original d&d is a fucking mess bro

Wrong

True Tiers

God Tier
BECMI
B/X
Rules Cyclopedia

Great Tier
2e

Good Tier
4e

Okay Tier
1e
5e

Bad Tier

Lower Than Whaleshit Tier

Bonus Tiers

Wannabe Whaleshit Tier
Pathfinder
Fantasycraft
Dungeon Crawl Classics

Wannabe Tier
Palladium Fantasy
Hackmaster

Oh Shit Nigger What Are You Doing Tier
FATAL

Snuff-fic Tier
Lamentations of the Flame Princess

for its time

>hating DCC and acting like it's 3.5 because ascending AC and a few rules

Fuck off with this meme, ADnD has so much more fiddly shit.

>putting 3 above 3.5

3 was absolute garbage you nerd