Is this any good? I've been wanting to try it for a while

Is this any good? I've been wanting to try it for a while.

Other urls found in this thread:

pokeroleproject.wixsite.com/pokerole/resources
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you have just a GM and 1 player, maybe 2, then yes. Otherwise, having 7 character sheets per player can be daunting.

Don't get me wrong, if you're seriously organised you can do larger parties, but most people aren't so you're gonna have people tell you it's unequivocally shit

>fire
>grass
>water
>fighting
>???
>dark
>electric
>???
>???
>psychic
>steel
>???
>flying
>???
>???
>ice
>normal
>poison

Gen II player here, what in the goddamm fuck happened to Pokemon?

No really, what the fuck is all that? Not trolling, I'm legitimately curious

Outer Circle (Clockwise):
-Fire
-Water
-Dark
-Psychic
-Fairy
-Poison
-Normal
-Ice
-Steel
-Electric
-Fighting
-Grass

Inner Circle (Clockwise):
-Dragon
-Ground
-Ghost
-Flying
-Bug
-Rock

I might have ground and rock backwards. Don't know tcg circles.

>outer, clockwise
Fire, water, dark, psychic, fairy (I think), poison, normal, ice, steel, electric, fighting, grass
>inner, clockwise
Dragon, rock, ghost, flying, bug, ground
Ground and rock might be switched.

could you not even guess at the Ghost, Insect, rock and fairy

>Ground and rock
FUCK
PANIC

Some of the mechanics are just a chore, but for the most part it is fun if you are organised / like Pokemon / are autistic.

Thanks! I hadn't played the cards since first gen, had no idea the game had expanded this far!

>Organized
>Like Pokemon
>Autistic
Pick 3.

Recently came across this: pokeroleproject.wixsite.com/pokerole/resources
Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but seems much simpler, while being similar in playstyle as WoD (except d6's rather than d10's).

Pretty much what everyone is saying, you need to be real organized about the crunch. Otherwise it's a little daunting. Id suggest using the Google sheets for character sheets. It helps a shit ton with the math.

We just started a campaign. While it's nice to have a system to organize a Pokemon game with, some of the rules aren't well written or explained. It took me forever to figure out what this Base Relation rule was, and that was after trolling the forums.

On top of that, the books could be organized a lot better. The Pokedex not organized by number bugs the hell out of me and the feature sections should start with classes, not end with them.

It's fine, but definitely needs some work.

Also I should say fuck injuries. They are just extra crunch to stop something that can't even happen until the end game.

I don't play the tcg, just guessing based on images and game knowledge.

But I don't want that system, PTU works for my autism just fine if some things are cut down.

>The icons for Dragon, Rock, Ground, Ghost and Bug

The TCG still doesn't have ground, rock, bug, ghost, flying, poison, or ice. Those symbols were made up for the pic, I think.

Only the Dragon one is official

Could you actually explain what you don't like about injuries? And how are they only relevant in the end game?

To go into more detail, the other day someone explained injuries were only added to prevent infinite healing with a combo of a very expensive item and healing moves. But injuries happen from the word go. This results in the rocket tag nature of the early game crippling your Pokemon while you aren't able to go to a Pokemon center.

It is pretty good if you're okay with the crunch. It's not as intimidating as it looks at first blush, but you WILL wnt some automation involved.
A GM and a party of 3 is the most I'd advocate with PTU, and if you're IRL then you want to use Set Damage and not Rolled Damage, because that will add another 20 minutes per combat of just finding enough of the right die to use.

That said, it's still the most fun and most complete pokemon tabletop I've found, the dev community is VERY active in gearing up for the gen7 stuff, and you'll almost never find yourself in a position where your trainer is useless unless you design them that way on purpose.

It helps that me and my playgroup are accounting students in college and enjoy the number crunching.

>This results in the rocket tag nature of the early game
In fairness, most of the game is rocket tag. Hell, even the VGC is mostly rocket tag.

That is true, but now if you do revive your Pokemon with anything they have even less max HP and will be KO'd even easier.

There's a house rule that we've implemented that solved 90% of the mess with injuries: Remove the injury from falling to 50% of max HP.
Massive Damage injury still applies, as does the one at 0%, but getting rid of that one gets rid of a lot of the trouble, we've found. If you ever find yourself needing to revive pokemon mid-battle, you should be trying to run away instead.

That is a good idea, might try it in the future. Also it is funny how people seem to think having 1 Pokemon faint is the end of the world when they have 5 more.

True, but user was talking more about the early game where you may only have 2 or 3 pokemon with you, if that. But absolutely, if you're that outmatched you should try to run, and if you're in a trainer battle you can throw in the towel if you feel it's not worth risking your pokemon's life.

Most of that is true, but the infinite combo isn't the main reason, it's just healing in general. When you game measures healing by half max HP most times, it's not hard for a boss to become unable to be beaten if they have a few healmons with them. Sure you can focus fire the healers down, but in that time the main threat will be chewing away at your team, and most every Pokemon with healing moves also has very high HP/are decently bulky, so have fun trying to win that race.

To address the rocket tag early game, I've never really had that problem. They even suggest starting Pokemon at level 10, not 5 like the games, and they stress multiple times how important your HP stat is and generally you want at least close to 5-10 points in it from the get go.

Lastly the thing about being away from pokecenters is intentional. Pokemon games have a huge thing about travel, so of course the tabletop will represent that. Why in the hell would a beginning trainer want to go on a 4 day hike through a dense forest to the next town with only 2 pokemon? Even in a group of 3-4 in a similar situation, it's a bad idea. On the other hand, healing items do exist and do work differently than in the games. You have bandages to heal injuries, and after about a half hour of having your HP brought positive you do regain consciousness. Another idea is using repels to keep the nagging threats away and have a safer passage. Really the only other excuses are your GM being a twat or the party looked for trouble one to many times.

here, just wanted to say doesn't that remove most of the point? I'm not going to judge because my group has some homebrew that's looked down on by the forums, but the injury for passing 50% is suppose to be annoying since it makes it so always fighting isn't a viable option. I can see it being an issue if you have a long siege in your campaign like rockets at silph, but even then don't you lose out on some tension?

Just curious how it's affected your game really.

Some games the GM lowers pokemon max party size. A common number seen on the forums is 4. Still allows type aces to work, makes it so one trainer cant answer everything, and still allows for a team to cover each other's weaknesses.

My problem became people treated their pokemon as if they only had half of their "real" HP for fear of risking injuries, and almost never ventured out of a town or tried any kind of exploration for fear of not being able to make it back to a center.

Once I removed that barrier, they started to have a bit more willingness to actually try doing things - sure it sucks if your pokemon is knocked out and takes an injury, but you were going to keep it balled up until a center anyway, so it's not the dilemma of "shit, do I risk racking up more injuries keeping him out there?"

They still treat potions (and to a lesser extent revival items, though they're rare until at least midgame) as overly precious commodities, but at least it isn't as bad as it had been where a super potion may as well have been a megalixer.

*Team of trainers* in that last sentence.

Fair enough. I have one player of four who really hates the injury system, but knows what will happen if I were to remove it. Everytime they get that 4th injury in a battle you can see the irritation on their face, since that's 2 days of healing at a center. Thing is it's almost always because they used recover or a similar move with one of their Pokemon.

You'd think they'd eventually learn "hey, maybe I shouldn't use recover when I'm sitting on 3 injuries."

They'll learn, I guess.

It's more like using recover sitting on 2, go back below 50 and then the one for fainting. And to be fair, it's even happened at 1 while throwing in a massive damage in there due to crits. In their defense, for various story reasons I've been taken a liking with making brutal training shine.

>Is this any good
No.
>want to try anyways
Let us know how long did it take for you to drop it.

Most of them are icons poached from the TCG, and the rest are custom made.

It goes, outer circle from top clockwise
>Fire
>Water (usually has ice types in there with the water types)
>Dark
>Psychic (has most ghost, psychic, and poison types in the TCG)
>Fairy
Poison
>Normal (includes most flying types from the TCG)
Ice
>Steel
>Electric
>Fighting (called Fist in the TCG, and usually includes rock, ground, and fighting types)
>Grass (has grass, bug, and occasional poison types)

Inner circle, clockwise from top
>Dragon
Rock
Ghost
Flying
Bug
Ground.

The meme arrows denote the TCG icons.

It is known that PTA and PTU are full of shit. Mechanics are broken, their damage system, injury system, encounter building and book organization is buttfucked. Half of your game is spent on bookkeeping and the other half in building encounters and getting pieces in place. Most people hate it, some people who haven't played it are just neutral about it. Only people that says it's any good, are the devs, which are known for sock puppeting any Pokémon thread on Veeky Forums

Dragon is on a Golden background. And its with a gradient, just like Psychic and Fairy is generally with gradient.

>Speaking for others
>Wanting people to take you seriously
>Being this buttblasted

But the fairy types were all really closely related to the moon and even evolved using Moon Stones, you'd think fairy type would be a fucking crescent moon or something.

AND WHY IS NORMAL A SNOWFLAKE!?

It is a star

I've played it.

It's got a ton of questionable design decisions I feel, and has way too much bookkeeping for its own good, but I feel like it's probably the best Pokemon homebrew we have at the moment.

If you keep it limited to 2-3 players, it's manageable. I've had games with a 5 person party and it was a nightmare. Battles took fucking forever.

I wouldn't say I hate it, and I'm still down to play more campaigns in it, but I do agree the system needs a lot more work.

>He doesn't like breasts & cleavage as the patron icon for his Fairy Master Race

To be fair Rock and Ground being seperate types was always baffling.

user working on their own Pokémon system here. I ran a campaign in PTU for a little over a year, and have mixed opinion about the system. But it'd be nice to have more than just my own opinion.

>What exactly do you like about PTU? Why?
>What exactly do you not like about PTU? Why not?
>Anything you wish it had or didn't have?
>Any other thoughts?

There has only been 1 new type introduced since Gen II you dipshit.

You missed
>Rock
>Ground
>Bug
>Ghost
>Dragon

Then there's the new type, Fairy.

Yeah but it really works best for a small group of like two players. Three if you are a good GM and the players can chill while other people are taking turns doing things.

We've been doing a pretty good game of this so far in my group. We're doing Pokemon in a post apocalyptic setting. No PC system, pokeballs don't always work, and there's lots of infected fucking everywhere. It's The Last of Us, but with Pokemon.

As long as you have an in-game reason to restrict characters from having too many pokemon (for example, food and clean water are scarce in our setting) you're golden. But we tried before just doing the basic route of becoming pokemon masters and battling in gyms. That shit gets tedious quick.

All in all, a good game if you can get the rules wrapped around your head. But my advice? Don't do the regular pokemon setting. Find a reason beyond "We're trainers!" to actually go adventuring.

>What exactly do you like about PTU? Why?
It's a relatively solid system, and it takes a lot of things into account that most wouldn't think of. It's adaptable and gives a lot of wiggle room in terms of characters and backgrounds.

>What exactly do you not like about PTU? Why not?
The damage system is definitely muddled. They're trying to cling too close to the Pokemon video games, and seem afraid to take a step into an original direction for combat.

>Anything you wish it had or didn't have?
More information for trainers doing combat alongside their Pokemon. It has a lot of potential, and I feel that they only lightly brush on the topic as a "on the off chance you encounter a wild Pokemon on your own" scenario.

>Any other thoughts?
If you aren't a fan of crunchy games, don't play this. It takes a while to get used to, and that is a downside for groups that want to learn a new system. The uniqueness that it's a Pokemon tabletop wears off quickly, leaving those who aren't good with complex rulesets feeling overwhelmed.