Horus Heresy General /hhg/

Noblebright Perturabo Edition
New General Image Sub-Edition
Thanks, drawfriend. In the last thread we discussed Primarch problems, 1k Sons fluff changes, and discovered that the Heresy is just a game Pert made for the IWs's legion flgss, talk on Noblebright!Perturabo's personality was made, a WEfag posted his army, and an user talked about his nightmare plus much more in the last thread Red Book Links:
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww2.zippyshare.com%2Fv%2Fs15Jqk1t%2Ffile.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23!Jx1UGCTI!vMJN89z7p8tiEC7YOAj477g6RxDtJ7culVLF3q3godg
HH Book 6 - Retribution PDF:
mediafire.com/download/8aqx9j3a8erqv8d/The_Horus_Heresy_Book_6_-_Retribution.pdf or
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fkat.cr%2Fthe-horus-heresy-book-6-retribution-pdf-t12199249.html
HHG FAQ - pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8
Official HH 7th Edition Errata (Updated January 2016) - forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf
Other official downloads: forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads#horusheresy
HH Rules:
Crusade Army List: mediafire.com/download/1lprm5vd99yafa3/
Mechanicum Taghmata Army List: mega.nz/#!LFwTjQ7B!mF0eVOY8P1MPT0a-QSXypXo_ZfskhYynD41PrkaTbD8
30k/40k Rules: mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!EVh0GZZS
30k/40k Rules and more (torrents): kat.cr/usearch/"Forge World" heresy user:epistolary/
30k Black Library: mega.nz/#F!0RlxDZQC!qAu9BaubWa3KeihJRmOcsg
Strawpoll links: strawpoll.me/10558764
www.strawpoll.me/10663447

Other urls found in this thread:

bolterandchainsword.com/topic/292535-imperial-fists-tactics/page-44
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Iron Warriors play 30K and Great Crusade canonically. Perturabo wrote the Horus Heresy campaign setting and 40K as a supplement.

Right away, my Liege.

Revised my normal-humans list (now with more robots). I posted it in the last thread but got no responses. Does this look like it could handle typical 2k points 30k armies?
Strangers in a Strange Land

SOLAR AUXILIA - 915

HQ - Lord Marshall - 140
Artificier Armor
Displacer Matrix
Plasma Pistol
Paragon Blade

Troops - Veletaris Storm Section - 115

Elites - Household Retinue Veletaris Storm Section - 165
Power Axes

Elites - Enginseer Auxilia - 140
Servo-Arms
Cortex Controller

Heavy Support - Thallax Cohort

Heavy Support - Castellax Battle Automata - 105

MILITIA - 1085

Provenance of War: Gene-crafted + 100
Provenance of War: SotDA + 75

HQ - Force Commander - 85
Planetary Overlord
Cyber Familiar
Charnabal Saber

HQ - Discipline Masters (2x) - 40

Troops - Fire Support Squad - 250
Heavy Flamers (AP 3)

Troops - Grenadiers - 165
Bolters
Plasma Guns

Elites - 6 Ogryn - 370
Carapace Armor
Power Swords

2000/2000

When will forge world release a Xenos army exclusively for the HH to fill my depraved soul with the combat challange I want.

user, you know that in 30k you can only take 1 CAD and an allied detachment, right?

I'd be down with some with a Hrud army.

never

FW has stated multiple times that they will not release a xenos army for HH.

The Hrud are scavengers though, they don't exactly gather into armies, they're usually operating in small groups.
You might able to come up with something for Zone Mortalis operations, but a full army is something that wouldn't fit them.

IIRC, Ullanor orks had better plasma than Ryza.

Yeah. The Solar Auxilia is one CAD, with the Enginseer bringing in the Thallax within that same CAD. Then the Militia is its own allied detachment.

Obviously most of the xenos are dead or licking their wounds during the heresy
They're clearly going to go back to the great crusade and do all of those races the marines had to fight in order to kill themselves

Allies FOCs may only bring a single HQ option.

Discipline Masters don't take a slot.

Never, the most you could do is a genestealer cult using the militia list.

Why can't the Eldar ever finish dying out? The so called Dying race has held more than 10 millenia without golden throne life support.

Alpha Legion best legion

Honestly I'd be fine with a simple
>Xenos races present during the heresy can be played but their base squad cost is 50% higher and their additional models cost is 50% lower.
>There's a strait points tax on moral effects.
>You can't use characters that weren't alive during the Heresy.

I need help seing your point.

Why do Solar Auxilia look so top notch? I'd love to start an army, but it's so expensive.

The only xenos fighting in the HH were some Orks Horus used to soften up the defenders in Book 4.
There are as many El(ves)dar as the plot demands.

I am Solonius

No, that means that they cannot be used as your compulsory HQ choice. Basically, they cannot be your only HQ, just as Support Squads cannot be your compulsory troops.

>compulsory

woops, missed that. Sorry, coming from 40k Guard where extra dudes don't take HQ slots.

It seems kinda silly that you can't take Commissars in an allied detachment though.

Speaking of RAW, when looking at the "cortex controller" entry in the Solar Auxilia part of the book, it says it can include a Castellax Battle-Automata Maniple but doesn't mention Thallax Cohorts. Confusingly, on the entry for Thallax Cohorts, it mentions that you need to look at the entry for the cortex controller to see if you can take them or not. Meanwhile, the Castellax itself says nothing of the sort, and even says it can't be a "compulsory troop choice."

Does this mean Thallax are technically impossible to take? Or is this some sort of odd Mechanicus rule in their book?

Am I supposed to pick between Thallax and Castellax?

>don't speak to me or my son ever again

had to be done

Now look at how many HQs can an allied detachment have.

Thallax are normal troops, theyre not beepboops.

I thought the Iron Warriors had some pretty massive battles with Hrud.

Maybe I misread it.

A Rival living a Lie

It's alright, just take it into account. You could indeed gentlemans agree it, but it helps to have a rules-tight army list for whatever case arises.
You can bring Thallax as Heavy support for Solar Auxilia as long as you have a cortex controller, it's on FW's FAQ I think

The snake aliens that gave Fulgrim his rape sword? The immeasurable amount of alien species that the Great crusade set about eradicating and frying humanity from at certain points and the reason we don't see great Xenos civilizations today?

None of that happened. It was Fulgrim being high on Horus' date rape drugs.

Before the Heresy.
Or you know

Alright, fixed the HQ thing (just added another thallax)

how does this look?

Strangers in a Strange Land

SOLAR AUXILIA - 955

HQ - Lord Marshall - 140
Artificier Armor
Displacer Matrix
Plasma Pistol
Paragon Blade

Elites - Household Retinue Veletaris Storm Section - 165
Power Axes

Elites - Enginseer Auxilia - 140
Servo-Arms
Cortex Controller

Heavy Support - Thallax Cohort - 175
4 Thallax

Heavy Support - Castellax Battle Automata - 105

MILITIA - 1045

Provenance of War: Gene-crafted + 100
Provenance of War: SotDA + 75

HQ - Force Commander - 85
Planetary Overlord
Cyber Familiar
Charnabal Saber

Troops - Fire Support Squad - 250
Heavy Flamers (AP 3)

Troops - Grenadiers - 165
Bolters
Plasma Guns

Elites - 6 Ogryn - 370
Carapace Armor
Power Swords

2000/2000

Not saying my knowledge is 100% either, if the IW had big battles versus the Hrud then that changes matters, it's just that I've mostly heard of their scavenging nature.

"I was born in a small tech-enclave. I was still a foundling when the Medusan came. Ferrus Manus, the Gorgon, Son of the Emperor. Torn from my home, I was re-made in His Son's image. With each new campaign my masters changed. Along with the cybernetics they augmented me with. With each upgrade, I changed too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong. Iron - can - kill."

I will be extremely mad if they release xeno races for HH before Dark Angels.
Also: Orks and Eldar will look the same, so why bother?

And you can just use the Militia list for any other minor xeno race. In the Ogryn entry it even mentions that.

FW will not release a HH xenos army. They have said this multiple times now.

No, the Ogryn entry states that the entry itself can represent a trained xenos predator beast or some sort of combat automata.

>ogryns
Well yeah, but there's nothing stopping you from using those rules for xenos. The customizability is perfect for it.

What do you guys think about running a Militia army using Solar Auxilla models as grenadiers with a Survivors of the Dark age with Cybernetics provences?

That second with should be an And.

What are the best weapon options for the standard contemptor?
I'm about to make a FW order and would like to get a few options.

Dual Heavy Bolters w/Shrapnel Bolts.
In my dreams.

if there was a best option, then everybody would play it exclusively.

Kheres plus fist if youre not deep striking it and want it to reach close combat eventually, double kheres if you just want it to shoot. Double volkites is good too if you want it to be just for anti-infantry and if you are deep striking it or outflanking it then double fists with grav guns is nice to wreck armor and wreck face.

No lascannons?

Fair enough.
How would you suggest I kit one to be a ranged anti-tank unit?

On Contemptor-mortis, maybe.

I have a strong urge to buy this painting and destroy it in front of the artist.

help HHG, how did you decide what legion you play, I'm stuck pingponging inbetween "a few" legions and I can't make up my mind - the only thing I know for sure is which ones I don't want to play.

I like getting in my opponents face with large masses of troops supported by long range fire support, I enjoy cheap tricks like deep strikes and outflanks to cripple my opponent. I don't want to play salamanders, raven guard, iron hands, thousand sons or ultramarines.

why?

>I like getting in my opponents face with large masses of troops supported by long range fire support

Iron Warriors?

>I enjoy cheap tricks like deep strikes and outflanks to cripple my opponent

Sons of Horus, or Alpha Legion

Really I'd say consider the paint scheme and aesthetics as well since you're going to be painting a bunch of marines.

I have an even stronger urge to have him paint it again and nail it on the ceiling above my bed.

Behold!

First part IF or IW

Second bit SoH or EC

Iron Warriors Ironfire. Make your men fearless by shooting at them with artillery.

bumpan for advice

I want to blast Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries' while riding the Ironfire.

>how did you decide what legion you play
Looks, customizing, lore.
I chose Ultramarines.
>I have 5k of 40k Ultras
>Can now forward port a lot of 30k gear
>awesome bits on both sides of the fence to customize mah dudes
>my RT era mighty hero SM captain will be joined by his liege at the forefront of the legion
>hell, may bring him out of retirement for one last game, his broken and battered body still filled with fire
>still pissed at the kid who broke him
>should have wrung his fucking neck
>should have throttled him slowly to watch him turn blue and go limp in my hands
>should have SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRO- where did that come from?

>Iron Warriors, Sons of Horus, Alpha Legion, Dark Angels
I'm another guy stuck between these.

Boxnought mortis offers it cheaper.

That looks like what my group would roll as PCs.

Iron Warriors. We require more bitterness.

"I got an answer from FW regarding Vigil pattern storm shields and Tartaros terminator armour:

hi,
Thank you for your email. The Imperial Fists were the one of the first Legions to get the Indomitus Pattern Terminator armour ( 40k terminator Armour) and the Vigil Pattern storm Shields are what evolve in to the 40k storm shields. It is for this reason that they can only use normal terminator armour ( indomitus) or Cataphractii Terminator Armour, they don't use Tartaros terminator Armour, which is why the Vigil Pattern Storm shield can't be fitted to it."

from

bolterandchainsword.com/topic/292535-imperial-fists-tactics/page-44

I've seen so many Tartaros termies with Storm Shields...post pics of your now-illegal units!

>That looks like what Perturabo's group would roll as PCs.
Fixed that for you.

Kek.

Did you get this from Perturabo's profile on 30K Roll20.

If I played Iron warriors I'd probably focus more on the "breaching" of enemy lines with hordes of tacticals disorderedly charging into the enemy with Hammer of Olympia while deathstorms and recon units outflank /deep strike into the opponent.

My only problem with them is that I don't really like their primarchs model and rules, don't care for their contemptor or one star fits all torsos, and havocs and siege tyrants are flavorless units that lack a twist or gameplay mechanics beyond "I shoot good :)" and I doubt my ability to make necronmarines look good.

Anyone got a screenshot of the exact rules for this? I didn't even realise this was an issue

And to think I almost spent $100 a few weeks ago on Tartaros with SS upgrades. Today is a good day to be 4++ for my Iron Fists.

Knight user, get to painting chevrons and buying those IW transfers!

>heavy artillery
>meatgrinder
>robots
All the things I love, they just sort of have the weakest fluff in comparison with the other three to me. If I manage to overcome it, I'll join the ride.

Why so?

I'm sorry user but I prefer BS5 (combi-)bolters to decimation

Damn, I wanted to make a 10 man unit with the Black Templar storm shields and Tartaros, I guess I'll have to rethink that in the future though that combination is still possible as far as rules are concerned, you just cant use the new storm shields bits.

DAILY REMINDER:

>While some Traitor Legions and their Primarchs did side with Horus, these were, without fail, the weaker Legions, jealous of the success of noble and uncorrupted warriors such as those of the Imperial Fists, Ultramarines and Blood Angels.

I actually impulse bought 5 of the Black Templar storm shields and honestly I'd recommend you hold out for the new Imperial Fist models that they're coming out with in the near future. the BT ones are an old cast and it really shows in the detail and quality compared to some of the HH stuff I've bought.

>Weakes fluff
Go and read Angel Exterminatus. Then shall you truly appreciate the stolen glories of the IV legion.

Just make up your own fluff, user.

I did read it some time ago. They are cool, as is Perturabo, but they seem like they're at work they hate the most.

SoH naturally have the image of the alpha of the pack, DA know they are better than SoH and try to outdo them, while AL is Alparius with the >best strategies.

tl;dr, if I were to assign a temperament to each of the above, IW are phlegmatic while the rest are choleric, which suits me better.

This is HH, if it was 40k I'd just do my own chapter. I leave Blackshields to others.

It's not that they're at the work they hate most, it's that they're never able to do the work they love.

Because in universe this was a cropped part of a painting, somehow both the iron warriors and imperial fists lead by their Primarchs were tasked with taking the world. As usual the iron warriors did most of the job, charging at machine guns to see how much ammo they had, because the imperial army mutinied against and were decimated to death

. So there's a Rembrancer or something there, and he paints it. As I said the image posted is cropped, the original one is a painting of the whole fortress with the imperial fists rolling their flags over it, and the only mention of iron warriors in the painting is this of them lieing in the mud

When it was presented to the Primarchs they both laughed. At a later date pertuabo called the painter up and asked to buy it and then burnt it in front of him

Mechanicum or AL? I love the AL playstyle but love the thallax and castellax models

>Princess Perty cant charge into the enemy guns to engage the enemy in honorable 1v1 combat

Stay in the mud Iron Fags.

It's a reference to how there was a remembrancer who painted a scene of Imperial Fists conquering a fortess and planting their flag while an Iron Warriors apothecary harvests geneseed.

Perturabo then goes and purchases the painting and destroys it in front of the artist's face, saying that should his own sons not deserve no glory, then they deserve no inglory either, in a rare moment where we see his fatherly side.

Later on, Dorn commisions the same artist to repaint it for him. The artist wisely refuses.

put mech on the table and halfway through the game replace all your models with AL

Run allies

So, assuming Sigismund's 36" away from a Predator Squadron, who wins?

Something could be the best loadout for a contemptor but just other units outclass it like iron havocs are probably better than a rifleman

True, and that's why they begin to resent the work they do.
Except when riding it or at the moment a wall shatters.

>Later on, Dorn commisions the same artist to repaint it for him.
Proof that Dorn really did hate Perturabo.

Or he was literally just that autisitc

Dorn didn't understand why Pert didn't like the painting, as he felt it recognized the hard won sacrifices of the Iron Warriors for victory on a visceral level.
Pert could only see that the Iron Warriors weren't being glorified in the same manner as the Fists.
Pert is classically autistic, right down to the inability to understand points of view that aren't his subjective view. Dorn was just a stubborn damn git.

I'm confused on the links in OP. What is the updated legion astartes link with the updated point values?

user that's never mentioned.

There's also the fact that in-universe that the Iron Warriors were almost never credited with any of their victories, with Perturabo himself often credited as a "nameless-comrade-in-arms." So seeing a painting that showed another legion's legionaries raising their banner over a conquered fortress with your own sons dead or dying is kind of screwy.

That's grim.

I thought that was only line specifically cited time.

>user that's never mentioned.
If you couldn't deduce that from all of the characterization that Dorn has gotten so far, you are being willfully dense.
>Perturabo himself often credited as a "nameless-comrade-in-arms."
That happened exactly once. They were credited with victories, but the remembrancers didn't write epics about them because they were inglorious, mechanical affairs.

Anons, help me. I wish to start an infantry heavy IW army, but I don't know what to do. I could either buy BaC, or get loads of MkII marines.

My problem is that I love the MkII models and I so want to do a MkII and Cataphractii only army, but I know that buying that many would probably end up being far more costly than BaC. I also hate that the quad mortar and medusa/basilisk models have MkIV crew.

Buy b@c, hammer of Olympia right of war, 20 man foots logging blobs with apothecaries
And then mk 3 havocs and commander
Also use a praetor for your warsmith as with servo arm and digi weapons he gets 6 attacks, Death Star him with domitar ferrum