/swg/: Swingin' Swing Wings Edition

Post about X-Wing, Armada, FFG's Star Wars RPGs, d6, d20 (Saga), movies, shows, books, comics, vidya, lego, lore and everything else Star Wars related

Previous Thread: → #

Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
>mega.nz/#!DkNTDTyZ!PUupCOep4RmRcsgI3rNhU_Pk_xcyFbYWnhrq8gwrVv0

Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZkpXpbJ1

Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png

Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/cJY5FK9T

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2c/e3/e7/2ce3e792d7c021206da837588dfebdc6.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for the empire

Have a cool fighter from the N64 Battle of Naboo game.

Walker can count to potato.

Walker is potatoe

Um...

Well....

Was the design team rushed for time on that one?

for when all you want to do is gun down rebel scum

I think it's supposed to be a heavy direct fire artillery piece.

Have a fun gun thing.

Well at least it isn't a recolor.

Or, better known by WW2 terminology as "Assault Gun", or "Self Propelled Artillery".

Its a base defense walker

Stat me.

Alright dudes. Second squad was deffo the better choice and not as much of a tactics whiplash as I thought, I placed 5th out of 18. I handled Dengaroo, I handled Ghosts, I handled Palp Aces, I got fucking destroyed by crackshot ties, which wasn't a big surprise. Omega & Vessery were straight off the table back to back with nothing to show for it, Ryad ended up surviving long enough to take out half of the swarm on her own before her time limit was up.

x7's are pretty good ships.

Anyone have any pdfs or scans of the new Force Awakens rpg starter?

I like vessery with the tie/d title and either ion or tractor beam for maximum bully

I don't really feel like giving the gatling gun an overheat error instead of one for running out of ammo was a good idea...

>crew
>rockets
>firespray stats with bomber dial

I'd been doing that almost exclusively ever since Veterans came out, he combo'd amazingly with Omega Leader and The Inquisitor.

I also fly that combo almost exclusively at my flgs. Its such a great combo

Yeah, Vessery has always worked amazingly well with anything that relies on or gets Target Locks. The Tie Advanced Prototypes, Tie Advanced with FCS or Adv Targeting Computer, or even Phantoms with FCS.

Some target priority questions.

Lets say that I'm playing double pancake list and my opponent has palpmobile + whisper + omega leader.

What do I concentrate shooting first?
I feel like whisper's gonna take too long to take down at first, Omega leader will just fuck with me once I'm down to a ship, and shooting the shuttle seems like a good chance for me to get killed while I try to whittle down the the ship with most HP.

What would you guys do?

I would focus palp down. His ability is really strong and then I would focus on omega and finish off whisper unless I had a great shot to pop one of the aces

Against that squad you really have to be fluid with your target selection. Try to focus on one, starting off, then switch to another. Palp players will run away whichever ship is targeted, so you have to ham on it while it's there and then let it go. It's difficult because you have to mindgame it up a little to throw the Palp player's maneuvers off.

Also bumps. Bumps fucking destroy Palp aces.

Either stupid Google reverse image is being a shit, or there legit isn't a bigger version of this image.

Does "Spare Clip" apply to weapons that are not limited ammo but have options for running out of ammo without rolling a Despair? (Like the SE-14r that can run out on three setbacks)

I just found a 599x603 version using reverse image from here.

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2c/e3/e7/2ce3e792d7c021206da837588dfebdc6.jpg

Thank you very much.

Just got FaD, already familiar with the basics of the system (buy stats at character creation, humans are great, etc.). What are the best specs? Any gotchas I should watch out for that's different from EotE?

Looks like prog rock album art.

That's not a bad thing.

Here's the deal with that setup... And why Palp Aces can be a pain.

Palpatine is far and away the biggest problem. And the shuttle is easy to kill. You want Palp off the table, especially if you lack the ship count to blow through the one-die modification and evade tokens with ease (4+ ships attacking). Make the shuttle top priority. BUT if it takes too long to chase down (i.e. you can't get to it after an all ahead full 5-speed), then you need to change priority to knock out a bigger threat.

Phantoms are tough as hell to pin down and get a good bead on, because they are top arc-dodgers. But they don't like ace pilots with higher PS, and turrets they can't dodge. So Whisper is the low end of the priortiy here, but certainly shouldn't be ignored due to his lethality. Take shots at him if that's all you've got. Omega Leader is second priority after Palpatine, and should definitely be focused on if you can't get to Palp. The two die isn't a major threat, but his ability is brutal, and Omega Leader is top of the list of ships you don't want to see in a 1v1 at the end of the game.

So, Palpatine > Omega Leader >>> Whisper. With Omega being your fallback priorty if knocking out the shuttle proves too difficult (at the moment).

At least this would make sense

"Hazard trooper armor doesn't actually grant enhanced strength, rebel troopers who steal it are sad about that" FFG are fucking sadists towards their fans.

How much strength should it actually grant?

Help how do I fix spesship

>weakest attack point was always the neck join
>rectify by removing the 'head' unit alltogether

Saw or snap it off and re-glue. Drill out a fitting hole for the peg if able for a more secure fit.

The angle? That would entirely be the peg itself. There's a little flexibility in the peg stands, so you might be able to gently twist it back a bit. Otherwise, it will be removing the peg-base on the ship itself, and regluing it in a straighter posisition.

I don't know, I always felt there must have been a reason why the AT-AT doesn't have weapons in the body section. Kinda like how many modern tanks and other armored vehicles have eschewed machine gun and other cannons in the body section in favor of stronger armor.

Any time you'd run out of ammo on a Despair is when Spare Clip comes in. The suggestion in the descriptions are more to let the GM/player know that because of how much ammo a gun may go through regularly, that it makes sense to have the Despair cause that effect more often than not.

I was talking about special rules where the drawback allows the empty-mag to trigger on lesser rolls not as a suggestion but as one of the actual balance points.

Say a player with Spare Clip rolled three setbacks on an attack roll, would triggering the "Out of ammo" rule be fair since he bought spare clip with XP?

Troop capacity probably. All of those weapons need the logistics that make them work like fire control and power generation, plus the expense of manufacture & maintenance. Forgot pic.

Probably troop capacity and design doctrine. AT-ATs are designed to look scary and punch giant holes in enemy defenses then unload infantry to occupy space. Its a battering ram and siege tower rolled into one.

Stuff like flank defense is handled by AT-STs or other support vehicles.

Modern tanks have more to do with internal logistics, and the sheer lack of value that sponsons had. Sponsons had limited angles of fire, and required an extra gunner. By WW2, they were acknowledged as a failure, because 2 sponsons means 2 more bodies inside an already cramped tank, who largely won't have much to do unless something happens to be in their very limited firing arc.

Now, on an AT AT, it's pretty much just all troop transport with the idea that the majority of enemies will be in front.

Ah, my mistake. RAW, no; since the talent specifically requires a Despair and it can be argued that the wording in the different weapons that can use Threat instead of Despair aren't really worded in a way that supports the talent being used for it; ie. it should probably read similar to "can use [x Threat] to trigger the effect of running out of ammo through a Despair."

But I'm pretty sure that RAI, yes it can be used even if using Threat, since it's really all functionally the same and it the system generally isn't that specific about things and so the wording is more of something that just slipped by them.

So, up to the GM, but there's really nothing wrong with the talent being used to negate running out of ammo on Threat.

Does the following list work?

Steele (VI, Mk2 engine, X7)-35
Inquisitor (PtL, V1, Autothrusters, Prockets)-34
Omega Leader (Juke, Comm Relay, Stealth Device)-29

98/100.

Alright so in my next game I'll be playing a member of the imperial exploration corp as our tech and survival guy. I know those don't exactly mesh but its a small party of three and the other two pcs will be a face/scholar of some sort and a rigger. I was thinking I'd play some sort of explorer but I was wondering if anyone had an tips for when I build my character.

Yeah, it should work alright. Marek doesn't need all those greens, but it should helps if he gets stressed at all. With x7, he'll be picking up Evade tokens *nearly every turn, so Juke could also work with him... But Inquisitor and Omega L are both 8s, so with Vet Instincts he's acting as a nice PS 9 ace.

Fly it. I see no problems.

honestly makes sense if the bridge/cockpit is now in the underutilized body section and the 'head' is reserved for larger turbolasers

more of a mobile artillery piece

I recently went from owning ~7 ships to owning at least 1 of every imperial ship. Now I'm paralyzed with indecision.

I'm debating that, or Colonel Vessery (X7, mk2, VI), Standard 31 point Inquisitor, or Vader with ATC, Adaptability, and Engine Epgrade.

So many options, but I can't try them all.

As a corollary would that make replacing the nonsensical overheat rule on the Z-6 gatling blaster with a simple "Run out of ammo" rule instead become overpowered?

Since most heavies using it will have Spare Clip.

>tfw I just want to make a list with generic T65 X Wing pilots

I'm ready for wave 9

Wedge, Biggs, and Wes are still very viable. And Porkins is hilarious as always. Vectored Thrusters will give them Barrel Roll for 2pts.

T-65s are in a much better place than they used to be. Hell... You could even run them with Guidance Chips and Proton Torps.

Bounty Hunter/Survivalist and Explorer/Scout are the better general survival specs. For being a tech-person, there's a few different specs depending on what you want to do: Bounty Hunter/Gadgeteer is good for combat-oriented upgrades, Technician/Mechanic is mostly on upkeep of a vehicle, but has some solid stuff to do some makeshift building/repair if you're in the middle of nowhere, Technician/Outlaw Tech is decent for gear upgrades and inventing. There's some FaD specializations as well, but if you took one of them as a second or later specialization (to avoid being force-sensitive) most of the relevant specializations wouldn't be useful without a force rating to use the appropriate talents.

As for which to pick and which to start with, it really depends on what interests you the most in what you want to be best at.

I wish this armor was more commonly used.

He did say generic.

That's a very vague term.

Try them all! I own just about everything in X-Wing, and half the fun of that is being able to run whatever the hell you want when you play!

>R3 on Luke
Damn.
Maybe we found the one place where that droid doesn't suck.

I don't have Forged in Battle yet, so it's hard for me to say; but it'd probably depend on how the fluff describes overheating and everything. But if a player was really bent on circumventing the heating, then depending on where the heat build-up occurs and such, I might allow for an attachment that allows for the heat to be transferred and stored up into a single heat pack and could be replaced with another pack and then Spare Clip could potentially be used that way. That way the inherent drawbacks of a gun aren't completely avoided, but a particularly tech savvy individual could still get around it.

No I was saying the ROTARY gun overheating over a single point of damage vs the standard light repeater is sorta dumb.

Going bounty hunter/survivalist into gadgeteer could work I guess. I'd rather focus on survival I think and then also be able to man the sensors on the ship and run other survey equipment planetside. Do humans get proficiency in the extra skills they pick or just ranks by the way? If so I could just go Scout and pick up a couple of technical skills, if not is multiclassing as awful as my gut instinct tells me? Sorry if I have a lot of questions but my GM hasn't been available much and any book is fair game including fan supplements so its been a lot to think about.

For humans, they just get a single rank in the 2 non-career skills, but they don't become career skills. But not having something as a career skill really isn't too bad, it just costs an extra 5xp per rank you buy. So if you plan on buying a lot of ranks in stuff that you don't have as a career skill, it might be worth it to buy a specialization just for the discount, otherwise you're fine just paying the extra cost.

There really isn't multiclassing in this game. Like you're expected to jump to other specializations if it fits your character. And since there's no hard levels in this system, or an XP cap (so you can theoretically play until you have every talent in every specialization and all ranks for every skills), it's not like in D&D or something where buying a level in something potentially prevents you from reaching your full potential in something else. That said, you do get minor bonuses for sticking to your career, which is 10xp off the in-career specialization, and you can use any in-career specialization as a way to get a second Signature Ability if that's something you'd even want to pursue (most people tend to be content with just one Signature Ability, but that'll change based on character concepts and what your career offers).

I really don't get the mass butthurt over R3. It's a 2-point generic astro that lets you pull a -1 hit defense bonus from an imperfect roll. You don't have to do it, but it gives you the choice, and it's a prerequisite to Integrated Astromech. It's not the Rebel answer to Tie/x7 & Tie/D but Defenders didn't even have a Biggs to justify their use, and thematically they -should- be fucking scary super-fighters.

The T-65 is a victim of power creep, pure and simple. It's unique pilots' abilities are amazing, so a change to the ship on a singular basis like a flat points reduction or free upgrade would make them rip hell through opposition. I think what they need to be brought in line is a synchronic effect, like we're beginning to see with the Black One title and the ARC-170 pilots. It fits the theme of Rebel X-Wings working together and rewards smart playing without turning them into different ships. Maybe being able to shuffle tokens around to each other or have a ripple effect with their actions.

I'm fine with R3. It gives you choice to fit your play style. I don't want another Contracted Scout shitshow from a card that makes T-65's flavor of the month just to have them smashed back down.

Thanks a ton, I think I have a much better idea of where to start so I'm going to play around in the character generator in the OP and make a few variations till I find something I feel happy with. I'll probably be back to post it for some review. Last thing, one of the other players who played before advised I dump as much into stats as possible instead of skills during character generation, go with that generally right?

Yes, characteristics can only be advanced post-creation through single talents in specializations (Dedication) and Cybernetic Enhancements, so upping those first are a priority. Generally the way to go is getting one up to 4 and one up to 3 if you really want to specialize, or getting multiple 3s if you want to be more generalist.

>he hasn't figured out the synergy between R3, Juke, Comm Relay and BTL-A4

A friend burned most of their starting obligation on money for cybernetics (It's knight level) was that wise?

Alright cool, should make initial generation easy. Just have to be forward thinking about skills.

>all four of those on one ship

>Modern tanks have more to do with internal logistics, and the sheer lack of value that sponsons had. Sponsons had limited angles of fire, and required an extra gunner. By WW2, they were acknowledged as a failure, because 2 sponsons means 2 more bodies inside an already cramped tank, who largely won't have much to do unless something happens to be in their very limited firing arc.
However, in the case of the Bradley the concept is true. And like the AT-AT, a troop transport.

I'd like to think the Imperial walker had similar reasons to eschew body guns that were available in earlier models.

Depends on the cybernetics, but it's generally an alright way to do it. But if you've got somebody in the party who is quickly on the way to being pretty ridiculous at Mechanics, then if the equivalent cybernetics can be built using crafting rules, it's probably cheaper and more effective to just spend the money on parts (or pocket the money and spend it later on parts when you can try and negotiate for a cheaper price), wait a few sessions for the Mechanics guy to be awesome, then have him make them when you've got the in-game downtime.

Though personally, if the cybernetics were just things like Brawn/Agility increasing ones, I'd see it better to just spend it on appropriate gear for the character, especially since during char gen you can buy things regardless of their rarity as long as they're not restricted (unless the GM says otherwise), so it's a great chance to load up on difficult to find gear you may plan on using that might be a pain in the ass to get later.

Episode 8 Y-wing when?

Oh they ended up with pre-crafted armor by the support NPC.

A Verpine that talks like an agitated Asian immigrant shopkeeper.

This will never stop bothering me.

Putting the Sterling/E-11 stock on the Mg-38/DLT-19 instead of a bipod?

Yes.

Well I finished something, look good?
I might crash really soon though so I may just have to get back in the morning.

Oh sorry, didn't see a lack of weapons on the short version of the ship. For reference he picked up an x-30 Lancer.

Are there any stats for the new ships from Ep7? I've been toying with the idea of running a ship-based AoR campaign in the TFA era

Since when did Z-95's have swing wings like that? All the art from the Star Wars Vehicles and Vessels shows them with flat square wings that stick out the sides.

the eighties

is that from the Rebels show? That paint job/role I mean.

>stormtrooper commander rifle
Why not just call it a heavy blaster or a long range blaster, geez.

Originally showed up in TCW, but yes.

It's probably because the Empire works on the assumption of total aerial/space superiority once they land these types of heavy weaponry, just like the US does.

They match the description of them in Han Solo at Stars' End. Unfortunately, the old comic adaptation of the book had them looking like a wedge shape closer to what would be the I-7 Howlrunner's design, and the Han Solo in the Corporate Sector sourcebook had them look like this, neither of which had the swing wing design they were described as having.

>the eighties
Pretty much, whole generation of artists and writers had fighter jackoff material crammed into their brains through exposure to F14's, F111's and F15's, repeated assaults of hair metal, post-punk aesthetic and aerobics

They crashed pretty hard by the 90's, there was no survivors

Do we have FFG rpg stats for the Kihraxz?

Just fly 4 rookies with R2 and integrated plus a bandit. Good number of ships, lots of dice to throw, really rewarding to outfly palp ace shitters and kill them with PS2 chumps.

Sure, it probably won't win worlds. But then again, neither will you.

It's two issues converging.

1) R3 astro is a bad card. It's 2 points for an ability that may never trigger and it's largely useless on generic ships since they fire so late and rarely benefit from the evade. So high PS ships are just going to take a 1 point bot or spend a bit more for regen.

2) Rebel players are assmad that they can't 1 straight to victory any more and want everything to be super x7 for X-Wings.

It's fun on Wes with Juke, or T-70s with comm relay, but that's about it.

Looks hella good, though.

>They crashed pretty hard by the 90's
But the '90s gave us the flight sims, the X-Wing novels/comics, Wing Commander, Air Combat, Ace Combats 2-3, and Macross Plus.

Isn't that one of the recent Bandai-produced plamos? How was it to build?

I have tried pretty much everything, I'm just having problems deciding on a tournament list.

go with what you like to fly the most

No one?

What's a good astromech for Wes Janson if I'm giving BB-8 to someone else?

You can never go wrong with a generic R2.