Have you ever had to kill another PC as a PC?

Have you ever had to kill another PC as a PC?

What was the reason behind it? Did you regret it?

>Be a paladin
>Other PC is a fighter who hates the gods and is evil aligned
>Keeps talking shit about the Gods
>Keeps doing evil acts (using low level magic to mind rape people to his will, looking for necromancy to build an army, etc)
>Gets to a point where the group finds an evil artifact (everyone besides him is good aligned) and I have the artifact
>I go to break it
>He tries to snatch it from my hand
>He fails
>Asks the DM to use his superiority die to try again
>DM straight says, 'You can, but then you will have to roll initiative because now you are straight causing conflict with the paladin. Are you okay with this, Paladin user?'
>I am fine with it. Evil artifact must be destroyed. It reeks of necromancy
>Fighter says Fuck IT! Rolls that superiority die.
>Loses again
>Roll initiative
>I win
>One shot him to -28 hp
>Fighter calls bullshit
>DM tells him 'Nope. You are dead. Roll a new character. Make it the same level as your current fighter if you want, but it can't be evil aligned.'
>Player makes a new character but isn't happy about it.

Yes, I was playing VTM tho so its not the same as more cooperative RPgames.

He was investigating things that would get my character killed and I played a stupid and strong hormone ball so I killed him in warm blood. I did not regret it and we both liked how it turned out. Playing your character is important in those kind of games.

I like this alot, would be perfect if this was the start of the paladins fall and you kill his second character as you betray the party for your evil goals. would be the topest of keks

>Have you ever had to kill another PC as a PC?

Yes

>What was the reason behind it?

We were outlaws for a variety of plot related reasons, many of which we didn't understand at the time. Other PC decided to sell out the location of an NPC most of the rest of us were friendly with in exchange for a personal pardon. I took exception to this.

>Did you regret it?

Not exactly. Even the guy playing the character I murdered said that it was very well played and he would have done the same.

Luring him away from the main group to stabby stabby however led to a LOT of trouble. I regret my timing.

>Fall of a paladin
>For killing an evil character who openly caused conflict and was trying to obtain an evil artifact

That's not how paladins fall, user.

>fall
>Start of fall

Sorry for double post, but killing someone you know and have adventured with. Even tho for the right reasons can be full reason to start doubts and such. I think it could be the start of a fall.

Shuld be noted I have never played a Paladin and have never tried to get in to the mind of a Fantasy fanatic.

>Start of fall
>For doing what a paladin should do

You are still doing it wrong, user.

There is absolutely no moral ambiguity here. An evil aligned character initiated conflict for an evil goal and the paladin smote him. That is perfectly fine and isn't the start of a fall.

The start of a fall would be if the something along the lines of a neutral character using dark arts and evil artifacts for the greater good wanting something that high chance of corruption to further the greater good and the paladin being against the course of action to the point they fought and the paladin killed him.

THAT is the start of a fall. There needs to be a bit of ambiguity there. In this situation, evil doing evil for the sake of evil and actively causing conflict with the forces of good, there is no ambiguity.

No, like I said here there is no real ambiguity there. Falls come from uncertainty. Yes, you can adventure with someone for the greater good reluctantly, but when they keep on falling on the evil side of the spectrum and offer no real actions of good (which this player didn't) then it isn't the start of the fall.

Some things the fighter did

>Wrecked a church of poor people because 'Fuck the gods'
>Got a local gravedigger sentenced to death for stealing a holy artifact despite the group covering it up and realizing the young man was trying to feed his siblings after his parents had died and didn't know what he was really taking
That really pissed the group off right there. He got the guy killed after we went through a side quest of proving the grave digger was an idiot, no doubt, but not evil and damn sure unaware of his actions.
>Let a known necromancer free from confinement for favors in learning the dark arts.
>Said necromancer had already amassed quite a few murders in pursuing his craft and was clear that he planned to kill more
>Actively bartered with the BBEG to betray the group in exchange for power. The BBEG thought he was too undeserving of his power though.
>Staked and tortured an known villain to the ground in exchange for information on how to get his hand on the contacts the guy had for his personal gain.
>Refused to the turn the same villain over the authorities because he wanted to use him as a source of contacts for the underworld to spread his own infamy
>Every time the cleric, paladin, or monk prays to the God, he calls them a faggot and spits on them
>Called the mayor of the city we are staying in a complete piece of shit for having a holy festival and said 'putting your faith in a God is the reason your people were kidnapped and murdered. Their deaths are on your head for being a dipshit.'
>The resulting fight from that outburst caused him to kill many city guards while everyone else was doing non-lethal damage.

Had one campaign actually end up ending in a 2v2 because half of us wanted to side with the BBEG and the others were being Stupid Good

I mean, NOT killing the guy would be more likely to be the start of a fall.

>Killed a druid's pet tiger because he wanted the corpse for necromantic use later
>Burned down a toy maker's shop for not offering him a discount
>Intimidated a group of elderly shop owners into giving him everything he wanted for free or else he would kill them
>Has a collection of carved off human faces as trophies
>Burned down a peaceful collection of gypsy tents because they wouldn't give him free shit
>Stole the holy artifact we went on a quest to retrieve after we turned it over to complete the quest to destroy it later

He has done more. All in all, he never did one good aligned thing the entire time we played (so, kudos for staying in character) but he loved the paladin because the pally was by far the heaviest hitter in the group and tanked far more than he did (he took a level in sorceror and would cast a spell and float away from combat all the god damned time and use a lance to keep out of conflict AS A FUCKING FIGHTER).

How did your party not turn on him earlier? Especially with the tiger bit. I mean what Druid wouldn't attack the person who killed his familiar?

Well the druid wasn't part of our group, they were an NPC. They did attack the fighter and the fighter almost had them killed before the cleric stepped in and used non-lethal damage to finish the druid off and left a couple of our healing potions on him and convinced the fighter to beat feet. I (the paladin) wasn't there or else I would have stopped him from killing the tiger. The party is split quite a bit in this game and he does his most vicious by far when I wasn't around to stop him.

When the fight did happen the DM did state he was shocked it didn't happen sooner given what all the fighter has done. I didn't want to have to kill a fellow PC, but I couldn't back down from open hostilities towards me while he pursued evil gains. Dude put me in a corner that I couldn't escape from and not start falling as a pally really, hence the resulting fight.

Mind boggling. There is staying in character and then just being an asshole.

The gnome wizard was being randumb evil. Raping a child to death and enslaving its ghost, or something like that. Anyway, my bard with delusions of heroism decided that wasn't acceptable and stabbed the gnome a bunch.

quite frankly I'm surprised you didn't kill him earlier.

>First time playing 5e
>Be Dwarven Barbarian
>Whole party level 1 still
>Party walking through spoopy hallway underneath town
>Suddenly, steel cages from the roof
>Strength checks to lift cage
>igotthis.exe
>Fail
>Halfling Rouge gets out, goes scouting ahead
>Monk gets out, starts taunting me
>Keep failing Strength checks to lift cage
>Tired of Monk's shit, throw Handaxe at him to get him to shut up
>Having shit luck so far, and Monk having more AP than I did, expect to miss
>Nat fucking 20
>Axe through skull, one shots Monk
>No one else free yet to save him, Halfling still scouting
>Still fail Strength checks
>Monk fails all death saves
>Halfling finally finds lever to free us
>Awkward silence from party as I pull my handaxe out of dead Monk's skull
>Player makes new character, makes him hate dwarfs just to spite me

Wild Magic Sorcerer.
Level 1.
Roll 03 at Wild Magic Surge. First in the game
Fireball comes on the next round and kills both ranger and the rest of our enemies.
No regrets. Though due to one failed roll my Sorc died on the same session.

Now I'm a Neutral Bard of Colledge of Swords who constantly intimidates and beats NE Wizard Necromancer into submission.

> 01
> not 03
That makes you roll Surge each turn.
To rub the salt in the wound I triggered it with Mage Armor.

this is fucking great.

Wow, what a faggot.

this is why we don't wild mage.

because you are an ocd autist that hates fun and would rather be writing spread sheets than actually having a collaborative storytelling experience?

>Party was fugitives in this particular providence
>Im a lv 3 fighter
>party hides in a house with a random family
>rogue shoots and kills a child
>ptsd imminent from background
>1 turn kill the rogue.
>party members font lift a finger for him

End

> Play a Batman Wizard
> Not a single direct damage spell in entire spellbook
> Lawful Evil, moral code forbids me from harming 'associates' and 'children', also doctor doom style 'can never lie'.
> Party is well aware of the above 2 points
> You know, an actual lawful evil character!
> My wizard is followed around by a retinue of 6 Skeletons, all with Tower Shields and Scale Mail, who act as my personal phalanx to stop enemies from getting close

Anyway, the whole party was already varying shades of neutral and bordering on evil, in a campaign that has no problem with evil characters. But then a player decides to kill off their current character, and make a Lawful Good Cleric

> LG Cleric absolutely hates undead
> Hates the "extremely helpful wizard" by extension
> Optimized for maximum undead killyiness
> Also great for killing wizards
> Constantly hands the DM notes
> Only 'readies an action' whenever the wizard gets near him

So I'm a paranoid motherfucker, and this cleric obviously wants to kill my wizard. But my moral code forbids me from killing associates, and he's an associate, so I did the next best thing. I wrote down the following on a secret note.. Literally the first note I have EVER written in a several month long campaign, an act so unprecedented that the whole party sat in stunned silence for several minutes.
> "I cast Contingency. Conditions: "On self-death, activate all 8 explosive runes in my robes."
> Party only sees the note
> I publicly announce in the middle of a huge boss fight with a big bad demon, that my wizard just "Casts a spell".
> Nobody has enough spellcraft to identify it

Nothing came of it during that boss fight. We killed the boss as normal, and the cleric didn't try anything out of fear.

Later on the cleric DID however try attacking my wizard. It went about as well as anyone would expect
> Cleric channels entire retinue to death
> Proceed to smash my wizard's face in
> Save everything on Cleric's arbitrarily high saves

Cont.
> Cleric smashes' my face in with his hammer
> Contingency activates as soon as I drop to -11 health
> Explosive Runes instantly deal 120d6 of fire damage to the cleric with no saves allowed(He was within melee range)
> I'm Fire Immune
> He's not
> Cleric has ascended to a thin cloud of fine duset.
> Second contingency activates, triggering a Breath of Life to self resurrect myself.

So the moral of the story is that wizards should strive to be like the batman, and have a plan to kill everyone.

You are my hero. Seriously, that's the most well put together and executed contingency plans I've ever encountered.

I once killed an entire party. We were in Dis and they tried to cut my wrist as a blood sacrifice to make it into the thrown room of Asmodeus. Bashed those fuckers heads in. That will be the last time they fuck with a gnome barbarian just because he is tiny.