/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Benevolent Whimsy Edition.

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus except for Merid Who Held the Whole of the Blackblock Under Her Hood
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Lyg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for fluffy catterbears

What the fuck is this shit.

>Of all of the Greater Spirits, it is Merid that we should most revere. For what if she forsakes us?
Praise be the Lady of Infinite Energies, she who contains the Plenum, and let her bless this thread.

Merid a shit.

Posting excerpts from the First and Second Scroll of Shadow, in loving memory of Azra Nightwielder.

>First Scroll of Shadow:

>chosen to explore this relation of world to shadow, Azra was the first to realize that shadows were not a mere absence of light but a reflection of possible worlds created by forces in conflict. A light strikes a rock, and the shadow is a record of their clash, past, present and future.
>Other conflicting forces produced less obvious shadows, fire and water, wind and rock, or nations at war.
>With skill and patience, the shadows of all could be read, and patterns teased out, emphasized or eradicated.
>Manipulating a shadow could, through contagion, manipulate the object or force which cast it.

>Second Scroll of Shadow:

>Azra attempted what had never been done before, manipulating his own shadow to such an extent that he instantiated and melded all possible Azras at the same time, crossing over from this singular existence to all the existences in shadow.
>Ignorant Redguard soldiers, fearing the power of Azra should he succeed, trapped and confronted Azra.
>The battle did not go well for the wizard.
>The hole blasted when he lost control of his magics can still be seen at the village that bears his name, Azra's Crossing.
>The science of shadow lost a great man that day, although others, such as Pergan Asuul, strive to take his place.

LEAVE ME ALONE CHROME DEVICE

Echatere
An Orcs fluffy caterpillar mount

I'm skimming through more obscure lore, and I found something fun.
This from a Direnni document detailing the ritualistic construction of their great trebuchet:
>Behold the ritual of making for the Grand and Thaumaturgical and Most Puissant Trebuchet of Overarching Peril.
>He that touches this parchment to the workings of the Trebuchet of Granvellusa and releases its spirits therein shall apprehend before him an full and ready Engine of Mighty Destruction for the subjugation of the Foes of all Direnni.
>Forromeo has spoken. The world shall hear. Let all peoples tremble before the everlasting might and grandeur of Clan Direnni.

Do they actually still have Orctown?

If they're still living on Betony for some fucking random unexplained reason I swear to Akatosh

It doesn't look like a caterpillar at all.

They do have orctown
>rare shaggy giant centipede herdbeast that can live only at high altitudes on alpine and sub-alpine forage.
From PGE edition 1
Centipede, my mistake

Doesn't look like a centipedo either.

Its good enough for ESO

Let me post a incomplete list of the lesser known heroes and villains of Tamriel.
>Mackkan - A legendary warrior blessed by Malacath, who wielded Scourge against Dagon's minions, and forced them back to Oblivion.
>Samar Starlover - Accomplished Battlemage and companion of Dragonne Papre, his dragon mount. Could make the journey from Tamriel to the Battlespire on the back of his dragon.
>Azra Nightwielder - The first great Shadowmage, and a masterful staff crafter, he was the first to realise the true nature of shadows. Melded his own shadow existence into every possible version of himself, a concept that is poorly understood.
>Dram - Dunmeri assassin of the Morag Tong, who despite his death at the hands of House Indoril has seen continued existence through simulacrums. One such simulacrum served Tiber Septim, and wielded the Bow of Shadows.
>Bendu Olo - King of Anvil, led the largest navy in Tamriellic history in battle against the Sload of Thras. Victorious, having sunken Thras entirely, his reign saw Colovia surpass Nibenay.
>Lord Bridwell - Commander of the Knights of the Dragon and the armies of Daggerfall during the War of Betony, and easily the greatest hero of the war.
>Attrebus - Though many known men have had this name, one of them was a warlord of the Interregnum, who managed to take control of the Imperial City. His reign saw the violent expulsion of all Akaviri from Cyrodiil.

>Asliel Direnni - Founder of the Direnni dynasty. Grew up as a poor Altmeri farmer, but became such a great alchemist that his family grew wealthy, and was invited to Artaeum to became a Psijic.
>Jsashe - Witch-Queen of Whiterun. Leader of a local coven of witches, and a self-proclaimed priestess of Lorkhan, who seized control of Whiterun for some time.
>Amelie Bontecou - The only know Breton to rule as chieftain of Thirsk. Ruled for three years after killing Grjotgaror, the former chieftain.
>Allena Benoch - Master of the Valenwood Fighter's Guild and head of the Emperor's Personal Guard in the Imperial City. Renowned swordfighter, which is especially uncommon for a Bosmer.
>Calaxes Septim - Bastard son of Uriel Septim VII. Clergyman, was granted the Archbishopric of The One, but grew discontent with the relatively secular Empire, and was supposedly trying to agitate a religious civil war. Rumoured to have been assassinated by Allena Benoch.
>Barnabas of Tethis - Cursed with prophetic visions, the lowly priest became aware that Jagar Tharn had replaced Uriel Septim VII. Died in the Mines of Khuras, desperately trying to gather the Staff of Chaos.
>Golthog the Dark - Goblin necromancer and agent of the Underking.
>Selene - High Priestess of Shagrath, God of Spiders, and sorceress. Once threatened the entirety of Valenwood with her legions of undead and monstrous spiders.

That's it for now. Just some minor character that are fairly unknown, but fun.

Rislav
Moraelyn
Dres Khizumet-e
Lyrisius

There are much more.

The funny thing is is that Lord Bridwell is involved in some shady shit. Not a very heroic hero.

Are you talking about the drug dealing? That's a generic, randomly generated "Noble" quest.

Aww. I think it'd be a fun twist if that were more canon, especially considering how the Redguards and Bretons each had their own views that painted themselves as good and the enemy as horrible people.

Why do you like TES as a setting? Do you ever find the deeper lore frustratingly confusing, or so focused upon the details of the actual world and its people are left behind?

find it super annoying when I ask about average day to day stuff like makeup preferences or favorite colors , and there's either no lore and is just "what real life is like", or I get dismissed when talking about what is depicted in games because "the games aren't the lore".

Is that the "king of atmora" on the left side of the picture

>disable better heads just to take Winterwound Tribunal picture
>take Winterwound Tribunal picture
>can't get Morrowind working again afterwards without disabling a bunch of mods
Was it Fargoth or Yngling who did this to me?

Bleh, ESO got me thinking again.
They've been putting out different mounts, from horses and camels to guar, giant wolves and bears. Now, I see plenty of people reasonably argue things such as guar being used as pack animals, not mounts; but, I've been wondering: what are some other lore-friendly mounts in Tamriel aside from the horse (discounting ESO and their panda-ering)

Nix-Hounds, for one.

chaurus

Tusked bristlebacks

I find the Mede dynasty to be criminally underrated.

What is the current lore on Argonians and the Hist?

Are Argonians just people (of any race) who have consumed Hist sap and received communion with the Hist; where the Sax-Hleel base their whole culture around it? IIRC this was an MK thing.
Or have they changed it to Argonians are just Sax-Hleel? This is what the newer lore seems to suggest.
Are the different forms and tribes of Argonians still canon or have they become unique? I read somewhere that Nagas are a separate race in ESO, but they don't really fit the description from the Argonian Account.
Are there any references at all to 'life phases' beyond Morrowind? Travelling-New-Woman implies that there is sexual dimorphism before consuming hist sap.

Ho ha ho

Anyone?

Reminder that Valenwood is Imperial Clay

What was Cyrodiil like before the transcription error of TES:Oblivion ?

This, orc are beasts and should be treated as the other enslaved races.

The more I think of it the more sense it makes, they're already accustomed to being lesser than others (chieftain) and seek for protection.

Might just be MK drawing the same faces

It's not a dragonbreak edition, fetchers.

Heartland was subtropical and all around the Imperial City is lots of small villages forming a metropolis, instead of just Weye. Colovians and Nibenese are very different. Imperials had lots of chinese influence.

So /tgesg/, what do you think happens if you just keep sailing away from Tamriel? I've heard some pretty strange theories.

What happens if you just sail towards any of the cardinal points?
If I sail West, past Yokuda, do I get safely to the East coast Akavir?
What happens if keep sailing South?
This assuming my ship is well supplied and can even grow it's own food.

>The unthinkable, the incomprehensible... the tower of Crystal-Like-Law cast to the ground, with all the dignity of a beggar meeting an iron-clad fist.
>What [is] the stone of Crystal-Like-Law? A person.

Guys! GUYS!

What if the Summerset Tower's "stone" escaped and survived?

Steamy jungle criss-crossed with river basins, Imperial City was like a tropical Venice.

>Lyg
huh

uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Lyg

Okay, that map is a bit to speculative. Here's the one that's closer to what MK wanted.

Isn't Lyg in a place separated from Nirn? The dreugh ruled in a previous Kalpa, and Lyg is a parallel Tamriel, so wouldn't it be Tamriel from the previous Kalpa? Would sailing west really be enough to reach it? Also wouldn't most of it be under water because dreugh are amphibious most of their lives?

I don't really undestand either. Lyg is still an obscure concept.
I want people to focus on Personally I think the TES lore should be greatly expanded outside of Tamriel.

Tamriel itself is already well know at this point and seriously starting to fell small. Everything else has great potential.
Nirn itself is just this huge mysterious world.

They're all speculative, there hasn't been any official map yet, and frankly there shouldn't be. Keep the mystery of foreign lands, that's what's missing in our world now and why we love fantasy. The only uncharted places we have left are some forests and maybe the Sentinel islands. Besides, some of the lore is full of shit that works better told instead of shown, like the not-Others of Akavir or the Dragon-Tiger God-King of the mega-khajiit.

All of the other planets are round correct? You'll probably end up back at Tamriel eventually. If Nirn is a special case and happens to be flat, then maybe you'd just sail right into the void. Did the Mananaughts never bother to check and see what their planet looked like?

They can still keep the mystery of foreign lands, but they can reveal more than it's currently know now.
And you have all the unexplored Daedric realms.
They don't need to show all of Akavir for example, just a map with some of the regions there, a painting of the inhabitants or some strange artifacts.

One of the reasons I'm fascinated with Maormer/Pyandonea is because I imagine that in King Orgnum's library there's a huge detailed map of Nirn showing regions that Tamrielic people have no idea about.

>TES VI: Valenwood
>You are the stone of Crystal-Like-Law
>Thalmor try to hunt you down
>Main quest ends with Valenwood secceding from the Aldmeri Dominion

>Personally I think the TES lore should be greatly expanded outside of Tamriel.
>Tamriel itself is already well know at this point and seriously starting to fell small. Everything else has great potential.
>Nirn itself is just this huge mysterious world.
Haha. You could make another game set in Skyrim or Cyrodiil if you'd use all the lore the games didn't show.

You can probably make dozens of distinct games based on different historical periods of the same regions.
And Morrowind didn't show all the lore of the province either.
I'm talking about expanding the lore itself.

Is the landmass of Nirn made up of the Aedra that sacrificed themselves for creation?

>I'm talking about expanding the lore itself.
not our place as fans t b h

bumpan with art

This would have been terrifiying to fight. I have a mod for skyrim that allows more summonable creatures. I just spam "summon chaurus reaper" and those fuckers just WRECK everything.

>Powerful poison spit. It even gets Dragons in mid-air provided they don't change their flight vector too quickly
>Fast and high damage attacks
>Don't waste time with animations (like e.g. Draugr shieldbashing or the "point your sword at the enemy manecingly for 5 seconds") and get straight to killing
>Tough with decent armor
>Dat poison mang
>Unnerving clicking noises
>Nasty animation after killing an enemy: They klick klack their heads up and down like as if taking a bite out of an enemy and klick klick their mandibles excitedly (and loudly)
>Spell is only apprentice level, costs only about 70 to 80 mana with 50 summoning + 2 perks

Even Dragons with mods that make them tougher and more vicious can be killed with relative ease.

Only downside is they sometimes clog up tight spaces like tunnels.

Also:
>Dat GIGANTIC chaurus reaper under the lighthouse near the northern coasts

Why are there no chaurus queens? Chaurus queen riders? The falmer could do nightly raids on chaurus creatures. Chaurus cavalry charges.

Just imagine: Whole villages depopulated during the night. No signs of a strugle. Knights are sent to investigate. The village is in the deepest northern winter, snow storms and short daytimes. They settle down in a snowy inn after their first day of investigation.
Every night the falmer cavalry comes out to hunt.
Every night becomes a fight for survival.
Knights quickly learn they are trapped in the village because their horses are dead and the next village is too far away to reach without dying to the cold.
Bonus points: They find a lone, dirty young peasant girl in a sewage ditch. It speaks of momnsters: "They come out at night."

So, where did Falmer exist?

I wonder if High Rock had Falmer ruins to satisfy my Reach fetish

So: I'm building a house for my character in Skyrim and I want to include one or more shrines. I was planning a hidden shrine to Vivec (that does nothing, since he's no longer a god) and one to mai twin godfus, Meridia and Mara, but I also want some more obscure gods with lore-appropriate blessings, and something interesting to do with their shrine locations / temples. Anyone have any suggestions?

Were Chimer called Chimer (Changed Folk) before Azura turned them into Dunmer? I always assumed they would have been called "Veloth's folk" by their contemporaries.

They seem confined to Skyrim and that island Bloodmoon and Dragonborn are set on. But since they apparently found their way to the halls of the Dwemer, they could pop up pretty much anywhere via underground railroads.

Getting into some creepy shit there

>Were Chimer called Chimer (Changed Folk) before Azura turned them into Dunmer?

Yes.

>I always assumed they would have been called "Veloth's folk" by their contemporaries.

they became the Chimer thru some pact with their patron daedra, before that they were just "Velothi".

>Dat GIGANTIC chaurus reaper under the lighthouse near the northern coasts
That thing is fucking terrifying.

Skyrim, Solstheim, probably the Western Reach aswell. The Forgotten Vale is pretty much in High Rock, and some Dwemer ruins have exits in both provinces. There's probably other islands in the Sea of Ghosts where they can be found, like Roscrea and hundreds of other islands we've never heard about. Might be some non-corrupted falmer hiding out aswell.

Ius, Sai, Ebonarm, ancient Nordic gods (Jhunal, Kyne, Stuhn)

>Might be some non-corrupted falmer hiding out aswell.

This seems nigh certain, given that Forgotten Vale exists. Maybe not on the mainland but as you say on one or more of those frozen islands out in the SoG.

Any source for any of these?

Hunding=HoonDing=Talos, right?

They sound cool, any thoughts on something lore-appropriate for them?

I assume Ancient Falmer lived in roughly the same area as their devolved descendant live in.
So, basically, just Skyrim and the mountainous border regions.
The Forgotten Vale is technically in the mountains of the Western Reach near Haafingar.

No, HoonDing is an ancient god of some kind apparently only known in Yokuda, Talos is from Tamriel and became a god by mantling Lorkhan.

Ius is a god of luck which you can't represent in Skyrim as it's missing attributes. Sai is an animal god, you can give the same blessing you get from reading the etched tablets on the 700 steps. Ebonarm is a god of war, fortify two-handed or fortify heavy armor might be cool.

Awesome, I can definitely see a shrine to Ius in the games room, then. My character is a wizard so not much reason to honor either of the others especially, but thanks for the info.

Incidentally, am I the only person who always leaves something at those little shrines you find in the wilderness? Usually I drop some piece of jewellery or maybe an enchanted weapon, nothing too valuable, if I use the shrine or read the skillbook many of them have.

Yes. I like being an RPing son of a bitch, and generally place some stuff at every shrine my character respects.

My characters have a strict policy of never mocking the gods. I always leave something, even if it's just a token, and never steal from temples or shrines, not even the shrines of demons like Azura and Dagoth.

Also I always "steal" and eat the food in rooms I rent. Why is the food not included, dammit? Who leaves food in a room he rents out anyway, if it's not intended for the rentee?

Oh, you want gods of wizardry and knowledge in general? Try Magnus, Hermaeus Mora and Julianos/Jhunal.

I have a shrine of Julianos in the library, I forgot to mention it. Herma Mora is a no-no, dealing with him always goes badly in the end. Magnus. Hmm. Some kind of solar shrine, maybe, perhaps I can put one in the courtyard...

Yes.

you telling me magnus made the wheels of lull as a base and just started smashin and slappin aedra on the thing and then peaced the fuck out when it starting squirming?

It's a metaphor. And yes.

I like to think that Magnus desinged the "skeleton" of Mundus and the Earthbones "filled" the rest of the "organs".
Then, akin to the dwemer becoming the "skin" of Numidium, the divines became the "skin" of Mundus when Lorkhan's heart was removed.

Are there any characters who specialize in luck?
Like how Master Chief wasn't the strongest or the most skilled in any particular weapon, but he was the luckiest which made him special
Gameplay it's more of a "make everything a bit better", but I was interested in any people who were like super lucky consistently.

Ius is the Animal god, Sai is the luck god who takes the form of a wolf. Nords believe killing a wolf is bad luck because of him, and it's implied that Skyrim's history of conquer is because he spent so much time there. The entire reason he's there is to explain why Nord Women have a bonus to luck.

It's because as a proud, strong Nord woman you are the most desirable of all women on Tamriel. You always get lucky.

All of my characters have a bonus to Luck and Endurance. The Luck bonus is more efficient to get and helps me out since I play wizards, and the Endurance bonus early on make sure I rapidly gain more health each level.

>Sai is the luck god who takes the form of a wolf. Nords believe killing a wolf is bad luck because of him

Yikes, I kill every wolf I see. Time to learn a fear spell instead I guess.

Is terrorism a thing in TES? Dunmer could say 'Azura Ackbar', Imperials could say 'Akatosh Ackbar', Skaal could say 'All-Maker Ackbar', Altmer could say 'Auriel Ackbar'... what other Gods starting with 'A' do we have?

>Is terrorism a thing in TES?
Literally the sixth house cult in tes3

They probably scrapped the wolf thing and replaced it with Mara. Would've been cool if Sai had a spot in the Nordic pantheon though.

>TES lexicon supports a language with entirely different roots than already established languages eg aldmeris

Also the Comorra Tong / House Hlaalu.

In Bloodmoon, the Imperials imply they are ugly. I do think Runa is a qt, though.

Besides, I wouldn't say that Nords are the most desirable in a world where qt Breton Witch grills want to cuddle by the fire.

He went the way of Jhunal. Probably why Skyrim hasn't had any good luck in a while.

She (?) is probably still canonically part of the pantheon, but being a rural deity (presumably, hence the wolf) she isn't represented by a temple in the big cities. Maybe those cairns you see are sacred to Sai, as the rural deity of luck would be a patron saint to travellers.

I love the depth and detail. The only things I get mixed up with are the origins of man.
As for the actual world and it's people, that's more for the games and it's characters. I love a lot of Morrowind characters like Caius, or Jobasha, Aryon, Neloth, Fyr, or Ahnassi for example.

Maybe I'm autistic for thinking this but in my headcanon the ancient Nordic pantheon is still prevalent in Skyrim and even in the western holds more popular than the Imperial one. The game only showed the imperial worship though.

THIS NIGGER!

Sai is a man. According to legend, he fell in love with a beautiful silver haired Nord. They love each other and even started a family. The gods noticed this and had an intervention, see how luck was disproportionately stronger in Skyrim due to his presence. They banned him from ever seeing his wife, but he still sneaks by to see her whenever he can, disguised as a wolf.

The more I think about it, the more Sai sounds like Lorkhan.

>The more I think about it, the more Sai sounds like Lorkhan.
Sai = Shor
And I bet that the silver haired woman sounds a bit like Nir, or Kyne, who is evoked for auspicious stars at birth.

And the Dagonites (Mythic Dawn).