EDH/Commander General

Unplayable Commanders edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Thread topic: What are some commanders that you would run in a purposely bad deck?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-08-16-isamaru-voltron/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-08-16-lets-get-weird/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/marhault-challenger-spacecraft/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/w-a-t-c-h-t-h-e-t-h-r-o-n-e/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jagged-pauper/?cat=custom
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jelevas-bffs/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-08-16-daxos-enchantments/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wheel-em-and-deal-em-leovold/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Norin the Wary for the memes

One of my favorite commanders, perfect for a thallid/spore counter/saprolings deck.
Of course, it is also my single weakest deck. Thallids suck. Spore counters are unwieldy and inefficient. Saprolings only work in large quantities and any Ghave, Guru of Spores deck would win a hundred games for every one of Thelon's.

I threw together a Phage deck once. She got flickered as soon as I finally got her out. I should have waited for a sac outlet, but I got excited.

Least he has cards just for himself. You'll never see this anywhere else.

>I threw together a Phage deck once. She got flickered as soon as I finally got her out.
How did you even get her out of the command zone without losing?
Command Beacon?

Alright, so I just pulled this greasy moonman from a Conspiracy pack today and I want to use him, but I already have a mono blue deck in the works. What deck would make the best use of him in the 99? I was thinking something Oloro/Azorius-esque, maybe Simic.

>The gods are open to double he removal

Right totally, except for all the removal that says destroy

And the fact that they usually don't have devotion

>Oloro

I meant Esper. Anything U/x that isn't Mono-Blue, UB or UR

Nekusar

Post 'em!

Nekusar the Memerazer

Basically yeah, you just tutor for Command Beacon. You can also use more risky things like Platinum Angel or the awful black counterspells to counter her, then return her from the graveyard to your hand and cast her again.

Leovold :^)

>calling Withering Boon awful
Those are fighting words, user.

Alright here ya go

I already have a Grixis deck though and the memerazer has a bad stance in my meta.

That's disgusting and I love it, but I really want to do Sultai Zombies though.

Goddamn I love this synergy. Best land added to the deck in a long time.

Please rate my deck, I need criticism. I also dunno if Voltron is better for one-on-one or multiplayer.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-08-16-isamaru-voltron/

Silly synergy is best.

don't give your opponents cards if you don't have a plan for it

Did you post that here before? It looks much better than it did. But the best way to test if it's good is to actually play it.

Voltron is the definitely one of the most fragile things to get going. If you get lucky and get your shit going it takes a lot to take a voltron down. I have a Ruhan and a Krond deck. Easy to disrupt until a point. If they get there they are nigh unstoppable.

Agreed

Thoughts on my list?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-08-16-lets-get-weird/

Getting real tired of this dank meme.

I.. I don't think this works. Part of the cost is returning Magosi to your hand. You can put a billion counters on it but as soon as you use it, it goes back to your hand.

Sorry call me a noobs. But what?

I see what the two cards do together. I guess I don't understand what that means over all.

My friend is telling me to add Winds of Rath but I don't think I need any more wrath effects, do I? Also, are equipments that give flat +X/+X effects worth it for Voltron at all? I made a point to only pick things that give abilities. Like I really wanna include Blight Sickle and Ogre's Cleaver but I dunno if it's in line with my goal of simply killing with Commander damage. I already have a lot that adds unblockable effects, he proof and indestructible plus one flicker effect and assault suit to prevent sacrifice effects.

This is getting more forced than the scarred puma meme. pls stop.

On your turn you're exiling a card you might be able to play with the draw, whereas your opponents might be tapped out or they might exile sorcery speed stuff, so only you are drawing really, also they have to discard

Main phase. Tap and activate the Geier Reach Sanitarium. Everyone draws. Uba mask makes every card drawn go to exile and they can be played till end of turn. So, You get to draw and cast that card on your main phase while your opponents have to exile their's(Unless Instant, Flash, bla, bla). And then everyone discards. Btw, this is in a Daretti prison deck.

Honestly I think you might have it backwards, there's diminishing returns on keywords (trailblazer's boots for instance might just make any trample, flying, first strike, etc obsolete) whereas you definitely want to be at the point of 1-hit killing or 2-hit killing

Not to say you should cut all your equipment that gives abilities but there's no point in having a 4/4 isamaru with trample, unblockable, flying, nonbasic land walk, first strike, shroud, and double strike when you could just have a 11/11 isamaru with legendary land walk and double strike

But you can put down a land each turn, and if you have an extra turn you can put down an extra land.

I think I see what you mean. Keep all of the unblockable effects and only defensive abilities plus P/T boosters. Any recommendations for good P/T boosters? I'm trying to keep my average CMC low bit might make exceptions. Would the Sickle be a good defensive equipment? It gets around indestructible to eliminate fatties.

Here's the problem:

No matter how many counters are on Magosi, you can only ever take one extra turn, due to the cost of bouncing it, even if you have fastbond, there's no way of putting an eon counter on it without skipping a turn, so no matter what you can never take more turns than you skip

Ten-four

New conspiracy legends look to be hella fun, and adding monarch to edh is definitely gonna liven our table up.

What part of conspiracy 2 are you guys most hyped about?

THE QUEEN
I can't wait to get my hands on her ass

Actually all the cheap equipment I can think of that boosts p/t already seems to be on your list besides bone saw

Built this as a challenge to myself. Fuck me it's fragile and janky but what fun EDH deck isn't?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/marhault-challenger-spacecraft/

Commander for ants

Remember taking 3 cards off the too and tucking them in repeats of at least 4 is not cheating when shuffling

But how

It's cool I guess

You built around rampage

Too bad it's only rampage 1

Where the fuck is your temur battle rage?

>Already have a Kruphix deck that its main feature is card drawing
>Already have a Selvala grouphug deck that has an emphasis on giving extra draws for all
>Tempted to make Leovold as an Anti-grouphug but with all those grouphug draw cards

Should I make it? Should I???

I'm planning on replacing Tasigur with Leovold in my political group hug deck. Party's over, boys.

YOU ARE NOW 「W A T C H I N G T H E T H R O N E」

DON'T LET ME GET IN MY 「Z O N E」

I'M DEFINITELY IN MY 「Z O N E」

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/w-a-t-c-h-t-h-e-t-h-r-o-n-e/

What about these: ogres cleaver, bone splitter, dark steel axe, leonin scimitar, O-Naginata, trusty machete, cranial plating, hero's blade, ring of thune, vulshok Morningstar

Is this any good for stax purposes?

What would be the best kind of card to discard to get the damage? Lands?

Chandra's ignition

Lay out your grand strategy for us

I'd rather run

I have too many decks that don't play to multiplayer (to the point of not being fun), coming off of only playing 1v1 on MODO for the longest time so my paper decks reflect that.

My new paper meta is very creature-centric, somewhere between midrange and battlecruiser so I want a deck that influences the ever-present combat step in my favor

I feel like you can do better. 3 damage is negligible and 4 mana is a lot for that effect. Necrogen Mists and Bottomless Pit start working after your turn ends, and Cunning Lethemancer can be pulled from your GY more easily than enchantments

How fast do you think people would scoop?

You can't play cranial plating in mono white

immediately. Good work I guess.

Building for Jeleva. Is there a "proper" ratio of spells to other things like creatures and artifacts?

this plus all the other crazy random red effects like goblin game, scrambleverse, and warp world would make for a pretty damn hilarious game

Tivadar is either unplayable or fucking broken, depending on your meta. I had no idea Tivadar's Crusade existed until finding Tivadar the creature. As far as I know the only way to abuse either card is Shields of Velis Vel

38 lands 61 instants and sorceries.

Just wanted to post my Jagged Poppet pauper deck again and see if anyone had any suggestions or comments. I have switched out a lot of cards. I have also added crappy custom tags. Some cards are shared between tags.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jagged-pauper/?cat=custom

I know you're being facetious, but running her creatureless is intriguing. Does anyone actually do it?

>thatsthejoke.dek

Yes.
Jelava is basically a fair Narset. You don't really need creatures for her; maybe some rocks to ramp

Cool. Would you happen to have any list examples? Commander-as-only-creature sounds so risky and entertaining.

Feldon put in more work tonight than I thought was possible for one of the 99. Holy shit.

>friend busts out new "murder" deck that he's amped about
>M15 Ob Nix at the helm
>realize as we start that this is the worst possible general to face down using Zirilan
>guy casts Emrakul 2.0 fairly early, targets me and cackles with glee
>topdeck Reforge the Soul, he casts it, discards sac outlets and some big Dragons
>draw Wheel of Fortune from that, he casts it, discards more good shit but draws Feldon, Boots and Extraplanar Lens in new hand
>inadvertently fills my yard with some of the best dragons in my deck
>topdeck Thousand-Year Elixir
>go fucking berserk with hasty artifact Dragons
>none of his Murder cards work on Feldon because Boots

Shit was magnificent. I'm swapping stuff out and turning Zirilan into Feldon.

It's an artifact, but Proteus Staff is great in creatureless decks because you get to stack your deck how you want it

careful there, you'll trigger all the competitive/stax autists

they cant stand having their $2k+ decks be brought down to an equal power level to other people's decks

necrogen mists vs bottomless pit vs oppression

Oh wow, that looks hilarious and tedious.

>brewing an Adriana deck with a bunch of token producers and Soul Warden/Impact Tremors type effects
>look up Auriok Champion
>see the price tag
What the fuck happened? Fucking speculators.

>watching the Odric 2.0 lifegain player get visibly dismayed after telling the table I was going to make 11 billion mana and throw it at them with a Fireball

I fucking love Melek holy shit

>implying auriok's value hasn't been that high for months and months because of soul sisters in modern

>shitting on the mono-white player is somehow an accomplishment

>needed some cheap sac outlets for a few decks
>bought a set of foil Greater Gargadons when they were around $2-3 for a foil
>mfw finding out about the recent spike

Probably the first time I made out like a bandit on a totally random buy

>tfw have a friend who has a casual deck that if he gets the right combo can turn one drop 16ish goblins
>tfw facing red as a monowhite human token deck player

Guy dropped a Felidar Sovereign while sitting on about 200 life and was fully confident about winning off of that when it got around to him

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jelevas-bffs/

Found this. It looks like a really cool application of Jeleva and Proteus Staff.

Post cards that let you hold the table hostage

thats a spicy meatball

It's ok, gA, you can tripfag. We don't mind.

(in a Heartless Hidetsugu deck)

Are the other ones worth it at all, though?

this is my daxos the returned deck. opinions?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-08-16-daxos-enchantments/

>still thinking that's an accomplishment when having all the power of eternal format U at your disposal

at least the W player isn't playing on easy mode

props to him for getting that far

somebody wanna take a look at my spicy brew?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wheel-em-and-deal-em-leovold/

Taking out a bunch of vanilla elves for Wheel effects/Elf Lords, looking to run mostly Elf tribal with Leovold being there for situational "fuck you" and card draw.

Suggest cards to replace others, I'm more than happy to buy cards that are under 20$

Drafted one and got one in one of my prize boosters and after seeing Monarch in action, I'm actually considering putting one almost every one of my decks. It just adds so much more interaction, instead of just people ramping for days waiting to go off.

user there are zero wheel effects in this deck

Torpor orb

>he didn't see Day's Undoing

You're a shitter.

I am also a shitter but that's because I don't have the cards I need on me right now. Suggest some shit hombre. Getting a tefferi's puzzle box and a bunch of other wheel effects in the mail soon, hopefully.

>Wheel and Deal
>Zero wheels

>You're a shitter.
Says the guy who claims "all the wheels" and isn't even in red

Anyway, grab yourself a Windfall, Dark Deal, Whispering Madness, Time Reversal and Time Spiral

Timetwister if you're REALLY feeling spendy

>nobody can see day's undoing

please. There's at least one there.

Also it's more of a tribal with a theme around fucking over my opponents hands through stopping draw, forcing discards, and (eventually) wheeling hands.

imo monarch should be mandatory in EDH games just to encourage more interaction instead of the ramping arms race to infinite combo

aggro decks might have a chance if there's a house rule that the first one to deal combat damage becomes monarch

Like I said, I'm also a shitter.

Aight famalam thanks for the input, putting an order through from MTGMintCards, should come through by end of next week.

Speaking of which, anybody have any issues with MTGMintCards before? They supposedly do stupid fast delivery from china, and aren't fake cards (not that it really matters, I play casual).

Has anyone here ever had Lotus Vale or Lotus Bloom put in enough work to really justify them? Bloom looks good in Daretti but Vale looks like it might be tricky

>1199$ for a damaged card

Why did I start this fucking EDH bullshit jesus christ.

Timetwister is the only Power 9 card that is legal in EDH, you can skip it man

Nigga you best be running Dragon Tyrant and Knollspine Dragon. Those cards are obscene in Feldon.