No pain

I have a question for you /ddg/.
Imagine a classic situation of a PC making a wish to a djinn.
Now imagine the PC wishing for "not feeling pain anymore, ever."
What changes would that implies for a PC ?

I was thinking about hiding the PC hitpoints from him, and not telling him for how much damage he received if he gets hurt, only the gravity : light, medium or heavy damage.

But what about sickness ? Acid burns ? Magical damage ?

How a PC feeling no pain at all would behave, what risks would come with that condition ?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_insensitivity_to_pain_with_anhidrosis
youtu.be/_V5139qnQpk?t=32
twitter.com/AnonBabble

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_insensitivity_to_pain_with_anhidrosis

That is one of the dumbest wishes I've ever heard. It's like saying "I wish I didn't have one eye", the djinn doesn't even have to twist it.

Jesus, man, you're new at this. That wish is so easy to pervert the djinn doesn't even have to work. The very FIRST thing that springs to mind is the PC gets turned into a statue. Voila! No more pain!

The good news is this indestructible statue will likely become a legendary item in its own right. "Currently on display in the throne room of Argus IV, after being used as the tip of a battering ram to take the city he rules. Before that, spent fifty years inside a dragon that bet a fellow dragon he could digest it. Before that..."

You know leprosy? Yeah, it's essentially that. People seem to think it's some kind of nurgles rot shit where your body parts fall off- really it's just deadened nerves. They have no idea when they're getting injured, or if they have wounds, or if those wounds are infected.

Just read up on people with leprosy, like Baldwin the IV of Jerusalem.

Looks like that kind of condition would make for a better and interesting quest-giver, like a King who feels no pain but is still dying because of how he can't feel the cancer eating him from the inside.

"Help me feel pain again !"

You suck at corrupting wishes.
Just give let the Dijinn give him the wish as is, he feels no pain. Now make it so every time he uses a melee weapon he takes damage from his muscles breaking because hes not holding back due to pain. Also realize that means you can shoot him with a Bow and Arrow or gun and he wont realize. So you can just say "You take 32 damage" and when the player asks why just shrug your shoulders. You can basically get 2 rounds of Surprise against the player.

That's one situation where you wouldn't want to feel pain, though. A more likely scenario is that feeling no pain means feeling nothing at all. Sure, you take reduced damage, but sex is meaningless, you can't taste your food, can't feel a warm summer breeze.

youtu.be/_V5139qnQpk?t=32

Google CIPA, it's a real medical condition.

Nonsense. Ruling that he somehow takes damage every time he swings a weapon is ridiculous. A better perversion would be that he loses all Dex bonuses (if any) due to lack of feedback, gets nothing out of sex, etc.

Unless a wound is extremely obvious, they won't even notice it. Don't divide it into light, medium, or heavy damage; if someone hits them with a sword, the only way to tell if it deflected off them or if they just got a massive gouge cut into them is checking. Which they better do, otherwise they're probably going septic.

Sickness? They'll notice things like mucus, but no aches or pains. Acid? Feels like dipping their hands in water until they realize they don't feel the water anymore because their hand is gone. Magical damage? Feels like pressure if they're lucky, nothing if not.

This guy is an idiot, and he's going to die very quickly. Pain exists for a reason.

He's losing his sense of pain, not his sense of touch. Unless he's a masochist it's not going to do anything to his sex life.

You know what would be a novel idea?

A Djinn that isn't a total cunt.

He gets free when his 3rd wish is over as that was the binding conditions the ancient bastard who stick him in a bottle made and he is genuinely happy that you let him out.

So yes, he is going to want to reward you and any fuck ups in the wish are due to his ineptitude rather than malicious intent.

That's the thing I want,, honestly, a djinn that doesn't fuck the player over by corrupting the wish or going out of his way to kill his sense of touch too.

Feels like it's a wish more interesting than "I wish for more wish" or wishing for incredible magical weapon. I'm trying to see how feeling no pain could fit, hinders AND help a PC.

That "help" notion is important too, what kind of action would that PC be able to do "thanks" to his condition ?

>He's losing his sense of pain, not his sense of touch.
the easiest way for the djinn to remove his sense of pain would be to numb his nerve endings, which would also make him unable to feel touch.

+2 bonus to all physical attributes. He's no longer held back by feeling pain when he pushes himself.

So I guess Vampires, Liches and all other associated sapient undeads falls also in that category of feeling no pain at all ?

Well,if you're not going for the obvious fuckery (like gentle suggested), hiding what damage the PC is taking is an interesting option, but the character himself still sees the wounds he's taking (no matter how insensitive to pain he is,if they sink a spear in his guts he's gonna know it).

Acid and magic damag would go the same way,I think. The only exception would be sicknesses,painful poison and so on; in that case you should roll his saves in secret and hint the effects in the narrative, like "you start feeling weird" or "suddenly you feel like something's dropping from your mouth".

That would be correct. Dracula was not killed or tormented by sunlight, just lost much of his power.

Not to mention it could also extend to the PCs emotion where they can't seem to care or become invested in things anymore.
Though this would only be possible with the cooperation of the player.

I don't think physical pain could be linked to emotional stability. If the PC's lover were to break up with him/her, the PC would still feel sad and lonely : it's a brain thing, not a nerve thing.