SS13: d20

Rolled 17 (1d20)

Welcome to the thread for d20 station, a rules light Space Station 13 server.

>What is Space Station 13?
It's a 2D top down atmospherics simulator with who dun it gameplay layered on top. Each crew member aboard the station has a specific job to perform, while a select few are selected to be traitors (assassin/spy/thief).

>How do I play?
You'll need to download the BYOND client. There's games other than SS13, but enter those at your own risk.
BYOND Download link: byond.com/download/
You'll also want a BYOND account,which gives you a ckey so you can save preferences and be recognized by the game. It's highly recommended to make an account if you're experiencing connection issues or don't want to be a fat tourist/starving space bum.

To connect: Open BYOND, click the gear in the upper right. Click "Open Location" and paste in the IP below.
byond://76.16.8.127:28014 OR byond://d20station.ddns.net:28014

>How do I play
Use OOC (backspace say" in the bottom, type OOC and hit enter) and ask someone for help on how to play. People will almost always help you get a grip of the game if you're polite about it, just don't reveal too much in-round information in OOC. There's also wikis dedicated to documenting the spaceman way of life, but they vary widely from server to server.

>What are the rules?
The rules are very relaxed and admins try to take a hands-off approach to administrating. Admins will generally only intervene if someone is explicitly playing to ruin the game or being a dick. Reminder to read the rules in-game.

>What map/code do you run?
We run a heavily modified Ministation map with mostly custom code. Most jobs on Ministation are merged with similar counterparts and head roles have been re-enabled.

>D20 wiki where?
robustvinyl.com/ss13/wiki/

>When does everyone play?
Check out the server pop graph to see when people are playing: ss13.se/servers/3031/

>Who are these tripfaggots?
Usually admins/coders in the server.

1. for Augmentations.

>Augs
Genetic engineering is where it's at nigga.

>being a meatbag

Been a while since I've come around here, is the server doing alright?

>being a bucket of bolts
enjoy getting #rekt by ions and stunned by everything a normal person gets stunned by. I'll be sipping my coffee in space with my three hearts that regen blood, my immunity to cold, my ability to generate my own oxygen, my eye lasers and my resistance to brute damage.

Not in the slightest, we're dead as shit.

Have you tried going public?

We ARE public, we're on the byond list. We're at the bottom however because we have no players.

we are.But not enough people know about the place.

That sucks. Have you tried posting fun stories in this thread to attract players? I know that's what got me playing on this server in the first place.

Yes. we've posted a few stories in the thread, but it seems no one even bothers looking through the thread or gets interested in them.

It might help if you have some sort of active discussion going on to keep the thread off page 10, or even just enough posts in the thread to draw in most posters (I know I usually skip checking threads that don't have at least 30 posts in them). I know back in the day there was often talk about newly implemented mechanics and the admins and mechanics players would like to see.

With the low player count some of us lurk the lobby and discuss most of these things there.
I posted about pooping in the last thread and received some shit about it but then the discussion suddenly died.

Well there was talk about the big brand new genetics system Aiden added like a month ago, but that's old news at this point and now the biggest new feature is shitting,

>shitting

So we goon now?

Tell me about the new genetics, is it better than the old one? That RNG was godawful

The only RNG is round start now. Every block has a number of effects scattered through the upper half. You can add tools to the machine to test for these effects.
Every block has a different theme like: eyes, brain or kidneys.

Changing the SE is now done by directly modifying the digits up or down.
Finding good effects requires you to probe a block with the right tool. Then after finding a bunch of desirable effects you can combine them to make super soldiers.

You also have the organ growth block which allows you to grow all the limbs/organs. There is limited space for organs inside the chest so you have to pick how you improve people, their organs and their genetics.

Sounds complicated

I hope the addition of more complicated and difficult to master mechanics hasn't been part of the reason for this server's fall in popularity

I know it turned me off a little when all the things I worked so hard to learn got completely reworked and my knowledge returned to 0 without ever becoming really robust in the first place

The player base that was here at the time clamored for more interesting and complex systems in game to add more depth due to a lot of them running out of things to explore.

When players started to do Toxins just for the sake of being able to say they can nuke the station with three or four 20 dev bombs, the server was already in dire straits of boredom since there wasn't really any excitement in antags anymore what with Freeman hanging up the antag coat to become an admin and the rest of the talented antags either getting banned, reformed from their ways, or leaving for greener pastures.

SS13 thrives and dies on the presence or absence of good antag players to keep rounds interesting and that doesn't necessarily mean antags that are robust, but ones that actually fuck shit up. Of course not making a huge mess of the station and staying undercover is usually more conducive to completing your objectives, but that's not fun for everyone else.

I find more the lack of interest to be from lack of interaction between players, no one really plays a character on this server. Just mouthpieces for memes.

As one of the toxins fags I personally started working on making bombs because I found the atmos system interesting and seeing the fruits of my labor was satisfying.

Although I can't speak for how antags were way back when freeman did his thing an antag just fucking shit up for the sake of fucking shit up is boring as hell, there has to be an art to it. I can easily detonate all 4 of my bombs on the station and call the shuttle, that fucks everything up but it's boring as all hell.

That's because there's basically no difficulty involved in making high dev bombs and nuking everything. It's like what science has often been accused of being: a flowchart, except instead of having a few restrictions like needing to acquire minerals and the security cases, Toxins can do almost everything it needs to do with just access to RnD to make a heater and a cooler and that comes standard for all science players.

The difference between Freeman murdering everyone on the station and some guy in Toxins nuking the station with his bombs is that actually duking it out with half a dozen other players is extremely difficult and worthy of respect (unless they're all new), whereas blowing everything up is not only uninspired but unchallenging.

The memes are godawful and cringeworthy and probably need to be ended ASAP.

>not challenging to make high dev bombs
Yeah sure once you memorize the exact formula, the proper tweaking, the whole method to do it until it's second nature, sure then yeah it's totally fucking easy. Robusting whole groups of players is difficult, but you clearly know diddly dick about atmos if you think it's easy to make a max dev bomb unless you already know what the fuck you're doing.

You're kind of full of shit if you honestly believe that learning how to make high dev bombs is hard, time-consuming, or even requires the slightest technical understanding of atmos

You can get Dev 8-10 bombs with just the standard burn room setup and basic idiot experimentation, and those are more than sufficient for rendering the station uninhabitable, anything above that is pure excess for the sake of it

Actually, no you can't. Especially after nernums tweaked the atmos system. Burn chamber setups hardly get you 3 dev at best now. if it was so fucking easy then every idiot with a RnD card would be making 10 dev bombs left and right.

Toxins as a whole requires a basic knowledge of atmos and how it works, you think we just shat out the 20+ dev bombs out of our ass without bothering to spend any time on it?

Oh and to add to this "uninhabitable" means jack and shit, especially if you hit an area that's empty or even worse, you fail to kill the people in the area. putting a 10 dev bomb in the center of medbay would leave a few departments intact, and leave the EVA suits untouched. And medbay is one of the most tightly packed places on the station.

>Actually, no you can't. Especially after nernums tweaked the atmos system. Burn chamber setups hardly get you 3 dev at best now. if it was so fucking easy then every idiot with a RnD card would be making 10 dev bombs left and right.

Oh good, so instead you idiots are making heater/cooler rigs and making 20+ dev bombs left and right and patting yourselves on the back for it just like you're doing right now, what an improvement m i rite? There's nothing challenging in it. And because of that, there's nothing worth praising about it. This exact attitude that so many of you adopted is exactly what drove me away from this server in the first place. Which one are you? 'Bombunny'? Victor? You say the memes are a problem, but you are those memes.

>Toxins as a whole requires a basic knowledge of atmos and how it works

Hahahahaha no. "heat up gas #1 and cool down gas #2 without going over a container pressure limit for the hot gas" is not a basic knowledge of atmos, it's a formula.

>you think we just shat out the 20+ dev bombs out of our ass without bothering to spend any time on it?

You think it's impressive that you figured out an algorithm? You think it's impressive to be an antag with godlike power over a station's existence or destruction, and win the round?

Yeah I guess it's a good thing you can only make one single bomb per round, right? Oh wait no, that's not how it works.

You don't even know how the bombs are made do you? It's not a simple combination of hot and cold gas, it's taking a careful measured amount of gas, causing it to combust at a controlled rate then introducing it to a measured amount of cold gases.

So yes, I'd say I have an understand of how the atmos system works, because I used my knowledge of atmos to help refine the formula.

All I'm saying it's not as easy as "I figured out how to bang the two rocks together. now I'm a god".

Well, assuming we have 4 10 dev bombs we have to carefully place our bomb so that it hits something vital and preferably kills as many people as possible.

If you go for maximum destruction of an area, you still leave a lot of ground uncovered with only 10 dev bombs, if you try and take out the hardsuits? you miss at least one set. Try and take out key points? You leave plenty of safe places for people to travel. A 5 tile dev increase makes a huge difference.

29 posts, my work here is done

The rest is up to y'all

Next we discuss shitting and how pooping is literally the shittiest idea yet.

How's it work?

So far it seems to be multiple parts, the first part being it's going to be a meter like hunger and thirst. If you let it fill up and don't relieve yourself at a toilet by strapping into it your character shits their jumpsuit and beings moving slower. After that is literally just shitting wherever you want, forcing janitors to clean it, and possibly making it a reagent to splash around.

Another thing I forgot is eating items then pooping them out for sneaking them in places.

Right now I'm not a 100% on how poop will be made but it will be seperate from pee. You'll be able to swallow items and poop them out later. Pooping in buckets or your jumpsuit will be a thing.
I don't think I'll add any real downside to shitting yourself for now. Maybe if everyone just walks around in a shit caked jumpsuit.

>Maybe if everyone just walks around in a shit caked jumpsuit.

Just like goon!

If you don't add in any penalties for shitting yourself, most people will probably just ignore needing to poop and just walk around in a shit stained suit.

Maybe people will take RP value from not being shit caked and bully people who are. If none of those happen then I'll look into forcing people to poop.