Sci fi humans stuck in a fantasy setting

Lets say pre war halo humans had a mishap with a slipspace jump and crashed landed on a high magic fantasy world (like Elder Scrolls levels of magic). How would they fare? Assume their are no 'local' humans before them.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome,_Sweet_Rome
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nader_Shah#Invasion_of_the_Mughal_Empire
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Conserve Ammo

Ammo is pretty easy to make and if the ship can replicate basic parts I would be stunned at the UNSC incompetence.

>(like Elder Scrolls levels of magic)
Yeah, they're fucked.

>Ammo is pretty easy to make
Nogunz detected
Do you have all the components of cordite memorized? Do you know how to recognize the needed ores in the wild? How to mine + process them?

Check this out:
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome,_Sweet_Rome
Really it would wildly depend on what resources and people were near to their landing point and what supplies they have on board.
Things like bullet casings require specialized machine tools to make, you cant just have a local blacksmith bang that out.

If they have on-board manufacturing facilities and a nearby civilization receptive to their language/ideals/technology, then they would do pretty well. If not, things would be tough.

What I don't understand about the pic is wasn't India an economic powerhouse for most of it's history? How the hell did Europeans advance so much in technology while China and India stayed where they were when they've been the dominate civilizations for a good chunk of history?

We're playing RPGs to figure such things out in detail.

When you hit the top you get complacent, most human achievements are based in part around outdoing some one else

Science happened, Age of Enlightenment happened.

>(like Elder Scrolls levels of magic)

A wandering protagonist drops buckets on all their heads, steals everything they own that they're not carrying, then steals everything they are carrying, including the clothes off their backs, uses the console to give themselves infinite carry-weight and sex-change the humans' leader, then hops on their horse and rides away straight up a mountain.

None of the gameplay shit like that is canon in your over rated vidya

I get that the reasons Europeans got so powerful was because they were constantly inventing new things to kill each other, but India only recently exists as a single nation. For the most part it was fractured like Europe. And for China it constantly had rebellions replacing dynasties and had to deal with the Japs. What about that?

>Implying East and South Asia weren't scientific overlords when Europe was having it's Dark Ages.

>he doesn't know about CHIM

>Dark Ages
Can we stop this meme

Overly traditional? The Hindu caste system and Chinese worker ant ideals were pretty limiting to the masses, but then again Europe was also limited by feudal and aristocratic systems.

>Dark Ages

I suppose the British system was just less limiting, more merit entered the system then with the eastern nations thoughts of casts and dynasties

I imagine it'd go much like the Chinese cartoon series Gate, but with less nationalism.

What? Europe went to shit after Rome fell, dark ages, duh.

The rise and fall of empires from shitholes is pretty much a cycle. Nowadays big players like 'Murica have managed to hold off the end of the cycle by kicking down especially feisty shitholes, but it's still happening, albeit slowly (see: Yurop).

When a country grows fat and lazy, it starts decaying. When it decays entirely, other countries take its place. Fast forward 200-300 years and it all repeats.

You're not supposed to call it that anymore, because somebody invented some agricultural innovations during that period, and that means everything was grand.

Mostly, because they thought they were the greatest, and any idea that came from the outside was stupid. Eventually, they didn't even want to let outsiders in because they were yucky barbarians. Meanwhile, in Europe, they were like look at all this cool shit these traders brought back. I want to be cool too.

>A "Spartan", eh? So you can move faster than the eye can percieve, and punch through a solid oak gate?
>Well I can turn invisible by squatting ten feet away from you in broad daylight, and I have a min-maxed dagger that does a trillion damage per stab.
>And once I'm done with you I'm going to go fill the bridge of your magic flying machine with cheese wheels.
>Because I can.

chances are the visitorc from space are on that planet BECAUSE of that guy, too.

Killing dragons eventually gets boring, after all and alien invasion is a good way to spice things up.

I've read one line of argument that one of the major factors in limiting weapons technology development in China after their development of land/naval mines, cannons, and flamethrowers was the Confucian system of limiting weapons technology and warfare to traditional methods.
>Soul of the Sword, by Robert L. O'Connell
I fully admit that I don't know the rep of the author very well. His background seems to imply that he's legit.

>Europeans got so powerful was because they were constantly inventing new things to kill each other

This is a historic fallacy.

Europe's rise to global prominence has more to do with subtle aspects of western civilization which foster cooperation and innovation than it does with military competition. The concept of the corporation is built on top of the Roman ideal of the Rule of Law, and it was the rise of the corporation which helped drive the Age fo Exploration. Greek philosophy's emphasis on reason and evidence based thinking is an obvious example of thinking which lead to innovation, and the Christian concept of continuous revelation also played a major role.

People have been slaughtering each other all over the world through all of history. What made Europeans more effective was that they got better at cooperating with each other and worked to constantly improve their understanding of the world.

So essentially the plot from any of the Star Ocean games.

Lucky bastards.

On top of that, several of the UNSC weapons (namely the SMG) use caseless ammunition, which is just something you probably can't just make unlike conventional rounds.

Of course it's also possible if the UNSC soldiers crashed WITH their ship, they'd have an extensive supply of ammo. Not to mention that UNSC ships could have facilities for making ammunition.

Of course, they couldn't Rambo it up but if they could find the right ingredients I think they could keep enough people armed to not be overrun.

>Of course, they couldn't Rambo it up but if they could find the right ingredients I think they could keep enough people armed to not be overrun.

That's assuming the entire fantasy world would just go full fucking serbia on them.

Most likely the appearance of strange people with interesting equipment would awaken interest. A particularly opportunistic faction leader would approach them and then shit will get political.

>Elder Scrolls Level Magic

As soon as they start causing serious trouble for the natives the local equivalent of the God-King Vivec will just cast an epic level spell from his palace a hundred miles away that turns them all into animals or drowns them all or just picks up their ship and throws it into space.

Elder Scrolls lore is banaynays, men with laser guns and self replicating nanomachines can't step to that shit.

And like in real life, most of that lore is nonsense fairytails, wizards wishing they could do more than shoot beams of fire for a few seconds.

Worse, they might be killed by time travelling robots from the future, because TES is actually a hindu sci-fi setting with a layer of fantasy polish on top.

That isn't, but Elder Scrolls magic being able to tear a man's soul out, turn invisible, use outright mind control, make your skin as hard as iron, slow time, and control the weather are.

>end up in buttfuck nowhere
>start trading your high tech shit for resources
>learn some of that crazy magic
>every nearby civilisation gets a tech boost
>you now have magic soliders
what always gets me about "racial" divisions, in a lot of games it's somehow a completely alien concept that people would trade/steal secrets from other groups and reverse engineer shit into cheap copies

The meteor formerly suspended over Vivec city would like a word with you.

or Stargate but depending on the episode/world
after all, "any sufficiently analyzed magic is undistinguishable from science"

Use stealth archery

It crashed.

Centuries after Mehrunes Dagon threw it, and only because the events of Morrowind eventually took away Vivec's power.
Even the sorcerer poet-king of the mysterious dark elves couldn't keep it up forever.

>TES is actually a hindu sci-fi setting with a layer of fantasy
Source?

>after Mehrunes Dagon threw it
lolnope, try again

It's all over the deeper layers of TES lore. CHIM is a part of it, as is mantling, and a lot more. I say Hindu, it's more like it's inspired by Hindu religious beliefs especially reincarnation and the universe being a god's dream.

Basically the TES universe is a dream dreamt by the godhead. Mantling involves walking in the footsteps of another person so closely that the Godhead gets the two of you confused, and then the two of you are one and the same.
CHIM involves waking up to the fact that you and everything else is a dream, and not immediately ceasing to exist. (The latter's the tricky part.) Once you do that you can manipulate the dream, the way Vivec and Tiber Septim could, to try to rewrite the world. (This is also tricky, though.)

Yeah, canonically the cause of Baar Dau's descent from Oblivion is unknown, with Sheogorath being a possibility, or just "it went all by itself", but I just know that Dagon must be the one who threw, it in retribution for the Tribunal kicking his ass, the petty fuck.

It's my headcanon and I'm sticking to it.

People who jerk off to mad max should really leave

Elephants aren't really that great for war, all things considered.

Mad Max doesn't even do that "anyone can make bullets in their back yard with common household supplies" meme bullshit.
You have to go to Bullet Town to get bullets, because they're the only ones in the region with the tools, resources, and know-how. It's their town's main industry. (Okay, so earlier films didn't mention where the bullets came from, but it didn't say everyone was making their own, either.)

>The amazon tribe

People with older tech might actually do better. Musket/blackpowder type stuff. More likely that someone on the crew might be able to make more with what is around.

Other than that, modern humans (modern military) would do great until the ammo ran out. Then we are fucked.

>Europe went to shit after Rome fell
Sorta.
Byzantium was still a thing, and the West was still developing, slowly, because advanced infrastructure was gone.

Okay, I don't remember them saying they made bullets, but I'll take your word for it. So there are two groups in the region who have the knowledge and tools to make bullets. (I doubt the amazons have decent resources anymore, but they're barely hanging on when we see them, not thriving and making tons of bullets.)

On the other hand, people stopped bathing because the Romans had done it and therefore it was bad. So the "dark ages" were dark in the sense of grimy at least.

not him but at least you can still agree that we would be fucked royally right?

nah, that came later, after the Black Death started being super OP.

Yeah, no doubt on that.

The public baths were denounced as sinful during the late Roman era. Bathing and hygiene took a nosedive when it fell. (Not that the Romans were all that great at it, the public baths were pretty funky, which only added to the belief that bathing was bad for you)

>Do you have all the components of cordite memorized? Do you know how to recognize the needed ores in the wild? How to mine + process them?

>not memorizing all the basic components of making ammunition, including all basic materials, and identifying them in the wild by sight, smell, touch, and taste as part of space basic training

Jesus fuck, son, you're lucky this army needs plasma cannon fodder.

Alot of the "magic" in Endless Legend was just lost/forgotten technology from the Endless that came before. The game is just as much science fiction as it is future fantasy.

I have the intro to a quest of this nature written up. It's basically a near-future underwater facility gets portaled to the shallow sea of a fantasy world, and can only scarcely make contact with Earth ala Stargate Atlantis.

It's going to focus mostly on the fantasy side but the circumstances on Earth are also important (especially because the MC, the facility's director, is a member of a shadowy international cabal).

yeah, speaking seriously about this, has nobody in the thread mentioned yet about how modern civilizations have overspecialization? if the fallen astronauts don't have McGyver riding with them then many of the things you guys are suggestion would be only wishful thinking

i didn't see Army of Darkness yet (one of these days, i promise) and someone mentioned Mad Max: Fury Road but didn't Max in 2 and 3 and Ash just bluff their way out of things because they ran out of bullets fast?

bull

shit

Bathing culture died as a thing during the renaissance, not the medieval times.

Well we wouldn't be talking about modern civilizations, though, would we? These are future space civilizations. So really it is entirely possible that in order to function in space, far away from repair shipyards, a lot of their tech enjoys simplifications and ability to work with various kludges and teams are taught accordingly. There's a lot of specialized rigors in dealing with space. Grunts would need need to know how to patch hulls, fix O2 scrubbers, etc. Ideally modern militaries should be doing the same just to make it easier to operate in the field but a lot of military industrial corporate contract BS and greasing pork happy politicians palms gets in the way.

Whether any fantasy space civ would have the same, well, who can say. The future is a vaster unknown than space itself.

Obviously they're there to stir the world so they should spread their technology as best they can, starting with the basics like math and science. I estimate they'll go from medieval to early modern in about a century.

>the year 29XX
>not carrying your Acme Nanotech Based Bullet Farm™ with you everywhere
>"Feed It Matter! Watch Bullets Grow! WARNING: Do Not Feed Excrement Into In-Tray!"

And in case your Acme Nanotech Based Bullet Farm™ breaks down be sure to carry your acme Nanotech Based Acme Nanotech Based Bullet Farm™ Farm™ so you can grow a new one!

In case of grey goo scenario contact customer support, pray to religious deity of choice, and burn down infected planet.

India wasn't really an economic power house 2bh, they just happened to occupy the same landmass as myriad gold and gemstone deposits.

bump

Because GATE wasn't already shitty enough

This is certainly doable, though I'm not aware of any game system to play it (probably something in the 10,000+ GURPS modules or just ram two GURPS together and homebrew the gaps, which would work with any Franken-system or just pure homebrew all the way down).

Still it feels like the UNSC are a very bad fit for these circumstances given they already function like a weird technological hybrid/backsliding culture with advanced FTL, super cool AI to do most of their heavy thinking for them, yet primitive gas powered jeeps and slugthrowers.

Honestly it would be easy to set up a story for how it could work. I suppose UNSC would work as long as their ship is fun but the FTL and comms are hopelessly fucked. Assuming the ship is fine they have their own readymade fortified "castle" with machine shops and their AI to help them keep their shit functioning and build a proper support base.

Depends on if you'd want a resource hunt heavy/base building campaign. If you didn't you could cut the resource crap and simplify the rules a lot. Use plenty of pure cheese. Weapons are the equivalent to lasguns or the currently popular hardlight "bullet" crap. Guns have 10,000 year battery life but deplete fast and have to recharge by sciencevoodoomagic. Same with advanced armors and vehicles. We're talking Informercial style bullshit, "This gun will fire a hundred energy pulses before needing a recharge cycle! You can use it to burn holes in 100 noobs and and by the time you're done tea bagging the last corpse, bam, you're good to go! These babies come in sleek, sexy casings that can take a real beating. I can land my Crusader-Class battlecruiser on it and look, not a scratch! Drop it in the toilet, the local star, or even a black hole and it just keeps working, guaranteed or your money back!"

Just because someone fucks up the execution doesn't mean the whole idea is worthless. Though I'm not sold on OP choose of faction.

If you really wanted to cheese it up you could have them basically the equivalent. Enchanted armor and weapons versus bullets and force fields. Dragons versus space fighters. Magic versus psionics or other sci-fi BS.

That last one, yeah, I can see running it where the advanced faction's equivalent magic users are people with mind powers, genetic augmentations, cybernetic wackery, or the ever popular nanomachines. You could get pretty wacky with this.

who would you choose

Depends. What kind of story are you looking for? OP was pretty light on details.

You could always do Starfleet. It's short on tacticool but even shuttlecraft tend to have replicators and odds are you'll have Not-Data and Not-Geordi to jury rig solutions to keep tech running using local resources or other gimmicky bullshite.

You could probably do Star Wars but that's already sitting comfortably in the realm of fantasy rather than scifi.

Really you could do a whole bunch of different known groups but it all depends on what resources they have, what tech still works.

We've got close combat training, but it'll only be so useful.

Main reason this premise is kinda dumb is it depends on too many unknown variables. If they're landing in a place with high magic, are they capable of learning it? Where do they land? Are there hostiles or friendlies?

Going off of TES, they could probably adapt pretty easily, depending on their landing point. Most folks would probably be like, "Ah, the Elder Scrolls work in mysterious ways. Here's a quest to kill a sentient turnip." Their soldiers. It's not like they can't gather information, learn local traditions, master new weaponry, and function normally. The bigger issue would be adapting to new diseases.

There was the fact that earlier, India used up some of it's iron deposits meaning they lost the means to produce steel.

well the infinity does all that, its a mobile spartan factory. they mine meteors for materials as they go to make things.

I assume is the infinity makes shit like Mjölnir armor on the go that other ships can do the same with something as low tech as a bullet.

Feels like the fun of such a setting would be avoiding making the advanced culture "go native" because then it's just a fish out of water story until they adapt and learn how to effectively downgrade.

It's totally a personal preference but I prefer functional equivalency where despite the obvious disparity in technology they are more or less on equal footing thanks to magic. Finding ways of keeping their relative distinctiveness while making them deal with each other, either peacefully or otherwise. There's still plenty of room for smaller scale "going native" sessions, which is presumably the advanced culture getting their Captain Kirk on with the natives.

If I had to articulate it the reason why going native sucks is it removes a lot of the initial uniqueness of the setting.

Doesn't Elder Scrolls have magic based high technology? They could just get a magic spaceship and go home.

>evil empire
Stormcloak detected, stop believing Thalmor lies.

>magic spaceship
Not quite THAT advanced, are they?

Something like that would require the Marines to have full access to the full scope of their tech, though. If they've only got what was on the ship, they're not equivalent. Hell, depending on how "high" your magic, a single caster would be capable of murdering them all, which is likely in TES, since they like to hang out at night having atronach fights.

Voidships aren't exactly spaceships, since Oblivion isn't exactly space. But even so, they're close enough.

Pic related, an Imperial moth ship, part of an expedition that tried to create a colony on Masser.

>not one male in the fantasy species
This is porn, right?

If we're talking about UNSC they typically have their own capacity to wage war using the resources in their ship. They need to service their own ground and space vehicles. They'll need machine shops, why wouldn't their armory have the capacity to make their own ammunition? Especially when their firepower is pretty damn mundane despite their most advanced tech. They field their own science and tactical teams.

They should be fine as long as they have time to locate local resources to replace what they're using.

As for the "single caster" that's actually pretty damn laughable since their casters, single and otherwise, go down to standard warriors. Would they be a threat? Sure, but they wouldn't be nigh unstoppable gods with the marines shitting themselves and wishing they had bows and arrows to properly fuck up the magic user.

You should really move on from your pseudoscientific "meh, it sounds good" understanding of history.

>he hasn't read Lord Vivec's Sword-Meeting With Cyrus the Restless

At the high end the power levels in the wider TES universe are off the scale. This is a world where the Redguard figured out how to cut atoms with a sword, and literally nuked their homeland by accident.
The games don't generally get that across, though -- the Thu'um was a big deal before it shrunk down to fit into Skyrim, for instance.

Accidentally blowing up your own homeland doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their capabilities, no.

Depends on where you're sourcing your fluff, and it should be noted that the OP was magic LIKE Elder Scrolls. The games fail to get the power levels across? Okay. But the games sure as hell don't show ever single caster being on par with the wankiest of their characters. If we're playing that game then the UNSC side will just field Master Chief and then it won't matter how powerful the opponent he will find a way to kill and tea bag it.

Europe turned from investigating stuff willy nilly to having an actual methodology for figuring shit out, that and religion loosened its grip on what could possibly be true or not.

You're talking about one of the "Three-Immortal God Kings" (albeit the shitty kind of immortal that still leaves you capable of being murdered). People who literally ascend to godhood aren't the high end of power levels, they're the extreme tier that gets moved to a separate, exclusive part of the club with much better drinks. To put it into perspective "high end" would be the kind of first class only the top level mundane sorcerers reach. Vivec, however, is one of those snazzy fuckers with his own private jet with stripper poles. Fucker would own his own airports. (albeit he did get downgraded in the Dunmer religion after he vanished, though he's possibly also dead)

If you're just going to drop a effective godlike being on them that's kind of boring. As boring as if someone said that the Flood would just consume everyone on every available plane with the Gravemind utilizing the knowledge of all the casters it devoured to become the strongest god in TES.

For the idea that the PC might have CHIM, I'd say that like many things in the TES games, it would be possible in theory, but not canonical for such to be the case; much like how the Dragonborne is canonically a male nord, even though it's possible to be an altmer dragonborne in-game, or how TES:O never actually happened beyond a hugely contrived "what if" scenario.

I have this image saved for occasions like this

Mostly because Europe was extremely fractured even on the local level so they always sought more efficient ways to kill/defend/feed each other.

When it comes to the gene that causes aggression in males, European Caucasians take the top among all humans.

Basically Europe was always a big meatgrinder that produced advancement.

Master Chief easily beats the city guards and legionaries, but lasts until he goes up against someone who casts Storm Thrall and blows him away.

Halo: Finishing the Fight is a Halo/Forgotten Realms crossover story.

Read
this

Working on a setting with a similar idea, though I don't have any real plans for it aside from art and maybe some stories.

Humans have introduced dogs to this new fantasy realm. Elves are terrified.
>tfw human soldiers bully elves by telling elves they can scare away dogs by waving bones at them.

The first telepathic teleporting wizard (or cabal of mindflayers) who wants a nuclear flying skycastle seizes control of the vessel's command staff and abuses their power for a couple years of chaos, intrigue and tyranny.

They are eventually overthrown by an alliance of plucky heros from both magical society and the warship including such character tropes as the:

Bullet Bitch (hardline officer gurl who don't need no man)
Noble Fop (romantic fencer poet, wants to woo bullet bitch)
Big Dude (cyberneticly enhanced supersolider, played by Vin Diesel, initially following false orders from compromised command staff.)
Knight Loyal (overdramatic elder knight of linage, gets a bro moment with Big dude on warrior virtues)
Techie Gurl (nerdy engineer or communication corps who plays romantic interest to)
Prince Unknowing (from a minor kingdom previously demolished by 'The Evil Circle', has a magical weapon)

With appearances from characters such as Elderly Beard Wizard( and his goofy magical sidekick), Pair of Mercantile Goblins, Drunken Discharge Starfighter Pilot gone native, Sexy Dark Elf Ninja who is placated by chocolate MREs, Klepto-Kobold tribe who live in a downed shuttlecraft and many other wonderous characters.

God dammit... I'd watch

Nader Shah fucked the Mughal Empire sideways.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nader_Shah#Invasion_of_the_Mughal_Empire

Fund it. At once.