Crusader Quest: Deus Vult

previous threads: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=crusader quest
Thread 5 didn't archive fully: archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/34542810/#q34542810
Twitter: twitter.com/KoblOf
pastebins: pastebin.com/u/Joggibear
army sheet: pastebin.com/VzbLdkUr
holdings: pastebin.com/m33m5nZ5

The war camp of Melisende of Jerusalem. The Saracen fortress of Ascalon. Two forces locked in deadly combat as winter begins an early arrival, a constant chill creeping across the land, the sky threatening a light snow. Christian warriors shiver as they go on foot patrol, huddle around fires, complain bitterly to one another about the siege, about the Muslim defenders who are no doubt warm in their homes, in the Ascalon keep.

Eastern Romans now march through the camp, a disciplined troop with high airs that fray the nerves of the Western soldiery. All the Latins know the Greeks hold themselves to be a superior people, noses high as if they're sniffing god's arse, some joke. The peace is kept by the discipline of their lords, but animosity is shared between them.

Camps have been split, a body of troops sent south to relieve the troops in Gaza. The Romans barely make up their numbers. Through day and night men have been drafted into cutting long tunnels through the rocky soil, building a mine that would soon reach under the walls of Ascalon, dark, tough work that no man wants but many are volunteered for.

Soon the final assault will be at hand, with it the collapse of a section of wall, and through that gap would pour the savage might of Christendom.

You are

> Wilhelm
> Hugo
> Mathilde

> Hugo
Dane axe combat time.

> Mathilde

Lets get her confrontation with Elias over with so we can go chopping with Hugo

Glad to see you running HF.

> Mathilde

> Wilhelm

> Wilhelm

> Wilhelm

> Mathilde

Rolled 1 (1d2)

Fuck it I'm just going to flip a coin

1 Mathilde
2 Wilhelm

> Mathilde

Give me ten minutes, something just came up.

>Wilhelm

Had a look at those guys you linked to. Kinda wanted to comission something for CQ but i just dont have that kind of money.

You are Mathilde, and last night you had done something rather foolish. You had kissed your brother, and you cannot say you regretted it, you'd had a mind to do more than just kiss him. Either you were wicked, mad, or both, but mostly you were tired. Tired of every corner of life telling you how to live, how to act, whom to love. Whether it was your elder brother, your queen, or the Church, every avenue of life had made demands, and all of them seemed obsessed with how you used your sex.

It had been a moment of mad spun rebellion that Hugo had declined, perhaps for the best. He had been gentle and chivalrous in his refusal, when was he anything but gentle and chivalrous? They said in battle he became like a wild animal, but you could not picture his mild, boyish face transfixed by rage. And to make matters worse he had slept beside your bed, a guardian in the night.

His good nature made you feel all the more wretched.

In the morning you bathed your bruised face as you bid him good day. You both had duties to return to, and you were both determined to forget your wicked lapse. What good could come from remembering it? It all seemed a laugh now, a funny joke. You considered the bruised flesh around your eye and wondered what Elias would think.

Would the man even care? Hugo had said he was only using you, another game piece in his rivalry with your brother, Wilhelm. Not that Wilhelm thought of you much better. Your brother was a horse trader, and in this you were the horse. It seemed he was determined to trade you to the Bures family, the scion of which had battered you in a jealous rage.

You dressed for the day, armoured yourself in perfume and a smile, then left your tent.

Bayard still dozed in his chair outside the tent. Since the incident with Elinard he slept no where else. Outside your brother Hugo, Bayard was the man you trusted most. His scarred face and missing eye a testament to his faithfulness, lost fighting by your side.

You awoke him with a poke to his ribs and he sat up with a snort, reaching for his hilt.

"That could have been a Saracen dagger," you said with gentle jibing, your deadly finger raised before his eye. Dawn was cracking over the horizon.

"Well then I'm glad it was just a maid's finger," he said, smacking his lips through a yawn. He looked you up and down like he could see the numbness you felt in your soul. "Is all well with you?" he asked.

"Whatever do you mean?" you replied, absently stroking your hair. He didn't carry the conversation past a suspicious grunt. You looked to the queen's camp. Men were going to bed as others arose, the night watch retiring for the commotion of the day. Pots of night filth were being ported to the boundary your brother had marked, far from the camp, while food was starting to be prepared over fires. A wind cut through, cut through your cloth and bone raising a shiver. It was getting colder every day. Bayard raised a hard sniff.

"Go eat something," you said, "Something warm, you look on the edge of sickness."

"Yes mother," he grumbled, climbing from his chair.

What were you to do? You felt a little lost in the cold morning light.

> go attend the queen
> find your brother Wilhelm
> go see someone else (nominate)
> write-in

That's cool. I love the guys and just want to see them get some work, some bills paid, but if they're outside your budget don't stress.

Either go see Elias or the Queen.

> go attend the queen

I would say Elias but otherwise go see the queen

> go attend the queen

So Mathildes going to crack the shits at Elias right?

I would say Ice Queen mode on him.

Considering her lack of control is say it makes more sense for her to be a little more passionate about how he's hurt her

The Queen was in her tent, dressing for the day. First she brushed out her long, golden hair, from which you and another attendant weaved into a matching pair of braids that draped down her back. She picked out a dress of blue silk, sleeves of white, a collar of gold. Red moleskin slippers upon her feet, fine jewelry across her chest, upon her ears. Precious jewels set in silver, rubies and sapphires, but nothing extravagant. Enough just to impress with her station.

In many ways you admired the Queen. She was possessed with a quiet dignity, showed no sign of hardship, her face a cool mask that broke only to share a jest or a gentle chide, it broke only to share a quiet warmth. Melisende sent away the other girls, keeping only you by her side in the tent. Breakfast would be brought to you soon, no doubt.

"I heard you had a midnight caller," she said. The look she gave you offered no judgement.

"My brother," you said, hoping that would be enough to put away all suspicion.

"Yes, I know," she said, "Your brother, and he is just your brother, correct?"

It was a fearful element to her question. The shiver you felt had nothing to do with the cold. "Yes, my lady," you said.

"My sister has unusual taste," Melisende said, "A taste that might cause scandal and, at worst, censure. I protect her as best I can, I only demand she be subtle. Do you understand?"

"I think I do, my lady," you said, "But you needn't fear peculiarities from me."

"Truly, you've no plans for a secret tryst with some handsome soldier?" she said, and her look was disbelieving, "If so, you are one of the few such women in this camp."

"If you say so," you did not feel an honourable sort, not after last night. But you wondered if her words carried some kind of personal confession of her own. Was she having secret trysts as well? Was she asking you to ask her?

> ask her
> say nothing

Why does my trip keep disappearing?

> ask her

>>Ask her

> ask her

Didnt she have Wilhelm visitng at late hours as well ?

> ask her

I could have sworn Mathilde knew about her tryst with Wilhelm, anyway keep it vague and in a code of sorts in case the walls have ears and eyes

> ask her

She actually doesnt. Only ones who knows were probably Theodore, Hugo and Wilhelm and Hod.

> ask her

Subtly spies are a thing

Huh I could have sworn the affair was post Zoe, guess I was wrong

It was. But she was left in the dark. Hugo on the other hand was sleeping in the room right next door.

"Do you plan a secret tryst my lady?" you asked, a girlish sense of gossip taking over your voice.

She smiled, a finger tracing her bottom lip. "Oh, how can I answer that without seeming wicked or make myself a liar?" she said, "Let us say I've seen a handsome man around, and my bed has been feeling awfully cold these last few nights."

"But you have a husband," you said, though you could not hide some delight.

"A husband who is very far away, and was never much fun for cold nights to begin with," you were shocked, and amused to see her speak so candidly. She looked you up and down with a scrutinizing eye. "You cannot say you have not looked at some of the men in the camp and entertained a thought. A girl your age, your body alone is yearning least of all your heart."

That spoke truer than you'd like to admit, and left a less than pleasant squeeze in your belly.

> you tell me and I'll tell you
> say nothing
> write-in

Secrets!

Well she did have Elias. Could mention that, keyword being "did" things has changed and we should probably not mention Hugo.

Sorry if my posting is a bit lacklustre today.

> say nothing
Secrets are power

> say nothing

Don't worry bout it, as long you're running I'm happy enough

>Mathildes only friends are a heathen, an Irish whore and a queen of uncertain values

Best friends.

terrible friends

I can't wait for Chiri to teach Mathilde how to make moon tea and poison

I dont think she knows any of that kind of thing. She is not an assassin.

Don't forget the one eyed bodyguard

"You first," you said, hand falling on her arm in a moment of sudden glee. She smiled for your enthusiasm.

"Where to start?" she said, "I must confess that big Scandinavian in Lord Sidon's employ has followed me into my dreams. I have a taste for tall, powerful men." What woman doesn't, you wondered. Maybe some Saracen types. "And there's a red haired soldier following Prince Manuel the other day, but you can never tell with Romans whether their taste is for women or for boys. Manuel himself is a fair if slender figure. But of course I could never."

"Of course, of course," you agreed.

"Your brothers are both handsome men," she gave you a sly eye and you blushed, "And I've never met such an entirely attractive company. I say, I understand my sister a little better after catching a glance of that slave your brother keeps. There's a young knight in that company too, a German lad. A little grim in manner, but handsome." Did she mean Daniel? You corrected your internal thought, they knew him as Hector. You must confess you had felt some tender feelings for him not long ago, feelings that still flushed up from time to time.

"Well, my brothers are handsome," you said, it was an objective fact irrespective of the night past and your bout of silliness.

"Too handsome, almost," Melisende said that last with a subtle bitterness. That surprised you enough you quirked your head to the side.

> tell her your own interest (be honest)
> tell her your own interest (lie)
> say nothing, pocket the information
> write-in

She's a well read slave with an Idetic memory and passion for both stories and knowledge it would surprise me if she didn't at least have some knowledge of these things

Something for something. Also her name is Chihirizad.

Let's be nice to the queen

>btell her your own interest (be honest

I think she is just happy to have someone to gossip with

And also. Our brothers?

>> write-in

Mention Hector since he was basically our first crush of course leave out his Jewish ancestry, Elias as the more attractive of our marriage options

Ask in on that bitterness. Has our brothers displeased her somehowl

>Queen will never have Wilhelm for herself.

Mention Wilhelm seem to like her very much.

At least she'll always have Ramla

Maybe Mathilde should mention that she doesn't know what he sees in Iovetta?

True. Well atleast compared to the queen.

>every character is obsessed with sex
getting kinda annoying desu

Compared to anything EVER!

>a bunch of empowered teenagers, kids and young adults in a dangerous situation are gonna be prude

The Koblenz are litreally all teenagers it would make less sense if they weren't

"That handsome knight is called Hector of Saxony," you said, "And he is a handsome man, very brave, very faithful. I must confess I may have peeked once watching him bathe in a river." She wore a delighted smile. "And there's the big soldier, Tancred, older as he is. Does that count as peculiar? He's tall, strong, red hair."

"Fatherly?" Melisende suggested, and you rolled your eyes.

"Do you like red hair?" you asked. It only drew a shrug from Melisende, she could take or leave it. You felt you were developing an attraction to red hair. First Tancred, then Elias. Elias had red hair. "Would you be shocked if I confessed some feeling for your son-in-law?"

Melisende raised a brow. "Elias is a handsome man," she said, "And charming too, when he wants to be. I would not say I'm surprised."

"You don't like him," you said, with maybe a little accusation. For all your troubled feelings toward him, still you felt defensive in your thoughts.

"I like him well enough when he behaves himself," she said, "The problem is he rarely behaves."

"Maybe the right woman could rein him in," you said.

Melisende gave you an indulgent grin, "Mayhap," she said.

"You know Wilhelm likes you a great deal," you said.

"Oh, I know how well he likes me," she said, and her fingers crossed her belly when she did. Had she...? You'd heard a whisper once that they had become 'too close', but you did not think it had become improper. "Oh we did," she read your face well, "And I can't say I regretted it. Your brother has a skill for more than just oratory." You couldn't contain your blush, and squeezed your hands over your face.

"I did not need to know that," you said, but with a devilish glee.

Melisende rose from her chair, drawing on the mantle the Italians had gifted her. "I've enjoyed this," she said, drawing a braid over her shoulder, "But now duty returns, perhaps later in the evening we can keep talking, over wine." She drew open the tent flap, stepping out into the chilly air.

You followed a step behind. The camp had fully awoken, the smell of cooking bacon reached your nostrils, stirring your hunger. The sound of men arising reached you, the constant buzz and activity of the war camp coming to life. Soldiers saluted their queen as she strode past.

"I am to meet Prince Manuel and confer on a matter of state, and on unruly family," she said, "You may accompany me if you wish, or have the day for yourself. The choice is yours."

You guessed the issue was Antioch, or the dire news out of Edessa.

> accompany the queen
> see to your own business

Deal with Elias or gain political knowledge. I'd rather get it over with so we can scale the walls in this thread. So i am fine with either or.

> accompany the queen
Fuck Elias it's time to learn politics

> accompany the queen

Haha! To civilise ourselves!

>> accompany the queen
I don't see any reason why Mathilde wouldn't come along.

Go with the queen

> accompany the queen

Considering the enormity of how our fortunes could shift on those walls I'd say we'd have to play Wil to see that happen and that will happen Regardless of If Elias is resolved or not

Chiri is best

I'm happy to see that Eliasfags are finally gone

>Idetic memory
>Photographic memory
>dem curves
>litreally okay with everything save being forced to convert

Truly a best

Last thread was truly cancerous I look forward to no longer having to put up with the blind hatred

>makes the queen question her sexuality

Makes you wonder what Hod could have accomplished as she not related by blood

You accompany the queen to the Roman camp.

Where your own people were a cacophony of competing livery, self-brought arms and disparate personal retinue, the Roman camp was far different. Every man marched with matching uniform and weapon, even the pages and squires were armed for war, the servants walked with long knives. You couldn't easily tell rank except perhaps in the finer wrought armour of one man compared to another. Most of the Romans sported neat little beads or were clean shaven altogether, despite their uniformity in dress you saw men that looked like Northern Germans talk with men that looked as dark as Turks. Few deigned to turn attention to you, though some had hungry eyes for the queen.

A handsome red haired soldier stood guard outside an ornate purple tent. He wore a short sword at his hip, a harness of metal across his chest, sleeves of maille. His red hair fell in curls around his strong face. You think this was the handsome Roman your queen had mentioned earlier.

"Your highness," he said with a clap to his heart, "My prince awaits you."

"My thanks, Miles," she said. He held the tent flap open for both of you.

Two soldiers kept the prince company, and the prince himself was dressed as a soldier. He was a slender man, about the age of Wilhelm. He wore a neat little dark beard and wore a plain soldier's harness, soldier's boots, but wore a purple scarf around his throat.

"Your majesty," he said, taking Melisende's hand and kissing it.

"Your highness," she replied with a polite curtsy.

He turned his eyes to you and his smile was rich and warm. "You bring a friend," he said, "This must be the famous Mathilde. I've had the good pleasure to meet your brothers."

"Famous, sir?" you said as he kissed your hand.

"Famously beautiful," he said, "But more famously fierce. Is it true you took up arms in defense of your queen, and earlier still to defend your brother's home?"

"It is," you said.

"Frankish women," he said over his shoulder, "This is why I love them." He offered you both a seat. "Alexius, the wine," he said to a soldier with a facial scar. He set cups, filled them, then stepped back. "We have much to talk about," Manuel said, "Zengi has struck at Edessa. My guess is he knew your forces would be south, and took the opportunity. Last reports say your Joscelin is holding firm, but he is outmatched. My father says he can help..."

"For a price," Melisende said, "My realm is not a rich one, you know this."

"That I do, though it is growing," Manuel took a sip, "You've a problem in Antioch as well. A rebellious priest, and a scheming pair in power. They say they are refusing to recognise your authority until their daughter is returned. They've asked my brother to intervene on their behalf."

"Constance stays with me," she said, firmly.

"This is not a good situation to be so stubborn. Edessa falls without my father, and Antioch could be the next place you march your army."

"What does your father want?" Melisende asked, "Please, have it be something I can give."

Manuel shrugged. "My brother wants you to submit to Imperial authority, swear yourself as a vassal to his majesty. Harsh terms."

"Impossible terms," Melisende said, and Manuel seemed to agree.

"There's other options," Manuel said, "Cede Edessa to my father and we will help you rein in Antioch. You know Edessa cannot be protected by Jerusalem alone. And perhaps a marriage can be arranged in turn, you have a son and a daughter. My father does not lack for children, or grandchildren."

"And a niece," she said, "I am not stupid Manuel. You mean to take Edessa by arms and Antioch by marriage. You say my realm is growing, yet you'd cut it in half." Melisende looked angry, but for all her harsh words her voice did not rise.

"That is one way to see it," Manuel said, "But ask yourself, do you really have a choice? My plan is better than my brother's. It spares you humiliation, and closer ties between our people cannot be a bad thing." Manuel's face was warm with sympathy, his companions however had expressions like rock.

"I have fought hard to keep my throne, I'll not give it away the second things look dire. Fortunes change." Your queen seemed confident, but you'd come to know her well, and saw uncertainty in her gaze.

"Not always for the better," Manuel said, and then his dark eyes turned to you, "What do you think, my lady?"

The faces of the tent turned to you, your queen, the prince, his soldierly companions. You did not know where to look.

> support the queen
> support Manuel
> write-in

Ah fuck.

HF. I think we'll need a minute to confer on this.

Didn't Solomon lead a force in support to hold off against Zengi? is the situation that dire that the reinforcements won't be of any use?

Solomon went to Egypt, not north.

> support the queen

Solomon went south to hold off an Egyptian relief force.

Ah, my bad.

HF, can we get any information on how the garrison at Edessa is doing and how large a force is being brought to bear?

Manuel has met us hasn't he? Why does he act like he just saw us

Send Fulk to the Edessa with what men that can be spared that isnt on campaign.

Damascus is a enemy of Zengi and a friend of Jerusalem. Send a message with a small gift to ask him to march his army north, he does not need to attack just make it look like he does. It would give Zengi second thoughts heck, he may just rightout cancel it.

However do agree with marriage between Prince Baldwin and the imperial Princess (like in history). Try to squeeze out some support from Manuel that doesnt make her sell out her kingdom.

Have a scribe write to Antioch to provide assistance to Edessa and have it signed by Constance. It may be a long shot but it move Alice to see her daughters signature on such an order.

>write-in
Manuel ignores the impact the fall of a crusader state would have on Christianity, if the pope saw fit to call a crusade it could hardly be called said to be without reason

A dead patriarch would be a fine gift, I'm fairly certain he is the power that be at Antioch not poiters

Support Manuel, I don't like the Romans but Jerusalem is doomed without their support. Try to make it not as humiliating as possible, marry Baldwin but keep Constance with us

I like this guy's ideas.

This would also be good to through in.

>> support Manuel
He has the upper hand there's no getting out of this

Go with this

these two combine well, if we could frame it so that Edessa fell in the defense of Jerusalem it would sway even the most cynical christian to arms and having Damascus aid in countering any gains Zengi could make is a start, however Antioch is unlikely to act considering Alice is little more than a trophy wife now that she is married to Poiters so unless the Patriarch is deposed through death or other means and Poiters poistion is weakened I can't see much help coming from them

tldr: tentative support for Manuel but source other ideas before actual agreeing

Fucking Manuel acting like he never met us before nigger we talked to you when you suggested helping Wil

>Fucking Manuel acting like he never met us before nigger we talked to you when you suggested helping Wil
That's my bad. I'm thinking about building a relationship tree or something to keep track of everything

Pretty much, if Edessa falls so will Jerusalem and with us the empire. Unless Belisarius returns from the dead.

This

oh hey Wil didn't see you there

I figured as much

Not really, it's fucking Baldwin's fault for attacking Damascus instead of Edessa in the second crusade. The crusader states lost a great ally and Edessa was never recovered, so yes blame it all on Baldwin

so basically

>send Fulk north to aid Edessa
>Deus vult aid from the pope
>Gift to Damascus in return for aid
>Frame Edessa as the brave and noble protector of Jerusalem while it falls
>Baldwin marriage y/n?
>Constance stays unmarried so far
>Petition aid from antioch
>try and figure an angle that will remove the Patriarch from power