EDH/Commander general

OH GOD THE BUGS edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface. (Outdated)
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-08-16-salty-sultai/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/maziwreck-the-directors-cut/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for best incest

I sort of want to build with that guy but I have never built anything Golgari before

Third for post 'em

Buy the Meren Pre-Con.

Literally all you need to do, it's a fucking amazing EDH deck on it's own. Eldrazi monument isn't really a fit in the deck but it does some solid work, other than that the rest of it all works together.

Until your opponent drops Anafenza.

Renamed my newest brew.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-08-16-salty-sultai/

You need some red in your life.

I was thinking of Crypt, but Vault honestly isn't that scary either.

I know. Always wanted to build a monored burn/chaotic deck, but I dont know a good commander for it. Any tips?

Meren is cancer.
Fantastic cancer, but cancer none the less.

Unless your opponent has dedicated graveyard hate, she warps the game horrifically.

>all that green and black
Yeah you do need some red. Build yourself a Hidetsugu deck and destroy everyone

My friend has that deck that he modified slightly

I had my eye on Skullbriar but he seems very linear, Golgari strikes me as more of a toolbox color combo, there's also not a ton of grave hate in my group

I haven't done much research in mono red myself but the new Grenzo from CN2 seems to be pretty fun in like a go wide/sneak past-and-cast-your-shit kind of deck.

Build a Heartless Fuck Everyone Burn Down the World deck.

It's not about being scary, it's about signaling. Vault is basically a one-turn mana boost, which you wouldn't really play unless you have one explosive turn you want to make, which suggests that you're playing combo. There's just tons of better mana rocks if you want to get ahead on the board permanently.

I guess it depends on the playgroup, then.

Guy looks great, think I found my commander. What are cards that are good on that kind of deck?

Absolutely. My favorite time playing the deck was against a guy who's been playing since 8th edition (I got a sealed 8th Edition Elvish Champion Promo from him that had been stuck in a box since he won it, for 2$, he's a great guy). He likes to play some horrifically excellent decks (he owns a LOT of amazing cards, I have to pick which rares I want each fortnight with my measly pay). I have the precon with a Birthing Pod and removed some of the ramp to play in another deck. I used my Korozda Guildmage and Wall of Blossoms for about 4 turns in a row, constantly drawing cards and gaining 1/1 saplings to use as blockers. Eventually I played a Birthing Pod, sacc'd something 6 drop to go for a 7 drop, dropped Butcher of Malakir and managed to get Creature Ob Nix onto the board just after. He was playing Derevi Voltron. His only hope at this stage was commander damage. He tapped down ob nix, so I blocked with Butcher. Butcher died, he had to sac derevi. I don't remember exactly how, but I won through clever use of Meren's graveyard shenanigans, Ob Nix flying at him, saccing him after combat and bringing him back so I didn't take lethal commander damage.

I played Giant Growth and Become Immense, swung, and used Jarad Golgari Lich Lord to essentially do double strike damage to win the game with Ob Nix.

Meren is some spectacular fucking cancer. Eternal Witness is absolute hot filth to play with Meren, getting a Doomblade or Putrefy back every turn is not a fun game of magic.

Of course. If the deck is already established as just big and durdly, then no one is going to mind that Mana Vault sitting there so you can cast your big dumb Eldrazi and take the next turn off to untap Vault. But as said, there's better ways to ramp.

Or make everyone blow each other up. I'm going to run him in Alesha, I get the feeling he'd be magnificent with a Behind the Scenes on your field

I like to throw it down early and then leave it up for whenever. Maybe I should cut it.

Equipment Lifegain (so Hidetsugu doesn't kill you), Damage doublers, some spot burn and control, so you can clean house.

Whoa, wait, that works on planeswalkers, no?

Curious about the anafenza one. A friend of mine has a deck with her, but it's literally his first endeavour into MTG so it's not that great. Might be nice to compare.

Yes, it's a disgusting card that you should feel bad for playing.

t. Player who gets Ajani's Hex Parasite'd.

Damage doublers, haste enablers, ways to get yourself at an odd numbered life total so you can smack the table and stay alive

Grafted Exoskeleton if you really want to reap the salt

Not sure about the lifegain, I just want to burn the field down.

With damage doublers, Hidetsugu kills you when he goes off unless you have an odd number of life.

Damage doublers like Fire servant and....?

Ah, I see. So just bring me to an odd number and then burn down the rest.

Furnace of Rath, Dictate of Twin Gods, ect.

Hex Parasite ban when?

Yep. Even just Bolt or Gut Shot yourself to get down to an odd number, pop Hidetsugu and flash in Dictate while his ability is on the stack

Hopefully never. One of the few cards that can keep Daretti in check.

Help.
I need to cut one of these cards in my Gahiji token/aggro deck.

Which one?

To clarify, need to cut one of the top 4 for selvalas stampede.

Are the conspiracy 2 cards ever coming to mtgo? I'm too poorfag to build decks in paper and the scene is totally dead around here but I'd give a kidney to have recruiter of the guard in my odric deck.

Without seeing your complete deck list, I'd cut Green Sun before Chords. Especially if you are token-based.

>turning Zirilan into Feldon
>building Skullbriar and Alesha
>fine-tuning Godo into the best deck it can be

This hobby is too expensive, man

But it's too fun, I can't stop myself

Probably. Conspiracy 1 had all the non-draft-involved cards put into Vintage Masters for MODO; all those cards ARE Legacy and Vintage legal, so I can't imagine them NOT porting them.

Get meren, add in merciless executioner and fleshbag marauder, and you'll be set.

Meren is a great entry point to the format if you're new but want something mostly competitive. It's how I got in and I couldn't be more pleased.

Upgrades are also straight forward and mostly inexpensive.

I ended up having to tune my deck back down again fairly quickly despite the others in my playgroup being much more established than me. Having me lock out every game with Grave Pact and Sadistic Hypnotist, isn't much fun for everyone else, especially when I can recur Eternal Witness over and over to reuse all my non-creature answers or Sidisi/Rune-scarred Demon to tutor for the answers I haven't already used.

That or just combo Mikaeus the Unhallowed and Woodfall Primus to blow up all their lands and manarocks so they can't play anymore.

>open a Recruiter of the Guard last friday
>cool, something I can trade away nicely
>get back home
>realize how amazing it is in my Roon deck

I know that feel. I have about a dozen decks I want to build on top of the 5 I already have, and those could also use some tuning

I should probably strip some and combine them but I like variety

I pulled one and I'm deciding whether to trade it, or for it to serve as a second Imperial Recruiter in my deck.

It's the lands that are the real wallet killer for me.

My friend has an ashling the pilgrim deck that has a much burn, damage doublets and ways to to protect her as possible so he can set her off like a nuke

Yeah, I think I will build a Ashling deck instead of of Hidetsugu, because I dont like the idea of winning in just one round with the Hidetsugu/double combo. I want chaos on the board, not an instantwin.

If you want chaos, maybe new Grenzo is your man with his goading. Evasion in red is a bit tricky though.

That's why when I got seriously into EDH, the first priority of mine was to turn excess chaff and value cards I didn't need into the full set of shocks, duals, and fetches.

I could get by on a budget mana base because my meta is not super cutthroat, but the part of me that likes not going as slow as shit-coated molasses wants to get better lands and rocks. Especially for dual and tri-colored decks. I should probably sell off my draft fodder/chaff and start getting money together for it, but I have no idea where to sell those kind of cards in bulk. Would an LGS take that much booster chaff?

How many of you guys keep actual token cards for your decks instead of just using dice or pool beads?

I do. Realized yesterday that I don't have any 1/1 red goblin tokens, though. Guess I never drafted in a recent format that had those.

My advice is to use the grave recursion effect and Meren in general as a secondary plan. I focused her more on saccing my opponent's stuff and toolboxing for days.

Golgari are great colors for toolbox because you have access to excellent ramp, removal, big guys, utility creatures, sac outlets, card draw, etc. Meren is one of the better Golgari commanders because she makes everything recoverable and makes your threats reusable, which makes your entire toolbox more redundant.

I'd suggest her to people even if they don't want to buy the Meren precon. She's fun to build from scratch. You can even make her decently competitive for $50-60, which is a hell of a bargain. I've only put about $60 into her, and she works like a charm.

I do.

But then I only have 2 decks so far and they doesn't use anything unusual.

I know that feel. I'm hesitant to even attempt building a 3 color deck irl because fetches and good duals are out of my budget right now. I can get by in 2 color decks because the demand isn't as necessary, but I'd like to soup them up too. Being a college student on a budget sucks.

I usually keep at least one token for every token producer in my deck, and then I just put dice on it to show how many there are.

I collect tokens. Only one I don't have for my Athreos deck is Sorin, Solemn Visitor's vampire token

It's not even being poor. The price for fetches and good duals is simply unreasonable. I know, I know, it's basic supply and demand. But fuck me, I'm not gonna throw away so much of my cash for a bunch of cardboard. Especially since I also play videogames and visit the gym. I love playing Magic, but it's just not on the top of my priority list.

I wholeheartedly agree, as a student, my budget isn't that terrible because I have a job, but duals and fetches are completely unreasonably priced. I wouldn't even consider buying them as they are.

Can you link me to your G&G deck? I don't like mine at present

I snatched up the Tarkir fetches just recently since they're basically as cheap now as they'll probably ever be, having just rotated out of Standard, the 10-15 dollar price point they're at right now at least doesn't make me wanna throw up when I hit 'Buy'.

The Zendikar fetches can get fucked though.

Enemy fetches are fucking disgustingly overpriced. Tarkir I can stomach, but paying $70+ for one(1!) Zendikar fetch is ludicrous. It really sucks too because a lot of my 2 color deck ideas are enemy colors.

I do! I look through my decks and see what tokens they can make, and then put 1-3 of each token the deck needs into the box with it. That way, when I pull my deck out I have all the tokens for that deck handy.

I also keep a pile of 'assorted' common tokens in another box for Planechase, or if someone else needs to 'borrow' one.

Honestly binned my idea for a Queen Marchesa deck because of that.

I'm really glad I grabbed my duals when I did.

Man, if I'd known the prices would rise THIS much, I would've bought into Legacy 8 years ago when Underground Seas were sub 200 dollars.

Shocks aren't out of my price range, and I actually have a couple duals from Khans and Fate drafts

OG Duals are disgusting though, holy shit

I don't have a big problem with shocks or pain lands, but OG duals really are terrible. I can understand why, but I still don't think it's okay. They'll never get reprinted though, so I just have to suck it up.

Shit, I just realised "Dont talk to me or my wife's scion ever again .png" Would've been a much better filename.

Also, hella hyped to start keeping pic related alongside my tokens.

Goddamn man I've posted this the past 3 threads.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/maziwreck-the-directors-cut/

Expect every card on the Reserved List to explode even more in price now that non-Magic playing investors are rushing in and buying up stock. Better get those Volrath's Strongholds while you can still afford them.

What the fuck is Wizards going to do? Just let eternal formats die because of a knee jerk decision they made in the game's infancy?

>tfw when so new you can only have one deck atm

I hope they do something about this and take it to court to abolish the list. Shkreli especially because he's just a massive scumbag who is doing it just because he can.

At this point, the general thinking is that they made a sort of 'contract' with their players when they established the List, so abolishing it would be a legal nightmare.

I hate the Reserved List, I really do. I would gladly watch the price of all my duals tank to like 20 dollars each if it meant that Legacy could thrive and everyone could build some 4 color EDH monstrosity on a reasonable budget. But I honestly think that if Wizards ever did repeal the Reserved List, it would be a harbinger of the death of the game. Not like "That would kill Magic", but like "They wouldn't break that seal unless magic was already circling the drain".

Has he actually started on buyouts like he said?

>it would be a harbinger of the death of the game
You think it would get that bad? As like a last-ditch effort to keep the eternal formats alive?

More as a cash grab. "We're repealing the Reserved List, and the next set has full-art reprints of all the original Dual Lands!"

Like, Expeditions and Buried Treasures were a 'cash grab' in the sense that they were a promotion designed to increase desire in purchasing packs, but even if I didn't like BFZ block it wasn't exactly selling like Homelands. Magic's in a pretty good place financially right now, and it doesn't look like that's changing anytime soon (which I am glad about! I like this game, and I want it to continue to... well, exist). But the actual repealing of the reserved list would probably (in my opinion, mind you) not happen until they had nothing to lose, and needed the draw of putting Duals and Library and Tabernacle into booster packs for people to clamor over.

They made a contract that they have broken in the past and nobody made a fuss over, so any attempt at legal repercussions would be laughed away.

I don't think that the promise of reserved list is actually legally binding

When did they break it? The 'foils don't count' thing was a loophole that they have since closed.

Lawyers could argue that it is, since it's stood for so long. I forget the legal term for it, but when an agreement between two parties like that stands for a certain amount of time, it can be considered legally binding

I know a lot of collectors who would sue wizards if their collection was reprinted. Put all those kind of people together and I'm sure they could cause wizards some trouble

>tfw not new at all but still only have one

Do you have a list for your Wydwen?

Yasova warrior tribal; excellent idea or stupidly excellent idea? I just want a semi-unique Yasova build thats budget.

It's not, but like said you could make the argument that it's been around for so long, it's now an actual agreement...
Except...

Because they changed it in the past, they could change it at any time and be entirely within their rights.
Heck, they could say that Storm Crow is the only thing on the Reserved List anymore and there isn't anything anyone could do about it. That's not to say they would do that (there is never a reason to reprint the power nine, for instance), but they could.

A functional reprint and a duel decks printing.

It isn't legally binding.

True, but if I recall correctly the only things they've done to 'change' it are taking a slew of commons/uncommons off of the list, and then closing the loophole that let them print 'premium' versions of the cards not in regular boosters (From the Vault, Judge Foils, etc)

Which were those?

The red copy spell that I forget the name of and Phyrexian Negator.

yes. But tappedout:s reset password services sucks ass so i can't post it now.

Phyrexian Negator wasn't a 'violation', it was within the old loophole that they closed. They'd used that loophole for Judge Foils before, and I think a card in one of the early From the Vaults.

The red copy spell is dangerously close; one could argue it's not a FUNCTIONAL reprint of Fork because it doesn't make it red, but they acknowledge that they got too close to the line with Reverberate.

And maybe tomorrow they will take everything Weatherlight and after off of it.

I'm just saying, the only change they made that took things OFF the list was much earlier in the lifespan, and very limited in scope. Taking off a huge wave of cards would probably be in the same boat as just abolishing the list altogether.

Yes, and either way there would be no legal repercussions for Wizards.

I'm not sure about that, considering MaRo has danced around "there would be legal repercussions if we did this" when discussing it in the past.

Are you a legal scholar?
On an anonymous forum on the internet?