Be me

> Be me
> Play 4e, but really unsatisfied with it. Feels too much like WoW, with it's mandatory magic items, not-spells for everyone and other shit.
> Don't want to play 3.5, because it's fucking boring and has a lot of the same problems.
> "user, come play Pathfinder with us! It fixed everything! They buffed fighter and monk, it's all great now!"
> Fall for the meme
> Join their party, get the player handbook, play a few sessions.
> It's literally all the same as 3.5.
> mfw

I just want to play a game that feels like fantasy, like Lord of the Rings, where my character can't jump to fucking heavens or fight spellcasting supersonic teleporting dragons as mooks. I want a bear or a squad of orcs to be a threat to me, and I want my rookie fighter armed with his late father's sword to be an actually viable character.

I've heard all the same things about 5e, but don't want to get burnt again. Is it better?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/ocyykpqvmawdyse/Burning Wheel - Gold Edition - Bookmarked OCR.pdf
mediafire.com/download/i9nnuh5py8po61c/Burning Wheel - Gold Edition - Bookmarked OCR(2).pdf
mediafire.com/download/03bfozl4dfcfonn/Burning Wheel - Gold Edition - Bookmarked OCR.pdf
sendspace.com/filegroup/HLhsI0AWr3NcqvtGdiUGqw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

> Be me
Well there was your first mistake.

5th is pretty much the same.

Play OSR games or WHFRP if you are interested in a low key, but playable game.

Alternatively, go riddle of steel or the burning wheel. They're harder to get into, but very enjoyable once you do.

I feel like Burning Wheel fits your criteria pretty well. Shame there's no pdf for it.

> I want a bear or a squad of orcs to be a threat to me, and I want my rookie fighter armed with his late father's sword to be an actually viable character.

user - just play WFRP2e
(Just don't get too attached to your characters)

I believe they just reprinted the Burning Wheel, as my local game store has just got in like 7 copies of it, all new. Might want to check out your local stores or online if you want to try it.

Legends of the Wulin has most of this, especially if you start a rank lower then default. Pretty much any enemy can be fatal (or cause you to change your ways- the damage system isn't just for physical wounds!) due to the way the system works, and people can do barely supernatural things. Does come with a very Eastern setting that you can't really switch out due to how the system uses XP.

>frogposting
>edition shitflinging

Guve it a rest, you fag.

Shame on me for responding to a frogpost, but

The One Ring
Rune Quest/Legend
Savage Worlds

3.5 is fucking boring as shit and Pathfinder is just some money grubbing dickheads attempt at "re-inventing" it but it's the same crap repackaged.

>> Play 4e, but really unsatisfied with it. Feels too much like WoW, with it's mandatory magic items, not-spells for everyone and other shit.

That was my reaction to it as well.

Have you tried:

>Symbaroum
>The One Ring
>Black Company d20
>Labyrinth Lord
>Torchbearer
>Lamentations of the Flame Princess

See the OSR thread for more stuff.

playing 5e in a low magic setting with variant rest rules (short rest = 8 hours, representing sleeping the night - long rest = 1 week, representing actually resting, recovering, tending to wounds, refocusing magical essences, etc.)

Been working out great so far and makes it an interesting challenge for everyone.

Shame on you for forcing that dumb meme and being a faggot.

OSR, yo.

You could try 13th Age. It's a more narratively-based cousin to DnD, and the abilities are less set in stone, though you will have to negotiate/cajole with the GM to ppint that wiggle room where you want.

Play OSR

Savage Worlds usually strikes the right power/threat ratio. You can wreck goblin faces, but there's always a chance of horrible death that makes playing smart the superior strategy.

I'd argue there's a wee bit of caster supremacy, but it's less of a problem when you use the No Power Points rule.

I'm so glad i got into wfrp 2e, magical items are really really rare and having them doesn't always guarantee a fight. In fact people and monsters who sense magic might even prioritize you since you have something valuable on you compared to the rest.

Having a best crafted weapon/armor feels like a damn luxury and even that can easily be broken and decently expensive.

Try the actual LoTR game? Think it's called the One Ring.

>user, come play Pathfinder with us! It fixed everything!

What are things that no one, including Pathfinder fans, have ever said for 300 Alex.

Play anything OSR-related (Labyrinth Lord, Basic or Original D&D, Swords & Wizardry, OSRIC, Basic Fantasy RPG, etc) and you will fear everything with your 3 HP.

In particular, let me introduce you to my Lord and savior (pic related).

mediafire.com/download/ocyykpqvmawdyse/Burning Wheel - Gold Edition - Bookmarked OCR.pdf

OSR games are pretty good about this.

FantasyCraft also, but it might feel a bit too much like 3.X for your taste. It makes a lot of sweeping changes (full attacks are gone, armor is DR, etc) but does use the same d20 engine so things like skills, saves, etc are all very familiar.

What? No. Stop, that's not what he's looking for at all. Wuxia is decidedly not the kind of dirtfarming simulator he's interested in. Wuxia is all about embracing character drama in a kung fu autism simulator.

No, you.

Curious, so these cucks can set it up such that I can download my own file, but make it publicly inaccessible without my noticing.

Let's try a reuploading.

mediafire.com/download/i9nnuh5py8po61c/Burning Wheel - Gold Edition - Bookmarked OCR(2).pdf

Nope :/

New mediafire account, try this one.

mediafire.com/download/03bfozl4dfcfonn/Burning Wheel - Gold Edition - Bookmarked OCR.pdf

Fuck it dude, if this doesn't work, post a dummy email and I will just fucking email it to you. I refuse to let Luke cuck Burning Wheel into a smaller audience.

No dice.

Works for me.

GURPS: Dungeon Fantasy, played with the optional rules on DF15:32 'Junior Delvers' to start at lower character points. SJGames would have called the series GURPS:AD&D if they wouldn't have been sued.

125 points will give you the equivalent of level 1 characters (the default is 250 points which is about level 5-6), if you want to play level 0 characters then there are templates for those too. You'll get fucked by everything if you're not careful but that seems to be what you want.

Magic is still busted but not as badly as 3.PF D&D, and there are alternative (vastly superior) Magic systems to explore and slot in if desired such as Sorcery and Ritual Path Magic.

No GURPS meme post yet so I'll do it.
>GURPS
If you're actually brave enough then there's the general to ask stupid questions in and get reasonable answers.

>30 seconds apart.
Don't mind me.

Do you have a pdf of The Black Company? I needs those magic rules in my life again

sendspace.com/filegroup/HLhsI0AWr3NcqvtGdiUGqw