So, today's MTG story was quite interesting

So, today's MTG story was quite interesting

>Jace is whipped by Lavinia
>Jace isn't allowed to go to Kaladesh because he has to stay in Ravnica and actually be the Guildpact
>Chandra and Nissa are definitely in lesbians
>Second OC walker confirmed for Kaladesh

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/home/kaladesh
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

holy shit, a robot elephant

Is Chandra a tsundere?

Lavinia is super wet for Gideon.

i can't even keep track off whose perspective I am reading. this writing is awful.

>Liliana
Just...
>Liliana

i dont get it, is it lavinia of the tenth command he was mentioning from the azorius shit in ravnica or liliana, not sure if you're trying to correct him or whats going on...

Big Sis Lili is great

I'm posting my reaction to Liliana in the UR

This wasn't a great article. The writer does a good job of portraying some of the more fantastical elements, such as how Nissa deals with being a nature mage on a world with almost no real nature.

But the have a problem with character voice. Not only do a number of the characters speak and think in ways that seem out of character, these are largely the same OOC mannerisms across the bunch. In their attempt to make casual dialog between members of the Gatewatch, everyone is casual in the same manner/language, instead of reflecting their incredibly different cultures and viewpoints. Everyone is just a bit too flippant and modern-casual for my tastes.

Lilliana, for example, hardly strikes me as the sort of person to say 'Hell no'.

>Super gross
>Gids
>hell no
>Come the hell on
>Jerk
>Easy, big fella. Not attacking mom.
>Sowwy
>The hell.
>punchybag
>blah blah blah
>FFFFFFFFF...
>super embarrassing
>super dog noses
>freaking idiot
>SHUT UP SHUT UP.
>WHAT IS COMING OUT OF MY FACE?
>super pi—uh, real angry,
>WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST SAY?
>...I think I'm gonna puke.
>made you feel weird
>SorryIblewupyourthingy
>Big Sis

Wow, I feel so immersed in this setting!

Break out the memes.

Jesus Christ, we went over this in the other thread. It's a fantasy setting, therefore characters can say anything and talk like anything. There's nothing out of character about the way that any of them speak.

It's a fantasy setting, therefore they can sound like anything. Get that stick out of your asses.

Fantasy planeswalker lore is literal "tumblr" romances.

And low IQ fat white knights eat it up thinking it will somehow make mtg cool or appeal to girls.

You are pretty right, they did act too similar at times.

You are super butthurt at dialogue. We went over this in the snowflake thread too.
>Buh, buh why does Chandra talk like a starbucks girl!!!
She literally walked into a meeting with a pastry like a starbucks girl. If it was anyone but miss "talk faster than my brain can keep up" you'd have a point, but it is, so you're just whining.

>She'd noticed that on the rare occasions Chandra sat still for five minutes, her lap inevitably attracted a small pile of drowsy cats.

We REDDIT WRITING M8

Fuck I can't believe how bad the writing is. I couldn't get past the first few paragraphs. The fucking writer is so absolute shit.

There is no shape to the writing whatsoever. No hooks. No nothing but shitty tumblr tier sassy girl dialogue.

"what, what?" "YOU open the door."

etc

This is such absolute shit it hurts my head to know such fucking retarded losers as the MTG lore attracts fund it by buying overpriced pieces of printed paper.

>It's a fantasy setting, therefore characters can say anything and talk like anything.

This is true, especially given the multiversal setting.

> There's nothing out of character about the way that any of them speak.

That's false. Its true that, as characters, they can have whatever mannerisms the author wants. But as someone who has been reading these lore articles for a while, it was immediately obviously to me from the first few lines of this story that this wasn't being written by the people who wrote the stories of the previous Block, because that Lilliana and this Lilliana are two completely different people.

You can have a fantasy setting where you can do whatever characterization you want and still have obviously inconsistent characterization for a given character. Thats the sin we have here, stemming from what appears to be a weakness of the writer regarding character voice. There is only really one character voice they can do, and they were struggling to push any of the gatewatch too far from that singular tone for more than a few lines at a time.

No, she genuinely likes being around Nissa and isn't trying to pretend otherwise. She just struggled to explain what she was feeling, felt stupid, and ran off because she was frazzled.

>it's fantasy therefore everyone thinks and acts the exact same way

Damn I wish I was as stupid as you so. Life must be bliss.

To be fair, it seems like Chandra and Liliana are a little wet for him too

Yo yo yo what up

MTG HIGH YO

Sassy yuppy feminist millennial is exactly how war veteran faced death many times planeswalkers act.

Yo chandra can I burrow some fucking paper towels, I'm out... ugh another week of ramen. Want to hit up the local coffee place and talk about cute cats?

>or appeal to girls
That's literally one of the things they're trying to do, on purpose. They're including female characters in the narrative and putting them at the forefront of marketing materials specifically so potential female players have characters they can associate with and relate to. That's not an accident, nor is it something that 'fat white knights' are 'dreaming of', it's absolutely 100% a purposefully engineered change of things.

This writer needs to stop watching animu

>he thinks women actually respond to this type of marketing.

MTG is never going to attract females. It's way too complicated and hard compared to stuff that attracts female players.

Also the social value of mtg players is way too fucking low. If you didn't know, women are intensely aware of social hierarchy. MTG is at the bottom of that.

> including pretty ladies in prominent marketing material is for the benefit of the female fans, I swear!

You know, I kinda have trouble believing that.

BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB

Alright. We'll go back to exclusively handsome looking male characters. Will that make you believe it?

>MTG is never going to attract females
Funny, I seem to notice a lot of female players when I go to prereleases and GPs. Much more than say, 5 years ago.

>It's way too complicated and hard
Magic's too complicated for female players to come to it? Okay, your opinion is officially garbage.

Yeah, because all they're doing is putting half-naked, doe-eyed bimbos with DDs into their stories to get saved by Big McLargehuge and the cleverest man alive.

It's not like this story called attention to Chandra's hair not being perfectly lustrous, or that Jace is a nervous fucking wreck from how much work he has, and isn't always as quick on his feet as he wants people to think he is.

General trend though. More girls play video games now than ever before by a humongous margin.

I'm telling you CoD has more females as a % of playerbase than does MTG.

>reading any mtg "lore"
No? Why would I do that. Unkillable inter-dimensional, plane reshaping gods died because of a really big fireball. After that, unless someone put in a LOT of fucking effort into some neo-yawgmoth fighting pherexianized eldrazi in glistening oil theros, I will never read any of their lore. I am not a masochist.

I'd say that's largely due to a societal shift where video games and other 'geeky' hobbies are seen as more acceptable and mainstream, so people don't shy away from them inherently.

But do you honestly, really think that Wizards pushing for female protagonists in the stories, female characters on the marketing materials, and trying to write from a place of understanding (they spoke with a black female writer to make sure they didn't fall into stupid pitfalls or make shit worse when they wrote Kaya, because they understood that those were problems when the primary writer is a white male who doesn't know what it's LIKE to be a black woman) isn't going to cause a single potential customer to take the plunge, or help someone feel welcomed and wanted in a hobby instead of repulsed?

I went in thinking "It can't be that bad", I came out thinking "It was exactly that bad".

The biggest issue I have with the writer is their use of complicated sentences for simple thoughts. Like you said, their shape is all over the place, and artistically. It's a flat out mess.

That's typically how it works though. Think of it this way: Like you said there's a societal shift. So to capitalize on it you do what you can to wave a fuckhuge flag and get people to know you're relevant to that shift.

It's just like how comics in the 70s-80s realized black people were starting to like comis so marvel decided "Here comes black panther, storm, and other such negro friends."

I had to go and actually check if those were bits from the story. They are.

They really are trying to pander and appeal to the Marvel/Joss Wheddon "geek" audience.

>It's a flat out mess.

That said, there were a couple of times when the writer had their shit together enough to manage one or two scenes that didn't immediately fall apart. Oddly, both of the ones I can think of involved Nissa. She seemed like the only one, aside from the Kaladesh dude, that didn't disappear into the sameface writing tone the others got mired in.

Oh look, it's a female PR shill from Wizards trying to blend in with the Veeky Forums misogynists.

Right, but I also think that you can do that in a GOOD way that makes people want to stick to your shit, and in a bad way that just feels like really half-assed pandering. The attempt to 'reach out' to black people in the 80s and 90s really pissed a lot of people off; Dwayne McDuffie wrote a letter to Marvel bashing how 25% of their black super heroes in 1988 had skateboard-based superpowers. People also called attention to how prevalent music/sound/electric based powers were.

>I don't actively despise anything with a vagina or fall into a frothing rage at the thought of women handling Magic cards
>Therefore I'm a female PR shill

>tfw Gix will never return

I am hoping this is an anomaly. The last few story bits were actually pretty good. The Promised End was probably the best magic lore we have gotten since they moved to this online short story format.

And this clearly wasn't a very important lore segment. I'm hoping this is just one of their more inexperienced writers that was given a chance to cut their teeth on a relatively unimportant story, and we will return to our regular quality soon.

>I get accused of being a female PR shill, therefor I immediately jump to accusing my opposition of woman-hating
>Therefor I am a female PR shill
Fixed that for you, cunt.

The Promised End was shit. You're confusing it with Saint Traft and the Flight of Nightmares, a plot divorced from the Gatewatch.

No, you were literally shilling. Justifying shitty story construction with "but guys, some girl might buy it, so it's okay" is condescending and immature. My girlfriend likes New Phyrexia, and she hates all this tasteless pandering because it's about treating women who might play the hobby as intrinsically different from women who enjoy the hobby already.

Also, nice incendiary language, faggot. The shill's first tool is hyperbole, and the second is inflammatory accusations against detractors.

Writing boring tumblr tier factory produced liberal fantasy doesn't attract anyone.

They aren't real characters. They are absolutely shit. It's the same strong black or whatever other character from every other company doing exactly the same shit.

It's fucking garbage.

Yeah, seriously. What is it with black people and electric powers? What's the connection there?

How else are you going to burn down your neighbourhood if not by starting with a spark?

MTG fiction is terrible and does the game a great disservice.

I could place these "characters" into a college dorm setting and there wouldn't be any difference.

Please have enough brain cells to understand why this shouldn't be the case. How many people have each of these planeswalkers killed or seen killed?

It doesn't bother you that hundreds of years old characters who are older than the oldest human behave like 15 year old teens from America?

With FIRE? Bigass sheets of flame fired from muh dick.

Guys we gave these planeswalker demigods who are veterans of many wars for survival the stereotypical personality of yuppy americans. Also we made sure to throw in some social analysis on asking permission to touch a girl.

What excellent writing and story!

It's a good thing there are zero metrics for how successful these "extra lore" bits are because it would never even get $100 worth of funding if they could see the ROI on this tripe bullshit.

They can sound like anything, true. What they can't do, if they're intending to write well, is sound an entirely different way than they have before. Plus, the way they speak is downright embarrassing. They all use the idioms of socially awkward geeks, because the readers are socially awkward geeks and the intent is to make them "relatable." Liliana is not your average socially awkward geek; neither are Gideon or Nissa or even Chandra. I could see them coming from Jace, maybe. Maybe. Not from the others.

The problem is, these are Planeswalkers. These are beings that have traveled across the Multiverse, encountered trauma the likes of which we can't even imagine, faced off against ridiculously powerful beings, and they're still here. They don't act like pasty nerds.

Ha, no. They're including female characters in the narrative because they're 50% of most races, and for what minor genetic differences there may or may not be between the genders there's magic. There's no reason not to.

I'd have to agree. The scene with Chandra and Liliana at the beginning was vomit-worthy, but Nissa's half of the battle with Gideon wasn't too bad. (Admittedly, his casual speech and reaction was fucking retarded, but she didn't do too bad.)

Part of the problem is also that you're putting a group of five people all diametrically opposed to each other in the same building on the same plane, and not getting any of the sparks you'd expect - no pun intended. Liliana isn't going off and deciding to rule a plane and raise an army of zombies because she can, she's sitting around doing next to nothing. I can see Nissa still trying to get stronger, and thank fucking god Jace is back to his Guildpact duties, but Gideon would be out running around trying to help everyone by himself. Again. They wouldn't be participating in a fucking slice of life anime.

I'm honestly surprised that people here of all places are disliking that they wrote an anime episode with planeswalkers.

In a broad story sense, this story is perfect. It sets a status quo. It introduces the plot for the episode. Going forward I kinda want each block to start like this.

The only thing I didn't like was the Chandra perspective, that was too pandery. The Lili perspective, however, was straight up Tony Stark and I think that's exactly what they should be going for.

I think the whole Jund shard of the gate watch is in lesbians desu

It's literally

>let's include suicide squad and avengers into MTG cuz we are hasbro.

>was straight up Tony Stark and I think that's exactly what they should be going for.

top glass of taint juice to you mate

>disliking that a bunch of battleworn warriors and mighty wizards act like they're out of a SOL anime
>surprising

You see, people talking shit about the writing need to look past that and realize that there's currently a 3-way lesbian shard going on.

>I'm honestly surprised that people here of all places are disliking that they wrote an anime episode with planeswalkers.
I think it's mainly just because they did it with these particular walkers.

If some other, probably newer monored walker was running around making "hilarious" jokes and shortening everyone's names to single syllables then people wouldn't be as mad.

They will deny it is tumblr/fanfic/anime shit even though all the actual replies from MTG fans talk about it using tsundere and those terms.

These people are masters of self denial and double think.

BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB

WE JUST SAVED THE MULTIVERSE AND WE ARE ALL FUCKING MATURE VETERANS OF WARS

BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB

>YES GET THE TUMBLR AUDIENCE

>Wanting Gix

but why?

BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB

WE JUST SAVED THE MULTIVERSE AND WE ARE ALL FUCKING MATURE VETERANS OF WARS

BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB

>YES GET THE TUMBLR AUDIENCE

BEEFSLAB

BEEFSLAB

BEEFSLAB IS OFFICIAL MAGIC THE GATHERING PLANESWALKER LORE BEEFSLAB IS OFFICIAL MAGIC THE GATHERING PLANESWALKER LORE BEEFSLAB IS OFFICIAL MAGIC THE GATHERING PLANESWALKER LORE BEEFSLAB IS OFFICIAL MAGIC THE GATHERING PLANESWALKER LORE BEEFSLAB IS OFFICIAL MAGIC THE GATHERING PLANESWALKER LORE BEEFSLAB IS OFFICIAL MAGIC THE GATHERING PLANESWALKER LORE BEEFSLAB IS OFFICIAL MAGIC THE GATHERING PLANESWALKER LORE BEEFSLAB IS OFFICIAL MAGIC THE GATHERING PLANESWALKER LORE BEEFSLAB IS OFFICIAL MAGIC THE GATHERING PLANESWALKER LORE

BEEFSLAB GOT PUBLISHED BEEFSLAB GOT PUBLISHED BEEFSLAB GOT PUBLISHED BEEFSLAB GOT PUBLISHED BEEFSLAB GOT PUBLISHED BEEFSLAB GOT PUBLISHED BEEFSLAB GOT PUBLISHED BEEFSLAB GOT PUBLISHED BEEFSLAB GOT PUBLISHED BEEFSLAB GOT PUBLISHED

I'd have to agree that if it was a new character who was intentionally built like this, who hadn't seen their parents executed in front of them and who hadn't gone toe-to-tentacle with impossible horrors from beyond the pale of reality, then I probably wouldn't mind it. Their spark-igniting experience could've been something that wasn't caused by an outside force, like falling off a tall building or being buried in a landslide, so their psyches are scarred but not as dramatically as, say, Gideon's. Then, I could honestly see it. But with Chandra? No.

Who is the "they" in this scenario?

>Guildpact
>Saving the Multiverse

that's like saying you saved Mozambique and Zimbabwe from being destroyed and claiming you saved the world

I think if wizards was more explicit about BFZ being a Time Spiral level story 'reset' then we'd see people being a lot more level headed about it.

Retcons all over the place, none of the main characters are the characters they were beforehand, kill several high profile enemies, even had a time travel reset the block before. Zendikar was the one big dangling cliffhanger they had, they finished it, and now we're in a new canon.

BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB

PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS

OFFICIAL MAGIC THE GATHERIG PLANESWALKER LORE

CHANDRA SNORTED CHANDRA SNORTED CHANDRA SNORTED CHANDRA SNORTED CHANDRA SNORTED

BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB

GIDS GIDS GIDS GIDS GIDS GIDS GIDS GIDS GIDS GIDS GIDS GIDS GIDS

DROWSY CATS DROWSY CATS DROWSY CATS DROWSY CATS DROWSY CATS DROWSY CATS DROWSY CATS DROWSY CATS DROWSY CATS DROWSY CATS DROWSY CATS

SWEETIE SWEETIE SWEETIE SWEETIE SWEETIE SWEETIE SWEETIE SWEETIE SWEETIE SWEETIE SWEETIE SWEETIE SWEETIE SWEETIE SWEETIE

PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS PUT ON PANTS

OFFICIAL PUBLISHED AND EDITED MTG LORE IN 2016

BURN YOUR FUCKIGN CARDS
SELL THEM ASAP
DUMP THEM TO BUYLISTS

REST IN PISS MTG

Well, Mirrodin's story was technically finished, but New Phyrexia is kind of a dangling cliffhanger, becuase it's the Phyrexians and everything.

Unless they never learn interplanar travel and they're just a big ball of corruption tucked away in a magic safe.

Well, the problem is, they never mentioned it being a massive reset. And these are all nominally the same characters they had before. If they introduced Joce, Goodon, Liliena, Naysa, and Chundra, I'd be okay. With Jace, Gideon, Liliana, Nissa, and Chandra, I'm not. It's that simple.

You can stop now. Repeating something once is emphasis, a hundred times is autism.

BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB

OFFICIAL MTG LORE TRADEMARKED AND COPYWRITTEN

Other than Liliana the rest are in their twenties, if memory serves.

That said, Gideon was a soldier from a world heavily based on ancient Greece, so it is kinda weird seeing that he's from one of the least modern planes we've come across.

I certainly wish I could just turn off parts of my brain at will. Life must sure be a lot more fun when you don't think critically and conciously about things and instead just accept everything no matter how mediocre or bad it really is.

migrate

Holy fucking shit Kaladesh gave me chills

magic.wizards.com/en/home/kaladesh

Not even joking this plane is a 10/10

What the fuck was even so attractive about Gix? Sure, he was a threatening villain and evil as shit, but I don't remember him being charismatic or quirky or whatever enough to warrant a big fanbase.

BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB BEEFSLAB

>Page one
>Nowhere near saging

OK, so any justifiable reason to make a new thread is clearly not present, so why have you killed an innocent thread to do this, user? Is this just because your new meme isn't catching on?

I don't know about bad writing but I really like mangos so I'm giving it a 6/10

> Liliana isn't going off and deciding to rule a plane and raise an army of zombies because she can, she's sitting around doing next to nothing. I can see Nissa still trying to get stronger, and thank fucking god Jace is back to his Guildpact duties, but Gideon would be out running around trying to help everyone by himself. Again. They wouldn't be participating in a fucking slice of life anime.

These are all things that I think can be handled well, they just were not by this writer.

Lili is biding her time as a snake sitting amongst the Gatewatch, building up 'good credit' and waiting to cash it in so she can get their help dealing with her Chainveil/Demon problems. She has lived for 200 years, and she has eternal youth now. She can afford to wait, as long as waiting suits her long term goals. Even in this we see the signs of her learning exactly what buttons to push to bend the Gatewatch in the direction she chooses, which is a pretty Lili thing to do.

Jace is doing his motherfucking job, and Lavenia is making sure he keeps doing it. Which is about goddamn time.

Nissa gets a pass on sitting around doing nothing, she got Emrakuled pretty hard and Innistrad was far from kind to her. If anything, I am kinda surprised she isn't back on Zendikar chilling with her BFF plane and helping rebuild the ecosystem. I also thought that the idea of Chandra envying the placid control that Nissa has to be the potential for a good character relationship between them, since Chandra certainly has power but she lacks focus and she knows it.

Gideon seems to be in 'preparing for the next battle' mode. For him, dedicating a few months to teambuilding and training so that they work better as a group the next time the Gatewatch assembles is perfectly fine. He has lost his entire group before this, its his dark backstory whatsit. He is in no rush to repeat that mistake.

It wasn't that bad in french

>inb4 Read it in english, you faggot
I don't wanna

I wonder why.

>Liliana
I can see it, but sure as hell not the way she acts.
>Jace
Thank fucking God.
>Nissa
Well, yes. Could be worse. Honestly, I don't think we saw enough of her mind to go "bad."
>Gideon
Maybe. For one thing, if he is in "training" mode, he's far too casual about it. For another, as far as we're aware, he's only training Nissa to bring her back up to strength. Also, given that Ravnica still isn't fixed and the Boros still need him, I'd think it'd be right back into the fray with him.

>and not getting any of the sparks you'd expect
Honestly they should just leave that to Maro
His version of their downtime is a lot better than the official version

I feel like Gideon's had something of a falling-out with Aurelia? Was it just that one flavor text?

He is clearly the only one that is taking the extremely realistic possibility Liliana will fuck them all over the second it's convenient to do so seriously, though.

Why are you using his dead name?

HE IS BEEFSLAB NOW

Nobody gives a shit about your meme. Go to your thread.

Yeah, that's the problem. At their core the motivations in play are fine and could make for good lore. But all of the dialog and interactions this article were botched so badly they spoiled the ingredients.

I suspect that either the outline for what was supposed to happen here was handed off to someone else to write it, and that second writer wasn't up to snuff... or the writer here has what seemed like pretty good ideas at the meeting table and was entrusted to write the actual story which is a totally different skillset and they couldn't quite hack it.

Reminder that most of the Gatewatch are in their mid-20s and have less than stellar lives and role models. Liliana is the oldest, being pre-mending (approximately year 4500), but the rest of the gang were born over 70 years later. Chandra in 4586, Jace in 4582, and Gideon in 4581. Nissa's approximate birthdate is unknown.

The events of Khans of Tarkir finish up in 4608, meaning that Gideon is almost 30, and Chandra is almost 25. Given Tarkir finishes up with Ugin learning about the release of the Eldrazi, and he immediately heads off to Zendikar, we can guess that the Gatewatch is formed around 4609, and the events on Innistrad couldn't have taken more than a year. So we're in 4610, by my reckon.

But yeah the dialogue sucks and it hurts to read.

I find it fascinating how on the first thread, people were arguing in favor of the sort of language that Chandra uses, saying that it fits her character and that anyone can sound like anything in a fantasy setting.

In the second thread, more people collectively go 'what the fuck, this dialogue is atrocious.'

In the third thread, it's acknowledged to be so bad that one fucker's memeing it up over this shit.

I don't recall any falling out, although it could have happened. Honestly, I'd expect someone as red-secondary as Gideon would probably go out on their own if need be.

Apparently this is the only story by Chris L'Etoile. I'd buy that they just came up with the idea and let them write it rather than hand it off to an established writer.

That doesn't excuse how they talked. If anything, they'd be more cynical and realistic, which makes this worse.

There was no real falling-out. Aurelia offered him Boros membership as a captain or general or something and his own battalion to lead but he declined partly because he felt she was too much of a hardliner. Aurelia didn't like that but she wasn't pissed off or anything. Also there were some lines about her throwing sexy eyes at him. Pretty much every female he's ever encountered wants him and he always says no. He's either gay or the most professional guy ever who knows how pussy can fuck shit up.

But maybe we'll get a threesome between him and Aurelia and Lavinia next time we're on Ravnica.

Chandra, herself, can probably be forgiven some of her dialog. Its a tiny bit cringey, but she is the Red mana chaos baby. She has always just been a ball of emotion and fire.

The problem is that everyone else is acting the same way.

I miss Gideon. This new Kytheon guy is a fucking idiot.

>Also the social value of mtg players is way too fucking low. If you didn't know, women are intensely aware of social hierarchy. MTG is at the bottom of that.
I think that you have forgotten the social subbasement where dwell the people that even we wont talk to. (you know who you are!)

He does it on purpose. Canonically.
Just so he can shit on people who think he's an idiot later.
Just ask Noyan Dar. It happened to the smuggest scholar on all of Zendikar, it'll happen to this new Vedalken guy, it'll happen to Liliana.

He's still by far the best of the five.

Interesting fact, Chris L'Etoile was one of the writers for Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, along with Dawngate (RIP).

I see it as "people who have led lives of nonstop danger and adventure finally have an opportunity to relax and attempt being normal young people (and failing badly)."

He's a battlesexual. His only loves are beating the shit out of people, JUSTICE, and his weird facial hair.

All sins will be forgiven if it gets us a scene of dawning comprehension from Liliana that she has been outsmarted by Gideon, and has been for some time.