Crusaders had hand-grenades. News at 11

Crusaders had hand-grenades. News at 11.

Yes, holy handgrenades. Probably from Antioch, I don't know.

foxnews.com/science/2016/08/25/crusader-era-hand-grenade-surprises-archaeologists.html?utm_content=bufferb696a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

So why can't D&D adventurers just lug these things around and thrown them into dungeons to clear them?

>yfw they're perfume "grenades"

Other urls found in this thread:

cultural-china.com/chinaWH/html/en/Kaleidoscope1bye2.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>So why can't D&D adventurers just lug these things around and thrown them into dungeons to clear them?
They can't?

Guess your GM is shit.

I'm sorry, what are you proposing as a topic of conversation? The article? D&D's lack of decent thrown weapons? Players that insist things discovered about the crusades must be put in the game somehow? Not trying to be a dick, just don't know what you're looking for.

I'll go with "What is Alchemist Fire?" as my answer here Alex.

Because it implies explosives and other forms of gunpowder and we can't have technological progress in my setting.

It's been in a medieval state for over five thousand years and I have banned players for trying to bring about progress of any sort and rewritten the physics of the setting to deny the harnessing of electricity, steam, etc. because Tolkien didn't have (I assume he didn't, I didn't even watch the movies, I just listened to what fox movie critics told me)

blah blah blah-

God, I can't even keep up this bait.

Anyway though, my setting can one-up your ancient hand grenades, OP: cultural-china.com/chinaWH/html/en/Kaleidoscope1bye2.html

Medieval Cruise Missiles!

you sound like a bad DM

>"9/10s of what we know about history is wrong. More news at 11".

Tolkien had experienced the first world war (an industrial war) and as a result had a beef with industry. This is why industry is never portrayed as a positive development in Middle Earth.

Because it could collapse the dungeon and bury all the sweet loot with it.

Huh, you know, I heard of those points but never connected them.

also, that post was mostly sarcasm.

I'm actually a pretty big fan of technology advancing in a setting, and would honestly love to do either a series of campaigns set across multiple time-periods of a setting (going bronze age to iron age to early medieval, renaissance, and finally Enlightenment) or maybe one campaign that involves the PCs moving forward through time or something.

>Fox News

Acid
Alchemist's fire
Alkali flask
Bottled lightning
Burst jar
Firecracker
Firecracker, spirit
Firework, banshee ballerina
Firework, dancing peonies
Firework, jumping jenny
Firework, paper candle
Firework, skydragon
Firework, skyrocket
Firework, sparking pinwheel
Firework, star candle
Firework, starfountain
Gel, shard
Ghast retch flask
Grenade, Fuse
Holy water
Liquid ice
Oil, keros
Pellet grenade, iron
Pellet grenade, silver
Pellet grenade, cold iron
Pellet grenade, adamantine
Powder, flash
Powder, itching
Powder, sneezing
Tangleburn bag
Tanglefoot bag
Thunderstone

I dont think D&D (PF actually) has a shortage of thrown weapons, including grenades.

>So why can't D&D adventurers just lug these things around and thrown them into dungeons to clear them?

Dungeons aren't just one small room. You going to lob one in? The racket brings down quite a bit of enemy presence attracted by the noise. More than what a normal fight would bring.

The second wave get smart after hearing more than one explosion and starts pushing a table in front of them to block the shrapnel.

They do, it's called "wizard with fireball". Has the added advantage of moving around cover and magically only ever damaging things you want to kill

Why would you waste a spell slot for that?

Why would the board about real-world history care about what D&D adventurers use as weapons?

It's why WW1 was called the Industrial war since it was essentially making and moving a shitload of stuff on a scale never seen before. Although the first true 'industrialized' war would be the American civil war.

>foxnews

I'm skeptical, but there were likely hand grenades in India and China in the 11th century, so fuck it. The technology was there, it just hadn't been spread west.

>WAAAAH! THEY REJECTED MY JANITOR APPLICATION FOR 87th TIME!

That shit would had to go through the middle east and guess who Europe was fighting at that time.

In unrelated news, a party of adventurers almost suffocated after abusing crude explosives in a confined space.

Not to mention: just because we HAD the technology to make it doesn't always mean we had the tech to make it practical, or even just the first time it appeared, the conditions were different not making it practical.

Or even if it was there, the impetus for using it wasn't, like steam engines in ancient Rome.

Steam engines in Rome? Seriously? Why would it take until the 18th century for those to come back?

not him, but for starters, the original Greek Steam engine was a novelty toy that was basically a suspended teapot with two spouts. Hardly the steam engine as we consider it.

Then there's the fact that the mechanical systems to create something more useful might have died with Archimedes or sunk with the Antikythera Device he built (though the math was still around).

Finally, there's the fact that I don't think the Romans had full steel, just iron, and I'm not sure iron alone is strong enough for a decent steam engine.

Oh, and slavery was just simpler at the time.

Ancient Greek mechanics were actually quite sophisticated and practical. Many may still be unknown to us for aimple lack of documentation. Pumps were available and could be made water tight, so hydrolics would have theoreticallly been possible. Water screws were used to water crops, and later the basis for draining swampland.

So why didn't it catch on? Because slace labor was cheap, and eventually animal labor would becomw cheaper.

>Not trying to be a dick, just don't know what you're looking for.
It's one of those "OP just learned about [THING] and wanted to show off his newly acquired knowledge" threads.

They were probably closer to molotovs

Because as he said, it was just a toy at the time. No one looked at the toy and thought "If I made a bigger one it would make farming easier"

It's how some technology is "missed" by some cultures, no one asks the right questions.

Wasn't the first vending machine technically an ancient Greek device where holy water was dispensed when you put a coin in a dish?

Cost of manufacture

Is it cheaper to have machines and engineers to do it than servants or slaves?

No?

Then why have it?

>naphtha = alchemist fire

These anons know what the fuck they're talking about.

The Bronze age lasted for 1500 years with very little noticeable or large technological innovation.