He Official MTG Snowstorm/Lore Thread

Welcome to the MTG flake/lore thread!
Last Thread:Previously: Planeshifted flakes, shitposting, bimbo Chandra is best

Writefagging last time: Don't think so, but I didn't look very hard.

If you want ANYTHING to go in the repo, just summon me. Otherwise I will only put writefagging and sheets in the repo.

Also, I added the blank template to the ALL FLAKESHEETS folder. And the old snowsheets are under "Snowstorm sheets" > "1- ALL FLAKE SHEETS."

To summon me simply say
>OP OP, I SUMMON THEE. PLACE THIS FILE IN THE REPOSITORY.
Unless that's too gay.

>Current Repository

drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwl7IuoVRkFxUDZRVGVfQ1BDbm8

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_theory
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/homesick-2016-08-29
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/state-design-2016-2016-08-29
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Let's poll the room:
Out of all of the planeshifted versions of characters that we've seen, which one is the worst off in their alternate timelines?

If any of them are better off in their alternate timelines, who is worst off in this one?

I wonder if anyone realizes this thread works.

Nope.

I do

>unironically making a "lore" thread for a dying game desecrated by SJWs

>desecrated by SJWs
muh boogeyman
who gives a shit. you don't have to read the stories if you don't want to, dude.

I'd argue Venn's Plane-shifted version is far better off than his normal version. She gives zero shits about Innistrad and is intrigued by all the new horrors.

I'm literally the only person at my lgs who even reads the URs.

The overwhelming majority of players couldn't give less of a shit about the story.

This is starting to get sad. You nuts flip your shit over literally anything now.
You're literally the mirror of SJWs, flinging shit over every small thing and looking for things to be upset about where there is none.

He's retarded for saying it's "desecrated" but there's a lot of things that "social justice" and related feelings have done to make the game worse.

The biggest offender being that they're afraid of printing Wrath so as to not upset religious people.

>Gaia the gynoid
I don't even know where to start with this.

There's definitely a Redfingers somewhere. Still anxiety-fraught, still a cute, still a cog in a machine, but a killy murderdeathy one.

On Dominaria's timeline when does one go from Old Walker to Neo-walker?

So when I finish part of Venn's ignition story (I KNOW IT'S TAKEN FOREVER), should I write about Planeshifted Venn?

All Planeswalkers from all planes went from oldwalker to neowalker after the Mending.

I think they were asking when in Dominaria's time specifically did the mending occur.

We haven't been to dominaria in forever though, I think.

It was something like around 80-90 years ago. Pre-Mending walkers have found ways to have eternal youth.

>The biggest offender being that they're afraid of printing Wrath so as to not upset religious people.
Christfags and SJWs are the opposite sides of the horseshoe though

It's the same sort of crazy, though.

Yes but the problem with this is: there's literally nothing stopping them from printing another wrath just renamed. Instead, we get Descend Upon the Sinful and Planar Outburst. Can you think of any reason for that other than 'so they won't offend people'?

That's exactly what I was referencing.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_theory

Wizards wants a stronger creature meta?

>Wizards wants a stronger creature meta?
I'm all for that.

I just wish they would make a new sentient race and build upon it.

I'm glad to have vedalken back, but yeah, we could really use some variety. Maybe some kind of golem species or something?

I actually want something new and unique. Kind of like how the Vedalken were.

Standard is full of removal so I highly doubt that.

Rolled 179, 134 = 313 (2d222)

We haven't had any battles in a while.
Let's get some discussions going, any flake in the repository goes:

Myxxzzikt VS Sonia Neri

Let the crazy begin!

It's a bit of an odd matchup.

Myxxzzikt is an observer, who doesn't appear to be inclined to engage in combat normally unless it's to gather some information that cannot be gleaned from observing from concealment.

WG Sonia is a pacifist, and so would not fight Myx even if she became aware of its presence. As her magic has some effect on the mind through eliminating the need for violence, she might be a little better-protected against Myx's abilities, which are mostly mental, but I feel like for the most part Myx would observe her and WG Sonia would let herself be observed if she felt the creature was doing no harm.

WR Sonia would be more vulnerable to mental abilities but also more inclined to fight and less inclined to let something spying on her alone. A large part of her magic is retributive, however, so Myx would be able to escape any unwanted engagement since its inclination is not to strike first, and logic would probably not permit antagonizing an enemy whose response is stronger the more violent her opponent is.

Rolled 114, 83 = 197 (2d222)

Been about an hour, and that wasn't a great match-up. Let's try again!

Irriad
VERSUS
Lelunde

BEGIN!

And a bonus junk card to discuss, I see.

Really though, what the hell is red about that card? It's basically a 1-drop 3/2 wall. I remember that junk being in Rakdos Bloodsport during Dissension, just because it helped you empty your hand faster.

Hard to say exactly, but advantage might go to the one that is supposedly a domain walker. At least they'd have a better reason to fight than the last match-up.

Probably this?

Something something sacrificing lands for aggression.

Not as good a lizard as Rootwalla.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/homesick-2016-08-29 repostan' latest UR just because
>Beefslab
Priceless.

Meme all you want, I thought it was cute.

I am not 'memeing", i found it entertaining. A bit on the silly side sometimes, and I personally found some of Chandra's interactions a bit too high school comedy for my tastes, though.
Of course, in all your namecalling superiority, you wouldn't be able to see through your prejudices.

We did have extreme shitposting earlier on.
Also
>that sand castle.

I see no sand to speak of. I am here to talk MtG, not to have petty fights, and as such, if possible, I would like to have my opinions considered in a vacuum and not in the context of shitposting.
Now to be fair, the most interestig part has been Baan. I really like the character. Really interested in seeing what he is up to.

Unless you were talking abot Chandra's sand castle, in which case, forgive my aggressiveness. Meme accusations ruin my mood.

I am.
Now what are your opinions?

It is interesting. It may be my yuri goggles really, but the Chandra X Nissa angle is waaaay too clear to me. Am I ok with lezwalkers? Yeah. Is it a good idea overall? Not sure. Baan is marvelous. 10/10. It is nice to see that Vraska is still up and kicking, cause if there is a thing I hate is to have walkers like Vraska, Rade and Ashiok that only appear once and then disappear from the story without doign anything. To be fair...
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/state-design-2016-2016-08-29
Now I don't want to be overly enthusiastic but it seems that MaRo is actually getting what the team has been doing wrong so far. I agree on many points he makes- although, not all of them.

Chandra is cute and all, but her scatterbrainism sometimes reaches seemingly brain damaged levels.

>regiposting
My body ain't ready to argue with that.

With any luck, that's just this author's inability to grasp her character.

Still. Big sis Lili, tho.

Liliana is my role model. Especially the immortality and being a girl bits.

>you will never be a good and caring guy like Gideon.
It hurts sometimes.

Honestly, I was fibe with Chandra when she was written from Lili's point of view. But the moment the author tried to write Chandra's voice by taking that ADD Red ball and pushing it over a cliff, I couldn't stand it. But Lili was gold, and I liked her interractions/manipulations with Chandra. She clearly finds this pyromancer to be entertaining as hell, and may even be a smidge affectionate towards her. Emphasis on SMIDGE.

Also, Lili triggering Jace's autism? Priceless

>Also, Lili triggering Jace's autism? Priceless
Baan's too, but he isn't a sperg about it, he's used to everything being imperfect.

Maybe Kaladesh is the evilest plane of all and the plane itself is warping everyone's mind into stereotypical sitcom personalities.

> triggering Jace's autism
Shit, nigga. Jace's autism has always been at Full Blast.

>the ultimate communist sitcom

I know that the rebels are gonna be the good guys and the moral will be "communism is bad" (even though they mention mertocracy, what has it to do with communism?), I just wish they won't make it an american propaganda thing of "do things your way and live the american dream".
This, or I am projectign a lot.

You are probably right, and that makes me sad.

I don't think that's going to be the case.

>Kaladesh is Red because communism
>Aether Revolt makes it Red/White/Blue
USA
USA

>communism
>red mana
pick one and only one

Is communism green or green/white in philosophy?

Pure white. Technocratic/advanced/post-scarcity ones ones also have blue.

It could also be green with everyone having their place. Though I suppose it depends on the communism.

Marxism theorically springs by an equation between technologies and cost of said technologies. Marx was, at the core, an idealist and as such he somewhat share par tof Hegel's views about the progression of human history: for him communism could only be born into a society that had reached the industiral revolution already. It is one of the reasons that led communist russia to make a sudden jump toward industrialism in the first years after the revolution: they were trying to conform to what Marx wrote.
So yes, Blue can be part of communism in its first phase. Green's "survival of the fittest" theme is ill suited to it, especially since Marxism dictates that after the transitional dictatorship of proletariat, any hierarchy is supposed to fall. Honestly it is pretty difficult to put communism as ideal in any color bracket: it surely has some of the Orderly concepts of White, and thrives on the idea that people will at a certain point start to self regulate themselves.
call me Karl Murdock from now on.

Adding white and blue makes things MORE communist, not less.

Is the repository even being updated anymore now that Gaia has taken off from OPing the threads?

So, ignoring the shitposting storm from yesterday, the article was an odd, but okay read. I wasn't expecting much from WotC, but it was a pretty decent setup.
To bring a downer, most flakes tied to Innistrad now need to basically just leave, because there's now no chance of closure until the return block.

Very relevant thread. I'm wondering if the new snowstorm will start up because of In particular I can tell pic related is going to cause a few flakes.

This. I would like an answer to this.

If we're not updating the repository anymore, I think I have an interesting thing to do with this snowstorm.

All forms of updating have come to a halt.

Well, then, with the repository locked...

I guess it's time to call about an Ice Age.

So, how about it folks? This will either be the finale, or a reinvigoration of the flakes that we have at hand:

>During each round, flakes will be assigned to random opponents in single-elimination tournament fashion.
>Flakes will be treated as though they are all neowalkers in order to create a balance of power.
>Flakes with meme-levels of power will be treated as though they weren’t.
>Flakes that directly contradict lore, especially by going against or interacting inappropriately with canon characters, will be disqualified.
>Flakes that are joke or troll flakes will be disqualified. The use of silver-bordered cards in a flake’s preferred spell list automatically disqualifies them.

>During the first round, all flakes will be placed into the roster randomly. Flakes that are disqualified will give their random opponents a bye for the round.
>During the first round, flakes will be revealed in smaller groups, noting disqualifications and asking the thread if they wish to disqualify anyone else.

>During each round, small groups of flake match-ups will be revealed
>Arguments and votes will be taken from the thread over which flake is likely to prevail over the other.
>After each round, the flakes that move on will be re-randomized on the roster to make match-ups unpredictable.

>Match-Up rules will treat both competing flakes in a match as though they are both forced into conflict with the other, and neither is allowed to planeswalk away until a winner is determined.

So, how about it? Shall we play the game?

And just to note, all flakes of varying "bad-ness" will be permitted, as long as they aren't of joke design or are literally impossible. Characters with inappropriate, godlike power despite being neowalkers will be up for disqualification at the discretion of the thread.

I dunno, user. There are some pretty powerful walkers in the storm, even post-Mending. Some even approach Bolas or Ugin levels of power.

I'd say only two do that.

Everyone has a weakness somewhere. And besides that, at least we can discuss the fights and what we think would happen. I think that we can generally expect certain flakes to get further along, particularly when some are very non-combat oriented.

Which two?

Everyone has a weakness, unless you're a you-know-whose flake.

>The Gatewatch is hanging out on Ravnica.
Fuck, that's a snowflake-tier aneurysm for Ral right there. What's next, they bring a strange planeswalker from another world Ajani or Koth come to ming and have them say they're an escaped Simic experiment?

Will and Graveborn.

No, they just start telling everyone about Planeswalkers. Let that cat out of that bag.

Both are lore breaking, and so both are disqualified. I thought you were going to say Gaia and Messenger.

I wouldn't say either are exactly lore breaking. Will uses time trickery with Colorless mana (Ugin-esque) and Graveborn is cursed to remain bound to the blind eternities and uses his awareness and abilities to control his undead body and ship.

Both are extremely powerful only because of their degree of intelligence / cleverness / creativity.

Graveborn carries a whole fucking ship with him through the blind eternities, and as far as we know in canon, it is impossible to have your spark and nothing else exist in the blind eternities. He breaks far too many rules and makes far too many major assumptions where the rules are vague for him to qualify.

Will time-travels post-mending without using silver of any kind. Instant lore break. Time travel without silver is impossible. Sarkhan doesn't count, because someone dropped the ball with lore on that one. And even then, it wasn't controlled time travel. What Will does is impossible both post and pre mending. He is lore breaking as hell.

Not a bad idea. Go ahead and roll up the first rounds, I guess.

>Sarkhan doesn't count, because someone dropped the ball with lore on that one
Not him, and I agree Will is shit, but it's confirmed that the only time travel URZA discovered needed silver. It's entirely believable that Ugin, who used an entirely different mana set relative to reality could cause some fucked up time bending that could throw someone into the past.
Urza, while strong, was constrained by being an artificer, instead of someone who could make magic. I mean fuck, some no-name from Ravnica had something working.

That said no flake should be that strong to be compared to Ugin anyway. A time based flake should be no better at it than Tracer or Ekko for example. Redo maybe a few seconds and an annoying cooldown or other nerf.

I am already way ahead of that. I put the whole list of snowflakes in the repository through randomization before I even proposed the idea.
Since the idea is at least gathering some amount of discussion, let's go through with it.

The first set of flakes drawn for combat, are as follows. Which is matched up against which will be revealed after we have cemented disqualifications for that group. In no particular order:

>Dr. Bogart [DISQUALIFIED: Troll Flake]
>Rakkan
>Reine
>Starke
>Arkhesh
>Raioh
>Larothenes
>Hondick

Of the flakes given, does the thread believe that any more should be eliminated? I am particularly interested in Rakkan. Though Krakens are quite intelligent and it would not be completely outlandish to think that one could hold a spark, this flake might be a bit off of the ball.

But my point is there is no evidence in lore that Ugin can time travel. Even if we can't say there is no other method, we can't say that there is either. So it is an area so vague, we have to make major assumptions about the multiverse to make a tine travelling flake. But the lore we have say it's impossible without silver.

> with him
No. Graveborn himself doesn't go anywhere. He projects his conciousness into his undead body and uses his Planeswalker abilities to move his body and the ship around. That is all. And none of this is lore breaking. We have had sparks existing outside of bodies before. Actually, quite a few times. We have multiple souls trapped within various objects or inside of places. And we know that matter can be moved across the blind eternities. Akin to Planeswalkers clothes/gear and Nicol Bolas even forcing walkers and non-walkers to planeswalk to his plane. This is just a dead body and a ship.

So, again how is he lore breaking?

Tezzeret didn't need silver to time travel. And neither did the Clockworkers.

Rakkan is a confirmed Vronak flake, ergo it's designed from the ground up to be lore-breaking in a nebulous way.

>But the lore we have say it's impossible without silver.
>Sarkhan went back in time a thousand years because Ugin's corpse happened to saturate an area with colorless mana.
>Some no name Izzet guy went back in time a day.
These would both be canon examples of time travel in the lore, one of them on purpose and repeatable. So no, it doesn't require silver.

It's best to treat the silver thing they same way you'd treat the lore of pre-modern cards: With a grain of salt. It's in the same tier as this card saying black can have artifact destruction.

I mean, you just can't say an example "doesn't count" because it rolls against what old lore says.

Fuck. I was busy all summer and left two snowflakes almost finished, and now I have to check all of this to make sure no one already made one that is too similar.

Rakkan isn't mine. It's Des' flake.

You're Desdemona though.

What you just described is even worse. Graveborn is a terrible flake. Other anons have already argued with you about him a thousand times. I won't get dragged into it, too. He's disqualified. End of story

Who's Reine?

Aside from the fact planeswalkers can't be undead?

He's not undead, he's just beneficially cursed.

Disqualified my ass. Literally all of that is in the realm of possibility in the lore. Things have either done the same thing or went above and beyond what I'm doing with Graveborn. So again, tell me how any of it is lore breaking.

You're adorable.

The guy's doing the project of his own accord, he gets to decide what's included and what's not.

Run your own little flake arena match if you're so butt-flustered. I'm sure we'd love to contribute and participate.

He's not undead. He just controls his undead body.

Nothing about the curse itself benefits him. Only his own creativity to use his abilities benefits him.