E-CAT35SN210_BattleTech_Touring_the_Stars_Butte_Hold.pdf

================================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o6stxR2U5L8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

is there any way to make alpha strike more entertaining

i get that the idea is to get away from taxauditwarrior but shit is super boring, everything dies in four hits or less

The Companion. It adds formation stuff and special pilot rules and whatnot.

If that doesn't work, it's unlikely you'll ever find the game interesting.

we were playing with that. oh well.

I made a thing. Wanted to make something that could annoy gausswalls without going dual gauss as well....it atleast shoots plasma from its face so that's neat.

Triple the AS armor values. AS divides weapon damage by 10, but armor by 30.

>the cheese race is real
I like making high tech nightmares too, but sometimes I just have to shake my head at all of it.

My best counters to that thing are essentially modified Uziel-8S with VSPLs and AES. Also thermobarics.

>laughingSLDFArtillerycommand.png
8 shots of Davy Crockett say hello. If I can't have the planet, then no one will.

Is there a Mackie with Masc? I want one, because reasons.
vodka is the reason

There isn't a problem the Light of Blake can't fix. Especially a fat spaceman with 8 packages of Light.

God help me, I've made your Vodkabomination. It gains a whopping 1 MP for that MASC, and loses the BAP, GECM and 2 extra tons of GR ammo I had on it previously.

Thank you kindly, I don't know why I was rolling random forces for a Megamek match and the idea just came into my head.

I should probably eat something.

Always listen to Vice Admiral Vodka! He has many good ideas, many terrible and nonsensical ones too, but many good ideas nonetheless.

>who puts hardened armor on light mechs?
>people that listen to the spirits of dead tanks, thats who!

Holy fuck does that look fun to play.

It's ok, user. Modern fast-play games aren't supposed to be fun. They're supposed to entertain millenianals during the 6.5 minutes they can tear themselves away from their cell phones and social media. In-depth thought and analysis is hard, so they aren't required, and so there's no sense of reward for doing well. Just pick up the dice and roll; you won't have to use any numbers bigger than you can add or subtract on your hands.

Really, that sort of game is a tacit admission that a 30+ minute playtime for a game extends beyond the average American attention span by a good 20 minutes.

youtube.com/watch?v=o6stxR2U5L8

I wondered how long it would take people to figure this one out. See guys, this is why you slap hardened armor on light mechs, use them as bait!

>goddamn you kids get off my lawn
0/10

So I've been invited to play a Battletech game, where should I start in looking to play well?

Inspired me to do some random late-night 'Mechmaking. I kinda like this little dude. Also sort of shocked the name "Rogue" isn't taken for a BattleMech yet.

What era? Do you know? Do you have any other details for us? Are you being given a force to use or do you need to choose it yourself?

>looking to play well
That comes with time I'm afraid. All I can advise you to do is be mindful of terrain and your heat levels, and try to move tactically so as not to be flanked/backstabbed by fast units. Don't be too hasty to mix it up unless you have a lot of short-range units; picking away at range can be nice for two reasons:
>it picks your opponent apart slowly and forces them to consider if closing with you is a good idea
>expends ammunition that might cook off in a brawl, which is very inconvenient
Plus, if you have any ranged energy weapons, well you might as well fire them as often as you can since no ammo. Just mind your heat levels, as I said. You'll learn the rest like bracket fire and whatnot with time.

Welcome to the game, by the way.

There are eras? Holy shit, what have I gotten myself into. brb gonna ask about the particulars of this campaign

Right, its Age of war, we'll be using classic BattleTech and its a Mechwarrior campaign. None of that means anything to me yet

Okay, so you will probably have a single 'Mech for your character that you control, and likely won't get to choose it, or will have to choose it from a list.

Okay, now is it set during the Age of War, or is the edition you're playing called "A Time of War"? This is important because the former means your BattleMech selections will be very limited, though it will take place in an interesting period of time. The latter means that I know a good deal less about what you're getting into because I only know the tabletop miniature game, not the RPG system.

I have a book labeled A time of war, so my assumption is that im playing the RPG

Ah, alright then. Sadly some other user is going to have to help you with that one; I know basically nothing about that. Hope someone else is around this late.

Well thanks anyway, I'll hang around here for a bit while I read through this huge tome

>I could buy a demicompany of Stingers for the same price
>or three Awesome 8Q's

Jesus Marik-Steiner-Davion, I will never get used to the absurd costs of mechs in the modern era. Have they ever said about fixing any of that soon since a lot of that tech has been in production for almost a century in game?

Age of War? Do you know what faction you're playing? A year would also help a lot, but the faction is the biggest thing to start. Also, if your GM is asking you play in the Era, did they provide you with Era Digest: Age of War, or just A Time of War?

Cbills aren't balanced for shit, and the canon reasons behind it are as flimsy as a Hussar's armor. BV is really all you can look at for balance; Cbills are just there for flavor. But no, really, they don't do a very good job adjusting costs to reflect manufacture quantity/commonality of tech as eras progress.

they're offline right now so I cant ask, but they gave me A time of war and Total Warfare

But...C-bills are the primary (and ONLY) balancing mechanic in the just-released Campaign Companion! Doesn't that make C-bills the primary balancing mechanic?

The thing that fucking sucks is merc pay doesn't go up with those costs over the eras. But I guess if it did, you could introtech swarm the hell out of anything you came accross.

Kinda weird they still use Cbills too. Does it even exist anymore now that C* is bankrupt? And didn't it tank in value after Gray Monday anyway? That's the problem with the whole wrecking the network thing they didn't really cover. And that got compounded after Levin killed what was left of the robes.

Hmm. Well if we're assuming late Age of War, so that you can actually pilot mechs, you're not looking at a wide variety. 2575 is the start of the Reunification War, so this chart shows what you would have possible access to. But without a little more information, I can't give anything definitive.

A shock! The only book devoted to accountantech is the only one to use C-Bills as a mechanic. C-Bills are not a balancing mechanic and never have been. I'd take tonnage balancing over that.

>Kinda weird they still use Cbills too. Does it even exist anymore now that C* is bankrupt?
It was vaguely abstracted as being used still since the C-Bill was the cost of transmitting something like 1mb of data over the HPG network, so it would still be in use even without a ComStar. The HPG Blackout however, has meant that Houses and other factions are paying in local currency, so get ready to get fucked over with exchange rates.

yeah I'll get back to you when I have more information

people still use dollars in the real world despite the fact that the spanish empire is no longer a thing

>the CapCon invented the Thunderbolt
Hory shet really?

The old definition of the CBill was the cost to transmit one page of fine text the pulse distance of one station. Which I guess would be like thirty kilobytes of data.

Imagine the cost to do all those crazy holofeeds and stuff the Successor Lords used to do.

The US dollar is not the Spanish dollar, completely different currency. Even the name Spanish dollar was a nickname for the 8 real.

Good luck with the game, though hopefully your GM will give you more information. You're welcome to come back to us with more questions.

Fuck you roundeye! You think arr Caperrans act rike Maximirrian?

>Imagine the cost to do all those crazy holofeeds and stuff the Successor Lords used to do.
IIRC, one of the novels had the price of Katherine's direct line to Tharkad costing as much as an assault mech for a short conversation.

I just didn't expect them to have created two of the best/most iconic troopers in the game. Honestly though, given their size and resource base, it makes sense.

Yeah I'd always assumed it was an SLDF or Steiner design, personally.

We always knew it predated the SLDF. I always figured it was Terran like the Mackie.

that's my point, names stick even when currencies fade.

The fluff goes all the way back to the old Capellan Housebook. The Earthwerks entry specifically mentions it starting on Tikonov and being responsible for the "distinctive Capellan Thunderbolt and Vindicator". Though at the same time Ceres has always been stated as the makers of the Vindicator, but at least not in the Ceres Metals info on the same page as the EW entry, so yeah.

I guess we just have to assume that over time EW just moved all the Thud production to elsewhere, or maybe the Thud line on Tikonov just got wrecked to accommodate the "Capellans can't build anything bigger than Vindicators after the 1SW" bit.

The Tikonov line was still intact in 3025 IIRC. Pretty sure they made them on Grand Base too. I'd have to double check both of those, but I'm pretty confident they still made it at least at one location, even if the production runs were just Quintin Atlas factory levels.

Caps didn't have a lot of production in 3025 though. My list says.

Locust
Stinger
Vindicator
Wolverine
Rifleman
Thunderbolt
Cataphract
Victor

>2500

Best year.

The fluff has changed a bit over the years, and could be inconsistent in the first place. For instance it was stated the Capellans ended up not being able to produce mechs heavier than 60 tons like the Vindicator entry TRO 3025, but it also stated they had lost all but one mech production facility during the 1st SW, while the Liao housebook lists them having eight.

Nowadays it seems to be more vague and definitely states shortages but not necessarily complete lack of production capability. The 3039 Cataphract entry says "Carver V fell to the Free Worlds League in 2953, stripping the Capellan Confederation of vital heavy and assault BattleMech production lines" and "the Confederation found itself desperately short of heavy BattleMechs during the final years of the Third Succession War. " for example.

Still waiting for his flamer Nova video.

??? Details?

Didn't the Caps have a Jägermech line as well? I could have sworn they were building it.

>Jaegermech
But why? The mech is miserably terrible.

>Capellans
>Not building terribad mechs
>Not getting fucked by FedSuns

Choose two and only two

Its like a roided out Panther, I like it.

Thanks, I like strapping Hardened Armor to Light 'Mechs. Have the 1L Wasp variant made into a hoppy brawler. Split the SRM4 into twin SSRM2s to help with durability, but I may change it back since the SSRM4 has a better cluster table than twin 2s. A Wasp with Hardened Armor is gonna make anybody do a double-take.

Roided out Panther? I've got you.

You're thinking of the Dracs.

Streaks don't roll cluster, every missile hits.

>tfw can tank PPCs in a 20 ton mech
>tfw not even gauss rifles can one shot a side torso.
I like this flying underweight commando.

CA you 'avin a giggle m8? I can understand the Large REEEE laser but the others, plz.

This is the sort of thing I could see Sea Fox assisting in the creation of. A mixed tech version with a small cockpit can mount a partial wing for 6/8/8.

I'm gonna have to tinker with Hardened Lights just to see what kind of monsters I can come up with.

Banshees are SLDF era right? So one wouldn't be out of place in a Davion lance circa 3025?

>CA you 'avin a giggle m8? I can understand the Large REEEE laser but the others, plz.
Muninn wanted an "advanced" variant of pic related, so I obliged. It actually isn't too bad. It just runs hot as fuck.

There were 5000 Banshees produced between 2475 and 2765. So yes, Banshees would be acceptable in the 3020s AFFS.

If you reference , you'll see it was the third 'mech design ever, so yeah, pretty old. Thousands produced, available to everyone, generally looked down on after the Age of War until the Lyrans started upgunning them.

Banshees are found in second-line and milita units just about everywhere in 3025, so unless it's an elite unit, it'd be a normal enough thing to see

>can't jump
not panther/10

You sound angry. Like some kind of dinosaur.

They're gutted hulks left behind by the Word or given to the Republic with Dieron. The same with my jumping Dragon. Basically, the DCMS gives up mechs, but they're the frame, engine and cockpit, with no weapons. Solely to troll Stone and get concessions from the Republic.

An assault mech in militia units? was the banshee that bad?

Yeah I would take your original design over the REEEE. But I am a heavy proponent of Snubbies and MMLs plasma rifles are justice too

I would like to see half tonnages for all ammunition, just like MGs. Why isn't this a thing yet? We can stick two bins of ammo into a super heavy but we cant have half bins for anything else?

the banshee 3E has a ppc, ac5, and sl.

so yes, emphatically yes.

The original -3Q model was, yes. Making a 95-tonner go 4/6 without an XL engine requires some pretty serious sacrifices in firepower; one PPC and an AC/5 (arguably the second-worst weapon in the game), with NO secondaries would be bad on a 55 tonner, let alone 95, and their minimum range is a serious issue, since the only thing the banshee is genuinely good at is kicking mechs to death, but it's main weapons can't hit for shit at that range.
There's still a reasonable amount of potential for a custom job that doesn't involve changing the engine, though; replacing the AC/5 with pretty much anything will help

Durr, -3E, not-3Q. Dunno where I got that from

It's a fat Grasshopper, and you love it.

Yeah, I'm an oldfag. I make that mistake sometimes for some reason its because I'm a grog who also likes newer era stuff but is forgetful.

I was actually gonna do a Stinger 3G refit with Hardened Armor, twin R-e MLs, 6/8/6. Maybe I still will?
>no JJs
Me or my son, etc.

>flying underweight Commando
... and really, that's what it is. Huh. Well, huzzah?

>partial wing
You, I like you.

As has been said, Banshees are found everywhere, but the Steiners have the most, and have the best SW-era variant by a long shot. I am partial to the FWL version though myself. A fat, terrible Hunchback is what it really is.

>JumpDragon
>Gauss
MWO/10

>MWO/10
Fun fact. I've played MWO for a sum total of maybe 12 hours, and I'm a founder. And that variant predates the game by a good 6 years.

"For an extra four mega-Kerenskies we'll slap a HarJel system on that bitch. You have to sign a waver refusing to bid it in contractual/sales disputes though"

>An assault mech in militia units? was the banshee that bad?
Very much so. It's desperately over-engined and underarmed, and even the mods are kind of shit until the Steiners popped in a new engine and bashed a Whammy arm and left-over Wolverine guns onto it. In particular, the legs and arms have shitty armor (21/26), and since its only real use is in melee that means you wind up either using it as a giant, non-jumping Panther or

Variants:
-3M: PPC and ML in each side torso, 16 sinks. Feels kinda like a Quad Marauder.
-3MC: Drops sinks, MLs to go AC/10 and PPC
-3Q: AC/20 and 30 rounds of ammo. In a massive, six-slot torso bomb with no padding. Good luck.
-3S: Shitloads of sinks, rapetastic close-range battery, twin peepers for long-range fighting. Other than the armor, it's pure sex on a shingle, and gives the Atlas a run for its money.
Reinsblatt: Drops the -3S's PPCs and SRM for an LRM-10, LL, and hatchet. Scary AF in heavy terrain.

-3Mr: Swaps the PPCs and MLs for ER versions, slaps in freezers. Not great, or even good, but better than the -3M.
-5S: Like the -3S but with a Gauss, ERPPCs, and XL. Speed's back up to 4/6. Very, very dangerous but has heat problems, shitty ammo, and rear-mounted guns.
"Sawyer" - Drops an ERPPC and sinks to mount jump jets.
"Vandergriff" - Drops the Gauss to an LB-10X, kills the rear lasers, and cuts the SRM to a -4 to add jets. 3/10, would not recommend.
-6S: HGR carrier with an LB-10X backing it up.
-7S: Drops an ERPPC from the -5S load for an LFE, boosted armor, and a better weapon arrangement. No more heat problems.
-8S: The Berzerker's little brother.
-9S: Comped HPPC and Gauss, plus the standard Banshee CC array.

-9S2 (DA) - adds a C3BS and drops most of the CC array for a comped LPPC/HPPC/Gauss battery. Startlingly effective in skilled hands.

>BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay

It'll be shit.

I like it, very nasty up close
My general go-to 4/6 3025 banshee is one that keeps the PPC and trades the AC for a LL and quad MLs, giving it decent firepower at all ranges without any explosives onboard

My comment still stands. It just strikes me as something someone would do in the game is all, given what I know of it. Frankly the only reason I care it exists at all is that we get the great-looking 'Mechs out of it for minis and for the new vidya coming out.

>you wind up either using it as a giant, non-jumping Panther or
*or losing half your "firepower" before you get in range to use it.
'scuse me.

Also, the -3Q gets a lot better if you swap two or three tons of -20 ammo for lasers. As per >A fat, terrible Hunchback is what it really is.

I think part of the trick is that when a Panther stops jumping but runs faster, and especially when it adds lasers, it starts to look more like a Daimyo.

The PNT 9ALG in CM:kurita drops the jets and upgrades the engine to move at 5/8.

So it'll fit in well with everything post-3038. What's the problem.

Funny thing about the 3Q is that in later eras it's one of the few AC/20s that has the capacity to effectively use stuff like precision or AP ammo.

Reposting my later era application of the concept, going full super Hunchback.

I'll give you 3025/3150, I can actually believe you have this much shit taste

It's set in 3025. The SuperGrog era is threatened!

Also, so far it looks solid, and the devs have a decent rep. I'm hopeful - not pre-order hopeful, but hopeful nonetheless.

Are there any love stories currently going on in the fluff?

Besides between Malvina and Cynthy, of course.

Which is the best hunchback variant?

>1st-gen grognard

Sad that all the fanbase's cancers eventually wash up here. These threads go quite well when the haters aren't on.

Daoshen and his sister IIRC.

I like the Lyran one with the LBX-20, but then I'm a purist. Generally the various swaybacks are the best. Just look for whichever has the best heat/damage ratio.

All the other entanglements I can think of are either incestuous or have had at least one of the people involved killed.

its been a while since i've played on megamek. I've got a question for yall, whats the point of infantry? I know vees have their little uses but I don't see what good infantry has

the 5P is decent. so is the 6P with the LPPCs

Proper Hunch? The 5S. Otherwise various swaybacks might compete.

Pure humor value? The one that a guy slapped a supercharger on a damaged one and Hogarth's kid was like "YES, A PROPER LYRAN SCOUT MECH! WE'LL TAKE A THOUSAND!"

oh shit the 5S, not the 5P

Spotting for artillery and indirect fire.
Can be brutal at point blank range. Good against units with no AI weaponry. Effective in heavy cover like buildings.

Two words: Field Guns. That includes field artillery.

ThisStick them inna building, you can stick A LOT of them inna building. So much that you will be sure the lord and savior of /k/ had manifested itself and now stares balefully in your direction.

Do we have anything set after that last book that came out? Whats his name is awake now and he sees that the inner sphere is in a bad way so then....?

Most recent is the bits and bobs we got in TRO:3150 which was a five year jump ahead of any other info we had.

>tfw no old ass Sunny Boy and Satan Stoner cripple fight ever
Only good use of those two being in cryo.