Biard game general thread continued please? Ok!

Biard game general thread continued please? Ok!

>what are your top 10:
favorite games?
games by genre?
essential/"important" games?

>What games have you added to your collection recently and how are they?

> what was the last game you played? Did you win?

> biard
Lol

Last game i played.... hmm i think it was epigo and i lost :p great game

thread dead on arrival

Rude

Last game I was played was dominion, got 3rd

eldritch horror is on sale on amazon for about 35 bucks. really tempted to pull the trigger

not trying to be rude, it's just that the last two threads didn't fair well and both of them had board game general in the op

*drools* how long did it rake to amass such a collection?/when did you first get into the hobby?

I just got into the hobby myself around june, and i just wanna buy everything at once!! I dont think ill be adequately satisfied unless im buying 7 or 8 games at a time!!!!

Gah! I need more $$$ lol

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah it doea seem sorta like that, where startung off too strong will just cause everyone to gang up on you... idk it just looks so cool mostly because of the different monsters...

Thanks for the feedback! Catacombs did look pretty rad but 3 main reasons i favor getting dungeon fighter:
1- catacombs isnt fully coop like dungeon fighter is, you always need someone to play against everyone else
2- i generally like both mechanics fine, but dungeon fighter seems to have more variety and replayability
3- the price!!! Need i say more?? The price !! :((

Ideally i would get both... and in all honesty catacombs seems like it could be a lot better than dungeon fighter, but the price is a deal breaker... i realize also that the old version may be cheaper if bought uses however, i feel as though the newer version is better in every way so ... idk, wish i could find a decently priced new copy =-=

If anybody knows where such a thing is or if/when elzra is planning to make more please let me know! Im aware that theres a new version, the castles thing, coming out. Idk if i want that....

Shit man i found someone selling cutthroat caverns and all expansions for 80 plus shipping and i reallt wanna get that but idk if its a good ide slme one senf help

>biard
missed my highlight filter
he's probably right

played The King is Dead 2v2 (won handily) and The Grizzled w/ At Your Orders! (won with Last Stand).

TKID 4-player is actually really nice. You have a lot more incentive to play cards early and a lot more cubes get shuffled around. I thought it'd be weird trying to help a team-mate without talking strategy, but it was actually pretty fun trying to guess what the other was planning.

First Grizzled play with the expansion. I like the new mission cards, but easy missions really babied us. It was still a close game, and we just barely eeked a win.I really wish they included a new player aid to keep the changed rules straight
That's just barely cheaper than buying everything new (in America)

From.amazon, i calculated total to be 142.67.. but i guess it depends where u get em from. Also the $80 offer is for all new still shrinkwrapped.

are there any boardgames like the movie downfall? not wargames that include the fall of berlin, but games where you're either trying to defend or get to the fuherbunker. I imagine gameplay would be similar to days of ire: budapest

>misspelling board
>not putting bgg in OP
It's like you're trying to make me look through every other fucking thread in the catalog to find this one

>thread title doesn't contain board
>or bgg

It's like you don't want people to be able to find the thread using the catalog. user's right, thread dead on arrival. Someone make another one, include the pastebin and make it better please.

Then that's a fair price. Miniature Market has everything for about 90-100, but I know for sure I paid less

What should I try to buy next after Mage Wars Academy/Arena? I've been thinking maybe in a deck builder but often it annoys me the card I just need for the deck pops out just after I'm left without resources.
also I've considered Ashes but their innner policy of having certain heroes as pre-order bonus puts me off

I don't know if I should bump the thread.

Maybe go for a deckbuilder with a fixed market? Trains maybe, for a completely unfamiliar direction? I'd tell you to get Thunderstone but unfortunately it's OOP.

Oop?
I didn't knew that trains was a deck builder.
>AEG
I still can't forgive them for what they did to doomtown

It is, the cards are what you use to build railways (control areas) and stuff, certain cards give additional points at the end of the game, waste cards that clog up the deck, etc. Been on my wishlist for a while but just can't justify the price yet.

Also, I'm saying this under the assumption that
>but often it annoys me the card I just need for the deck pops out just after I'm left without resources
is referring to the usual complaint with random market deckbuilders (no planning ahead), but a neat way of alleviating this is by flipping the top card for the market deck face up. Not sure if it works for other games, but the Cthulhu Realms app does this, and since you're usually only able to buy 1-2 cards per turn, knowing the next card that's coming up produces an interesting decision: buy card(s) and not afford the new card, possibly letting the opponent get it, or waste your coins this turn to not buy anything and let it pop into the market on the opponent's turn.

Sorry if you're talking about something different though.

Oh no. It's what I,ve been referring to. >Flip up the next card
Why I've never thought on that

>what are your top 10:
- favorite games?
Shadows of Brimstone, Escape : The Curse of the Temple, Legendary Encounters Alien/Predator, Suburbia, Karuba, Shogun (the Wallenstein remake), Pandemic, Lords of Waterdeep, Catacombs, Betrayal at House on the Hill.
- games by genre?
Would take too long, man.
- essential/"important" games?
I don't really believe in such a thing. Everybody's got different tastes.

Roll for the Galaxy & The Prodigals Club. Havent been able to try em out yet.
Playing shadows of brimstone solo almost everyday lately. Succeeded on the last adventure, so yay.

200 games guy here
>Collection
I got into the hobby when I heard there was a doom board game in 2005 (I'm a HUGE fan of the original Doom Videogame), the fantasy flight booklet had ads for Arkham Horror, so I bought that, then I found board game geek, and the dice tower. The rest is history
I cull games from the collection regularly. Got rid of about 30 games earlier this year. Arkham Horror is no longer in my collection (I like Eldritch Horror much more).

>Catacombs
I honestly didnt know it was more expensive than Dungeon Fighter. I had the original edition, and then I kickstarted the new one.
Honestly, you wouldnt guess that from the size of my collection, but I'd rather buy 1 expensive game that's a great experience, than 2 games I find okay. Dungeon Fighter was in my collection for a very short time before I got rid of it. But I can see the appeal of having a fully coop game, being a fan of coops myself (just check out my top ten)

>Got rid of about 30 games earlier this year.
>He regularly gets rid of more games than I own.

I am not worthy.

well if we keep the thread bumped, people will find it based on the image

the previous thread had both board game general and bgg in the subject and it died after 3 posts, so we're already doing better.

>favorite games?
Ankh Morpork, Gemblo, Carcassone, Guillotine, 404: Law Not Found, Saboteur, Shadow Hunters, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Word Whimsy, Shave A Sheep
>the other two
Way too nebulous, so I ain't doing 'em and you can't make me
I bought that new version of Star Wars Risk - I keep meaning to seel my mum on it by telling her it's Risk you can finish within an hour or so
Several rounds of Gemblo with my parents - I managed to get rid of all my tiles in several games, but my dad cleaned up in the last two games.

I've been tempted by that black series star wars risk. never played queen's gambit, but people really love that game and a lot of people say this is pretty similar.

Sorry friend i honestly dont have a good excuse for goofing that hard lol

do you like background music when you play? do you try and make the music fit with the theme of the game you're playing? like drone or not so harsh noise for a horror game or the Victoria 2 soundtrack for your industrial revolution games

So I didn't even know that boardgames were a prevalent thing aside from Sorry, and Monopoly. Anyone have a long game that I can play with a a single other person to a bunch of people?
I like dice!

Terra Mystica is good if you want to go in deep, but doesn't have dice. In fact it doesn't have any randomness at all, except for during setup

There aren't a lot of games that are both good with 2 as well as more players

>like Love Letter, Cypher, Coup
>meh Coup's expansion, One Night Ultimate Werewolf
>didn't like One Night Ultimate Werewolf Daybreak, Sushi Go

help

So is arkham horror suppose to be more like a dnd campaign?
Because i want either that or eldritch but eldritch doesnt look as immersive considering youre globehopping instead of surviving in a small town.

Also any opinion on codenames?
I only started this hobby recently with dead of winter, resistance, and cosmic encounter. A minority of my group hates winter since they have an attention span of a gnat when its not their turn while everyone loves cosmic and resistance. Any game suggestions?

Maybe try Memoir 44, pretty fun 2 player game. Jaipur for something lighter. Also Flashpoint or Pandemic for co-op.

Time to go into anything even slightly heavier. Look for the recommendation pictures in previous threads.

Sheriff of Nottingham or Cash n Guns maybe?

>what are your top 10 essential/"important" games?
Ultimately it depends on what you want and what your gaming group is like, but imo:
10.) Eldritch Horror
9.) Agricola/Caverna (Doesn't matter which one, but my personal preference is Caverna.)
8.) Pandemic
7.) Through the Ages (Any edition)
6.) Mage Knight
5.) Galaxy Trucker
4.) Any Vital Lacerda games.
3.) Castles of Burgundy
2.) Ticket to Ride
1.) Terra Mystica

Keyflower. Shit's great. One of the best bidding games I've ever played.

Keyflower. I won but that's because I had nobody else to play it with.

Luckily, OP got the image right, at least, else finding the general woulda been a lot harder.

>top 10 favorite games I own in no particular order
Netrunner
Chaos in the Old World
Twilight Imperium 3
Five Tribes
Imperial Assault
Starcraft
Viticulture
Neuroshima Hex
Mage Wars Arena
Power Grid

>recently purchased
Cosmic Encounter - it's alright if you don't mind a random light ameritrash, not my favorite but fun with the right crowd
Broom Service - easy to teach, nice family game, just the right amount of meanness
Coup G54 - added variety is good, revised rules are fine

>last played
TtR: Europe trying to get a couple hooked on cardboard crack, so I played poorly on purpose, got just enough points to soothe my ego

honestly, super long dice heavy games aren't all that common any more. tastes have changed. a lot of people dislike the randomness of dice, and many can't stand it in a long game. modern gaming is usually broken up into two large families. euro and american games. american games typically feature a good amount of dice and often in the form of failure checks. think d&d and risk. euros on the other hand are less random, but also are often without as much theme. it's not uncommon for little wooden cubes to represent the main items in a euro game, while american games often have plastic figures (making them more expensive). you'll probably want american style games. also it really depends what your definition of long is. 2 hours? 4 hours? 8 hours?

your best bet will be looking into games published by fantasy flight games. they make high quality american games. twilight imperium 3 can take 4+ hours. it's a space exploration and political negotiation game that includes dice rolling. people who like ti3 often consider it their favorite game.

if you're into co-op check out eldritch horror. if you're a crazy man you could also check out arkham horror. both are lengthy, with arkham being lengthier and fiddlier, and both use dice quite a bit.

codenames is easily the best party game I've ever played and it's gone over well with literally every single person I've played it with. it's best with at least 4 players, and even more fun with more.

Im interested....
>age
Im 22
>area
I live near los angeles

How bout you?

american games are also often called ameritrash or thematic games. thematic is better since it's actually descriptive, while ameritrash is tongue in cheek

american games often include dice rolling, direct player conflict (I attack you), and a dedication to creating a theme. that can be a great thing, but it can also lead to a game having tons of tiny little rules for very rare occurrences. that's the fiddliness that a lot of people dislike

some more examples
cosmic encounter - beloved by many. the big draw is that there are tons of races with vastly different powers so games will play very differently, and it's also almost 100% player negotiation
dune (now only available as twilight imperium: rex) was designed by the same people as cosmic and is almost just as beloved. not as many different races, but they do play very differently. it's also a game of direct player conflict and negotiation. some dislike the loss of the dune license, many don't mind
descent 2nd edition - dungeon crawler where either 1 player or an app controls the dungeon and the other players fight back. there's also star wars imperial assault which is the same game with some rule tweaks and a heavy coat of star wars paint. for many people it has replaced descent
war of the ring - lord of the rings where one player is sauron and the other fights back
zombicide - the figure heavy zombie dungeon crawler
mansions of madness - more cthulhu horror. newest edition is the app vs players

and now for hybrid and more euro style games that still feature lots of dice

pandemic the cure - fully co-op game where dice represent both the diseases you're trying to cure and the actions you can do each turn. you roll and then decide what to do, rather than decide what to do and roll to see if you succeed

fuse - you're trying to defuse bombs before time runs out. features a 10 minute timer. you get little cards and you appropriately place dice in order to defuse them

dice town - basic poker + yahtzee

kingsburg - roll dice, decide what resources you want based on the dice, use resources. you can add up dice or use them on their own. once the 8 value resource is claimed this turn it can't be claimed again, so you need to prioritize what's most important to you

roll for the galaxy - tons of custom dice. too much to condense into two sentences. worth looking into though

alient frontiers - use dice to colonize a planet

escape curse of the temple - another 10 minute timed game. roll dice to explore tiles. find the gems, and get out before time runs out