Did you ever play in 1940s time period?

Do you have any desire to? Do you have anything interesting ideas for an adventure?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48424701/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_blacklist
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taft-Hartley_Act#Effects_of_the_act
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Monetary_Fund#History
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Organization#History
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Capone#Later_years_and_death
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truman_Doctrine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_America#Cold_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermes_(missile_program)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan#Marshall.27s_speech
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Clock#History
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Yeager#Test_pilot_.E2.80.93_breaking_the_sound_barrier
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls#Discovery
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_in_Black#Ufologists
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bug#Etymology
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Robinson#Breaking_the_color_barrier_.281947.29
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19th_Academy_Awards#Awards
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Slater_(broadcaster)#Sports_broadcaster
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Streetcar_Named_Desire_(play)#Original_Broadway_production
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Tried to, but the gm changed the game to text only half way into the second or third session. In the same session he surprised us with a very long and very autistic guide on how to type like a 40s person. Neither the gm or any of the players were a linguist.
I played a gaunt, chain smoking old sea captain who always carried his wife's pearl earrings in his pocket.

All the time, pal.

The 40s are split.

They start with WW2 in full swing all over Europe, Asia, and the Atlantic. Especially the Asian WW2 has been mostly ignored by genre fiction. By 1942 the Pacific has joined in. And it concludes in 1945, almost seamlessly beginning the Cold War.

At that point you basically get a proto 50s setting, the Atomic Age, and an international power structure that mostly holds even today.

It is an age of change. The old world has ended for good, politically, socially, economically, and technologically.

It will be hard to convey exactly where in this process their part of the world is in right now to the players - not impossible, but it will take a little work.

Nah, I never got chance to because I wasn't born yet.

I'd love to do a 30s-40s game, though I think my ideal would work best for a single player. Can't really see a whole party of private eye PCs.

Try A Dirty World...

Thanks for the tip, user.

You mean a WW2 game? Yeah.

Kek.

I actually started a superhero game in 1947 New York.

I'm trying to think of ideas and have sort of a rough plot, but more ways to expand upon the city and people in it, would be awesome. I figure at some point I might make a thread for it though, specifically.

Godlike?

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48424701/

In the UK, "1940s game" basically either Battle of Britain or Normandy.

I've had some GMs try and build interest in a Gurps WW2 game, but it's never taken off. I'd love to give American noir a go, but nobody else is interested. I'm doing a game of Mutant Chronicles at the moment though and that gets fairly 1940s once you enter the "main" period of the setting.

This is after the war though, but that's pretty cool, I think I can get some ideas from it. Thanks.

>1947 New York.
>I'm trying to think of ideas
With Nazi saboteurs threatening to cripple the New York shipyards at a crucial time in the war, Roosevelt had to come to an agreement with the East Coast Mafia families to protect the ports and docks. This deal has now come due.

That's exactly what I had in mind, things either historical or just interesting to pepper about the city.

A type XXI submarine with a super weapon on board has been lost since the war. The crew had a little mutiny and took the U-boat on a piracy spree along more lonely trade routes, killing the victims and sinking any evidence. Easily restocking fuel and food from their victims, they have run out of torpedoes and ammunition except for their doomsday device. Hm... what would be a good coastal metropolis to hold ransom?

Of course they don't just surface in the East River and start broadcasting demands. They sneak up the Hudson, put agents ashore, and start looking for weapons with ammo to equip their vessel with. If they can they will sneak out again without ever making any public statement. Would a few Army trucks gone missing raise any eyebrows at peacetime?

Ultimately it might prove more prudent to give them what they want and let them go on pirating. A few ships every year are easier to write off than Manhattan.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_blacklist

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taft-Hartley_Act#Effects_of_the_act

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Monetary_Fund#History

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Organization#History

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Capone#Later_years_and_death

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truman_Doctrine

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_America#Cold_War

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermes_(missile_program)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan#Marshall.27s_speech

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Clock#History

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Yeager#Test_pilot_.E2.80.93_breaking_the_sound_barrier

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls#Discovery

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_in_Black#Ufologists

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bug#Etymology

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Robinson#Breaking_the_color_barrier_.281947.29

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19th_Academy_Awards#Awards

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Slater_(broadcaster)#Sports_broadcaster

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Streetcar_Named_Desire_(play)#Original_Broadway_production

Thanks, this is a great list.

Neato that would definitely make for a good threat.

Yup

Depends on system and setting. Whenever I go 1940s it's usually some Cthulhu or pulp shit.

Or... both?

I had a DM once say "Hey, let's play a d20 Modern WWII game. Nazi superscience and occult shit everywhere!" We got several sessions in, I chose to play a pencil-pusher who used Forgery and similar underhanded skills to subvert bureaucracy and shuffle Jews and similar untouchables out of Germany and into Britain. The final session that we finished involved pulling a heist on the Louvre, which was almost successful without a hitch, save for the village idiot (of the group) mucking up everything forever for everyone. We managed to achieve our objective (smuggling out a Da Vinci piece that included codes heavily covered by Nazi scientists) at the price of our faces becoming known. And that's where the campaign ended.

My PC had no less than 3 alternate identities, many avenues for disguise and subterfuge, plus at least one Nazi contact who thought I was in full support of Der Fuhrer. The Brits had the right idea. Skilled operatives who operated operationally were the proper means to win the war.

BUT... We still never touched the Nazi super science. Beyond having to sabotage a Nazi submarine which may or may not have involved transportation of secret artifacts detailing methods to summon the Old Ones.

So that's my addition. Happy to pitch ideas if further fuel is needed for the fire.

>d20 Modern
So... DM fiat combat?

Nah, DM was a rules lawyer and used RAW combat, which have the shaft to everyone who hadn't purchased a gun or chosen purely powergamey combat choices. kinda like real life.

Really, combat was significant but not more significant than the role-playing choices we were given so it balances out and wasn't an unsatisfying experience. I was just playing next to some distinct morons who were historically illiterate, which was the biggest factor reducing the fun involved.

I had a campaign written up for a 'doomed-to-fail' group of bank robbers operating in the early 40's, a few years after all the greats died or went away. It was supposed to be a lot of avoiding police with the occasional heist to refill the coffers, but the game never took off.

I tend to agree that the 30's or 50's would make a better adventure, unless you're running some kind of WWII campaign, but I like the decade.