Mordhau

How would you handle the Mordhau technique on 5E rules? Do you just turn the slashing damage into bludgeoning? Diminished damage or same? Disadvantage? What if the sword was magic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cwKZorhBLH4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

1d6 bludgeoning weapon.

i wouldn't. not on d&d

There is no purpose for the murder stroke in 5e or DnD in general, because hitting a heavily armored knight with a sword isn't any different from hitting him with a hammer.

Bludgeoning vulnerabilities or slashing resistance.

My rule of thumb is that, if it's logical, I'll drop the damage die by one step.
Longsword as bludgeoning or piercing? 1d6/1d8 versatile.
Want to bash someone with your glaive's haft, or stab them with the end of your halberd? 1d8 of the respective damage type.
Want to do slashing damage with a club? No.

What if I add obsidian plates to the club to make a macanah?

I'd probably stat that as a Handaxe rather than a club, but then you could drop the 1d6 down to a 1d4 and bludgeon someone with it.

Improvised weapon for 1d4 bludgeoning. It's not truly constructed to work as a war hammer so no bonus for weapon similarity.

Longswords now deal every type of damage.

It's main purpose is stunning and knocking out armored enemies. Can you do that in 5E?

You could lower the damage to 1d4 (same as a club) and force the person being attack to make a dex or str save or be knocked prone.

Attacking while prone gives disadvantage and attempting to stand up while in melee range gives an attack of opportunity allowing them to knock you back down. There might also be a way to limit the person being knocked down to one action (stand and be hit, attack with disadvantage, or roll away and be attacked)

Am I the only one who would be worried about cutting my hands up swinging a sword by the blade? I know they wear leather gloves under the gauntlet, but the sword is sharp enough to chop through garbage armor, why wouldn't it just slice through my garbage gloves and my garbage flesh armor?

I dont have a diagram, but the entire blade is not sharpened and without a proper thrust or swing the parts that are sharp wont be able to cut through a proper gauntlet.

A player can always declare that a melee attack that drops a target to 0HP knocks the creature out (unconscious + stable.)

What would a Mordhau add to D&D combat game-wise? I'm not familiar with 5e, but I'd assume you'd just use improvised weapon or some kind of stun maneuver rules for it.

It doesn't cut you because blades need to move to cut you. If you grip the blade tightly enough and don't give it room to slide, then it's not going to cut you.

>youtube.com/watch?v=cwKZorhBLH4

It's an improvised weapon. 1d4 bludgeoning damage.

I'd let a player get something made with it in mind or modify a cross guard to increase the damage, but it's definitely an improvised weapon.

Which only a handful of mobs have.

Which is why you'd think twice on buying a bludgeoning weapon exclusively for them, instead of adapting your slashing weapon for them.

It could give you a non-magical means of inflicting a status effect like dazed or knocking them prone or giving you a level of versitility when dealing with monsters/people who can resist or negate certain damage types.

I wouldn't play a non-magical character in D&D because its rules for conventional combat are garbage. The logic that made the mordhau a thing doesn't exist in D&D. Same could be said for pretty much every aspect of historical fencing.

>mobs
Kill yourself.