Fantasy RPG

After getting tired of D&D and its derivatives, I am looking for another sword and sorcery RPG that will let me brew my own setting.

Specifically I want to find a game that uses a point buy system rather than a level system, and doesn't have hard classes like D&D does. Think something closer to WoD or Shadowrun. Ideally I would want to see something that puts less stock into combat, so fights would be shorter than they are in 3.5 at least, and be less prominent in the game as well. Having a dice system that offers more granularity than a d20 or a single d6 as the main resolution mechanic would be great as well. Does Veeky Forums have any recommendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

dungeonworldsrd.com/
dr-kromm.livejournal.com/196522.html
mediafire.com/folder/4yp0nryi0o7na/Witcher_-_A_Game_of_Imagination
i.yuki.la/tg/1460808347572.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I am looking for another sword and sorcery RPG that will let me brew my own setting.
Uh, you know that D&D will let you brew your own setting, right?

Anyways, what you want is Barbarians of Lemuria.

No.

The game he really wants is a Song of Ice and Fire Role Playing Game.

>D&D lets you brew your own setting
To an extent. The cosmology in D&D is fixed however. There is still going to be a plane of negative energy, positive energy, and a system of ethics that are common to all settings in D&D. I will look at Lemuria, thank you for the advice.

>The cosmology in D&D is fixed however.
Nah, even that is fluff that you can throw away without damaging the system.

GURPS

Races and classes are just templates you spend points on, and with the Player's book rules combat is simple enough.

It still doesn't have any of the mechanical things I am looking for

OP what you want is Dungeon World

It's pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there. It has fast easy to use mechsnics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot cheaper than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars. There is no reason for extra rules when it is he role playing that matters. Dungeon World is fast and innovative and still feels exactly like the spirit of ADND before DnD 3.5 destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of role players.

You want fast, intuitive combat? Dungeon World does that.

You want real, deep roleplaying mechanics? Dungeon World does that.

You want great mechanics that reward diversity of play? Dungeon World does that as well.

My last session of Dungeon World my human fighter wrapped a vampire in a bear hug and wrestled him out a window. This is real roleplaying we are talking about here, not babby 3.5 shit. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Dungeon World today, it is an evolution and perfection of the half-formed ideas in Apocalypse World (the game it is derived from)

>OP what you want is Dungeon World
No you don't, OP. Do not listen to this user, he is an idiot who thinks he needs rules to dictate his roleplaying.

I explicitly don't want anything with a set in stone class system, but thanks for bumping the thread I guess

I'm pretty sure that he is jus trolling

GURPS Fantasy, GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. You can get resources in the GURPS thread. Start with GURPS-lite to become acquainted.

Point-buy, very customizable, many non-combat oriented skills, 3D6 roll-under system.

Nope, in Dungeon World the fiction goes first, as opposed to fake "roleplaying" games like D&D 3.5 and GURPS, where the roleplaying takes a backseat to 400 pages of autistic rules.

GURPS is poorly designed trash with redundant stats and unbalanced build options. It focuses on minor autistic details of a character that don't matter, and allow you to get more points for the powerful abilities by loading up on mental illnesses that are quickly forgotten. Sure you can impose a disadvantage limit, but the game is still fucking terrible. Characters die easily resulting in little investment in character, the health / dying system is horrible and results in a shitton of HT rolls until someone finally dies, and there are so many compounded rules for shock, trauma, and bleeding that the game is more of an attempt to simulate autism with dice than an actual game. As for D&D... well, let's just say a game that took five editions to get it right, can't be that good.

A cursory glance tells me that is actually pretty much what I am looking for. I kind of shied away from GURPS because it looks like there is a lot for a GM to learn, but I can't complain when it matches my specifications(Especially non-combat bits). I will read further into it and see if it is for me, thanks user.

>Nope, in Dungeon World the fiction goes first
>that's why the rules tell you who you are and how you feel about everything

How do you people manage to be worse than the GURPSfags when it comes to obnoxious evangelizing and disingenuous overpromising?
Doesn't Ironclaw fit at least most of those requirements? There's a de-furried version if that's a problem for you

>I explicitly don't want anything with a set in stone class system,

I don't think you understand. What you want to play is Dungeon World OP. See, you THINK you don't want classes, but that is only because you have been stuck playing D&D and it's horrible class-based restrictive garbage for years. Dungeon World doesn't do that. Dungeon World makes picking a class a way of opening up opportunities rather than closing off doors. Dungeon World allows you to do whatever you want regardless of what class you are. Really in some ways the classes are just an afterthought. They give you abilities, but they do not limit you like they do in pretty much every other RPG out there.

Also, classless systems do not have the tight focus that makes Dungeon World and it's derivatives such fantstic games. Classless games such as GURPS, FATE, and Savage Worlds are poorly designed (not even going to get into garbage like AFMBE or Unisystem) and lack focus and thus are imbalanced, home to a nest of powergamers who see RPGs as something to win.

So, no, I think you don't actually know quite what you want, OP, because you are thinking of classes in a different light from how they work in Dungeon World.

dungeonworldsrd.com/

Please take a look at this. I think you will find it is far better than D&D or any game you might have played so far.

I might be wrong, but SOIAF seems more tied to its setting than average.

>that's why the rules tell you who you are and how you feel about everything

Please show me where that is true. There is nothing about "feelings" in the Dungeon World rules. There is nothing about who you are in the Dungeon World rules, except for the bonds, which are in fact a perfection of the heavily-flawed Hx mechanics in Apocalypse World. Bonds were such a great mechanic that D&D stole it for their Fifth Edition; however, they executed it poorly, because, at it's core, D&D is not a roleplaying game like Dungeon World is.

>Please show me where that is true.
Check the class descriptions.

>he rules tell you who you are and how you feel about everything

I'm not saying you're wrong to not like Dungeon World, but that isn't actually how it's played.

Nigger, I've read the derivatives. Every class comes with little rule that tells you how to feel about certain things.

WFRP and/or Dark Heresy could be a starting point - can't get much more granular than a d100.
Careers are sort of halfway between between point buy and classes - each career gives you a number of advancement options you can buy with XP. Creating custom careers can add a lot as well.

A second option might be something like Into the Odd or other classless retroclones of OD&D. Fights in old-school D&D are lightning fast and the systems are very lightweight, so there's a a handful of systems that have dropped classes altogether or created point-buy style classes (either buying advancements as you level or rolling on the random table).

>GURPS is poorly designed trash with redundant stats and unbalanced build options
What does "unbalanced build options" mean?
>where the roleplaying takes a backseat to 400 pages of autistic rules.
Optional rules. Don't you guys read the book when it tells you to pick and choose these optional rules you want to follow?
>allow you to get more points for the powerful abilities by loading up on mental illnesses that are quickly forgotten
If you play with awful grognard players and are a terrible beta GM who refuses to make his players take responsibility.
>Characters die easily resulting in little investment in character, the health / dying system is horrible and results in a shitton of HT rolls until someone finally dies, and there are so many compounded rules for shock, trauma, and bleeding that the game is more of an attempt to simulate autism with dice than an actual game.
Then don't stack your combat scenarios like it's a video game. And don't use the OPTIONAL bleeding/wound rules.

You're yet another idiot who thinks if you play GURPS you have to use every side rule the game provides to players who want it. If you don't want hyper-realism then don't use those rules. The game functions on YOUR accord.

SOIAF relies heavily on the setting to bring in players. But, having DM'd it myself, I feel like if you strip out the lore you have a nice low-fantasy system that isn't constricted to class leveling.

You'll have to rename some equipment and the system's version of feats (i.e. "Blood of the Rhoynar") but it wouldn't be too hard. Especially if you want to make your own setting with a bit more focus on political intrigue. And much faster and bloodier combat.

I recommend it if you love d6 systems. SOIAF was my first campaign as DM and I've always wanted to run another.

>You're yet another idiot who thinks if you play GURPS you have to use every side rule the game provides to players who want it.

I don't have to do that with 3.5 either, but it still is a bad system. Guess what nigger, if I'm not using the rules of your game at all cause they all suck, WHY THE FUCK AM I PLAYING GURPS.

To add my own 2 cents.

When I used the SiFRP for a home brew, I changed how powerful the player character were.

The limit for any skill was 4. Adult was the starting point for everyone, along with abilities being made more expensive.

so a 3 was now 20xp, but fighting 3 was 30 xp and so on.

It made a very enjoyable game for me nad my players.

Also fumbled abit with a magic system where you knew as many spless in a Lore (wich was represented as a bnous) casting was split between great/lesser action and ritual.

cost was based on gaining wounds and injuries for they were pretty powerful, but some were scalable in effect and cost.

Thanks for the advice, though ideally I want something that isn't attached to a setting or is a D&D derivative (Don't get me wrong, I love OSR, but I want to play something different).

You're not really explaining why you think the rules aren't good. Could you elaborate?

... Are you talking about the flavor text?

>flavor text
So, I see you're in denial.

Oh damn, you totally are.

I took a group of 4 players with no experience with it to the point where they could handle the simple things like how to roll skill checks and damage in 3 sessions in a super hero game. Pro tips, don't try and play a super hero game, remember how damage types work, don't be afraid to make a call that ignores the fact that you could find the rule for it if you spend 3 minutes looking through the book instead of running the game, I assure you that if they care about it they will tell you how they think it should work and ask in the GURPS General before you get started, they know stuff.

I have to shill for GURPS, and WHFRP 2nd Edition.

GURPS is pretty self explanatory, establish what rules you're going to use and learn them slowly over the course of a few sessions. Don't go diving into all of the splats and say you will use them. You can't on your first go around. Keep shit simple and rule on the fly and you can't go wrong.

Warhammer 2nd Edition is a bit different, there arnt classes per se, but it does use a career system that uses XP to buy up your options. Combat is pretty splashy, but the wounds system will make your players think twice about the "we can just kill it" option. Characters arnt built by point buy, but everything afterward is. Some careers are setting specific, unless you want to steal Slayers and such into your setting.

OP really wants exalted 2e, without the errata.

I will look into Ironclaw. From what the rulebook tells me it is close to what I want. The furry shit is detrimental, so I will see if I can find the defurred material and look at how it stacks up to GURPS.

Here's the tl;dr:

Get everyone the GURPS Lite pdf. It's free and it's the only sourcebook everyone needs.

Then you buy the GURPS Basic Set (two hardcover books), and Dungeon Fantasy 1 and 2 (both are cheap PDFs). Dungeon Fantasy is the "pure hack and slash" version of GURPS but it's good inspiration for keeping the game rules-lite since all the combat and skill options are pre-selected for the genre. You can always play a social interaction game in GURPS; if necessary add back the social options from the Basic Set if you'd like. Social interaction in GURPS is pretty easy but also very rich. Dungeon Fantasy Monsters has pre-generated monsters, which saves a major time sink for gurps gms.

The PDFs are linked in the gurps general thread, so you can review them before you buy them to see if it's up your alley. While you're there, check out Banestorm, the "official" gurps fantasy setting. It is a pretty fresh take on the classic tolkienesque D&Dish setting.

Other supplements that might help you if you go for straight world-building: Martial Arts, Low Tech, and Social Engineering. The two best alternate magic systems are Ritual Path Magic and Sorcery. Both are fully compatible with the rest of GURPS and drop right into a running campaign. Psionic Powers is also good. Most of these are cheap PDF books, and again they float around the net so you can read before you buy.

The only thing you really need to play is the GURPS Lite pdf. That plus the Basic Set gives you 99% of the system. The rest is commentary on how to use the system for a particular purpose, and statlines for particular stuff for particular games.

The game you're looking for is called Symbaroum.

Isn't that a d20 system though?

Hi Anons, someone recommended me Ryuutama RPG, is it ok and is it close to what the OP was asking about?

Don't even fucking joke 'bout that shit nigga.

I wouldn't wish that on Hitler Von Evilstine.

Boku no The Burning Wheel is pretty good assuming that you are fine with the more narrative bits

I would reccomend looking at Mythras (formerly Runequest 6). It is a completely classless point buy system and the rulebook leaves a lot of room for world building and gives plenty of suggestions as well.

It's also a d100 system, so it gives you that granularity you wanted. The combat is pretty complex and drawn out though, however there are ways to abbreviate and compact it so that its less so.

No, you should wait and see what the boxed set will contain:

dr-kromm.livejournal.com/196522.html

>I spent all week on what I spent late January through early August creating. Except that this week was all about planning how to pay for it. The creation? Something GURPS Dungeon Fantasy-related that will come in a box. Paying for it? Stay tuned for a big announcement in the coming week...

Point-buy fantasy? GURPS Fantasy or Runequest/Mythras.

That about sums it up

Shit, that sounds pretty cool. I will have to see what it includes

FATE Core. Its free, fun, and doesnt bias combat over other types of challenge.

>GURPS
Thanks to all you asshats that suggested this, I decided to trade dnd5e for it only to find out about Banestorm.

For the last year I've been worldbuilding a setting almost identical to this without knowing it already existed. The literally only difference between mine and Banestorm is that the humans came around Mesopotamia era. Pic related is the culture map of around 1810 AD.

Thanks for making my idea and myself feel worthless.
>wojak.jpg

Glad to help

Lol great minds think alike...

I spent more than ten years crafting a hard sci fi setting merging the ideas of Bruce Sterling, Alvin Toffler, and Ray Kurzweil. It had realistic space technology, AI, genemods, and no psi.

Then I discovered Transhuman Soace and realized that someone else had thought of everything I had, only better and more thought out. It was stunning.

These things happen.

Your setting IS worthless, senpai.

Out of curiosity, how did you make the map? It reminds of the files that Paradox games use for their maps.

Actually it's exactly that. To get the "core basics" of the world I used a random map generator for EU4, then let it run til.. 1810.
But I've been individually building each country by economics, important people, etc. I've shared it a couple times in worldbuilding threads.

And now... GURPS fucks it all up. But I'm only half as mad now, Banestorm seems way better than mine like said.

Nexus D20.

So... you want Witcher TTRPG? The old one, that Veeky Forums helped translate last summer?
>point buy
checked
>doesn't have hard classes
checked
>something closer to WoD
If you play it dark, sure
>fights would be shorter than they are in 3.5
checked
Average humanoid has 26 HP, average hit by average enemy deals d6+4 damage, and that's just most basic attack by absolutely average humanoid - combat is almost entirely based on skill and stat level, not gear, so good sword is worth less than being good with swords
>having a dice system that offers more granulati than a d20
checked
>a single d6 as the main resolution
well, not checked, but it's d6 based and on average, you roll 3d6 (but it's not 3d6-exclusive system)
Here is the link:
mediafire.com/folder/4yp0nryi0o7na/Witcher_-_A_Game_of_Imagination

Also, GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is a thing

>And now... GURPS fucks it all up
How exactly?

Because as for now this sounds like a wild accusation

This.

Translation is so-so and covers only crunch and related stuff (which is roughtly first half of the book), but it's pretty fun game to play anyway, so go try it.
Extra-noob friendly too

>Not d20 based
>Here, try this d20 game!
Seriously?

BoL isn't very granular I think, but I would also recommend it. It's by far my favorite system at the moment.
Be sure to look into the mythic edition, you can google the pdf and you should find it. It's fairly rules-lite and easily adjusted.

Seconding on Witcher. Translation has it quirks, but really fun to play. Took some serious pain to get monster stats and abilities thou (they are not translated)

You posted this copypasta a few weeks back too.

Reign Enchiridion?

Will this meme ever end?
At least make new pasta

Oh shit I remember this guy from the older gurps splats, I didn't know he was still around

So you want GURPS Lite?

No, I'm serious here, not meming for GURPS. Lite version fits your description perfectly and it's what? 30 pages in total?
And if you will like it, you can always upgrade it to Basic Set for GURPS and then go further and futher if you will like it.

>That feeling when Veeky Forums keep reposting your translation
>That feeling when you don't have time anymore to translate rest of it
>That feeling when nobody in the group can work on it anymore
I feel like a terrible human being for never finishing even the source book's translation.

bump

OP, there's a thing called Class Warfare and it is glorious

i.yuki.la/tg/1460808347572.pdf

my group doesn't use bonds, they're fucking retarded.

you're under the assumption that rules can't be ignored. The beauty of DW is that you can ignore pretty much any rule and it still works

(you)

>DW
>needs rules to dictate his roleplaying
>needs rules

are we talking about Dungeon World? we use DW specifically because nothing is set in stone. it's the perfect homebrew platform

I'd suggest Ubiquity, it actually a pretty robust game system that's not that hard to understand.

5th edition.

I know you said no DnD, but 3.5 is not the norm when it comes to DnD

I only brought up 3.5's combat length as a basis of comparison. I am sure that people can enjoy 5e, but I don't like most of its mechanics hence the specifications in the OP.

this is a copypasta

While you said you didn't want a d20 derivative, you may want to look at Fantasy Craft. They have open character building and have done some things to help balance the game.

Savage Worlds is fine for fantasy, though personally I don't really like their magic system.

Burning Wheel/Torchbearer if you want a very realistic/gritty style of fantasy game.

Iron Kingdoms is fun, though not meant for any setting.

Tri-stat, Hero, and M&M technically can do anything, so worth a mention.

>Savage Worlds

NIGGA STOP THAT, IT'S A FUN RULES MEDIUM GAME. IT'S NOT A DUNGEON WORLD THING. DENSE AS FUCK AND WARGAME BASED. FUCK YOU.

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE TROLLING ME THIS HARD, FUCK.

Seconding BoL. Great system. Sadly, my players are totally buttfuzzled by any system where they have to look at two different numbers to determine a die roll. So I'll probably never get to play it again.

I love how a simple game can cause such a stir in neckbeards circle.

Must be doing something right.

Well I'm convinced. I'll never play Dungeon World.

Every time one of you GURPShova's Witnessess comes on here shinning about how all 800 pages of the game are purely optional, I want to slap you with a fish. The game you like is complicated. Stop fucking pretending it's not.

All Flesh Must Be Eaten and/or Terra Primate + Dungeons & Zombies (and the Serpents & Simians fansplat)

Not OP but also interested in the answers.
I'm about to finish a Pathfinder campaign and I'm already looking for a less bloated system.

I saw some times ago a thread on Veeky Forums about Symbaroum. I just had the time to download the pdfs before it got archived.

The setting and system looks interesting. Does anyone here could tell me if it's a good system ? I'd like something a little low-fantasy that gets combat fast and easy with not too much magical things to worry about.

The game was just meh.

But the amount of constant shitposting and pastas how great it is is just a tiresom meme. And that's what stirs people up.

>Hey, I've got a copy of a system that I've already read
>Can you tell me if it's good or not?
Can you fucking judge for and by yourself?

Reading and field testinng a system are two different things.
I've read about the theory and it liked it, but I'm looking fo what the people who put it into practice think.

Not him, but if you are so unimaginative you can't just read the system and see if it's any good, you shouldn't be a GM, that's for starters.

Dungeon Crawl trolling was the hot new meme back in 2015

>such a stir
In this case it got a lot of replies because it's almost exactly the opposite of what OP asked for.

>If you're not enough of a savant to immediately understand how every mechanic you read will work in practice you need to stay out of my secret club.
Seek help.

I've got nothing to prove to you about my capacity to GM. That's between my players and me. I'm not here to look for a fight or get insulted.

I don't have the time to field test every system I find cool and interesting with my players. That's the crux of why I've come here to ask if Symbaroum translated well ingame.

I've seen shit that makes zero sense in mechanics but makes perfect sense when in practice.

For instance, instead of entire paragraphs of what constitutes being of sapient intelligence, you could simply say "Subject to language-dependent effects". Would it make sense? Not always. Does it work? Absolutely.

Yes, because it takes to be savant to understand 10 pages of text required to graps the system... And somehow I'm the one that should seek help

>Read the book
>Still doesn't have opinion about it
Then don't use it, it's that simple

Also, riddle me this - you want opinion, yet you act smug about it. Then what you need any opinion for? Just don't play this particular game and you should be golden.

Again, if he can't imagine the game with given rules, then the other user shouldn't be using the system nor GMing with it. Either something catch-up with you during the reading, or you go for another game.

I asked for practical experience DM and players could have with the system I asked about. What you gave me was no opinion but a call out on my capacity to GM, something you have no stake in.

My opinion about the damn book is that the fluff is nice and interesting, but I don't know if the crunch plays out well ingame. Stuff like if each combat is a life or death scenario where a player can get killed in one attack. Stuff like if you need to play out twenty fights with bandits to buy a leather codpiece. Stuff like if Martials meant for DPS or tanking, if Magic is meant for DPS or support.

What don't you understand ?

While it would meet the faster combat requirement, the classes in 5th ed are if anything more rigid than 3.5 and it's still a d20 so no increased granularity.

>the classes in 5th ed are if anything more rigid than 3.5

How so, brosky? There are no restrictions on alignment and you can multiclass freely. In 3.5 you couldn't multiclass from a Paladin or a Monk without losing features. So, the classes are actually more fluid, aren't they?

I'm pretty sure he meant the classes themselves, not the multiclass system.

But how, bro?