Most berserkers in fantasy are Mary Sues is there any setting where they display the weaknesses they had in the sagas...

Most berserkers in fantasy are Mary Sues is there any setting where they display the weaknesses they had in the sagas? In case you're not familiar with norse mythology (which considering how this board knows absolutely fuck all is a safe guess) berserkers were said to be very weak once the frenzy is over and even in their pissed off state blunt weapons could rekt them altough they were immune to edged weapons and fire. It's also worth noting in the sagas they still use shields despite magic powers attributed to them but in fantasy they usually are portrayed with two axes or one huge axe which bothers me because dual wielding is fucking edgy and retarded.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1ec1yJLPG54
youtube.com/watch?v=-0U6Y8jJuEE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>is there any setting where they display the weaknesses they had in the sagas?
In the sagas, they were merely champion warriors and their "berserker fury" was nothing more but them pumping themselves up before a fight the same way modern rugby players might pump themselves up before a game. Go fuck yourself, OP. You know nothing of the sagas.

Wew monks would have a nice boost from barbarians getting a blunt damage weakness.

Just imagine a horde of Orc barbarians running for their lives from a few halfling monks.

>This fury, which was called berserkergang, occurred not only in the heat of battle, but also during laborious work. Men who were thus seized performed things which otherwise seemed impossible for human power. This condition is said to have begun with shivering, chattering of the teeth, and chill in the body, and then the face swelled and changed its colour. With this was connected a great hot-headedness, which at last gave over into a great rage, under which they howled as wild animals, bit the edge of their shields, and cut down everything they met without discriminating between friend or foe. When this condition ceased, a great dulling of the mind and feebleness followed, which could last for one or several days

>On these giants fell sometimes such a fury that they could not control themselves, but killed men or cattle, whatever came in their way and did not take care of itself. While this fury lasted they were afraid of nothing, but when it left them they were so powerless that they did not have half of their strength, and were as feeble as if they had just come out of bed from a sickness. This fury lasted about one day

Yeah stop repeating the bullshit Lindybeige said.

>Most berserkers in fantasy are Mary Sues
really nigga

Really. Look at Warhammer ones for example , they are fucking unstoppable.

You do realize that quote is from an article on neurology and isn't connected to any of the sagas, right?

Second quote is from Hrolf's Saga you idiot, first is from Ahmad Ibn Fadlan when he was among the Rus.

No, but every time I've seen it used in a game, the benefits have been counter balanced by having the berserker not able to distinguish friend from foe and equally likely to attack allies while raging.

One character even killed her family by accident when her homestead was attacked.

Also a bonus from Volsung saga

> Úlfhéðnar are sometimes described as Odin's special warriors: "[Odin's] men went without their mailcoats and were mad as hounds or wolves, bit their shields...they slew men, but neither fire nor iron had effect upon them. This is called 'going berserk'

>exaggerated accounts of adrenaline rushes
Was I supposed to be impressed?

>exaggerated

no shit it's a saga they also mention shapeshifters. Berserkers are mythological warriors not historical ones.

Then why where they outlawed in Norway in 1015?

Why was witchcraft outlawed?

Because the church wanted all other forms of spirituality to be wiped out, what's your point?

My point is not every medieval law had basis in reality. Besides even if we ignore the fact that there are no recorded battles involving any berserkers then still sagas described them as pissed off so your ''hurr le lindy said it so it must be true xD'' is horse shit and you're retarded.

most systems have some burnout mechanic to balance whatever boon berserkers get.

>thread about berserkers
>muh saga
>shitting on dual wielding

stop making these threads.literally nobody cares,and making the same thread over and over wont change that.

>Besides even if we ignore the fact that there are no recorded battles involving any berserkers
A number of sagas are straight up historical events, and many others incorporate historical events. Your ignorance is showing again.

>again

so far you're the only one who was spewing bullshit. Name some battles that involved berserkers.

You mean, they are good at combat, the thing they are supposed to be good at?

>wew lad

>Name some battles that involved berserkers.
How about that time when Halfdan and Hardbeen got into a little scuffle?
>These men asked Halfdan to attack Hardbeen and his champions man by man; and he not only promised to fight, but assured himself the victory with most confident words. When Hardbeen heard this, a demoniacal frenzy suddenly took him; he furiously bit and devoured the edges of his shield; he kept gulping down fiery coals; he snatched live embers in his mouth and let them pass down into his entrails; he rushed through the perils of crackling fires; and at last, when he had raved through every sort of madness, he turned his sword with raging hand against the hearts of six of his champions. It is doubtful whether this madness came from thirst for battle or natural ferocity. Then with the remaining band of his champions he attacked Halfdan, who crushed him with a hammer of wondrous size, so that he lost both victory and life; paying the penalty both to Halfdan, whom he had challenged, and to the kings whose offspring he had violently ravished...

That's not a battle you imbecile that's a 1v1 fight and it's from a saga it's not like Battle of Clontarf which we know for sure happened.

Also nice one fuckstein
>hurr berserkers weren't angry
>gets proven wrong
>hurr am I supposed to be impressed? It's an adrenaline rush, they should go super sayan!
>then posts an instance when a berserker gets batshit himself
>not knowing what word ''battle means'' either

the fuck is wrong with you?

>it's from a saga it's not like Battle of Clontarf which we know for sure happened.
>The Nine Books of the Danish History of Saxo Grammaticus isn't a reliable historical source

>things I never said

I'm sorry to hear you can't have a decent without moving the goalposts, user.

The point is that wasn't a pitched battle you dumb faggot.

Yes, and? Do you have doubts that Hardbeen participated in pitched battles?

If there is no proof then I don't give a shit about ''what if'' scenarios faggot.

Remind me what "no recorded battles with berserkers in them" would even prove again when they're clearly documented in small skirmishes and 1 on 1 combats?

They were supposed to be shock troops right? Why Saxons, Irish and Franks didn't mention any berserkers in viking ranks then?

Because they identified them as shock troops or as elites, and not as berserkers? It's not like they went up to these invaders and said "Excuse me, what is your word for these troops right here? We want to make our historical records easy to cross reference with your historical records."

Don't you think they would describe some animal furs wearing guys with anger issues? Retard.

>animal furs wearing guys with anger issues
The view of berserkers as wearing nothing but animal pelts was abandoned long ago, user.

But the sagas describe them with animal pelts retard the same sagas you use as evidence they were using in battle.

The sagas described them as "bear-shirts". The term is now understood to mean that they wore bear fur along with the rest of their clothing, which probably included mail armor. Tell me, do you get this mad every time you lose an argument?

>without their mailcoats

>This view has since been largely abandoned.
Are you telling me that you put more stock in a child's book than you do a university professor?

>largely abandoned

by whom? Post some sources.

>Simek (1995:47).
>Simek, Rudolf (1995). Lexikon der germanischen Mythologie. Stuttgart: Alfred Kröner. ISBN 978-3-520-36802-7.
Wow, it's so fucking hard to scroll to the bottom of the wikipedia page.

>one guy
>vs multiple sagas

first you claim they are historical then you suddenly change your mind and ignore them?

>one guy
Grettirs Saga, King Harald's Saga, Vatnsdæla Saga and Hrafnsmál are evidence for the bear-shirt interpretation.

Exactly you retard and you claim they didn't wear fucking animal pelts.

>The sagas described them as "bear-shirts". The term is now understood to mean that they wore bear fur along with the rest of their clothing, which probably included mail armor. Tell me, do you get this mad every time you lose an argument?

>propably

convincing

It's a suitable explanation as to why edged weapons did little to harm them, and as the warrior elite they certainly had the money for it.

Or the author exaggerated for dramatic purposes. Also people fighting despite being stabbed or shot are not unheard of even in modern times.

>Or the author exaggerated for dramatic purposes.
>he said, while desperately clinging to dramatic exaggerations by the author like they were the hard truth
The irony is palpable.

You're the one who claimed a brawl from one saga is a ''recorded battle''. I see your own logic applies only when it's convenient.

>brawl
Do you even know the meaning of that word?

Do you know the meaning of ''battle''?

Kill yourself.

>Battle: a sustained fight between large, organized armed forces.
Now, granted, 7 on 1 isn't exactly between "large" forces, but I thought you'd have the decency not to be anal retentive about definitions. Since that appears to be the name of the game, however, I will gladly point out to you that brawl has always implied that the fight started spontaneously or semi-spontaneously, was generally disorganized and the weapons of choice were fists and improvised weapons. The fight between Halfdan and Hardbeen was pitched and ended when the first crushed the other with a large hammer. You can't honestly call that a brawl.

>not to be anal retentive about definitions
really makes you think

Yeah, about how much of a real argument you lack.

So far I'm the only one posting backed up sources instead of quoting Lindybeige and one meme ''historian''.

>So far I'm the only one posting backed up sources
I've referenced 5 sagas, and a respected university professor is not a "meme historian". Go masturbate or whatever it takes for you to calm down and start thinking rationally again, then come back to this argument.

How can you claim that when they're peanuts compared to the wizard? Fuck, you don't even know what "Mary Sue" means!

Jesus christ, you two, get a room.
Or a longhouse or something.

Because wizards spend their lifetimes on studying laws of physics defiyng art meanwhile warriors go ''HURR HURR ME KILLED A FARMER ME A GR8 WARRIAH'' yet are shilled as the best shit since sliced fuck.

are you the same guy who keeps making threads all the time about how much he hates vikings?

Deal with the fact that warriors are fucking inferior life forms.

>Most berserkers in fantasy are Mary Sues

what

To what? Imaginary creatures?

To fucking archers.

archers are a type of warrior

Lol no.

>warrior
>noun
> 1. a person engaged or experienced in warfare; soldier.

Archers were above worthless infantry subhumans.

archers are a type of infantry

No you stupid homo they evolved past that, the term ''infantry'' should be applied only to stupid spearchuckers and such fuckers meanwhile when you say ''archer'' people immediately picture a beautiful, strong man with a bow which can pierce the sun.

Well shit, this thread just reminded me of this:

youtube.com/watch?v=1ec1yJLPG54

Sounds like absolute fucking shit. Even ruskies made a better viking themed song

youtube.com/watch?v=-0U6Y8jJuEE

you could at least post Amon Amarth or something.

>Because wizards spend their lifetimes on studying laws of physics defiyng art meanwhile warriors go ''HURR HURR ME KILLED A FARMER ME A GR8 WARRIAH'' yet are shilled as the best shit since sliced fuck.
Oh, you're acting retarded on the internet. Wizards are objectively the tryhard class. They're the equivalent of netdecking in mtg. Every other class is fine, other than rogues, but that's mostly due to the playerbase they attract.

>this fucking guy
Your taste in metal is as pretentious as your comment is misguided. The song is called Bersærkergang you twit, and it's written by a team of Dannish pseudo-nords. You just posted some completely forgettable powermetal, and made a shout out to Amon Amarth like some kind of 14 year old.

>the same way modern rugby players might pump themselves up before a game

so, drugs? That's terrifying as fuck.

>pretensious

I don't think you know what that word means. Also apparently Danes fucking suck cock at metal you stupid faggot.

this thread is a circlejerk in which certain indiividuals feel superior for knowing more about "actual berserkers".
this thread is not a discussion as none of the involved parties are willing to accept anything said by opposing posters.
the way the OP is texted already is a red flag, come on guys, this isn't /b/ and the average poster here is not 14.

>pretensious
Come on user, the lead singer is literally named Thor, get that stick out of your ass and quit being such a pretentious fuckwit.

That's not pretensious, that's cheesy.

What backwards country spells pretentious like that?

Anyways, that was my point. I'm into campy schlock and you're jerking off over your taste in metal.

Because you posted something that sounds like a cat in a blender..

Huh, never thought I'd see Svartsot on here. Love those guys.

I get what you are saying, but I don't think it is quite fair, many barbarians often have all sorts of inability to properly/non-violently relate to other people.

They are really really really good at killing things.
You mention Warhammer, a setting where Norse Berzerkers lose their ability to remove their armor or be human. Every single chaos warrior regrets this bargain. Every single one.