EDH/Commander general

Mr. Steal Yo Deck edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface. (Outdated)
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-08-16-edh/
youtube.com/watch?v=_fjEViOF4JE
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-08-16-isamaru-voltron/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gahijis-pillowfort-arena/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?text= [Goad]
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daxos-first/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trostanis-token-party/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for Iona did nothing wrong

This, all she's doing is existing.

Isn't that what she's doing wrong?

how does this look for a budget maelstrom list?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-08-16-edh/

I didn't think red mill was possible until this guy came along. My dream of wheels the deck is coming closer to playable every day.

No, because she isn't doing anything wrong.

HAHA GRUUL SMASH BLUE BLUE GOOD!! BLUE MAKE FUNNY NOISE WHEN SMASHED!! HAHA

youtube.com/watch?v=_fjEViOF4JE

Were there Esper-themed basic lands?

Repeating question from last thread: Is the only reason competitive EDH seems to favor Grim Monolith over Basalt Monolith the 1 lower CMC?

I wouldn't run mill in a format where you need to kill 300 cards. It's the goad ability that's good

probably

how exactly do you mill with grenzo? swing at a guy with 99 goblins? wouldn't he be dead anyway?

Yeah, 2cmc is the upper limit for rocks in competitive.

1 lower CMC.. In hyper tuned lists you may only need the one activation to go off so the net mana can mean something.

Otherwise it still works the same way with Strionic Resonator. Basalt Monolith has a place in more casual decks or anything that involves tapping/untapping a permanent (like that one mill artifact whose name escapes me)

Why does the idea of him and Rakdos, lord of riots seem so good? Especially because my group is so damn creature heavy.

Thanks, I thought as much. My meta isn't nearly as cutthroat, so I'll happily go for the ~$1.00 tower.

he would definitely combo well with rakdos, the problem is making rakdos himself work

truth

Does anyone have the original Great Snake Mistake list? I want to build something similar.

Hot damn I have a red deck that could use him as a commander without too many changes; just goblin tokens and direct damage from creatures everywhere. This is going to be fun.

Rate me plz

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-08-16-isamaru-voltron/

fucking christ, stop posting this

how else would you have basic lands in shards of alara? are you thinking they'd do every shard except esper?

your main win con will be with a single creature, Isamaru. I highly reccomend more board wipes since you'll most likely be able to recover the fastest with your low CMC doge. Terminus/Hallowed Burial are particularly effective

Austere Command and All is Dust are some more ways to deal with pesky enchantments

Nigga STOP

It's fucking mono-white Voltron with a vanilla 1-drop general what do you expect to change

I know mill is not an effective strategy, even less in EDH but I'm just curious about what is the most effective commander for it. Opinions?

No Diving Reckoning/10

Since you're mono white, Caged Sun/Extraplanar Lens would be recommended as well. Just don't forget to make all your Basic Plains Snow Covered

I keep saying it each time nigga, SCROLL RACK

Something something wheel effects, other something blue and black, something something Jeleva.

>Scroll Rack in mono-white
Why? Genuinely curious, since white has such little draw

Spell crumple followed by tunnel vision

I am going to do this.

I built nekusar with a million wheel effects.

It was going great until he got removed 3 times, boardwiped twice (which took my waste not away), and countered 4 times.

So instead of chaos combo, I'm going to go half counterspells and half wheels.

I may have invested in the wrong commander.

Lazav is pretty good.

Hes pretty good when you make him good, its basically grixis control with a burn twist. It plays best when you just tempo over your opponents and they cant effectively respond to what youre doing. One game i closed out the game with a wheel of fortune and liliana vess nut draw, she stuck so i put winfall on the top of the deck and got the mass scoop. If that kind of shit doesnt sound entertaining to you stop before you go to far.

Scroll Rack plus Land Tax is more bananas than Tasigur

Quick! Post your Commander that everyone underrates until you spank them in ass with it. Here's mine, I use him in 1v1 non-french

Maybe everyone underrates it because it's invisible

Fuck, forgot pic.

Oh, Ayli. Definately Ayli. At first people are like "why not run old teyssa or make esper?" until I drop it turn 2 every single game, cast it for free occasionally with Edgewalker, sac walls for value all freaking game, then exile anything I don't like by sacing a thrull. Bonus points for nim deathmantle and ashnod's alter with an elesh norn and segir autocrat out.

In 4 player games he gets off more wins then even I expect. Nobody really takes him seriously... I mean its just a few drakes after all...

>more bananas than Tasigur

impossible

It's possible. You just gotta like PARFAIT is all

>promise myself my next deck will have no red in it
>Keep planning out decks with red in them on Tappedout

FUCK

How does someone miss that badly with their anus?? Did their shit rocket them through the ceiling?

I have no idea. There are a bunch of Indian guys in the office below me so maybe someone had some overly potent curry

Anyway, what general/color combo that doesn't involve red would you recommend for someone who generally likes going fast and making obscene amounts of damage appear out of nowhere?

Just play Red, it's the greatest color.

It is, but I want to expand my horizons. I have so much red

Post 'em.

Change Savra to Mazirek and go both grindy AND combo.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gahijis-pillowfort-arena/
I feel like I'm going a little too heavy with the pillowfort stuff, but I want to play the defensive game and churn out tokens until the time is right, while forcing my opponents to fight each other

any good goad cards besides grenzo in Conspiracy?

Damn, I hope c16's inktreader has some respectable options for commanders. I already feel cheesy using animar, since as much as I love a gimmick, whenever it's so specifically tuned for edh it just makes it feel cheap.

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?text= [Goad]

You've literally got 5 cards to choose from. How well any given one applies to you is up to you to discern, but it isn't exactly a task you should need to delegate to an analyst to accomplish.

Best island by the way. Someone posts this land but expanded every so often and its beautiful.

Every time I sit down with a new group they say shit like "it's only daxos" or "why not just use X instead"

3/4 times it ends in a win for me.

You must play with pretty casual people then.

post list?

>this guy
user, daxos is good, but even in a U/W mirror match, I'm going to shit on you every time with brago. Are you running anything super spicy?

not really, i go around because there's 3 game stores in my area that run tourneys, I can't place top with it but top 4 is usually attainable.

he just gets ignored so easily because of the aforementioned.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daxos-first/

It's the first deck I ever built so don't expect anything to be super spicy. There has been some changes over time. Mostly swapping tezzeret for jace and adding sword of body and mind.

also half of the maybeboard is in there now, I'm prolly going to update it right just so I have documentation of what I got.

Lemme see dat Trostani list, user.

Is Tariel any good? I'm thinking of building mardu and it's her or Oros, which seems pretty meh too outside of giving him deathtouch. At least Tariel looks good if you can activate her ability a few times

Actually, not bad, not bad. What do you do if you don't hit a creature in your first couple of turns? Pray Daxos doesn't get removed? Also, sword of war and peace is meh in your deck. Why not go for the throat with a grafted exoskeleton? I'm also partial to strionic resonator in these type of decks, but keep in mind, I'm a brago player, so my strategy is slightly different, but more or less the same.

Daxos always makes me glad I run token decks for the early blockers. Though, amusingly, when my friend does hit with him, he always hits land.

Why?

Thrumming Storm Sidisi.

Tariel is weird. You basically pack wheel effects and mass removal to fill graveyards for you to pick from.

If you want mardu, I'd go for Alesha. She's good at what Mardu likes to do. Any reason you don't Consider her?

I haven't updated it in awhile. Kind of forgot that I even created a tappedout account, but here you go. tappedout.net/mtg-decks/trostanis-token-party/

How would this even work? I'm guessing Ad Naus is involved somehow

Nope. Thrumming Stone, exactly 59 Shadowborn Apostles, Rune-Scarred Demon, and Tendrils of Agony.

actually I was running it for the protection from X not the supplementary effects, I can easily tutor for it with one of the many sources and it's good to knock out two colors when most opponents are 3 colors.

Not running grafted exoskeleton cuz I like the game to go on a minute, I had it in at one point but I usually win with commander damage in 3 attacks anyhow and it paints a huge target on my back.

I actually don't mind casting daxos early, 9/10 times there's something else out that wants to be targeted more. That an the "it's only daxos" factor.

Hadn't considered strionic resonator, but I'll playtest it some, thanks!

yep, tokens can be a little but of an issue, but usually I can get round them. My main playgroup is token ghave so I got stuff like trample, can only be blocked by one creature stuff, and protection from (color) to tutor out.

It doesn't always work out, but it usually does the trick.

Update your Sidisi deck nerd, there's been some cool zombie stuff lately.

>I actually don't mind casting daxos early, 9/10 times there's something else out that wants to be targeted more. That an the "it's only daxos" factor.
Oh, I meant something slightly different. If I was playing Daxos, I know to remove that bitch early, or make sure you have chumps available. Now, assuming you don't hit any creatures, what's your game plan? I just don't really like your ratio of creatures to other things, I run 30 creatures minimum in every single deck.

such as what, I didn't really see anything to crazy.

Because snow covered lands are technically a basic land type. When extraplanar lens enters the battlefield, you can imprint one of your snow-covered Plains, and only snow-covered Plains will get the Boost. Not everyone else's regular plains.

Correcting myself. Snow covered lands are not a basic land type, but are a repeatable unique named land. Extraplanar lens specifies lands that share the name with the imprinted card. Regular plains will not trigger to an effect that only triggers snow-covered Plains

Draw cards/fish for land and boardwipe if things get too hairy while trying to hold the big ticket artifacts that would make me a threat in my hand. My current deck has a few more creatures in it I believe more like 18.

But I dont have to worry -too- much about life since I can reliably hit nonlands with the way my deck works. Aetherspouts and cyclonic rift are also great for stall and if I dont hit a creature I surely hit some landgen or draw source.

But either way my deck usually treats me well with stalls/tutors that I can get by.

Wailing Ghoul helps mill your deck. I think Cryptbreaker, Graf Harvest, Liliana's Elite, Diregraf Colossus, and Relentless Dead are worth considering.

He's probably talking about shadows over innistrad, Diregraf collosus, relentless dead, and prized amalgam

forgot to mention, batterskull is really reliable in a pinch.

I'll add crpytbreaker, diregraf colossus, graf harvest, and relentless dead. Going to wait until crptbreaker rotates out from standard before I buy it though, 10 bucks isn't a lot, but I don't need it this second and it will probably drop a few bucks when it rotates out.

S'cool man. I was mostly just giving you grief but I'm glad it showed you some cool stuff.

Is this the way to bring in Marit Lage? I'm talking about one by one, no Hexmage.

Thespian Stage.

If you aren't doing it all at once, don't do it.

Weak body and forces me to run specific creatures to trigger her effect. I don't really like linear strategies, which is why I don't consider Zurgo as well

No, if you insist on removing the country's one by one then it's still better to just ramp really hard, much faster than removing 1 counter per turn lol

Play it in Stax as a finisher, just pay for it.

Anyone else been ordering cool shit?

Does that work? Wouldn't it be a copy with the counters still on it?

A linear strategy is hermit Druid combo

Alesha is not linear

I see the money spent on that was at the expense of a camera from this century

I kinda want that but damn is she expensive.

the counter only go in it when it enters, since it's already on field it will be a Dark Depths with no counters and trigger

I bought a jap ravnica izzet foil island