WIP - Painting/Sculpting/Converting General

Everybody is Johnny edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>I am the hammer! I am the point of His spear! I am the mail about His fist! I am the bane of His foes!
youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

>Previous thread:

My first grey knight pre basing.

I hope this is right way up.... Finished up the AOP last night.

damnit

Looks nice, but no country insignia?

No decals for it just yet, they are coming.

Ice Ork guy here again, i can slowly feel my hype for painting these guys fade. Should i just take a break?

also still no idea what to do with the shottas, maybe make them orange or a other color that is not a mettalic. Would this work for orks?

C&C as always welcomed

The snapfit starter marines are not the same quality as the normal ones are they?

Lots of shitty sprue positions and pretty big mold lines.

Also they seem pretty small.

From what starter box are they?

The Dark Vengeance snapfit minis were quite good quality.

Also

Two of the marines bolterhands combo do not fit properly

Decent enough but thin paints pls

I see. Never had one of these boxes myself, so i don't know.

I think the marines in that box are from back in the day when "Battle for Maccrage" was the starter set, so like 10+ years old.

Maybe you use the wrong bolter at this marine? Or are they all 3 the same?

>so like 10+ years old.
Yea, the bases are from 03 and the sprue was from 05

The bolters are all the same, they just won't line up with two of the marines.

Would not recommend the 3 minis for $8 pack for anything but dead marine bits

>Would not recommend the 3 minis for $8 pack

The cultist pack for the same price is kinda good value actually, but that box (and the chaos marine version) aren't.
There is a new starter set with 3 new snapfit marines and paint too, these look way better actually.

Wash the armour in nuln oil and it should be good

ebay - not sure if these are cool as fuck or not. they're a great price though

>Would not recommend the 3 minis for $8 pack for anything but dead marine bits

To paraphrase Vincent Vega, "eh, they're pretty good, but they ain't worth $8.00."

Orky squig-tanks for my squiggoth mounted snakebitez!

And from the other side.

Neat idea, but it could use some more bits to look a little more tank like. Good greenstuffing by the way

I kind of want to keep them away from looking too tank-y because snakebites aren't known for their enlightened attitude towards technology but i am adding a tank of fuel for the burna on the back of the squiggly-beast.

Thanks for the compliment but fur is actually pretty easy to sculpt with a half decent set of tools, i picked it up with just a couple of practice runs.

Just took my brushes out of pic related after about 15 hours.

While I was washing them off in water I noticed all the paint on the front third of the handle had turned completely gummy and sticky.

Had to scrape it off with a pocketknife, even having to go down to the wood on some.

Really not impressed with this stuff, especially since I didn't manage to get the paint out of the ferrule of a single brush.

Really disappointed here.

Any tactics you guys know to get the paint out of the ferrule?

>Old Scortcha Turret
It's been a while, hasn't it?

Back in the day i had an original scorcha, but i had a hobby break and now it's long gone.

Got two turrets on ebay, they're pretty good but these days they just remind me how desperate orks are for a new warbuggy kit.

Brush soap can help. Lather the brush and then leave the brush laying down flat until dry. Tap to remove the powdered soap and hopefully the dried paint and repeat as required. It may not be enough in severe cases.

Paint in the ferrule is a hard problem to fix especially if there's a lot in there. The bristles might already be bent, and repeated attempts with solvents, warm water and mechanical abrasion will make the glue fail and the bristles become loose.

Best of luck, but if nothings worked so far this might just have to be chalked up as a learning experience.

I use a good quality women's hair shampoo for my brushes. it does a great job of getting the paint out while keeping the hairs of the brush in the pointed shape.

put a small dollop on a clean pallet, wet the brush just a little and keep moving it over a clean part of the pallet, if you can get it into a lather it works even better.

I just use whatever brand of shampoo happens to be in our bathroom, it's cheaper then buying the brush soap and a lot softer on the brushes,

I only have one brush atm that's really bad.

I'm tempted to snip off the hairs that are bowing out but I know that's a bad idea.

Try some Shampoo, it has taken the bowed out hairs on my brushes and made them back into a nice point. it might take a while of scrubbing and letting it soak in to do some work. if it's a good quality brush there's no sense in just throwing it out, try and save it!

I shaved off the Blood Angels symbol on the magna-grapple. Will this show through when painted? It feels smooth.

put some paint on it to check

easy to rub it off with a finger once it's dry

I'm gonna try to hit it one more time with a long soak in the W&N Brush Cleaner than hit it with the shampoo.

I have to be heading out of the house for a while anyway, might as well let it soak.

Doesn't look like it'll eb a problem. You can also dilute some filler putty and airbrush a light layer over the surface. It'll smooth the surface and cover the scratches up without clogging the detail. Then prime and paint as normal.

Weird question, but does anyone have the pictures of the Ork player who made his scheme with Incubi Darkness as the main armor plating, and Orange as the detail? He also has a light blue for the Ork skin color

Dip the hairs in very hot water for a bit, reshape them together with your fingers, and then you dunk the new shape into ice water to get the shape to set instead of fighting back during a slow cooldown.

Yes, ice water. All that compression and contraction physics, yes.

What's the best way to get some good blood drips going? I was thinking of mixing Blood for the Blood God with some PVA glue. I don't know how to get it to stay while it dries though.

>Ice Orks
I'm thinking about painting some Orks an alternate skin color. I haven't done any testing but i'm thinking painting them closer to a Tolkien orc skin tone.

Building a rhino for my battle sisters.

Its just sitting there dry-fitted right now, need to take it apart and deal with those mould lines and drill the stacks. But I'm tentatively excited about it.

Fair enough, can't wait to see future progress. What tools do you use for sculpting? I really need to get some instead of using my knife and similar items

How do you clean up mold lines or sprue spots?

How do you drill barrels?

Back of a hobby knife or using a dulled blade
Hand drill and practice

Anyone have any experience with Walmart paint? I've been out of the painting for awhile, and all my old pots are dead.

Only what I've seen other people do... and that's turn what could have been typical noob paintjobs into truly unique pieces of garbage.

And heres my second grey knight. Thinned paints and non glossy nuln oil. Basecoated with leadbelcher then a coat of runefang steel over that. Some cnc would be cool.

In a way, that's actually inspiring. What's wrong with it? Shitty pigments? Lack of pigments? Both?

Intense pigment, glossy plasticy finish, might actually be physically impossible to thin.

Yea, that's what I was afraid of. I work second shift, and Walmart is the only place open during the week when I'm conscious and not working.

Thin your paints

Finished my White Lion last night in a few hours

That's lookin good, yo

Forgot pic

Good stuff

Then started Maghariba Guard this morning

Do you have any more pictures of those tiles? Always looking for new additions to the tile folders.

Thanks!

Oh, it's just the Kingdom Death board. I dont have any pics besides pics of painted miniatures from the game.

Does anyone have any tips or guides for painting horse cavalry? Id like to try and make the fur look like mud has splashed up on it, but the models dont look like they have much texture for washes or definition of their fur.

Nah more of a learn brush control really.
Shake your pots when you use a wash.

Honestly, a fur trim on all of or parts of their leather clothes would really top off this theme imo.

Paint that fur part of the middle orks helmet grey-white, perhaps with a bluer wash and then additional highlight?

Don't give up user these gits look cunnin af

Addendum for Bright yellow eyes would look good and really glare out from under all that blue imo.

I got a bunch of nazi heads to bash onto my IG.

Problem is it seems IG are bigger scale than other 28mm humans. Does anybody have any experience with such things so I'm not just winging it?

What's the offical GW name of johnny?
also, I want to make an entire army of beakies. Is this feasible with recasting?

Needs a coating of nuln oil, or 3. Very bright.

have this

Get army painter bulk kits off of amazon, ro vallejo ones IIRC army painter's compelte brush set is like, 40$ on amazon

I was thinking Vallejo because I've heard good things. All I've ever used is GW paint except for some Army Painter primer.

1. Brother Craig
2. If you're not a poorfag, just buy FW's MkVI armor sets for tons of money. If you're not a poorfag, recast them anyways. Just make sure not to get cancer in the process. And don't paint them as Iron Warriors. You will trigger every one of them.

I wouldn't worry about that desu.
GW scale is anything if not fucking inconsistent.
If you put truescale historicals and FW minis together they look fine. If you mix heroic historicals like from foundry with GW it's gonna look fine.

You just gotta be consistent about what you kitbash.
If you ignore the fucked up conversion of the dwarf that I made out of the leftovers from the other conversions for shits and giggles, i think you'll see what I mean.

If you have enough heads to put them on ALL your IG go ahead. If not I'd be careful with mixing the ranges.

Okay, shades are done, technicals are done. Now it's time for some highlights. Already like the look of these fuckers.

If you like your shootas in orange, you could always go for rusty metal. That definetly works for orks.

If your're using washes, it wil sho. Try rubbing some liquid green stuff on it, to fill the micro gaps.

Are you the user with those china rhinos? Because that rhino looks pretty gud.

Flash kinda kills it, but you're getting there, user. I see some good improvements in brush control and use of paint. Try moving the shades on your model a little after putting them on to avoid those nasty splotches.

Also, as usual, the plague rider. He looks so happy!

The models are nice, but it kills me that the color on the weapons is the same as the bases.
Are you gonna address that somehow?
It really throws me off when looking at these.

Yeah, bases are going to get brighter, guns are going to get darker. Here's a finished plague marine to give you an idea.

Ah, excellent. Proceed as planned then.

Really like what the finished basing on this guy looks like btw.

Thanks

>also, I want to make an entire army of beakies. Is this feasible with recasting?

How much of a purist are you? Does it have to be Mk VI armour, or is just the Corvus helmet acceptable?

Anyone got any advice in terms of paint rack?

I would like something like pic related but I'm not too keen on paying so much for something with so many layers I won't use.

I'm looking for something with 3-4 rungs and each rung can hold about 40 pots of Citadel paint.

It's safer and easier to bits order them. A lot of people don't use their beakies.

What's the best Vallejo collection for 40k? Specifically deldar

Honestly, hit a fuckin' garage sale or two and pick up a lazy susan. Don't worry about being fancy, as if it can do the job and end up costing you a couple of bucks instead of whatever asinine amount some branded garb will end up costing you, all the better.

Second from the right looks adorable with his big head and boots

Working on a Bloodbowl pitch. It's going to be nurgle themed, so the white lines are going to be painted to look like it was shat/sneezed/generally leaked out onto the field. Gonna try hard to make it look unkempt and shitty.

Spice racks

Sweeeet, tachikoma is next. Classy white lion, have a 3/4 to show off the front more? Current WIP for myself.

Do these patterns do...things for you, user?

wip OP should always have THIN YOUR PAINTS and a link to the video

This stuff Johnny. I've used it to resurrect some truly fucked brushes.

The two on the left look extremely malplaced, the others look good.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'd buy them, but if I do buy them I won't have enough in my PayPal to buy a different lot that ends in 4 days.

Just bought some of this stuff, can confirm within a few minutes it had softened up my most fucked frankenstein brush

Smells nice too

You should make a cool weirdboy or nob fitting the theme, doing boy after boy is suffering.

Once it's in the ferrule, it's just time for a new brush. High quality sable brushes can handle inks and such fine if you use proper brush soap after, but most brushes are not of this quality.

Nop, I haven't work on my stuff. Usually only have time during fridays or weekends.

But usually I play games whenever I can, where ever I can.

Great start so far! My mates blood bowl pitch is just flat cloth with marker lines. It's depressing

>My mates blood bowl pitch is just flat cloth with marker lines. It's depressing

"He sent him down for a 'chat' with the Astrogranite!"
"That's right, Jim! Looks like our 'star player' has taken a sudden interest in the state of the pitch."

SPACE DRAGON HELMETS: For converting a Cataphratchii terminator, I'm looking at replacing the BaC commander's head with a draconic looking helmet (playing Salamanders after all). Would the regular space marine terminator helmets fit (I don't own one so I can't tell), and if not, has anyone seen some awesome looking dragon space marine heads?

Also, what is the best 'brand name' greenstuff (more importantly what is it normally called?) because my local store has a shittone of different modelling putties and the like.