Is this a "That Guy" Thing to do?

Would this be a "That Guy" thing to do?
>Given 3 castings of Wish
>Use first Wish to wish that the second Wish is fulfilled to my expectation, eliminating DC
>Use second Wish to cast Create Life (9th level spell), creating a Guardian Naga x Storm Giant Hybrid
>Use third Wish to cast Kiri’s Soul Transfer (8th level spell) to switch souls with the hybrid
>I now have 30 STR 20 DEX 21 CON 16 INT 10 WIS 14 CHA, can breath under water, bite for 1d6+4 damage, and automatically resurrect within 1d6 days of dying
I know it's OP, but I'm not the one that gave me Wish, the DM is.
Hybrid stats are divulged from the system given in Encyclopedia Arcane: Crossbreeding - Flesh and Blood

If he's fucking giving you three castings of wish, quite honestly he deserves to have his game wrecked.

Is your character clever enough to come up with that plan?

To be fair, I drew it from a Deck of Many Things.

16 INT and was already looking into finding a means by which to attain a new body. I feel like it works rp wise.

If a GM gives you a Deck of Many Things, quite honestly he deserves to have his game wrecked.

Honestly I feel that being able to come up with this kind of thing is more WIS than INT.

Fair point.

still kinda deserves it.

also I'm not familiar with these spells, is the monster created by createlife actually alive and if so can it turn you to paste within the cast time of kiri's soul transfer?

It's alive and has an adult body, but it's mind is that of a new born

I agree for the most part, but as my character was already studying hybridization and, as I said, was in the market for a new body, I feel like it's kind of given that he comes up with something relating to the 2 when given Wish.

I don't see it that way.

Coming up with that plan takes INT. Going with the plan, even considering that all your enemies so far had bite-damage resistance and also had opportunity to kill someone for good -even though they're supposed to be immortal- that would be WIS.

That's the way I see it.

Oh, and by the way, that second part, about taking WIS... I meant that it would take negative WIS to go with a plan that has serious flaws: because you are not very wise if you do so.

He's a 3.5 DM in 2016, he deserved it 8 years ago.

It's 5e. Crossbreeding system was adapted.

I gave a player a deck of many things once. He used it at the final fight of the campaign and killed the most powerful being in the universe with a kick to the balls.

>Adapted
>Homebrew
>STATS

If you're already homebrewing shit, WHO GIVES A SINGLE FUCK at this point.

If this is something your character would want to do, then sure, go fucking nuts, but if you're doing it for "YAY BIGGER NUMBERS" then what are you doing with your life, seriously.

yes
The idea itself is hella cool, I give you that, but why would you purposefully ruin your entire game?
How about using those wishes for something fun instead?

>wish operates like 3.5
>create life spell is a 3.5 spell
>soul transfer is a 3.5 spell
Don't lie, OP.

If you tried this in my game in 5e, I'd allow it:
>you: I wish for my next wish to be granted to my expectation
>me: OK, granted... *roll dice* you lose the ability to ever cast a wish again and take 9d10 psychic damage that cannot be reduced. And your strength drops to 2 for... *rolls dice* 5 days.

That's hardly a clever backfire.

Speaking of shit like this my GM included a wish granting machine in his last campaign. Found it in a pyramid surrounded by bodies. Turns out the backfire of the wish was you would die.
>I wish to be invincible!
You die and your body is invincible
>I wish for a million gold!
You die but a million gold rains onto your corpse
>I wish for a magic sword!
You die and a magic sword appears in your hands.
The room itself was full of wished for treasures and the only danger was resisting making a wish.

Damn, that's fucked up. Unless your DM had put some unresistable lure onot the machine, he created a Monty Haul machine.

We had encumbrance rules and leaving the place caused wraiths to chase us. It was a high lethality campaign and we nearly got party wiped by trying to rules lawyer how we were 1 pound away from heavy load while wraiths were eating us. Not to mention our barbarian died wishing for "More arm big"

So how does it work if you wish for immortality?

I would assume the same way as invincibility albeit that would be kinda stupid. I guess nobody thought ti wish for that.

You die and then are immortal. Duh.

Well you certainly can't die once you're dead...

Oh who am I kidding, of course you can. Just need some diamond dust.

Maybe pic related happens. Your body is immortal, but your mind is dead.

> You die and your body is invincible
You guys should have taken the invincible corpse, strapped it to your fighter's shield/arm and used it as ultimate shield for the rest of the game.

I'm including a Deck of Lesser things in my game, essentially the same but all the cards have much weaker effects than the originals and it disintergrates as soon as its drawn from so the effects can only ever happen once. When it does it will leave one 'true' card behind and the players can quest to put the entire real deck together if they wish. A quest shared by multiple followers of a trickster god attempting to do the same and off whom they got the first deck.

It's probably still going to fuck up my game but yolo.

>our barbarian died wishing for "More arm big"

brilliant

Does your game happens to be Ponyfinder?

really, because my first thought is "oh you're a karbo character, i guess we're in your magical realm now"

Sounds like the end of STALKER

Crossing wishes, classic newbie mistake.

Casting wish in 5e causes all of those effects by default.

Including the fact that you have a 33% chance of never being able to cast wish again.

OP here, I just came up with a better idea.
>Use Create Life to manifest an Adult Golden Dragon
>Swap souls with said dragon
>Profit

This only aplies if YOU cast the spell, and only if you use it to do something other than replicate an existing spell of 8th or lower level.

In OP's case, the card is casting the spell. OP is merely giving it the wishes to fulfil.
It's like being granted a wish by a djinn.

Well the thing is would that be in character or you just meta gaming out of the ass to ruin the fun?

Also the fact you have to use the first wish to make the 2nd work doesn't change the fact the first wish itself could just fail.

If playing in character I think most would wish for money, power, immortality or something along those lines. Not use all three wishes just to get a perfect stat-wise body. You do know you would forever be cursed to look like the crossbreed right? Would you honestly want that in real life? What is keeping your character from just saying "I wish for the perfect body" instead of blowing all three wishes for the same result plus negative effects?

It is your GM fault for giving you the power in the first place but you aren't doing any better yourself. I would have to say yes that you are being that guy.

Considering all the other cases of fuckery connected to a DoMT, I'd rule that even though the card holds the power, it counts as you casting the spell.

And if you roll shit, the card disintegrates and is replaced by card that replicates one other effect in the deck, but the card it emulates is random each time you perform a long rest.

But that's just me.

Sorry pal, but wish is cast by the magic item.
Just like with the luck sword and the ring of three wishes.

Assuming there's more than 3 players.

Couldn't you just wish for all the wraith to die, then wish for unlimited carrying capacity and finally for a bunch of resurrection. Basically 3 dead but the last one alive makes it back safely and resurrects the remaining 3.

Which is why I said "But that's just me."

It's not like the concept of a magic item turning to dust is all that unique of a scenario

Seems like you're retarded, then.
The item casts it, RAW and RAI.
Sorry that you're too autistic to stand for that, thoughh. Try playing something other than dnd if you dont want wish shenanigans.

>Item casts it
>Takes enough damage to break and/or rolls low enough to never Wish again
>Other 2 uses are null
But hey, if he ever finds ANOTHER source of wish...

>Psychic Damage
>Destroying an item

>psychic damage doing anything to a magic deck
wut

Why are you getting so defensive over a houserule mate?

How I run a particular situation has no bearing on how you run a particular situation.

Wish causes necrotic damage, not psychic.

>Implying
Do you even /heartofthecards/?

When a spellcaster uses wish in an unconventional manner. They run the risk of overexerting themselves and burning out the ability to ever cast it again. A mortal body is not meant to channel the mana required, nor twist reality so harshly.

An item that casts wish is built to withstand the flow of mana. They are specifically designed to utilize wish, for a certain number of timea. They will not burn out the ability, but they have a limited amount of times it can be cast - three, usually - before it doesnt have enough reserves to cast again.

I'd say this intended use of Wish isn't being That Guy, it's just pointless. The loosely justified RP reason clearly takes a backseat to mechanical superiority, which doesn't really matter if that's the kind of game your group is playing. If everyone is on board, you're not being that guy, you're just giving up the chance for anything beyond a commoner's wildest dreams in order to be physically and mentally superior.

Honestly that makes for a really shitty and pointless story when you could use this opportunity to enrich the narrative and reinforce and/or conclude the thematic elements already established in the campaign. Why is your PC fascinated with hybridization in the first place, and how can that make the game more interesting? I promise there are greater answers than "I can be stronger now."

Unrelated, as a DM, I have what I call the Deck of Several Things, which uses a full 52 card deck. It grants a good::potentially/distinctly bad result at roughly a 1::1.3 ratio. Slightly more likely that you'll shoot yourself in the foot than gain all your wildest dreams. Like one card that grants one perfect wish, one card that grants 1d3 Limited Wishes and one card that grants 1d4-1(minimum 1) Corrupted Wishes (that isn't revealed to be corrupted until the wishes are completed right then, which they must be.)

So far it's been great fun, not so terrible that the players rage-quit but just beneficial enough that it's a heavy question if they want to play every time the Deck is offered. And they do take their time deciding. It's been intriguing.

>Why are you getting so defensive over a houserule mate?

Because he's a rollplaying rules lawyer who feels his conceptual powerbase is under attack.

Keep doing it, I like seeing him get mad.

Same answer as It's still the same as just giving yourself a stronger form. Ultimately boring and pointless.

(You)

Not in the context of the campaign. Right now I'm working with the BBEG against the rest of the party, but as a Golden Dragon I could Shapechange and rejoin the party 'undercover'.

>Right now I'm working with the BBEG against the rest of the party,
Distinctly a That Guy move that takes a very high amount of sensibility and finesse to actually add to the enjoyment of the entire table.

>but as a Golden Dragon I could Shapechange and rejoin the party 'undercover'.
Still a That Guy move. It only becomes a This Guy move if every possible result of your actions either increases the complexity and enjoyment of the narrative and/or furthers the party goals. This is clearly going to be a very difficult task if you're trying to avoid being That Guy.

And more contact is needed if we're going to help avoid That Guy behavior.

More *context* needed...

>Accidentally kill High Mage's family while blinded trying to defend them from undead
>Shit panic
>Kill then possessed High Mage to try to cover my ass, thinking I can play it off as an accident
>Lawful Good Party member sees through my shit
>Power struggle in the dungeon for a while, it's a stalemate
>DM rolls divine intervention
>Nat 20
>Turns out BBEG had been orchestrating the undead shit and was watching us the entire time
>Manifests himself and scoops up my unconscious body as I'm about to be killed
>Wake up, talk with BBEG, he gives me a Deck of Many Things because he "likes my style" and doesn't know how to use it
>First card drawn is Moon, thus the wishes
My character really isn't a bad guy, I mean he isn't good either, but he doesn't want to be working with the BBEG. I would use the Wishes to try and defeat him more directly, but he has an aura of antimagic from an artifact he stole. Essentially I'm just trying to use the Wishes to gain enough power to defeat BBEG while I'm close to him, or to rejoin the party as soon as I can.

>Use second Wish to cast Create Life (9th level spell)
How were you planning on doing this exactly?

>become his apprentice
>kill him once you get strong enough and take over as BBEG

there you go. OP is now a newborn baby in the body of the thing he wished to be alive.

It's basically game over for that character.

So you're trying to become an amphibious Emperor Leto II?

>all these people butthurt that OP used wishes to give himself a bizarre new body

It's not even that bonkers. His Int/Wis/Cha are all low enough that he can easily get fucked over by Dominate/Mind control/Suggestion shenanigans, and there are worse things than dying.

You could just trap his PC in another plane, etc.

This isn't even a speedbump for any DM worth his salt. I wouldn't consider it "That guy" at all.

>>Use first Wish to wish that the second Wish is fulfilled to my expectation, eliminating DC
It's the DM's fault for not fucking you over with the third wish. Also, what do you mean by eliminating DC?

You say that the second wish will be fulfilled to your expectation... But coming up with this plan, clearly you expect to be dicked over. Will you be able to suppress your inner cynic for long enough?

It's less a question of "is this OP" and more a question of "will this make the campaign better." Yes, sure, he hasn't just instra-wrecked the entire campaign and the DM can still deal with him. But is he destroying his character's story for more power? Is he creating a new story twist to enhance the plot? That sort of thing.

I'd allow it, but then ask you to retire the character and roll a new one. Punishing players for efficient/rational use of Wishes is a big no no in my book, but so is allowing gross power imbalance to persist among the player characters too.

You can't die once you are already dead, thus making you immortal.

So you just have contingency for breath of life on yourself if you die?

>I'm not going to punish his character I'm just going to take it away from him

Nice solution lol. Then again 3 fucking wishes and thats all you can come up with, OP? Pathetic and obviously problematic

I wish that when I die, I will return more powerful than ever before.

This obviously. That first wish clearly indicates you expect this to go wrong. Based on toher things I've read, I'd either let the monstrosity you created kill you, or let you remain in your body but be mentally reduced to the state of a newborn baby.

Or you word the first wish as
>Use first Wish to wish that the second Wish is fulfilled to my desire, eliminating DC

But I bet someone else will think of something to get you on that.

>Really like the idea of soul transferring into a golem or something
>DM immediately starts adding things specifically just to kill golems everywhere when he hears what I want to do

>darius
>not tryndamerd

I'm too old for this shit.

Here are my questions for you OP.
>What will becoming a giant Naga (or Gold Dragon as you say later) add to the story or plot of the campaign?
>How will this affect the party dynamic and balance of power?
>What will the GM have to do to make the campaign challenging for you, and what does that mean for the rest of your party?

Becoming an ultra-powerful character through Wishes can mess with your campaign's story something fierce, and it can leave the rest of your party feeling useless or as 'side-kicks'. It can, and will, do more harm than good in most situations. So think carefully before you try this plan, because even if you 'win' and get everything you want, you might still 'lose' by making the whole game worse for everyone.

Pic completely unrelated, but pretty.

Mental stats are unaffected when switching bodies, you fucking moron.

>Would this be a "That Guy" thing to do?
It comes across like you're trying to win D&D, what do you think?

When people have to ask "Would this be a That Guy thing to do?", they already know the answer in their hearts. OP was just lonely and wanted a thread.

"Okay. I'll wish for a million coins. My character will die, but the other players get to keep the gold and buy sickass loot with it. And then, you know, they'll give my new character a cut when he joins up."

Dominate/trick NPCs into wishing for material goods for you.

To be fair, if OP has to ask whether or not going full munchkin is a "That guy" thing to do, he probably doesn't give two fucks that his plan would probably end the campaign in a few sessions

You are painfully retarded.

tl;dr is this a That Guy thing? Depends on the rest of the players/GM/setting. If they're good/optimized, you just might be ok. If you're playing with rangers and monks, you're a cunny.

Gave it some thought what I'd do as a DM, and boy you have me stumped; most of my players can't even figure out Improved Initiative's a great deal let alone choose good spells.

I'd give you a deal; retire this monstrosity as kind of an NPC (you're still gonna control him in the bigger picture and we can have solo brainstorms of what this force-a-nature's gonna do), and roll a new guy, because with this amazing stunt you're extremely above the rest of the party (presumably, the rest of the players are bumblefucks that wouldn't know Power Attack from Monkey Grip).

Not a great deal, and you don't get much out of it unless you like modifying the world, or becoming the new BBEG or BBGG, but overshadowing everyone in regular play is a huge pain in the ass for everyone involved (unless you're selfish then it might be cool for you).

Mearls is not permitted to give official answers, moron.

Kike Mearls knows nothing about the game, don't expect him to have actually read the rules.

>I want to break wish!
>I don't want to follow the rules of the game!
>I don't want to follow any rules clarification unless it specifically gives me what I want!
This is the closest thing to a rules clarification on the subject. Magic items with wishes have you cast from the item, which doesn't mean the item casts the spell on you.

Nothing OP wants works in 5e and would require a massive use of homebrew and the DM bending over to let his players use his dainty asshole.

They are right though. You're the one bending over backwards to impose penalties on the wishes.

Magic items always cast the spell.
Wand of web sets the dc, not your character, no matter how high his spellcasting dc,
Boots of levitation require no spell slots, nor the ability to cast spells at all.

By all indications I'm correct, and you have nothing to show to prove your case other than bending what is written in the DMG to what you want it to be.

You cast the spell from the magical item. It doesn't use your spell slots and the DC is set by the item, but it requires you to concentrate on it and make concentration checks and there are several that use you own casting ability for the spell too. Wand of web specifically says you use your action to cast the web spell from the item. For the next hour you are concentrating on maintaining that spell and keeping it going, and if you cast a concentration spell yourself or from a different magic item the web spell ends.

>By all indications I'm correct
Heres your (you) kid, you earned it.

>declaring yourself the victor when at least 3 different people all disagree with you and seem to have the exact same idea on how it really works

Kekerinodismo mr. autismo

>I have no logic or justification so I meme

It's just sad at this point.
Anyone who has to declare themselves irrefutably right is insane.

Any wish that exceeds the normal limit of wish has a good chance of leaving the wisher wanting. Wishing to make a subsequent wish occur without penalty certainly counts. The Powers That Be aren't stupid, user.

>5E Wish, apparently

5E's Wish explicitly states that you only "might" be able to do something beyond the limits of a normal Wish spell, and that whether or not you are (and what happens) is subject to DM approval, who is given "great latitude" in ruling. As a DM, if I didn't feel like being a dick, I'd tell you outright that you cannot Wish to remove the risk from Wishes. And also you wasted your first Wish.

The obvious compromise is to allow only the next wish to go off without a hitch. Purposefully letting a player waste a huge resource like that without giving him a warning just because of something you just decided on the fly. Is that really what you intend?

>Player has a luck blade and a ring of three wishes.
>Using the ring he casts true polymorph on someone to become a dragon.
>Less than an hour later he does it again using his luck blade on a different creature.
>The first true polymorph spell ends.
This is how casting spells with a magic item works. You cast the spell using the magic item and it's your concentration maintaining the spell. There is no justification to saying the magic item casts the spell entirely independent of you.

>Purposefully letting a player waste a huge resource like that without giving him a warning just because of something you just decided on the fly. Is that really what you intend?

That's letting him get off lightly, IMO. Perverting wishes is something that the spell explicitly says the GM is allowed to do if the players try to do something that isn't within the safe limits of the spell. "Nothing happens" is pretty much the best case scenario for trying to abuse wishes. Don't like it? Stick to the fucking limits.

If a character is given three wishes, and his first wish is "I wish my next wish goes off without a hitch", then he's the one who fired the first shot, not me. More to the point, he's obviously "declared war" on the campaign, in that there is no way in Hell he isn't trying to pull something that I would never let him do normally, and he KNOWS that, so he's trying to subvert DM control - which is something I'd take particular offense to because I'm a pretty easy-going DM.

There can be no compromise with such a player. There *can* be mercy, which is why I'm simply causing him to waste a Wish rather than doing what my FIRST thought is.

>Naga/Giant hybrid finds itself in new body
>Kills itself (in character's original body)
>1d6 days later, character's soul is shunted out of the hybrid's body as the original soul replaces it (no save). Because the resurrection is a property of the hybrid's soul, not its physical form.
>Character's soul attempts to return to its original body.
>50% chance the character is now some kind of undead. I'm feeling...wight
>50% the character's body can't be reoccupied and the character is simply dead.

>can't even come up with literally anything other than "nothing happens"

Shit DM

this is assuming you're using deck of many things and anything goes why is a giant naga too crazy?