Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Friendly reminder to tell us what 3pp your game allows if you need character building help.

Now that Bloodforge: Infusions has given us so many subraces for tengu, even kakapos and hummingbirds, what's your favorite bird to play as in Pathfinder? Maybe you like the original kestrel from Bloodforge 1?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Horror Adventures: imgur.com/a/r2TOH
imgur.com/a/odYOE

Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warriors playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1dX4UYdtwTQKhY71Q45IHLtcu193zq1ZO5jHQ5_PnTl8/edit

Bloodforge: Infusions playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=920595
docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit?usp=sharing
d20pfsrd.com/alignment-description/carrying-capacity#TOC-Table-Encumbrance-Effects
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Harpy best bird!

Help me Veeky Forums.

I think I'm cursed.

Every time I try and play a Pathfinder game, something comes together to keep me from doing it. It's happened without fail for the past few months and I'm not sure what to do about it. It's making me want to stop even trying and just consign myself to homebrew, theorycrafting, and watching while everyone else has fun and something to DO.

Fuck you OP

myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=920595
Any pointers on how to optimize this character? I'm going for a heavy hitter in the melee and spell department, but so far I don't think I really need that much Wisdom. No 3pp please.

>Harpy
>not Tengu

You wot m8?

But the closest thing we have to harpies are kestrels.

Tengus for #1 bird

They're currently not allowing PoW at all because they think it's OP, right? Play something like a thf Warlord focused on Golden Lion maneuvers and other options that rely on improving and protecting the group. Get them comfortable with the system, maybe even get one or two other players to start looking at PoW and PoW:E options, then go zweihander in your next game. Zweihander is too preoptimized to drop into a group that already thinks PoW is OP, they'll just think you proved them "right", ban the book, and move on.

>oread
>Strength build
>speed 30 feet

I don't think so, Tim.

play an online game, or continue to try getting IRL games. The choice is yours.

Since when did /pfg/ become /bisexual monsterpeople and kitsune general/?

Been like this for at least a year, user.

over the weekend

Ever since we ran out of things we want to talk about.

Are these local groups, or online? PBPs are notoriously unreliable, and roll20 or similar are generally only a little better. Do you have a FLGS? A lot of them have weekly games with open tables so you can get your fix and make some new friends, maybe get your own home group put together.

It's been longer than that. Months, at least.

I can't even get into online or IRL games. Everytime I fucking try something comes up and I can't play. At this point I'm desperate for a game, even if it's a bit magical realm-y.

Based janitor-san.

What's your schedule? Why is it so volatile? Perhaps wait for it to calm down?

Is a black blade weapon by any chance equivalent to a masterwork for the Bladebound Magus?

I don't have an FLGS. There was one, but it closed down and became a hair product store. The closest one is a half-hour drive away :

I have the Boots of Striding and Springing, and I took Oread just because of the +2 Str +2 Wis
What would be a better race choice? I think I'm gonna shift the focus away from Wisdom since it doesn't really do all that much for my character

My schedule doesn't match up with the schedule of other people that I try to game with, which makes it impossible to play with others when I'm up at midnight and other folks are hitting the sack then.

Yes.

There's always taking the plunge and DMing your own game. You can buy an adventure module or something to cut down the work and, at least in my experience, DMs are usually in pretty high demand. Once you've run a few adventures, you'll have a group and may be able to find one of them who's willing to pick up DM duties.

Why isn't the legendary vigilantes playtest being included in the OP again?

docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit?usp=sharing

Now with MORE recycled 3.5 content, like Magic Killer!

Fuck you, OP.

Don't Strix exist in 1PP?

Yes. There's also the styrix, who are apparently evil owl people and the creators of the strix?

Try gaming with folks overseas. My GM is in New Zealand, so I end up gaming 11pm-6am, which might work better for you.

Those are Shrynx, or something?

Question about Wondrous item crafting.

Is there any way to speed up the process? Current party is Sorcerer, Oracle, Psychic Warrior. Psychic Warrior and Sorcerer have crafting, Oracle is too stupid (roleplaying a 6 int character) to pick up anything crafted related.

I have classes, which require me to be up at 6am. That might not work at all.

Yes, but most GM's ban them because 60 ft. Flight speed at level 1, and inbuilt flight that you then don't have to invest resources in and can't be dispelled even at later levels. I mean, unless you get polymorphed, and then only for however long that lasts.

Then you just sleep after the classes!

Correction, sleep when you are dead.

Or during, depending on the class.

Clipped Wings is a thing.

Syrinx.

Syrinx. Largely irrelevant. But they got to be in Inner Sea Races, which is more than Kuru and Shabti got.

I can't sleep after classes, and my connection in my classes is so spotty that I can't connect to IRC or Discord or Skype.

Take Leadership, jack up the DC to lower crafting time, and then pile on your minions with aid another checks.

Flightbreaker's a 3rd level spell. That puts monsters with similar abilities at CR 5 or higher.

You can add +5 to the DC to craft 1000gp in 4 hours instead of 8, effectively cutting the time in half. Cooperative Crafting halves the time again.

Aren't Kuru just humans after being cannibals for a couple hundred years?

If you don't have a solid chunk of time free, then you're simply not getting a game. Roll20 have a few "living" campaigns, which allow you to pop in-and-out whenever, but if you're looking for a story and leveling, that's not going to give you what you want. Otherwise, find a solid chunk of time to set aside for gaming, or don't game.

I think Kuru is also a prion disease named after the island and inhabitants of Kuru.

Those actually seem pretty impressive. A 1pp race with a 60 ft. fly speed, bonus to Wis, bonus to saves vs. mind-affecting, a racial ability to jack their Intimidate and fear DCs, and some other bonuses and abilities?

I'm just going to leave this in my map like this.

Yes. It is.

But why would you ever take it? Chances are you're playing a Strix for the flight speed, and even if you're not, most GM's find it easier to just ban the race altogether, especially so you don't sneak Stretched Wings onto your feat list.

Oh.

It sounds like the only viable option is a PBP. Not as satisfying, but serves in a pinch for someone with an erratic schedule.

They'd make real good Fearquisitors.
Also, you can go WHO!? when you're interrogating people.

What would your players be doing in there?

You could also arguably use the Amazing Tools of Manufacture.

Great. I hate PbP.

I didn't realize you could do that. Time to dump all my points into spellcraft next level.

Yeah, but if they make a harpy race without a fly speed people will bitch incessantly anyway, so you're back at square one.

The trash has to go somewhere and jannys have been cracking down.

I want to make a 1pp pseudo-Varangian.I am thinking of using the Ulfen Guard, should I start as a barbarian or try another base instead?

For a historical Guard, the class you'd want to go with would be Fighter, either a Lore Warden (they were well-trained and skilled in nonlethal takedowns) or Viking (they knew how to use their shields effectively and had a decent knowledge of Norse culture and combat-styles even if they'd been in Constantinople for generations).

if you're a wizard with a familiar, even better. Familiars have the Valet Archetype that gives Cooperative Crafting for freeeeee. Ask your GM about stacking that +5 too. It can really cut down on the times when you manage to get a fuckhuge Spellcraft. Some things can take months to craft if not.

I am not a wizard, but I can always pick up a familiar with Familiar Bond. It requires Iron Will, but at least it isn't a useless feat.

Fighter (Viking) is actually halfway decent, and lets you have Lawful alignment and rage.

If my character's base land speed is 50, what is his speed in Heavy Armor?

>What character are you waiting to play next /pfg/?

I want to play a Vigilante Warlock of some description at some point, complete with Jolly's content, at some point. Int or Cha, single or Gestalt, doesn't really matter. Just want the chance. After that? Actually getting to play a Magus would be nice.

If I ever get to do use PoW content though, I'd want to play a Bushi/Brutal Slayer Stalker that quickdraws a Nodachi, hopefully refluffed to be a more generic "giant fucking curved sword". I don't care that stalker keeps getting called the "worst PoW 1 class", it looks fun as fuck.

35 ft. 25 in Stoneplate.
Medium to Heavy armor reduces land speed by 25%, rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5.

For a 50 ft move speed, this would reduce speed by 12.5 feet, giving you 37.5ft of movement, which rounds down to 35.

35 ft

d20pfsrd.com/alignment-description/carrying-capacity#TOC-Table-Encumbrance-Effects

You should have written 'Medium and Heavy armor' rather than 'to', which could give the wrong idea that only Heavy armor reduces speed.

What order do bonuses and penalties go in?

Like, does the speed reduction only apply based off your base speed, or your current total speed?

>Faster than the light armored team members by 5 feet
>In heavy armor

base, I believe. If your base is 30, then you add something because of enhancement bonus, you add the enhancement bonus after. If something bumps up your base speed, then it changes your base, then the penalties apply. What kind of bonus to speed do you have?

(me)
Self-correction after looking at the table again:
Medium and Heavy armor appear to reduce speed by 33%, rounded up to the nearest multiple of 5.

For 50 ft base, this gives the same result, but if your base speed increases somehow, just look at the table.

>I don't care that stalker keeps getting called the "worst PoW 1 class", it looks fun as fuck.

It's important to remember that that description involves a sliding scale. I'd still rather have my players showing up with stalkers or akashic characters than most 1pp classes that may or may not have the basic tools necessary for me to run a challenging high fantasy game. It's not as powerful as a warder or warlord due to its passive maneuver recovery method, but it's still going to be more effective than having a monk, fighter, rogue, cavalier, samurai, or ranger in the group.

Base speed is modified by penalties first, like the reduction from wearing heavy armor. Then you apply enhancement bonuses and the like.

Buy a Sash of the War Champion and go full speed. METAL SANIC.

I also need help naming a character but unfortunately my character may or may not be related to another in the party so this is a ton harder on top of needing them to have a Jojo name. Any advice?

I just recently started looking into Path of War stuff.
1) Are any of the expanded classes good or better than the first set of classes?
2) Why is the Stalker considered the worse of the the three? Warder has to sit a full round doing nothing to recover maneuvers. Stalker seems like a really well built rogue.

Jojo name, huh? Something referencing a famous singer, band, song, or album is probably most appropriate. Preferably one that sounds good when shouted in an extremely hammy Japanese accent.

Warder ends up doing a lot with it's expanded reach and AoOs

Stalker kinda just does shittons of damage. Unless you go Brutal Slayer/Bushi like user talked about and use Elemental Flux,along with Riven Hourglass and Veiled Moon. Shit is cash

Stalker's better than the Rogue, but the Warder's recovery method is actually a usable ability all on its own - for a defense-oriented class, expanding reach and boosting AC for a round are useful things to be able to do freely. INT combat reflexes also negates the need for massive DEX on a reach weapon build, so Zwei Sentinel becomes optimal for most Warders because of the excessive reach you can acquire.

Warlord has the best recovery method in the game, as far as I'm aware. Nobody else can use a strike every single turn forever - and the benefits Gambits grant, if you have high Charisma, are equivalent to if not better than low-level Boosts, and many are party-wide buffs rather than personal ones.

Stalker's recovery method is mediocre by comparison, and its class features are... Well, they're Rogue features, and Rogue isn't good to begin with.

Frankly, Hidden Blade Rogue is probably a better Rogue than Stalker is. It's INT-based Gambit recovery like a Warlord with access to unlimited sneak attacks so long as somebody's also adjacent to whatever they're stabbing. They can also gain invisibility in combat via the stealth gambit from 1st level onward, and with Unchained Rogue you get Weapon Finesse for free and don't even necessarily need Deadly Agility after 3rd level so long as they focus on just one weapon. Finally, there are many maneuvers that outright make the attack be a flat-footed one, but they also deal bonus damage, so you can rival an archery soulburning stalker in buckets of d6's if you want.

Bushi kind of compensates for the Stalker's shit recovery method, though only after level 6. Once you hit that point, you really have no excuse for running out of maneuvers.

Don't forget the Hawkguard Warder. It actually has much to offer ranged characters as well, and its defensive ability gets pretty nuts.

It does, but I still prefer Warlord for archery. Pinhole Gambit and Flanker's Gambit combo is fantastic, and if I'm using a bow, I'm going for a HEAVY WEAPONS ELF rather than a defender sort of build.

I'm not sure that'll work with the character especially since the stand and the psi-crystal have song names and I'd feel weird if they weren't connected to the character's reference then.

>Cast Expeditious Retreat
>Move 80ft as a regular move action

>1) Are any of the expanded classes good or better than the first set of classes?

PoW:E was written with the benefit of a lot of hindsight and additional feedback, so yeah, some of the classes are arguably better on a subjective scale, but they're also much more focused and gimmicky. Personally, the original three classes are still my favorites, with Warder at the top of the list.

>2) Why is the Stalker considered the worse of the the three? Warder has to sit a full round doing nothing to recover maneuvers. Stalker seems like a really well built rogue.

Stalker is like a really well built rogue actually, which is why it's considered the worst. It's recovery mechanic doesn't mesh as well with its other abilities, so where other initiators can continually build momentum, the stalker sort of has to reset every so often to regain maneuvers.

>

The Stalker still gets movement, concealment/total concealment, a boost to AC, and adds his massive damage bonus once he finishes.

Is that really not enough to make up for the increased threatened range and AoO that the warder gets?

Also the Warlord looks like he has the best. His gambits aren't amazing with the rewards, but they are a swift action and you there are many martial strikes that can be used to fulfill gambits so you don't waste that turn. Plus getting his Cha modifier to any D20 roll while attempting those gambits means a lot even if it is only a +2 or +3 early.

The mystic can be a little tough to use in online games due to its recovery mechanic. However, it is a solid class with plenty to offer, as do its archetypes. It also can lead into the Animus Adept, which adds very decent buffs and effects for the party, mostly as part of your existing actions. Bigger deal though is Expanded's archetypes for non-initiator classes, like the Rubato and the Myrmidon. Fucking gold for the most part.

The stalker's a BAB15 (less accurate) class with a focus on strikes. It's not that it's bad, it's just that at higher levels you shouldn't be running out of maneuvers to begin with in a given encounter at all, and the others just have so much to offer. Again though; the stalker's not bad at all.

Because you're Gareth's friend, and thereby have lost our fickle favor. Begone, knave.

Hawkguard is probably the coolest archetype for the warder. Kind of funny considering it was written by Errantx and Sslarn.

user no longer wants to give his silk things to put around gareth's lance?

The fuck is a living campaign?

If he ran, he'd be going at 90 miles per hour
In full plate

It also offers things ranged characters really need and normally (THANKS, 1PP OBAMA) get only at like levels 10+, like NOT PROVOKING WHEN YOU SHOOT.

An x4 run on 80ft is 53.333ft/second (don't forget a round means you divide by 6).

That's actually 36.34 miles per hour.

Well, every other player on the planet hates the guy who might show up for two hours mid session. Greater good, asshole. Block out four to six hours of your life, find a group who can accommodate that, or resign yourself to your shitty fate.

90 miles per hour would be 792 feet per second.

That's a move speed of 198, or 158.4 if you can run x5 instead.

I actually really like the stalker, I'm just discussing why people think it's not as good as the other PoW classes.
The expanded reach and AoOs of the warder can actually stack up to a pretty ridiculous amount of damage. When you're locking down 30 ft. cubes of territory, it's not terribly difficult to use up all of your AoOs every round and essentially get multiple full attacks worth of damage every single turn.
Warlord, of course, is the only class that can just use strikes round after round indefinitely, and with the right teamwork feats it can get even more attacks going.
The stalker does competitive damage per hit, but it falls off greatly when you look at the damage metrics over the course of entire rounds or encounters.

I would rather drive my lance through Gareth's silk things.

If you know what I mean.