ESPORTS meets Veeky Forums - Pro Mini Circuit

Anyone else interested in a "Pro Mini Circuit"?

Temp lineup -

War hammer 40k 1500 pts
Age of Sigmar 1700 pts
Infinity the game

Anyone else would be pumped for a Professional Miniatures series that streamed on twitch and had some nice eye candy on the stream doing interviews and shit?

The traditional games community should band together and make the dream happen. Competitive gaming is the hottest shit right now.

The most important thing about a Warhammer Army is that they're your guys, like that lowly Guardsman Sergeant who killed two terminators with nought but a chainsword and laspistol to win Close Combat, and then you name him and put a terminator helmet on his base. Or those grots who managed to tank leman Russ shots all game from hiding in a building holding ObSec. Watching someone else's army isn't the same by far

The most important things would be:

1. Good announcers who can explain what's going on and add drama to the situation.
2. Good production quality

Optional: Cool graphics to explain the moves.

>Anyone else interested in a "Pro Mini Circuit"?

On paper yes. I'd love the idea of being able to watch professional players play mini games.

The problem is vidya esports comes with a bucketload of drama and terrible people that I would rather avoid in my Veeky Forums hobbies.

scrub mindset

miniature pro scene would be more hilarious than anything. It would make excellent fodder for king of kong style docus

Way easier for it to happen on a virtual tabletop with commentators.

they already have shit like this on youtube. are you trying to make a network or channel or something?

MLG 40k

While I would love to see this happen, I see two big obstacles. 1- Entertainment ventures like this live on ad revenue. I don't see companies that have the money/marketing budget to invest in something like this. The big players in wargaming (GW basically if we are talking about companies that even come close to the $$ seen invested in e-sports) won't want to support anything that isn't specifically their product. So maybe someday, someway, you get Warhammer pro scene. Not holding breath for anything else.

2- People need something to keep their attention for a spectator sport. Even baseball is having problems with keeping enough people watching. You would need it to be speed play, with flashy virtual overlays, and very good commentators especially considering the abstration within wargames is far beyond any sport or video game.

Would be cool though...

What about a VR / AR focused tabletop game?

You'd be looking at two different companies coming together to get that to work.

>E"""""""SPORT"""""""""
What a joke.

pro wh40k is a sport

I mean, a VR overlay for an existing wargame would be one of the best ways to do it. Once again, where is the cheddar gonna come from? Unless some crazy wargaming nerd hits a billion $ Powerball and decided to throw money at it, nobody else is gonna make that. As of now the advertising it would provide would be so minimally useful to the major players in the industry, there would be no benefit to sinking the money required into developing both the tech and talent required, but also the market for the spectators. Look at e-sports. Broodwar came out fucking years ago and e-sports is just now truly taking off. It only required a small 1st world nation making it their effective national pastime, investment from a company that got lucky and made a money printing machine (Blizz and WoW), and ESPN to finally realize that no one gives a shit about baseball and hockey anymore and try to find something to fill the airtime (after even adding poker to the mix a decade ago). In addition MOBAs happened and gaming became "mainstream". When all those stars align for Warhammer, Warmachine, and Infinity maybe we will get lucky. We'd probably see something like X-Wing (fucking Disney) or Magic (which already has pro stuff, just barely known outside of the hobby) hit first.

Nah, MTG has vendor ran tournaments with professional coverage.

It's not that expensive to add quality coverage to existing events. The cost for this type of streaming and the people able to do it make the barrier to entry lower than ever

Broodwar only had TV options, not online streaming like twitch.

It has to do more with the tiny size of competitive mini gaming than that coverage is too expensive..

A lot of warhammer assets already exist in various video games. It wouldn't be that expensive aside from rights to the assets to plug them into a VR tabletop experience.

You could easily for instance create assets for DoW 3 that you also use for a basic VR tabletop test.

I did say Magic has pro stuff. But the bottom line, when people talk about something being a professional scene they are talking about the kind of money behind it that means the top players do it for a job, they make a living off of it. I don't see the current incarnation (or any close descendent) of streaming/broadcasting producing the kind of money for anyone in a player role to see anything beyond amateur sized purses. Regardless of how good the commentators and cameras are. Is Battle foam going to start giving thousand dollar endorsement deals? Is PP going to start flying people around to tournaments and paying their room and board while they roll face at conventions? Maybe with the way the market is heading (the advent of Kickstarter having returned a slight bit of life to the tabletop game industry) we get one or two of the singularly excellent players get this at some point in our lives, but I don't see it.

That's a bit ridiculous though.

Even to get to that point which is very improbable, the first step of having some sort of circuit would have to exist.

Every single big tourney winning name i have played vs in a game of 40k has without fail been a very bad game and if during travels i happen across one i go out of my way to NOT play them any more.

Every single one i have come across played with very subtle (sometimes not so much) cheating methods.

I know tourneys are pay to enter and you are going for an award and i can understand taking a strong list to a tourney vs taking a fluffy list. but holy shit they hyper competitive cheating assholes ruin everything they touch.

True that. I very much desire for something floor that to happen. I am just not optimistic about it. That being said, if something of that kind started for the games I was involved in, I would be very quick to jump on board.

Are you sure you just didn't get out skilled?

Why do you think Infinity isn't played as much in the competitive environment

I think the idea is cool but

Tornyfags ruin everything I don't need to esport faggots shitting up Veeky Forums like they do on generals in Veeky Forums

>40k
>skills other than listbuilding / purchasing

>cheating methods
That's a bit inspecific. Got any examples?

Before tabletop games can get to that level, they really need to grow their player base first.